Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Vickie never got enough credit imo, one of the best 'true' heels of the modern era

She should be in the HOF in her own right. She was a heat seeking missle. It was some achievement in the era she was part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Exactly. She got the fans to dislike her and fans liked to dislike her. As I said before, I think she could've turned face at any time with no problems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    She should be in the HOF in her own right. She was a heat seeking missle. It was some achievement in the era she was part of.

Yep, there are very few heels nowadays who can really get heat like that, most good heels nowadays end up getting more cheers than boos from certain crowds

Yep, there are very few heels nowadays who can really get heat like that, most good heels nowadays end up getting more cheers than boos from certain crowds

Heels today don't get heat. They get meh reactions. Vicky didn't even have to say excuse me and she was booed out of the building.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of reaction there would be if we just heard "Excuse Me!" followed by Vickie coming out. Wonder how they could bring her back. She was pretty much a face on her exit

I think she was a face as it was known she was leaving and the fans seemed to appreciate her work and didn't boo her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I always laugh at these things in wrestling

When a ref gets knocked down or gets punched they go down like a light and are in a coma outside the ring lol

When a mega face returns they must have super human strength punches because they attack the heels with ease (who do down like they got shot)

When the face quotes the local city or famous sports team, band etc. It's so cheesy (Mick Foley is a bolexe for this)

Ah wrestling I love it but if u think logically some of it is pure and utter **** lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

I would put my bollocks to a barndoor AJ gonna win the belt Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Texas Jack wrote: »
    I would put my bollocks to a barndoor AJ gonna win the belt Sunday

He will lose thanks to the club messing up and they will turn on him and introduce Finn balor as there leader

Next night on raw Aj and Reigns team up and challenge the balor club to a match and they introduce there partner Seth Rollins

Balor club vs shield vol 2 (Reigns, Rollins and Styles)

Ambrose will be in a pointless fued with some mid carder and stay away from all this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

PTH2009 wrote: »

When a ref gets knocked down or gets punched they go down like a light and are in a coma outside the ring lol

When a mega face returns they must have super human strength punches because they attack the heels with ease (who do down like they got shot)

When the face quotes the local city or famous sports team, band etc. It's so cheesy (Mick Foley is a bolexe for this)

Ah wrestling I love it but if u think logically some of it is pure and utter **** lol

The ref mump at Mania 17 during the Triple H v Undertaker match must be the longest ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

briany wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the match and the type of comedy we're talking about. If you watch the old World of Sport programme, you'll see the performers engaging in what amounts to pratfall type antics at times to big guffaws from the crowd. I seem to remember the commentator reffering to Les Kellett as one of the great comedians of wrestling, even. And if you watch some of this stuff today, along with their moves not looking like they could break an egg sometimes, this makes what they did in the ring look very hokey indeed but these were all real old school heads with careers dating back to the 50s or even 40s. Not the kind of guys you'd think of as willfully 'exposing the business'.

I think I've heard Cabana mention Les Kellett and British Wrestling as some of hisinfluences but I didn't realise there were actual comedy wrestlers. Was there anything similar in American wrestling at the time?

You can see their influence on the likes of Regal at times too.

This is gold and gets stand up like reaction from the audience if you watch the matches, most of which are surprisingly long with the round and multiple falls formula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

PTH2009 wrote: »

Even funnier when the ref is a fulltime wrestler and they go down from something that would barely bother them normally

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If Balor debuted in the Main event of Wrestlemania defeating both The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar in a triple threat for the title people would still complain it wasn't enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Dolph Ziggler cashing in his MITB on the post Mania Raw is one of my favourite moments ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think I've heard Cabana mention Les Kellett and British Wrestling as some of hisinfluences but I didn't realise there were actual comedy wrestlers. Was there anything similar in American wrestling at the time?

You can see their influence on the likes of Regal at times too.

This is gold and gets stand up like reaction from the audience if you watch the matches, most of which are surprisingly long with the round and multiple falls formula.

Regal's always talked about the importance of comedy in his wrestling style with the faces he pulls and that kind of thing.

The World of Sport matches are excellent and are recommended viewing for anyone jaded with modern wrestling or even American wrestling from any era. They're not all funny, but it's proper psychology right the way through and the wrestlers are encyclopedia's of routines to get reactions from the audiences. Funny thing is the most reactive members of the audience seemed to be the auld ones who liked to smack the heel with their handbags if he fell out of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Angle now the biggest name out there not to mend fences and come back to the WWF/E.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

To me it always came across as 'X-Pac' heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭briany

To me it always came across as 'X-Pac' heat.

Vickie: "Excuse me!"

Audience: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

X-Pac never got that kind of reaction in his 'go-away heat' phase. The crowd always seemed to get a kick out of Vickie and found her entertaining as a heel authority figure. They loved to hate her, and that's what I think WWE were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Vickie getting over as a heel was a miracle.

This was the widow of one of the most loved stars of the past ten years in wrestling at that point, and she got everyone and their mother to boo her out of the building.

She will rightly go into the Hall of Fame on her own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Agreed, there was a decent stretch of time where the most over heel in WWE was Vickie. She'd barely have to do anything and the crowd would go absolutely nuts booing her :) Enjoyed her one-night face turn at the end as well, that was a nice send-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

She will rightly go into the Hall of Fame on her own merits.

Ah tbf by 2029 they'll be so stuck you know someone will suggest Mitch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Delighted, I'm heading over to England for the Rev Pro Wrestling Summer Sizzler, Will Ospreay got added to the show :D

Zack Ryder is the "New Era" Brooklyn Brawler in the WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

I'm started to get bored of Shane O Mac as general manager.

There, I said it!

Is Angle now the biggest name out there not to mend fences and come back to the WWF/E.

Who says he hasn't mended the fences ? Just because he isn't on WWE programming doesn't mean he's on bad terms.

Who says he hasn't mended the fences ? Just because he isn't on WWE programming doesn't mean he's on bad terms.

I have no idea I'm not an ITK like some on here it's just a Random Wrasslin' thought as is in the thread title.

I have no idea I'm not an ITK like some on here it's just a Random Wrasslin' thought as is in the thread title.

ITK ? Excuse the stupid question but whats ITK stand for ?

ITK ? Excuse the stupid question but whats ITK stand for ?

In The Know.

In The Know.

Ah okay thank you.

A random wrestling thought. Watching some old school stuff on the network really does show up how bland some of the stuff today is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

A random wrestling thought. Watching some old school stuff on the network really does show up how bland some of the stuff today is.

Often WWE just doesn't feel very important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement