Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think its as simple as the Wrestlers personalitys are written so badly people can't relate to them

and the few that are sort of over, New Day, Owens , Bryan are like real people more or less , there BELIEVABLE just like Lesnar and Rollins are/were

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think its as simple as the Wrestlers personalitys are written so badly people can't relate to them

and the few that are sort of over, New Day, Owens , Bryan are like real people more or less , there BELIEVABLE just like Lesnar and Rollins are/were

New Day are nothing like real people. They were good when they thought they were a face team who couldn't understand why the crowd hated them. Now, they're wearing unicorn horns. They're paddling in circles. No direction for their characters whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭CSF

briany wrote: »
    Reigns would make a great smarmy heel in the Orton mold. However, I still wonder just as we say Vince is out of touch with us (the IWC), is the IWC out of touch with the kids who Reigns is apparently being marketed to? So when we say Reigns isn't working out, we could well be saying that from our own bubble. And you might say, "Well, my son/daughter/nephew/niece is not too impressed by him." OK, but that's still only a sample of one, or a handful. Until I see an honest to god breakdown of the demographics that WWE's revenue streams come from, I can never totally say that Reigns is not working out.

I think the WWE's woes extend far beyond Reigns, though. He's only a symptom of the banal and sterile product they're trying to push. And beyond that, I think the WWE's way of doing business is only a symptom of a more connected, yet disconnected, more PC, yet more cynical society. I think wrestling has forgotten how to tell the kind of stories that they could in the old days and that's a problem you can't really point the finger at any one factor and say it's the cause, 'cause it's all connected, really. So, when fans yearn for the glory days of the late 90s and the excitement that was produced, they're really asking for way more than wrestlers copping a little 'Attitude'.
    I can't state beyond doubt that Reigns is or isn't because I'm not a kid and I can't think like one. While the figures aren't in front of us, I don't think any of the obvious indicators are pointing in his favour, the information that we do have to work off.

Obviously Cena is the benchmark we have to work off, all hero faces right now have got to be judged by how close they can get to his stature (although right now it seems nobody will until WWE shake things up big time).

When Cena is booed, he gets a positive reaction from kids in equal measure. Reigns gets crickets far more often than he gets any real positive reaction. It's been obvious the audio has had to be doctored for him on so many occasions. You can't avoid seeing kids dressed in Cena gear in the crowd on TV or at live shows here. I don't really see much Reigns gear.

The show has gone seriously downhill both in terms of crowd reaction and ratings since it has become centred around him. Obviously this integrates other demographics too but there is little evidence to suggest kids are rallying around him or tuning into their TV to watch him in their thousands.

But obviously this has to go into a bit of context. Kids are kids, they'll like anyone who comes in as a hero to save the day. My 12 year old brother thought Ryback was the greatest thing in the world around Survivor Series last year, hates Reigns although that's probably influenced by my opinions.

So of course as a hero face he will be somewhat popular in that demographic but I don't see any obvious indicators to suggest that he's any more popular than say Ambrose, Ziggler or Ryback who all play the same role with ****tier booking.

Thing about Cena is that, no matter what you think of him, he originally got over organically with his rapping character, something that came out of the real life rapping he did down the back of the bus with some of the boys during a European tour, so even Cena, seen by many as the corporate champion got over in the same type of way as the rest of the greats, but McMahon and co. seem to keep trying to pick a guy and push him. It never works but they keep trying. And I believe they will keep trying until doing so puts them in such financial jeopardy that they have to find another way. Whether it be the adults or the kids, there appears to be someone keeping WWE in business.

Now, the WWE complaint train has been gathering pace recently on the Internet, once again. Pundits like Keller are scoring points on Twitter pointing out the most obvious failings. Dissatisfaction seems to be at an all-time high. What I can't understand is whether or not this is putting WWE in a vulnerable position. Is there an opportunity for a rival promotion to strike? Why do they appear to remain on the periphery, if not floundering then basically treading water? TNA's been backed by a large company and yet, in all the time they've been around, they've never been any kind of real threat to WWE. ROH, Chikara and Lucha Underground are trumpeted by the smark fans, but if what the wrestling world is crying out for is that brand of entertainment, why aren't they making more in-roads? It's like some people say WWE is doomed but then it also seems like it's unassailable, because no one seems able to take it on. ECW managed to make more waves back in the 90s, without much help from the Internet or network television and was a major catalyst for a sea change in how wrestling was presented. I don't know if it's because interest overall is waning but, as I say, I think WWE's problems extend beyond the organisation itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

If WWE is doomed, it's taking everyone else down with it.

With NXT they're their own competition.

• Advertisement

Ridley wrote: »

NXT is not a competitor brand really. That's just something the IWC likes to crow about. It's a nice alternative for some fans, but it's only meant as a transitory place in the grand scheme of WWE. Essentially, it's like an in-house ECW. A crowd made up of smart marks who feel this is 'their' thing, and wrestlers who play to that. Some of these wrestlers, like Owens, will end up headlining Wrestlemania. Others, like the Vaudevillians, will probably end up being released or busted back down for repackaging.

But in-house competition is likely to be the only real competition that WWE will face in wrestling and is why they should go back to a version of the brand split, but with RAW being like the Premier League, Smackdown being like the Championship and NXT feeding both of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ridley wrote: »

WWE own and run NXT so :confused::confused::confused:
    I'll watch New Japan instead tbh or old stuff

ERG89 wrote: »
    WWE own and run NXT so :confused::confused::confused:
    I'll watch New Japan instead tbh or old stuff

I just re-watched Bret vs Austin from WM 13. TBH, even if you let the current guys off the leash, I don't think you could match that kind of intensity 'cause there were more factors to it than simple 'better writing' or unscripted promos.
    Watching old RAWs from '97 made me realise that people are still talking about the 'Pipe Bomb' promo that Punk did - well, Cornette was dropping pipe bomb promos right throughout 1997 on RAW, and that was just as an aside. Makes you think about how starved we are of anything really juicy these days. Maybe it is better to simply watch the old stuff and simply check in from time to time for highlights of the new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Omackeral wrote: »
    HH where have you been lately brother? Missed you around here!

College assignments holding me down with a gun to my head the last few weeks, had to hold of on celebrating my 18th and generally watching wrestling too. Haven't missed much at least :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Roman Reigns, Roman Reigns, where the hell do i start?? Last night, after
    losing yet again for the umpteenth time, they TRIED to make him interesting by having him flip out and go postal, swinging for The League Of Nations after the match, then going after Triple H, WHY MAKE HIM INTERESTING LAST NIGHT, where the hell was this full of piss & vinegar Roman after being screwed out of the title at Wrestlemania 31,
    Post Mania Reigns should've reverted back to the less talking, more ass kicking, like he was in The SHIELD, but no WWE forced him down our collective throats trying to make him Cena MKII, that has failed big time, you know how i know Reigns has failed as a top guy, live crowd had absolute ZERO ****S to give about the Reigns/Sheamus TLC match, and the live crowd were chanting ''WE WANT CENA'', I heard, everybody else heard it, but did Vincent Kennedy McMahon hear it, **** no, he's so out of touch at this point, it's like he's doing it out of spite/pride, afraid of admitting that he's wrong, well Vince, time to swallow that pride and admit Reigns has failed..

I tried to give WWE the time, and my money, but after last night, NO MORE.. I have serious, serious doubts about Raw tonight and onwards towards The Road To Wrestlemania..

/Rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Good news about Mauro Ranallo joining SD. He can be a bit one tone and over the top but he's a lot better than anybody else out there at the moment. Have mainly seen him do boxing but also New Japan. Hope it's a sign of change..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Good news about Mauro Ranallo joining SD. He can be a bit one tone and over the top but he's a lot better than anybody else out there at the moment. Have mainly seen him do boxing but also New Japan. Hope it's a sign of change..

Yeah a good signing by wwe. Assume he's replacing Michael Clone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

triple-h.jpeg

Seing this pic in another thread gave me a random wrassling thought.

Imagine if Trips (or even say Cena) won the NXT title! The Internet would go into meltdown methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What's really scary is all this time and his promo "skills" haven't even improved 1%
    Yeah he really isn't that great on the microphone. I felt a bit embarrassed for him when he came down to the ring at the start of SmackDown this week to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Roman needs to become a Paul Heyman guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

After Vince's masterful job in getting Reigns over as champ (for a night at least) its hard to believe he is the same guy who oversees this show every week. How often does somebody sell a move for a fraction of the time Vince did. He lay dead for 10 mins before Reigns kicked him out of the ring. Obviously a wrestler can't do that but so little is booked like it's main event or even matters.

They almost always pull it out of the bag for the big shows. It seems with a bit more effort it could be a lot better.

Seems to me than they spend a lot more time writing for HHH and McMahons and any old **** for Reigns will do.

Reigns could be a good heel. He reminds me of Miz. He just has a hateable quality to him.

Owens is brilliant. Easily my current favourite.

Fair play to Sheamus too. He's done well given the position they've put him in. He is great in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Whoever runs the WWE Twitter may have had one too many drinks

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/678689895569752064

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well he deserves it with Kane being a close second. I know I and everyone here will be voting for him.

:pac:

I'm sure Reigns will sweep the board anyway

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Spotted one saying RT for Stardust to win, so they are just throwing names out there.

Seth should win though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Angron wrote: »
    Spotted one saying RT for Stardust to win, so they are just throwing names out there.

Seth should win though.

LOL. Reigns wins megalols.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

5df.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Just had a random thought, I think it would be good to have an NXT title match at Wrestlemania...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Reebrock wrote: »
    Just had a random thought, I think it would be good to have an NXT title match at Wrestlemania...

I think they have a show on that weekend themselves, as in a Takeover. Last years idea was decent in that they let an NXT star into the battle royal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think they have a show on that weekend themselves, as in a Takeover. Last years idea was decent in that they let an NXT star into the battle royal.

A good idea badly executed as Itami was eliminated without doing much of anything if I remember correctly. Possibly by Big Show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A good idea badly executed as Itami was eliminated without doing much of anything if I remember correctly. Possibly by Big Show?

Correct. That up and coming blue chipper went on to win the Battle Royal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yup. Tossed out like a geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Speaking of Itami will they reveal who kayfabe attacked him in parking lot or just write it off as an unsolved mystery? Or has it already been revealed?

I would be a good angle to turn Balor heel if they want to go down that route with him or could be a good way to debut someone new on NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

I hope it's that slob with the ballerina legs Corbin, after he wins Finn's title in a battle of the death promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

One thing that will always annoy me about Rollins winning the title at Mania, is that they didn't do his entrance music right.

They used his outro music as his intro, so it took me a second or two to realise what was happening. It's only missing the little bit at the start missing but it's always bugged me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I feel that made the moment for me. Those few seconds of "what is about to happen" and excitement. Was brilliant, that being said with the curb stomp banned the moment is forever cut to fcuking shreds when shown and ruins it for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement