Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Rusev truly nailed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I rewatched Shane and Taker tonight and at one point I thought that I heard the 'Just Retire' crowd chant being aimed at Taker. Did anyone else pick up on that?

The origin of that chant was from the first Extreme Rising show. Directed at Shane Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Colt cabana i just never saw the big deal about him. hes not great in the ring and hes not as funny as he thinks he is. I think hes one of those guys that benfited from being around the same time in ROH as super talented people like punk, joe, bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

sky88 wrote: »
    Colt cabana i just never saw the big deal about him. hes not great in the ring and hes not as funny as he thinks he is. I think hes one of those guys that benfited from being around the same time in ROH as super talented people like punk, joe, bryan.

He's always been a comedy wrestler to me, could never take him seriously as a serious wrestler. That being said I think comedy is about taste, I can understand if people don't like his style of comedy, but I can also see why people do. He would definitely be good for the kids at wrestling shows, but I could see adults liking him too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Daniel Bryan had the threat of neck surgery hanging over him the whole time in the build up to mania XXX.

Its no wonder they refused to go all in on the story until mania was really close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,934 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I just caught the end of the warrior documentary on the network. Christ it's very sad. He's there with his daughters and the last thing he says is he is looking forward to the future. Jesus talk about cherishing every moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,625 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What's the story with Reigns still wearing the Body Armour his he not cut enough or carrying to much of a belly for Vince's liking.

Brian Pillman would have been perfect during the Attitude Era, it's like he was living the attitude era already before his untimely death. The Loose Cannon gimmick was great and he carried it over three different companies(WCW, ECW, WWE). I wonder how his career would have turned out.

Also according to Eric Bischoff he claims that he and Pillman came to some sort of an agreement. Bischoff said that he allowed Pillman to become a free agent so that he could focus on building his Loose Cannon gimmick by being able to go to WWE and ECW, but also says that Pillman said he would return some day. Was Pillman lying to Bischoff to get out of his contract? or was he telling the truth? I remember reading that when Kevin Nash was in WCW initially, he told them he was retiring to get out of his contract, but then went over to WWE. I could understand if Pillman was doing the same thing, but I guess we'll never know the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What's the story with Reigns still wearing the Body Armour his he not cut enough or carrying to much of a belly for Vince's liking.

Think he has a huge tribal tattoo going across his chest. Vince probably isn't a fan.

Weird thing about Roman, he wears contact lenses to give him lighter eyes...

20150305_SD_Roman_2.jpg

Probably another Vince idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

seeing him before the shield he never looked that cut for a wrestler. One of the reasons why ive always found it weird that vince is clearly so high on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't watched Raw yet so haven't read the thread yet, but seeing the thread has a total of 18 posts says a lot, considering some of those are from before the show even started.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Brian Pillman would have been perfect during the Attitude Era, it's like he was living the attitude era already before his untimely death. The Loose Cannon gimmick was great and he carried it over three different companies(WCW, ECW, WWE). I wonder how his career would have turned out.

Also according to Eric Bischoff he claims that he and Pillman came to some sort of an agreement. Bischoff said that he allowed Pillman to become a free agent so that he could focus on building his Loose Cannon gimmick by being able to go to WWE and ECW, but also says that Pillman said he would return some day. Was Pillman lying to Bischoff to get out of his contract? or was he telling the truth? I remember reading that when Kevin Nash was in WCW initially, he told them he was retiring to get out of his contract, but then went over to WWE. I could understand if Pillman was doing the same thing, but I guess we'll never know the truth.

Would have loved to have seen a fully fit Pillman in WWE. He was never the same in the ring after he was involved in a car crash and suffered some bad injurys that he never fully recovered from.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Roman obviously has low body fat, look at his face and arms.

He has a good look and its his "Superman" costume, with his symbol right on his chest. Why would they change that?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,625 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder if there is a chance a "Prince" could end being the through leader of the new "Era"

Would have loved to have seen a fully fit Pillman in WWE. He was never the same in the ring after he was involved in a car crash and suffered some bad injurys that he never fully recovered from.

True, his wrestling ability was diminished, but he was so damn talented though.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Never thought I'd see Kevin Nash mentioned in the Guardian live tracker of the West Virginia primary but here we are...
    Check out @RealKevinNash's Tweet: https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/728347671140966401?s=09

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I was just thinking of the relative successes and failures of MITB winners, I think there were far more flops coming from that.

Successes: Edge, Punk, Bryan, Seth (arguably).
    Flops: RVD, Kennedy, Swagger, Kane, Miz, ADR, Ziggler, Sandow, Sheamus.

Dunno how to class the Orton or Cena ones, they were already more or less main event so nothing really changed for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There was a time when MITB was used to elevate guys... to high class jobber status. I'd love to see the win/loss ratios of guys like Ziggler and Sandow while they were holding the briefcase

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Ziggler used to lose all the time when he had it if I remember correctly. I reckon their thinking is "sure losing to Cody Rhodes won't hurt him, he's got Money in the Bank. But Cody beating Mr MITB might elevate him." Instead of just pushing the future champion strongly so that they have a chance at having a good, believable reign rather.

It's not too long ago that being Intercontinental Champion meant getting the same treatment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's a weird idea, cause I don't think that really works. It just makes the person holding the contract look terrible, so beating them doesn't look like it's a big deal cause everyone is doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think the problem with the MITB has always been that, it could take a moment of luck to win it, rather than actually beating somebody for a number 1 contendership.

Remember those, Number 1 contenders? You never hear of that nowadays.

And another thing that weakens the MITB is, the cash ins are usually opportunist moments. mid or post match, which automatically makes the holder look weak and cowardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

The only thing I remember from zigglers time as mr.MITB is that pop when he cashed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kankan14 wrote: »
    The only thing I remember from zigglers time as mr.MITB is that pop when he cashed in.

It's high up on my list of old YouTube videos to watch. So good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

EC3 is probably the best looking person in wrestling. What a hunk. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭briany

Loving the Wrestlezone Tuesday show with Bret Hart. He just comes on there with his two sons and gives his thoughts on what's happening in wrestling that week. He talks about Wade Barrett in very high terms, calling him one of the best wrestlers ever to come out of England. Also, he asks where are the big blobs in wrestling, as in the big strong fat guys who used to be around, like King Kong Bundy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

briany wrote: »
    Loving the Wrestlezone Tuesday show with Bret Hart. He just comes on there with his two sons and gives his thoughts on what's happening in wrestling that week. He talks about Wade Barrett in very high terms, calling him one of the best wrestlers ever to come out of England. Also, he asks where are the big blobs in wrestling, as in the big strong fat guys who used to be around, like King Kong Bundy.

Yeah it's very good. He has no filter which is cool for someone that's still close enough to know what's going on. It's also not as negative as I expected, even quite positive at times.

Talking about the MITB winner always cashing in after the champ has had a grueling match. Perhaps a way to build a really strong new comer would be for a current champ to defend convincingly his title a couple of ppvs in a row, coming out bloodied but unbowed and have the commentators really sell how well he looks.
    Then a baby face MITB winner just announces a few weeks before before a ppv like Summerslam that he doesn't want to blind side the champ and wants his title match to be against the strongest possible version of the champ. The challenger goes on to win clean with the former champs grudging respect.
    Hard to envisage with Reigns' situation but maybe with Cena having his last great run with the title and then crowning a new upper card babyface

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Tssk wrote: »
    Talking about the MITB winner always cashing in after the champ has had a grueling match. Perhaps a way to build a really strong new comer would be for a current champ to defend convincingly his title a couple of ppvs in a row, coming out bloodied but unbowed and have the commentators really sell how well he looks.
    Then a baby face MITB winner just announces a few weeks before before a ppv like Summerslam that he doesn't want to blind side the champ and wants his title match to be against the strongest possible version of the champ. The challenger goes on to win clean with the former champs grudging respect.
    Hard to envisage with Reigns' situation but maybe with Cena having his last great run with the title and then crowning a new upper card babyface

RVD basically did that with Cena saying he wants to challenge him at Ecw one night stand.

Ideally do it with someone like Bálor next year.(Wishful thinking I know)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Titan Towers in the lead up to Wrestlemania 7. They'd booked the LA Coliseum. 100,000+ attendance expected.

By early March they'd only shifted 17,000 tickets and made the decision to move the event to the indoor LA sports arena. The excuse given was for security reasons, the Slaughter vs Hogan feud and US Iraq Gulf War angle had drawn legitimate heat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement