Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why did wwe decide put the rumble on the same night as the NFL Finals, surly the viewership will be down for the rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    why did wwe decide put the rumble on the same night as the NFL Finals, surly the viewership will be down for the rumble.

Royal Rumble or NFL Championship games, decisions, decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

PTH2009 wrote: »

Because every year since 2004 the Rumble has been on the last Sunday in Jan. The NFL finals being on is just one of them things. Realistically its not gonna hurt PPVs buys all that much. And anyone that has the network can watch as soon as the football is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

LeeJM wrote: »
    Because every year since 2004 the Rumble has been on the last Sunday in Jan. The NFL finals being on is just one of them things. Realistically its not gonna hurt PPVs buys all that much. And anyone that has the network can watch as soon as the football is over.

most will just tune for the rumble match itself (starting at about 2.45am for us, 9.45/8.45pm usa) when the football could be over

Ok well good for them. Also Id expect the Rumble to start around 2.15am for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think they should split the US and Intercontinental titles between Smackdown and Raw. Of course, one downside to this is people who want to see a particular superstar who's champ or competing for the title won't see them on the other brand. But at the same time it will give more time to one title's storyline.

Before, an issue with the different brands was that some people didn't have the channel it aired on, but the fact that both shows are now on USA, they should be more comfortable with believing people will tune in for both shows.

Also because of this I think they need to start relying more on that to save repeating storylines/matches on Raw and tell the story as if it's airing 2 episodes a week instead of airing 1 episode and a recap episode each week.

I think they could very easily do the brand split again. Including male and female wrestlers they could get 60 odd wrestlers in the active roster and that's not including NXT guys like Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries and others like AJ Styles and Shinsuke Nakamura who will probably be going into the main roster.

So could very easily split the roster for both shows, bring back brand exclusive ppvs so you are giving storylines at least two months to develop and build a story up for rivalries.

Also cutting Raw back to a two hour show would probably be the easiest thing they could do at the moment to help with ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was watching a Candace LaRae match yesterday where she faced her now fiancée Johnny Gargano. They put on a great match, I thought. Really entertaining. Was she ever offered a WWE deal? Probably too old for them now, though with Johnny there it would be a good time to get her in.

Could very well see her in WWE this year seeing as they are snapping up a lot of indy talent and NXT loves it female wrestlers and actually lets them perform and doesn't see them as filler like on Raw or the Raw catch up show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rusev looked like he's lost weight or something at the Rumble. Haven't seen too much of him wrestling lately but he looked different

Has the Rumble always being a competitor enters the ring every 90 seconds? Always thought it was every 60seconds.

• Advertisement

It used to vary a lot between 2 mins and 90 seconds and I think they only did the 60 seconds twice (once in I think 95 and then for the 40 man Rumble). But Im fairly certain its been 90 seconds for all the recent Rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

LeeJM wrote: »
    It used to vary a lot between 2 mins and 90 seconds and I think they only did the 60 seconds twice (once in I think 95 and then for the 40 man Rumble). But Im fairly certain its been 90 seconds for all the recent Rumbles.

It actually varies a bit between 90 and 120 seconds

A guy over on Reddit analysed this years timings

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/42m8ea/royal_rumble_slight_spoilers_i_was_curious_how/

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was watching a Candace LaRae match yesterday where she faced her now fiancée Johnny Gargano. They put on a great match, I thought. Really entertaining. Was she ever offered a WWE deal? Probably too old for them now, though with Johnny there it would be a good time to get her in.

I'd just opt for a painless divorce rather than enter WWE with my spouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While I enjoyed The Rocks return, hes was acting and looking like a walking wellness violation.

Between him, Hunter and Vince, WWEs wellness policy clearly only applys to the full time talent

• Registered Users Posts: 60,620 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What will live crowds actually chant when something really Awesome happens because right now if something slightly ok happens they break out the "This is Awesome" chant.

Sure they're a strange crowd anyway. Look at last night's Raw. They chanted This is Awesome for AJ/Y2J yet barely made a sound when AJ came out

beakerjoe wrote: »
    While I enjoyed The Rocks return, hes was acting and looking like a walking wellness violation.

Between him, Hunter and Vince, WWEs wellness policy clearly only applys to the full time talent

You mean full time talent who aren't buddies with the management.

Dunno if it was said before, but while watching Brock I was trying to think who could match his style of being really heavy hitting and thought I would like to see him against Joe. I know it won't happen at Mania but maybe Summerslam?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

They really are giving Bray Wyatt some steller opponents for Wrestlemania. If as rumored, he meets Brock this year, his last 3 Wrestlemania opponents will have been:

Brock Lesnar
    The Undertaker
    John Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Officer999 wrote: »
    They really are giving Bray Wyatt some steller opponents for Wrestlemania. If as rumored, he meets Brock this year, his last 3 Wrestlemania opponents will have been:

Brock Lesnar
    The Undertaker
    John Cena

But he's lost to two of them so I'll never believe he'll have a hope in he'll against Brock

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

But he's lost to two of them so I'll never believe he'll have a hope in he'll against Brock

THIS. This is the problem with Bray, he's lost so much he's not a threat, I really feel there's no way back for Wyatt. He's barely hanging onto the position he has, it won't be long before he'll be Rusev-ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Loughc wrote: »
    THIS. This is the problem with Bray, he's lost so much he's not a threat, I really feel there's no way back for Wyatt. He's barely hanging onto the position he has, it won't be long before he'll be Rusev-ed.

And its a real Shame. He's good in ring can wrestle with practically anyone. Yeah his promos are a bit rambling. But it should have been a great character. But he never had a sustained push not even push but he was never made look like he had any strength. A waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I used to feel that way but I've kinda come full circle on Bray since they've started executing the Family aspect much better recently. Bray and the family are based on Charles Manson. Manson? Wasn't a tough guy himself. He was a charismatic enigma who could get people on-side to do his bidding. Even if you've seen the show Aquarius (and I recommend it), although it's fictional but based on real events, it depicts Manson constantly getting his arse kicked and not being an intimidating figure but a presence people feared because of the power of his words. So, with that in mind, it totally makes sense for Bray to be beaten if people can figure out a way to nullify the Family and get him one-on-one. But as a foursome? They should be unstoppable. I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have him beat Brock at Mania with the four of them proving too much, though I wouldn't put money anywhere near it.

The problem, for me, with Bray is that I don't think they've figured out how his character fits into the WWE world. What's his motivation? They used to have it where he tried to get the fans on-side with his still-heelish messages (when he was feuding with Cena) and I think that was when the character was strongest. But what's his MO now? He just wants to beat people up? Does he want title belts? Does he want to be the best, have a legacy and beat the legends of the sport? Or does he still want people to join him in the Family and, if so, why does he think attacking them is the best way to do so? For all the promo time they give him, that part is still so undefined and that, to me, is criminal.

It's a fixable problem, though, and I imagine Heyman will help him out a ton with that in the upcoming programme. When they get the Wyatts' direction sorted, then they have years of untapped potential to work with. So I don't think he's a lost cause by any means.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The crowd still pop big when The Wyatts do something unexpected. For example when they appeared on a Raw about a month back interrupting the League Of Nations it got the biggest reaction of the night... unfortunately it went nowhere as Roman & co. (the faces) then showed up to return the show to the expected

IN many ways Leggo is right about how Wyatt can get beaten and be okay but it should not always be the case, even if it is just because of his family he needs to win a big one eventually. Maybe it will be Brock but tbh I'm not confident on that one.

Maybe they think they have time on their side cos he is still so young (28 now) and that they have loads of time to fully pull the trigger on him but I def woulda been happier If he won the Rumble and title in that match. Afterall HHH/Brock doesn't need the gold but a huge 2 month push with the belt and Brock chasing him would make that a true main event match and Bray a true main event star while instead nobody cares too much about that (or both expected) match(es) now.

Honestly think WWE shot themselves in the foot when it comes to Brock and especially the length of his contract. He's on full time pay with a part time schedule and how to you honestly book for a guy that shows up about three times a month. They built him up as this beast who ended the streak and totally humiliated the face of the company later on that year at Summerslam to battling against glorified mid carders, if he ain't beating the crap outta people, totally dominating the roster and being champion/fighting for it then it's hard to take him seriously.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought the build up to Taker - Wyatt last year was terrible stuff, and all the Undertakers fault for never showing up and I fear it will be the same again this year with Brock. Bray's promo do sound very samey but then again we do hear them every single week in some of his feuds which isn't his fault imo. He's good at his promos so the booking often gets lazy and just sends him out there to cut a promo instead of actually having to book the feud

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

With Bray I think he needs to have more matches that he wins on his own. I think he needs to cut less long winded promo's and get to his point quicker when he speaks. Make a point and use the obvious presence he has to do the rest. Just because he can talk doesn't mean he should.

Bray will lose at Mania obviously and then maybe he will need to go face.

Reactions to the face off moments with LON and Triple H show people are interested by him. They would have to be because he is different to everyone else.

It opens up new possibilities, if he was a face.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

To the point that he lost to taker and cena at mania. Those two men are two of the greatest of all time. There is a way to lose to a big star and not hurt a guy like bray.

But his whole story seems stop and start. He had the family then he didn't. I'm not sure what the wyatt family is supposed to be exactly. I think the members of the family are talented on their own. It will be fine with bray as he has the talent and mic skills to get the people with him. Creative just need to decide on a direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The Undertaker won the WWF Championship at Survivor Series 1991. He then lost it at Tuesday In Texas less than a week later or something like that. He didn't really come that close to the title between that point and 1997. I always think of that when I wonder why Bray Wyatt hasn't had a sustained main event run yet. He's amazing at his promos still. People get bored of him, well then we might as well get bored of every performer talking weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hes great at delivering a promo, yet his material is the same old rambling go nowhere nonsense. He never says anything worth noting and every promo feels the same as the last.

People get bored of him because his charcter fails to progress and its the same old vague promos week in week out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement