Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Always thought Angle but doubt either will, might see JJ at HOF this year to maybe to induct someone or as an inductee maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't think Jarrett will return to WWE. He was never really a big deal there, and considering the way he parted ways with WWE when he jumped ship to WCW. I don't think they would want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I don't think Jarrett will return to WWE. He was never really a big deal there, and considering the way he parted ways with WWE when he jumped ship to WCW. I don't think they would want him.

Vince has forgiven a lot worse than Jarrett. Jarrett was very smart and made a lot of money out of that deal, I think Vince was probably fuming that Jeff had one upped him, they should have known his contract was up. I mean he wasn't losing main event talent. In my mind Hall and Nash's cases were way worse.

Also prior to that incident the McMahon and Jarrett family always had a good working relationship, Wasn't Jerry Jarrett going to take over running the company if Vince had been convicted in the steroids trial.

At worst it was sneaky by Jarrett. I always liked Jarrett as a talent, not saying he was the greatest by any means, but he was always a reliable and solid worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

rovert wrote: »
    First Wrestler to return to WWE television. Jeff Jarrett or Kurt Angle?

While I enjoy Tna the prospect of Angle(even now) vs Bryan would be amazing as would a DVD boxset(even without Benoit).
    Just watched Benoit/Angle vs Rey/Edge @ No Mercy such a great match but I enjoy the elimination scrap with Los Guerreros thrown in the next month at Survivor Series just as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

WWE (rightfully) won't touch Angle,he's a ticking timebomb physically and mentally.Would love to see, and could see Jarrett returning though.

• Advertisement

LOTD wrote: »
    Vince has forgiven a lot worse than Jarrett. Jarrett was very smart and made a lot of money out of that deal, I think Vince was probably fuming that Jeff had one upped him, they should have known his contract was up. I mean he wasn't losing main event talent. In my mind Hall and Nash's cases were way worse.

Also prior to that incident the McMahon and Jarrett family always had a good working relationship, Wasn't Jerry Jarrett going to take over running the company if Vince had been convicted in the steroids trial.

At worst it was sneaky by Jarrett. I always liked Jarrett as a talent, not saying he was the greatest by any means, but he was always a reliable and solid worker.

Vince is an odd man. He might hold on to some grudges. But even so, I don't see Jarrett returning. I just don't think he'd be that big of a deal for WWE to bring back.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Vince is an odd man. He might hold on to some grudges. But even so, I don't see Jarrett returning. I just don't think he'd be that big of a deal for WWE to bring back.

Never said he would be going back, yeah he was a midcarder in WWE but you can't overlook the fact the incident really stuck in Vince's craw. He buried Jarrett on the Raw/Nitro broadcast. They could play on that, but other than that I don't see him returning.

Bret spit in McMahon's face in front of a live audience, and trashed equipment but eventually mended things. Hall and Nash broke kayfabe at MSG, a major deal .Jarrett made at the time a good move, his contract was up and he wasn't going to be pushed. Basically my point is Jarrett's crime is not really that bad, he made a sensible business decision for himself. If Jarrett turned up on Raw and smashed a few people over the head with a guitar I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd love to see Jarrett back.

Always was a fan of his. People say he never drew a dime, but WCW was on it's death bed by the time he became champ and nobody was drawing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I'd love to see Jarrett back.
    People say he never drew a dime
    He'll fit right in so.

GTR63 wrote: »
    He'll fit right in so.

Don't go all Mike Graham on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I don't even....

Big Japan Pro Wrestling Match Types

Circus Deathmatch- above the ring is a scaffold and under that scaffold there is a type of circus net made of barbed wire. When a wrestler falls off of the scaffold the barbed wire spider net is there to "catch" the wrestlers. After a wrestler, or a team of wrestlers, have been thrown into the net it is cut down and the match continues to a pin fall.

Piranha Deathmatch- Barbed wire boards are placed in the corners. In the middle of the ring, there is a tank full of Piranhas. To win you must hold your opponent in the tank for ten seconds.

Scorpion Deathmatch- This match is similar to the Piranha Deathmatch. However, instead of barbed wire boards, there are two cacti. And instead of Piranhas, there is a tank full of scorpions.

Crocodile Deathmatch- Two wrestlers compete in a non-specific death match. The loser of the match must then go on to wrestle a crocodile.(This match has only been performed once in a death-match between Shadow WX & Mitsuhiro Matsunaga.)

Fire Stone Deathmatch- Both the inside and outsides of the ring are lined with electrified space heaters wrapped in barbed wire. The match is won by pin fall.

Big Japan W*ING Crisis Big Born Deathmatch- Barbed-wire-board, thumbtacks, bed-of-nails, circus-style-scaffold into a barbed-wire-trampoline, tub of scorpions, cactus plants, light bulbs, fire stones, dry Ice, barbed-wire-bat, drills, swords, knives and buzzsaws.

"Ancient Way" Death Match- Both fighters wrap their hands in hemp rope, which is then coated in honey and dipped in broken glass to make them deadly weapons.

Big Japan CZW Crisis Big Born Cage of Death Deathmatch- a steel cage match with various weapons, objects, and plenty of wrestling violence which combining several types of deathmatches; a steel cage with various weapons and objects will be contested under "BJW's Crisis Big Born Deathmatch" rules. Electrified cage walls, tables, ladders, chairs, crowbars, Singaporean canes, barbed-wire-board, thumbtacks, bed-of-nails, circus-style-scaffold into a barbed-wire-trampoline, tub of scorpions, cactus plants, light tubes, light bulbs, glass, fire stones, dry Ice, barbed-wire-bat, drills, swords, knives, guns, buzzsaws and all other weapons have been used in it.

Big Japan WWE Crisis Big Born Hell in a Cell Deathmatch- This is a 24-foot-high roofed cell structure which combining several types of deathmatches; a 24-foot-high roofed cell structure will be contested and competed under "BJW's Crisis Big Born Deathmatch" rules. The match starts out on a scaffold above a barbed wire net over a ring. The ring and the cell structure itselves are surrounded by cactus, fire stones (electric space heaters wrapped in barbed wire), dry ice, and all other weapons. Thumbtacks and Japanese kenzans are scattered in the ring and the cell. In the middle of the ring and the cell are all tanks of scorpions and every other thing else. Various weapons and objects including light bulbs, bats, drills, saws, swords, guns, and every other thing else whatsoever are permitted. The match is fought with all other different formats and stipulations (singles, tag team, gauntlet, etc.) active at the same time under street fight rules. There are no disqualifications, no count-outs, and no knock-outs (also no escape). The only way to win is by pinfall or submission inside the ring.

^^^ They love deathmatches over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I wish nailz came back, because as oppose to Bret,warrior or jerret , that's the one that would shock me

I was meant to post a few weeks ago, I was watching the Goldberg WWE vintage episode. They featured the Goldberg v Nash match at Starrcade 98, I was surprised at the reaction Goldberg was getting, being booed quite heavily and Nash getting a loud pop when he won the title.

I've seen shoot interviews, where Nash was saying they had to pipe in Goldberg chants and that at the time he was just as popular as Goldberg. Why and when did Goldberg start getting booed, this seems to be a very glossed over part of history, it's never really mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

IMO part of why Goldberg was boo'ed was WCW absolutely "Fandango'd" his streak where they just started wildly increasing the number week to week. I doubt workrate played a part (the attitude era was not in-ring focused!) but short BS main events with run-ins had taken it's toll. It wasn't until April 99 that WCW fans turned out in droves though.

With regards to Nash's cheer, people will pop for a big moment - winning the title, ending the streak, as it's history! (Sure Jack Swagger got a big pop for cashing in his MITB and winning the WHC). Not to take away from nash's popularity - NWO/Wolfpac was still very popular.

It's interesting you noted the length of time for matches in that era, I was looking at the event overview on wiki and the main event clocks it at 11 mins and 20 seconds that's pretty flimsy stuff for a main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's interesting you noted the length of time for matches in that era, I was looking at the event overview on wiki and the main event clocks it at 11 mins and 20 seconds that's pretty flimsy stuff for a main event.

That's practically a marathon for Goldberg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

It is Wrestlin at the end o the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If one wants a brief means of measuring how far Bryan has come in the last year, consider the fact him beating Jack Swagger clean just after 'Mania was thought of as something of a big deal.

Also, if one wants to measure how far Swagger has sunk in a year, take a look at your TV and consider he's now the fall-guy for a lower-midcard tag-act that, if reports are to believed at all, are soon to be split in the name of elevating Cesaro. Now, scan back to 'Mania and consider he was in a marquee match for a world title, having pinned Randy Orton in the closing moments of an Elimination Chamber match-up.

Yes, yes, circumstances outside WWE's control, but this business really moves too fast sometimes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

To be fair. Swagger was given Zeb Colter to make up for his poor mike skills. When you're not talking you need to get yourself over in the ring. Cesaro did that. Swagger didn't. Swagger is a talented guy but he was a clear second to his tag partner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Eh Swagger messed up pre mania by getting arrested

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Eh Swagger messed up pre mania by getting arrested

ARRESTED FOR WHAT?

Sorry caps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

DUI and marijuana possession, though the possession charge was dismissed.

Just watched my first ever slice of New Japan Pro Wrestling and my god it's unreal! Great three way match this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

That show is New Japan's version of Wrestlemania occurring on January 4th every year. This year's one is next weekend obviously. You can pay to watch it live however it will probably end up in full on Youtube within 24 hours.

After that show Devitt begins a characters change (to vicious heel) that still brings me tears of joy.

2013 was a great year for New Japan. Like one of those Breaking Bad or Wire bores or something I'd love to re-watch New Japan from 2013 for the first time again.

I saw Fergal in Bray a few months ago and the crazy mofo pulled a heel turn in his hometown, he's a cool cat. He also bust out some pretty big moves including a double foot stomp from the top onto a chair. What a man. He's in savage nick too. Watched a compilation clip of NJPW 2013 on the puro thread a min ago. Looks like that's gonna be on my radar for 2014

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Omackeral wrote: »
    I saw Fergal in Bray a few months ago and the crazy mofo pulled a heel turn in his hometown, he's a cool cat. He also bust out some pretty big moves including a double foot stomp from the top onto a chair. What a man. He's in savage nick too. Watched a compilation clip of NJPW 2013 on the puro thread a min ago. Looks like that's gonna be on my radar for 2014

I could very easily overwhelm you with stuff but this for me is the perfect heel Devitt match. The Best of Super Juniors is a World Cup style tournament for Cruiserweights with two groups then with an elimination stage. It is a competition Devitt won before as babyface. Here he wrestles Alex Shelley again someone he beat cleanly as babyface. However here with his new faction The Bullet Club decides to cheat and cheat and cheat much to the genuine anger of Devitt's former fans:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Devitt is one of the best wrestlers in the world imo, he's brilliant.

Problem is WWE won't pay him the money he earns in Japan so that's a stumbling block for going there.

That and he won't be allowed do the Prince's Throne(too similar to the GTS).

• Advertisement

The last 4 minutes of that are unreal. False finishes all over the house. Thanks for that Rovert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement