Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I've really grown to dislike the wwe title. It just looks awkward in every hands and around there waist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It's really grown on me, and I'm glad they've turned it back to one belt, after the 2 titles before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

sky88 wrote: »
    I've really grown to dislike the wwe title. It just looks awkward in every hands and around there waist.

Totally agree would love to see them return to a championship more akin to this

DSCN3968.jpg

Thats a prestigious looking title.

h861.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

One thing that will always annoy me about Rollins winning the title at Mania, is that they didn't do his entrance music right.

They used his outro music as his intro, so it took me a second or two to realise what was happening. It's only missing the little bit at the start missing but it's always bugged me.

But his music starts off a bit slow to match the image of him sprinting to the ring like Bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bobby Heenan saying "who's side is he on," about hogan at the bash at the beach 96 didn't ruin the turn IMO.

I mean Heenan had been saying the same thing about hogan for years. He was always the manager of the guy against hulk. He even says at the contract signing before wm3 that the current belt was made for a human being and "I use that phrase loosely."

Him saying what he said was par for course in terms of his character with regard to hogan for over ten years at that point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd actually agree it was par for the course but at that time he ideally would have used some other anti-hogan sentiment as what he actually achieved was putting the idea that Hogan may in fact be the third man in peoples mind right before he actually turned, a turn which was supposed to be (and still was tbh but maybe to a lesser extent) shocking and in doing so he somewhat lessened the shock value.

Still an awesome moment and an awesome commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Be Gas if just once someone sprinting the ramp at a mania tripped. I'm a terrible person but imagine lil' Naitch falling while running in to ref a match or Rollins going arse over tit when going to cash in. I'd lose my s#it

Be Gas if just once someone sprinting the ramp at a mania tripped. I'm a terrible person but imagine lil' Naitch falling while running in to ref a match or Rollins going arse over tit when going to cash in. I'd lose my s#it

Closest examples I can think of off the top of my head to that is Vince at Rumble 05 tearing his quad either doing his "Vince walk" or when sliding into the ring and Ultimo Dragon nearly going on to his face on I think his Smackdown debut . Also some hilarious slips in the video below

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The League of Nations should re-introduce this as a heat mechanism instead of the US Title.

latest?cb=20140719011950

I know Del Rio doesn't exactly fit the narrative but he could say he respects the European values of aristocracy and the LoN more than the slovenly American ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Bobby Heenan saying "who's side is he on," about hogan at the bash at the beach 96 didn't ruin the turn IMO.

I mean Heenan had been saying the same thing about hogan for years. He was always the manager of the guy against hulk. He even says at the contract signing before wm3 that the current belt was made for a human being and "I use that phrase loosely."

Him saying what he said was par for course in terms of his character with regard to hogan for over ten years at that point.

I can see you point but IMHO it was very much a;; about the moment, I think if they sold it full blown as Hulkster saving the day it would have had even more impact than it did.

The "who's side is he on" with the subtlety of a sledgehammer by Heenan (although very much true to form) makes you subconsciously doubt Hogan immediately and sort of ruins it.

I'm sure it is noted but the comment seemed to totally throw Schiavone. I don't know what you think but Heenan definitely threw his fellow commentators. Their tones are complete off once Heenan delivered the line.

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where they were saying that Tony Schiavone took a couple of shots at the WWF during the last Nitro, apparently saying something about William Regal in retaliation for something that Regal had said first. Apparently he later said that he wasn't expecting a job with the company so he didn't care (or something to that effect). I think he could have been a good asset for them to have later on, if they had waited a while before bringing him in, but I guess he already had his baseball job lined up already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where they were saying that Tony Schiavone took a couple of shots at the WWF during the last Nitro, apparently saying something about William Regal in retaliation for something that Regal had said first. Apparently he later said that he wasn't expecting a job with the company so he didn't care (or something to that effect). I think he could have been a good asset for them to have later on, if they had waited a while before bringing him in, but I guess he already had his baseball job lined up already.

Tony actually worked for the WWF back in 89/90. I'm not sure if he left on bad terms or was ran out the door.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Tony actually worked for the WWF back in 89/90. I'm not sure if he left on bad terms or was ran out the door.

From what I remember I think his contract just expired with WWF and he wanted to return to WCW. His call on Royal Rumble 90 was really good. Tony was really good in the late 80's - early 90's but he seemed to lose 90% of his motivation after Bischoff got the Executive Producer gig ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

" Tonight may just be the greatest ever night in the history of our sport."

Every god damn night. Was never much a fan I hate to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

LeeJM wrote: »
    From what I remember I think his contract just expired with WWF and he wanted to return to WCW. His call on Royal Rumble 90 was really good. Tony was really good in the late 80's - early 90's but he seemed to lose 90% of his motivation after Bischoff got the Executive Producer gig ahead of him.

Yeah by the end you can tell he doesn't care at all. He's phoning it in.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think he just realised he was probably never going to be the main play by play.

I think he just realised he was probably never going to be the main play by play.

To be fair he called a SummerSlam and a Royal Rumble (cant recall if he did Survivor Series) in his time there. He also did alot of Superstars and Wrestling Challenge. He probably did all the international shows too. I also thought he had decent chemistry with Jesse, probably the best apart from Vince.

To be fair Vince McMahon has been known to be a bit difficult to work with and as you said there, the best apart from Vince. He was probably never going to be in the role Vince was in.

To be fair Vince McMahon has been known to be a bit difficult to work with and as you said there, the best apart from Vince. He was probably never going to be in the role Vince was in.

Vince difficult to work with?!?!?!?!?! Im shocked thats even being suggested :pac:

• Advertisement

I always got the impression anyway that Tony just knew what his ceiling was with the WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I really enjoyed NXT from late 2011-early 2012 when they phased out the competition element and the likes of Curt Hawkins, Tyler Reks, Johnny Curtis, Maxine, Derrick Bateman were given a bit of creative control over the show each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Big Show should use that old Flair retirement storyline where the next time he is pinned he will retire.
    It'd be a fun long term storyline & the guy who beats him would be super over overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'm watching last Mondays RAW here and the AA that Cena gave Sheamus could have turned out bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

ERG89 wrote: »
    Big Show should use that old Flair retirement storyline where the next time he is pinned he will retire.
    It'd be a fun long term storyline & the guy who beats him would be super over overnight.

Who should Big Show put over in his retirement? I hope he puts over someone who can get a rub from it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

As much as we rag on Show, giving us a definitive "Giant Killer" could be awesome. I would certainly make it a big deal. Two ways a monster guy to make him an even bigger monster (somebody Brock-esque) or a young talented talent that over skills BS winning perfectly against him (Balor).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Big Show is only 43 he still has another decade in him if he wants.

Yep Show aint going anywhere anytime soon. He doesnt need to be in a featured or meaningful role on tv but the please retire thing is silly. Show is a great ambassador for WWE, he looks good going on chat shows and interacting with fans. He is also great when involved with celebs on WWE tv. And he is still capable of having some really good matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

LeeJM wrote: »
    Yep Show aint going anywhere anytime soon. He doesnt need to be in a featured or meaningful role on tv but the please retire thing is silly. Show is a great ambassador for WWE, he looks good going on chat shows and interacting with fans. He is also great when involved with celebs on WWE tv. And he is still capable of having some really good matches.

I like the big show but he needs to be used less then he was this year. Make him a special attraction who pops up with a feud every now and again

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    I like the big show but he needs to be used less then he was this year. Make him a special attraction who pops up with a feud every now and again

Absolutely I agree. They need to make him a face and keep him a face too. No more "oh look Big Shows a heel.......AGAIN"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement