Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I enjoyed the Forever Hooligans, but as far as I'm aware Koslov is still on his sabbatical from the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Speaking of russev. I saw it mentioned that russev was the only one to get any offense on the legends(stone cold) and he got some good offense and he sold the stunner like a boss too. I watched it back and he did. Maybe it says alot about austin that he isn't afraid to get the current guys over.

Yeah he was the only one who got any offensive in against the legends and did sell that stunner like a boss but I think it's gonna take a hell of a lot of work to get him back to where he was after his Cena feud. With LON now a trio maybe he can push on as the leader and the other two as the tag team, push him as the monster hell again but not having Lana isn't gonna help him.
    Angron wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Forever Hooligans, but as far as I'm aware Koslov is still on his sabbatical from the industry.

Yeah loved their four team tag match at Wrestle kingdom 9, thought they'd make the perfect duo to team with Rusev and Lana.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Mania 14 cropped up in the worst Wrestlemania thread.

Is Kane/Undertaker the best developed storyline of all time? What else compares?

Sting's transformation to The Crow and him stalking the invaders for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,930 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's not a really a random thought. it's a what if. What if ric flair hadn't returned after he broke his back in the plane crash in 1975 ?

- He wouldn't have obviously been the 16 time worlds champion. We wouldn't have had that classic horsemen line up.

- Steamboat wouldn't have had the classic trilogy in '89 and I think that would have affected his career.

-Dusty doesn't give his hard times promo as flair and the horsemen put him out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Is Kane/Undertaker the best developed storyline of all time? What else compares?

God no, it is a jumbled mess. It had some good moments for sure, but if you read a step by step timeline of what happened, it's bat****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I really hope Mauro Ranallo gets put on to more things (like PPVs) sooner rather than later. I love hearing him calling matches.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I really hope Mauro Ranallo gets put on to more things (like PPVs) sooner rather than later. I love hearing him calling matches.

The only thing is Smackdown announcers tend to get more freedom with their commentating. If he was moved to Raw /PPVs he'll be instructed to call stories over moves and say stupid things like "For The Win", "BOOOOOO.... Loud Cheers for Roman Reigns tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭briany

Reebrock wrote: »
    God no, it is a jumbled mess. It had some good moments for sure, but if you read a step by step timeline of what happened, it's bat****.

The video package that introduced their 'mania match was pretty good, though. One of my favourite shots in all of wrestling history is from Undertaker's entrance before this match, with Kane standing in the ring, lit by the flickering lightning, looking pretty damn malevolent. That's not even to mention the druids coming out with their flaming torches to O Fortuna. And the crowd's buzzing, too. Oh, and Kane tombstoning Pete Rose was gold. The whole Kane-Undertaker story has been lacklustre, but I think WM 14 was a highlight just because of the presentation.

But it's great that they could keep those two separated for the five months since Kane's debut, building to that climax. Nowadays they probably would have blown their wad at the Royal Rumble and had WM be the inferno match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Hell in a Cell structure is not very interesting. It's really just a larger cage that is supposed to be inescapable, although it's often done a bad job of this. Commentators should not be trying to sell the Cell, rather what it means for their opponents, which is that it's going to keep these two guys confined together. This is basic psychology that's going missing. We're all wondering what the spot is going to be, when there needn't be a spot, and the Cell really limits your choices, anyway. Same thing's happening with the ladder match nowadays, being a match that you expect spots from. As Bret Hart pointed out on the Wrestlezone podcast, the psychology of the ladder match is not to hurt your opponent with the ladder. You beat them up, and only then does the ladder come out, with the intention of reaching the title. The ladder match might as well be called an injury match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I want Cena back in WWE title frame when he returns. There I said it!

Am I right in thinking he hasn't been in the title frame since DB went over clean? Cant be that long back can it?

Anyway the other random thought I had was I wish The Wyatts could enter a feud now til summerslam and bray go over a big name relativley clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

5 years ago today

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kankan14 wrote: »
    I want Cena back in WWE title frame when he returns. There I said it!

Am I right in thinking he hasn't been in the title frame since DB went over clean? Cant be that long back can it?

Anyway the other random thought I had was I wish The Wyatts could enter a feud now til summerslam and bray go over a big name relativley clean.

Nope, exactly a year off because he dropped the title to Brock at Summerslam 2014. It's easy to forget he hasn't been champ since Bryan beat him though, did nothing with that short reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

briany wrote: »
    The Hell in a Cell structure is not very interesting. It's really just a larger cage that is supposed to be inescapable, although it's often done a bad job of this. Commentators should not be trying to sell the Cell, rather what it means for their opponents, which is that it's going to keep these two guys confined together. This is basic psychology that's going missing. We're all wondering what the spot is going to be, when there needn't be a spot, and the Cell really limits your choices, anyway. Same thing's happening with the ladder match nowadays, being a match that you expect spots from. As Bret Hart pointed out on the Wrestlezone podcast, the psychology of the ladder match is not to hurt your opponent with the ladder. You beat them up, and only then does the ladder come out, with the intention of reaching the title. The ladder match might as well be called an injury match

I had huge interest in the first HIAC match because I wanted to see what it looked like as I'd only ever seen old War Games matches so had never seen a cage with a roof. Afaik Jim Cornette claims credit for Kane ripping the door off as he'd seen Doug Furnas do that in Memphis in the 80s.

There's been dozens of Cell matches but only a few memorable ones that'd warrant repeat viewings.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Mania 14 cropped up in the worst Wrestlemania thread.

Sting's transformation to The Crow and him stalking the invaders for so long?

I doubt many 13-17yr olds who watched Mania in 1998 would say it was poor.

Useless fact: Wrestlemania 14 was the first Mania since '85 that had no number. It was subtitled "dX:Raided" or something. It aired at the later time of 1am on Sky so silly me was expecting something over-18s.

Ageyev wrote: »
    There's been dozens of Cell matches but only a few memorable ones that'd warrant repeat viewings.
    Something not helped by the introduction of the PPV dedicated to Hell in a Cell matches.

Something not helped by the introduction of the PPV dedicated to Hell in a Cell matches.

I'd say they introduced that to try bump up PPV buys as there's a belief that business just goes down after summer. Unless transporting and erecting the cage is too costly I can't see them doing away with it I suppose. Unless Vince gets into one of his funny moods of course...

I think Ambrose and Rollins had a decent match one year but other than that most of the Cell matches at the HIAC show have been mediocre or forgettable in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins was a fine match but then the Bray Wyatt return happened where the beam of light appeared in the middle of the ring and the ending was a bit anticlimatic. The same night Randy Orton vs. John Cena was very good in the cage I thought and was better than a lot of their more recent matches at the time. Anyone recall that?

Orton and Cena have had so many matches that I doubt many people would remember a particular one. But Vaguely recall Orton doing a mad long chinlock between the ropes in a Cell match :pac:

I can't remember all of the ins and outs of this match now but I remember it being one of the best on that particular card. Their matches are never complete pieces of crap or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I can't remember all of the ins and outs of this match now but I remember it being one of the best on that particular card. Their matches are never complete pieces of crap or anything.

Rumble 2014 being the big, boring exception to that. Crowd was as dead as I've ever heard them for a Cena match.

• Advertisement

The crowd would have probably gone to town on whatever was put in front of them that night.

Iirc it came after they had several PPV matches in a short space of time including a 60-min iron man match.

Really, not since the first Hell in a Cell match in 1997 have they replicated the "chicken sh*t heel trying to escape but locked inside an inescapable cage" match.

They got close with the Taker v Lesnar and Taker v Edge matches.

Even one of the best Cell matches in Cactus Jack v HHH was unnecessary as their Rumble match had q definitive finish.

It made sense for the first ever Hell In A Cell match because The Undertaker kept getting screwed by the Kliq when he went after Shawn Michaels. The gimmick also works if its two guys who are presented as being fearless like Mick Foley and The Undertaker. It's amazing that Foley vs. Triple H ended up being as good as it was after the heights their match the month before reached. In October 2014 Orton and Cena hadn't fought since Battleground.

WWE doesn't have the patience to book a heel v face feud that would build to a hot Hell in a Cell match today. They could in NXT if Balor turned heel but I'd be surprised if they used the gimmick on one of their shows, even a big one in front of 15,000 people.

I would have been surprised if I had been told a year ago that a Women's Championship match would headline a TakeOver. They could have built Triple H vs. Roman Reigns up to a cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gallows, Machine Gun,
    Styles, Generico, Steen & Uhaa all on the same episode Monday Night Raw who'd have said that 18 months ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gallows, Machine Gun, Styles, Generico, Steen & Uhaa all on the same episode Monday Night Raw who'd have said that 18 months ago.

Something I'm loving at the moment is how they are introducing these people as well, mainly Gallows, Anderson and Styles (Nakamura, Aries and possibly Roode on NXT too). No name changes, no treating fans like idiots. You know who these guys are and we're capitalizing on that fact.

I thought the days of new faces popping up from other companies was gone. And yet, in 2016, we're getting massive pops for people jumping ship. So great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Samoa Joe also. He was probably the first of this latest wave actually. Wonder what arrangement they have about using the names for merchandise etc? Split it whilst they're in WWE and allow them to take the name with them again when they leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Gallows, Machine Gun,
    Styles, Generico, Steen & Uhaa all on the same episode Monday Night Raw who'd have said that 18 months ago.

Might be no harm wrapping some of those names in Spoiler tags dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Hey Guys.

Kinda revisiting my childhood reading this wiki article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_professional_wrestling_boom

I started watching wrestling around the time of the build up to WrestleMania 4 but I also remember at the same time I used to see repeats where Mean Gene was promoting "The greatest extravaganza of all time, WrestleMania 3".

Anyway, does anyone know of good docs or books for this period? A more in-depth version of the wiki article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement