Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I love Punk's style and personality and the way he carries himself in general. I like someone who can be a douche and a prick when the situation calls for it, but also has a different side to him when he sees something he likes in someone.

Pure quality in the ring and the mic, he is the best in the WWE right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Charisteas wrote: »
    Pure quality in the ring and the mic, he is the best in the WWE right now.

Daniel Bryan says hi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Huge Punk fan but agree he can be massively in love with himself and a complete tool.

Lets be honest we are all a bit like Punk, for example happily give out about where we work and how the boss hasn't a clue when some perceived lick ass gets the promotion. He just goes out of his way to make sure all know how he feels.

Yes he probably does have a duel personality (no surprise with his background).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Huge Punk fan but agree he can be massively in love with himself and a complete tool.

Lets be honest we are all a bit like Punk, for example happily give out about where we work and how the boss hasn't a clue when some perceived lick ass gets the promotion. He just goes out of his way to make sure all know how he feels.

I didn't want to say that in my last post but yes I do see a lot of the same character traits in myself. Sometimes (or a lot of the time) you just have to be a c**t at work or else people will walk all over you, and I will go out of my way to b!tch and complain at every opportunity I get if things aren't done properly. Probably moody and anti-social sometimes too. But I will also skip my lunch hour just to teach the new guy a certain procedure or go out of my way to help anyone who asks, if it means getting the work done.

So Punk has a sense of entitlement, is a prick and is conceited but I really don't think these are always bad traits to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

TBH, Punk to me comes across more as a petulant EMO kid who hates the establishment and thinks that he's rad... Do people still say rad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Punk is great on the mic, I know in recent months his work has suffered but that's down to the way he is being booked.

Where he does fall for me is his ringwork and size, it's not believable when he's in there with a powerhouse. Also he's no Dean Malenko, a lot of his work is clunky, nothing is consistently fluid with him, he fcuks up basic grapples and holds on a regular basis. The high spots also, just look at that elbow he drops off the top rope. It looks sh1t.

I think Punk is great on the mic, I know in recent months his work has suffered but that's down to the way he is being booked.

Most of the time he doesnt sound all that interested. I think thats more down to him than down to booking. Cena, for example, has gotten some of the worst material but he still always gives it his all. Personally, I'd put the blame on Punk rather than the WWE writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Random wrestling thought

If WWE actually had good writers for both shows and they were both treated equally 2 hours each ...WWE could definitly have 2 seperate brands with the amount of talent availalbe just think of the amount of established wrestlers that don't get on TV every week at the moment

They had two separate shows before and most wanted the rosters united again???

They had two separate shows before and most wanted the rosters united again???

Not when it was properly enforced. People only wanted it to end when everybody was appearing everywhere anyway.

They could EASILY do two shows again. They may have to drop Raw back to two hours though or else they'd need to make a few more signings/call ups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I only enjoyed the roster split for the first year or so because it was a bit of a novelty,and WWE at the time had enough proper stars to fill both rosters so that things remained interesting.The single brand only PPV's were dire,especially the Smackdown ones.

The only proper mega star around these days is Cena,so when he's restricted to one brand the other automatically looks second rate.It's not like in 2002 when Smackdown could have Rock,Hogan,Jericho,Benoit,Edge and Raw still had Austin,Taker,Brock,HBK,RVD etc.

They have 60 male wrestlers on the main roster excluding Lesnar, RVD, Triple H, Undertaker etc., along with 15 Divas. About 40 male wrestlers in NXT and another 17 Divas. Thats 132 overall. Still excluding the part timers.

If they cant manage with that many people they should just give up altogether.

If they wanted to do it, they could easily. They just dont want to put in the actual effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    They have 60 male wrestlers on the main roster excluding Lesnar, RVD, Triple H, Undertaker etc., along with 15 Divas. About 40 male wrestlers in NXT and another 17 Divas. Thats 132 overall. Still excluding the part timers.

If they cant manage with that many people they should just give up altogether.

If they wanted to do it, they could easily. They just dont want to put in the actual effort.

Thats exactly what I was aiming for

Not when it was properly enforced. People only wanted it to end when everybody was appearing everywhere anyway.

They could EASILY do two shows again. They may have to drop Raw back to two hours though or else they'd need to make a few more signings/call ups.

I don't think the first part is true, not that I remember anyway.

I don't think the first part is true, not that I remember anyway.

I dont recall many complaints before they started to ignore it. Smackdown was pretty great at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Funny note from Wrestling historian John Lister:
    Susie Dent talked about the etymology of a pro wrestling "heel" on Countdown today. It was pretty much the most erotic moment in TV history.

For those wondering, it's simply the same as the old gangster slang where heel was a criminal, deriving from "down at heel", meaning somebody who was so poor they'd worn their shoes out and couldn't afford new ones (and thus were likely to turn to crime.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's interesting. I assumed it was from "turned heel", as in facing away from you, someone who doesn't like you.

rovert wrote: »
    Funny note from Wrestling historian John Lister:

Is that not well known? I always thought it was :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I was looking over the WrestleMania card while answering my ATH question and it struck me just how unusually high the number of turns there's been in WWE this year since then. Below is every match and in brackets whether someone has turned:

Miz (Face to Heel) vs. Wade Barrett

The Shield vs. Orton (Face to Heel), Big Show (Heel to Face) and Sheamus

Mark Henry (Heel to Face) vs. Ryback (Face to Heel)

Kane (Face to Heel) and Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler (Heel to Face) and Big E. Langston (Heel to Face)

Fandango vs. Chris Jericho

Alberto Del Rio (Face to Heel) vs. Jack Swagger

Undertaker vs. CM Punk (Heel to Face)

Brock Lesnar vs. HHH (Face to Heel)

Rock vs. Cena

Miz (Face to Heel to Face to Heel to Face to Heel to Face to Heel)

Fixed that for you :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I initially had a question mark after Miz because nobody (probably not even himself) knows what Miz actually is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Whats he now.... im lost at this stage. Creative well done :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Miz (Face to Heel to Face to Heel to Face to Heel to Who The **** Knows?)

I think that's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭bobby_says_hi

And for the match that got cut:

Brodus Clay (Face to Heel), Tensai, Naomi & Cameron vs Damien Sandow, Cody Rhodes (Heel to Face) & The Bella Twins (Heel to Face)

WWE have been really trigger happy with that this year

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭CSF

And for the match that got cut:

Brodus Clay (Face to Heel), Tensai, Naomi & Cameron vs Damien Sandow, Cody Rhodes (Heel to Face) & The Bella Twins (Heel to Face)

WWE have been really trigger happy with that this year
    And with that considered how many of these turns have been part of a compelling storyline? Turns need to be big and with an equally compelling foil. Orton was done well with Bryan, the same could be argued for HHH, even Ryback with Cena, but outside the very top of the card the same attention hasn't been paid to making these work. Kane in particular has had little to no role since turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Ever notice that Dean Ambrose has a very similar delivery and cadence to The Million Dollar Man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Every once in a while in Mountain Men on History they play AJ Styles newest entrance music and I hum along to the tune.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Ever notice that Dean Ambrose has a very similar delivery and cadence to The Million Dollar Man?

I think he models himself on a young Marlon Brando, with a fair bit of Heath Ledger's Joker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You can pretty much see a lot old wrestler in Dean Ambrose. Brian Pillman being the biggest I think. Hell both Brian and Dean are from Cincinnati, Ohio so there's a connection there too. Maybe Ambrose was a fan of Pillman in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

First Wrestler to return to WWE television. Jeff Jarrett or Kurt Angle?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement