Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I thought the 100k figure was proven to be highly inaccurate and the capacity was expected to be something like 75k accommodating for equipment, sets, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought the 100k figure was proven to be highly inaccurate and the capacity was expected to be something like 75k accommodating for equipment, sets, etc....

I suppose they would have lied like they did with the Silverdome but the original hype around that Mania was to achieve a massive outdoor attendance. They didn't do elaborate stages or entrance ramps in those days. They're weren't closing off a lower third of a stadium end.

The record attendance for the LA Colisuem at the time was 104,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Titan Towers in the lead up to Wrestlemania 7. They'd booked the LA Coliseum. 100,000+ attendance expected.

By early March they'd only shifted 17,000 tickets and made the decision to move the event to the indoor LA sports arena. The excuse given was for security reasons, the Slaughter vs Hogan feud and US Iraq Gulf War angle had drawn legitimate heat.

They did a large attendance for Warrior v Hogan the previous year so they were probably banking on doing the rematch for VII but Warrior as champ didn't do as well as Hogan in terms of drawing power. Warrior's Mania VII payout was one of the points of contention that led to the dispute between him and Vince that summer along with demanding the same pay and royalties as Hogan and some other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,934 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wrestlemania VII they had a promo at that years rumble using the 100,000 number. I didn't know it was as low as 17,000 though. I also don't think the slaughter death treats are that off the mark.

I mean he was an Iraqi sympathiser during the first gulf war. He was lucky that the network refused to allow them to burn a USA flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I suppose they would have lied like they did with the Silverdome but the original hype around that Mania was to achieve a massive outdoor attendance. They didn't do elaborate stages or entrance ramps in those days. They're weren't closing off a lower third of a stadium end.

The record attendance for the LA Colisuem at the time was 104,000.
    That record is from 1947.

The Maracana Stadium in Brazil now has a capacity of around 75k, yet it held in the region of 200k for the world cup final in 1950.

Bruce Springsteen sold the place out for five night in 1985, with a total capacity of 322,986. The best recent highest attendance I can find is 93k.

Of course, no wrestling record will match up to Ric Flair vs Antonio Inoki in Pyongyang! (something like 250k)

Amazed WWE have put that up on their channel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,934 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching the raw where triple h returned after his quad injury at msg. Jesus it's loud as all hell. It's a sustained pop as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

That record is from 1947.

The Maracana Stadium in Brazil now has a capacity of around 75k, yet it held in the region of 200k for the world cup final in 1950.

Bruce Springsteen sold the place out for five night in 1985, with a total capacity of 322,986. The best recent highest attendance I can find is 93k.

Of course, no wrestling record will match up to Ric Flair vs Antonio Inoki in Pyongyang! (something like 250k)

Amazed WWE have put that up on their channel..

I've heard Flair speaking about the North Korea show in shoots. It's amazing how it's not talked about much by wrestling fans.

They legitimately drew over 200,000 people. That stadium in Pyongjang apparently has the largest capacity in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jesse Ventura on why he hates wrestling today...

Normally I don't pay much heed to old-timers who complain 'In my day things were better' etc. but I think he makes a lot of sense in what he says.

I also liked his point about the interviews and standing around for promos. Never fully realised how dumb that is, logically speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

sky88 wrote: »
    Colt cabana i just never saw the big deal about him. hes not great in the ring and hes not as funny as he thinks he is. I think hes one of those guys that benfited from being around the same time in ROH as super talented people like punk, joe, bryan.

Not exactly related to what you are saying and while I often find Jim Cornette annoying I can see where he is coming from regarding guys like Cabana who make pro wrestling look like a joke.

It takes away from the whole premise of the genre. When you step into a ring the comedy should end.

Wrestling storylines are nowhere near interesting enough for it to be a show based around "entertainment".

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I get goosebumps watching this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭briany

Not exactly related to what you are saying and while I often find Jim Cornette annoying I can see where he is coming from regarding guys like Cabana who make pro wrestling look like a joke.

It takes away from the whole premise of the genre. When you step into a ring the comedy should end.

Depends entirely on the match and the type of comedy we're talking about. If you watch the old World of Sport programme, you'll see the performers engaging in what amounts to pratfall type antics at times to big guffaws from the crowd. I seem to remember the commentator reffering to Les Kellett as one of the great comedians of wrestling, even. And if you watch some of this stuff today, along with their moves not looking like they could break an egg sometimes, this makes what they did in the ring look very hokey indeed but these were all real old school heads with careers dating back to the 50s or even 40s. Not the kind of guys you'd think of as willfully 'exposing the business'.

I've heard Flair speaking about the North Korea show in shoots. It's amazing how it's not talked about much by wrestling fans.

They legitimately drew over 200,000 people. That stadium in Pyongjang apparently has the largest capacity in the world.

Not quite.

The all-time pro wrestling attendance record would be for shows on April 28 and April 29, 1995 at May Day Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea. The announced crowds for those shows were 165,000 and 190,000, although the real numbers were about 150,000 and 165,000. The first show was headlined by Scott Norton vs. Shinya Hashimoto and the second by Antonio Inoki vs. Ric Flair. While there were tickets sold, most of the people attending got in free, and were pretty much ordered to attend, so it’s not really a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kayfabe is weird sometimes, like Arn insisting he lost exactly 20 buckets of blood from touring in War Games.

Wish that Collision in Korea was up on the Network to see it in full. From what I've seen of it they don't really get over the incredible size, scale and grandeur of having such a mass of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Kayfabe is weird sometimes, like Arn insisting he lost exactly 20 buckets of blood from touring in War Games.

Wish that Collision in Korea was up on the Network to see it in full. From what I've seen of it they don't really get over the incredible size, scale and grandeur of having such a mass of people.

Pretty sure some of the major matches in full from that show are on New Japan World. Shameless shilling complete.

For anyone who's interested, Paul Heyman in association with InsideTheRopes.co.uk is doing a 3 city tour of the U.K in July, visiting London, Manchester & Glasgow.

http://www.insidetheropes.co.uk/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dolph Zigglers feuds seem to never end or go anywhere... wouldn't wish a feud with Ziggly puff on anyone these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think Dolph needs to go away for about 2 months and then come back as a heel. He is just soooooooooo stale and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

LeeJM wrote: »
    I think Dolph needs to go away for about 2 months and then come back as a heel. He is just soooooooooo stale and boring.

That's what I think should happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anderson and Gallows have been booked like sh*t. They're absolute geeks to Reigns. Should've kept them in street clothes a little longer running roughshod over a few faces rather than just jobbing to rock's cousins. They're hardly credible already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭briany

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anderson and Gallows have been booked like sh*t. They're absolute geeks to Reigns. Should've kept them in street clothes a little longer running roughshod over a few faces rather than just jobbing to rock's cousins. They're hardly credible already.

They were never going to be credible, as far as I can see. Seems like the WWE just brought them in the capitalise on their credibility elsewhere, much as WCW did with a lot of WWF and ECW talent, only to let them flounder after their initial run, if they ever even got one. I have to think, though, that the two guys know that, that they're definitely going to be swimming upstream to stay relevant, and that this is as much about coming back to the US with a decent payday as anything.

Somehow it's a bit sad for the Reigns character that his two best mates in WWE are the Usos. Really, you'd want them to be feuding with FaBreeze on Main Event and staying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

One year today

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

I die a little a little inside when Michael Cole screams SUPERMAN PUNCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,625 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Love to see the WWE let Finn and Nakamura‬ go at it on a Takeover or for that on a RAW or PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

I die a little inside when the romantic empire is mentioned.

Wonzy wrote: »
    I die a little inside when the romantic empire is mentioned.

You mean Roman right? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You mean Roman right? :P

I dunno, the romantic empire has a nice ring to it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought the Roman Empire was clever when I first seen it in the crowd on a sign before WWE even coined it. Now with how things have gone it just grates on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just wondering what kind of reaction there would be if we just heard "Excuse Me!" followed by Vickie coming out. Wonder how they could bring her back. She was pretty much a face on her exit

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of reaction there would be if we just heard "Excuse Me!" followed by Vickie coming out. Wonder how they could bring her back. She was pretty much a face on her exit

I think she went on to do a college degree or something. Would be surprised if she wanted to go back. She was pretty much a face when she left, dunno if she could get her heat back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Vickie never got enough credit imo, one of the best 'true' heels of the modern era

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement