Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Random question - reports all suggest Gotch got in a barney backstage with Sin Cara, and it was also Gotch who botched the throw that led to Enzo's head injury. So I get why the Vaudevillains have been jobbing of late. But why is it always English who eats the pin? On that point, if they do keep the Vaudevillains as jobbers they are criminally underusing who could be a great heel in English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I like braun strowman as the unstoppable monster but there is only one man that can come back and stop him....

Ryback_look.0.0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Random question - reports all suggest Gotch got in a barney backstage with Sin Cara, and it was also Gotch who botched the throw that led to Enzo's head injury. So I get why the Vaudevillains have been jobbing of late. But why is it always English who eats the pin? On that point, if they do keep the Vaudevillains as jobbers they are criminally underusing who could be a great heel in English.

This is an endemic problem with WWE, that they have a ton of midcard acts and very few stars, everyone seems to lose to each other and nobody gets over. Unless you're mega over, WWE have a mindset to 'break you' before rebuilding you, if they ever get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,181 ✭✭✭✭CSF

ricero wrote: »
    Ryback pic
    Oh we all know who that man really is. He's not a good guy....

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

ricero wrote: »
    Ryback pic

The words wellness volition spring to mind looking at that picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

jaykhunter wrote: »
    This is an endemic problem with WWE, that they have a ton of midcard acts and very few stars, everyone seems to lose to each other and nobody gets over. Unless you're mega over, WWE have a mindset to 'break you' before rebuilding you, if they ever get around to it.

Look at Ziggler now, a love triangle last year and mostly losing a feud to Baron Corbin only weeks ago, now challenging for the title

Similar to AJ Styles losing to Y2J at Mania only to become number 1 contender the next night

It's like they're getting all the air out of a balloon before deciding to pump it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha! The Mania booking was ridiculous non-continuity, it was like a stand-alone special that had no bearing on what comes next! Are people getting behind Ziggler? He's been smashed in the ground so many times. He became Dolph in 2008 and doesn't feel like he's been a 2x WHC!

I remember Jericho saying the loss & win on RAW was part of a bigger story, don't worry about it. And then people stopped caring and he didn't have to dodge that question any more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder was as Becky sent to Smackdown in the draft because she was getting herself over without the WWE pushing her and she was getting in the way of the Charlotte & Sasha backed push.

Any wrestler that seems to get themselves over without the big WWE push always seems to get punished in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Becky was sent to SmackDown because they weren't putting the title on her and they needed somebody that's actually popular to be on SmackDown. Nobody cares about Natalya and most of the others are new so somebody already established was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Becky was sent to SmackDown because they weren't putting the title on her and they needed somebody that's actually popular to be on SmackDown. Nobody cares about Natalya and most of the others are new so somebody already established was needed.

This they need a face for smackdown woman who is popular and she is the most popular at the minute besides Sasha.

and with them wanting bayley to stay on nxt shes the logical choice.

• Advertisement

Look at Ziggler now, a love triangle last year and mostly losing a feud to Baron Corbin only weeks ago, now challenging for the title

Similar to AJ Styles losing to Y2J at Mania only to become number 1 contender the next night

It's like they're getting all the air out of a balloon before deciding to pump it up again

Dolph is certainly benefitting hugely from the split, and he really seemed to be getting a reaction from the fans last week in his promo with Ambrose. Maybe Ambrose goes on to win at SS and Dolph turns heel, taking stock of what Ambrose was saying to him?

PS, in hindsight I didn't mind Y2J beating AJ at mania, because Y2J then had legitimacy going into a two month programme to help build Ambrose. They also gave AJ the win the following night to go immediately into the heavyweight champ scene. AJ is now one of (if not the) top heels, fueding with the #1 babyface, Ambrose is champ and Jericho is still an absolute diamond heel. So pretty much everyone (eventually) came out of it well, medium term.

The Ziggler feud works because of how they're booking it. It's not just all of a sudden Ziggler is a top guy, now accept him as such, which was kind of how they booked Ambrose becoming champion.

Instead they're going with a proper story. Acknowledging that he hasn't really done anything worthwhile and making that part of the story as he tried to make himself notable. They did similar with Bryan with him trying to prove he wasn't the weak link, except instead of Bryan's rags to riches rise to the WWE title win at Wrestlemania, I think this one ends with Ziggler becoming an upper card heel.

CSF wrote: »
    The Ziggler feud works because of how they're booking it. It's not just all of a sudden Ziggler is a top guy, now accept him as such, which was kind of how they booked Ambrose becoming champion.

Instead they're going with a proper story. Acknowledging that he hasn't really done anything worthwhile and making that part of the story as he tried to make himself notable. They did similar with Bryan with him trying to prove he wasn't the weak link, except instead of Bryan's rags to riches rise to the WWE title win at Wrestlemania, I think this one ends with Ziggler becoming an upper card heel.

What do you think a heel Ziggler would look like? It's a bit of a catch 22 because the whole reason he should be turning heel is to overcome his shortcomings and underachievement until now. So logically his character should completely depart from everything it is now, maybe they could go down a Right-To-Censor / Straight-Edge Society route with him, or maybe even have him join the Wyatts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

This. Meltzer reported this week that Becky got herself added to the WM match because she got properly over, the original plan was Sasha v Charlotte. Becky is well thought of by all accounts.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What do you think a heel Ziggler would look like? It's a bit of a catch 22 because the whole reason he should be turning heel is to overcome his shortcomings and underachievement until now. So logically his character should completely depart from everything it is now, maybe they could go down a Right-To-Censor / Straight-Edge Society route with him, or maybe even have him join the Wyatts?
    I think what will happen is Ambrose will beat him at Summerslam, showing a ruthless streak that we kayfabe haven't seen associated with Ziggler, the whole match of the night but can't get the job done angle they were bigging up on Smackdown. This will drive Ziggler off the rails and we'll see a new heel ruthless streak from him. I mean an obvious problem with it is a lack of mid-card faces for him to go through on the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Kevin Nash is high on Ziggler apparently, he's said himself that he would love to return and work with Ziggler as an enforcer or something, probably something similar to HBK and Diesel. I wonder if that would work?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Kevin Nash is high on Ziggler apparently, he's said himself that he would love to return and work with Ziggler as an enforcer or something, probably something similar to HBK and Diesel. I wonder if that would work?

No because Nash wouldn't be able to take a back seat. He'll start off as an enforcer then will push for an angle where him and Ziggler start feuding and for some unknown reason it would end with Nash going over killing Ziggler's momentum.

Punk how you doin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Loughc wrote: »
    No because Nash wouldn't be able to take a back seat. He'll start off as an enforcer then will push for an angle where him and Ziggler start feuding and for some unknown reason it would end with Nash going over killing Ziggler's momentum.

Punk how you doin'?

Missing everything but feigning an injury to avoid jobbing or tearing his quad. Not to mention how ludicrous it would be to see him as muscle when he is 57.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone hear Bobby Roode's new theme? It's.....GLORIOUS!

Shame they are on different brands because The Club could be nice heaters for Ziggler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

ERG89 wrote: »

Punk how you doin'?

Missing everything but feigning an injury to avoid jobbing or tearing his quad. Not to mention how ludicrous it would be to see him as muscle when he is 57.

What's ludicrous about a massive, jacked bloke acting as muscle? His age? Who gives a turd. If he were cast in that role, he would pull it off. He would be the Breaking Bad Mike, of the WWE. Just younger.

Punk how you doin'?

I don't think that would happen. Nash doesn't seem to be interested in making himself look good like he used to anymore. I fully believe that if ever an angle ever did occur between Nash and Ziggler, that Ziggler would go over in that feud. Nash seems genuinely big on Ziggler and I could see him doing Ziggler a solid and putting him over. That of course is if WWE is willing to give Ziggler a proper push. The only problem I see is if Nash could even wrestle since he's so prone to injury in his old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Reebrock wrote: »
    What's ludicrous about a massive, jacked bloke acting as muscle? His age? Who gives a turd. If he were cast in that role, he would pull it off. He would be the Breaking Bad Mike, of the WWE. Just younger.

Mike was a private investigator & more like Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction than Nash trying to relieve the past. He could act & his character with depth something not seen in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've been rewatching a few Eddie Guerrero matches from 2004 and 2005 recently on the Network.

He looks so bloated in his physique and cumbersome in his ringwork. The saddest thing is the very noticeable acne on his back, a tell tale sign of steroid abuse.

Guerrero was one greatest workers of all time and it was sad to see him all blown up and not able to flow like he once did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've been rewatching a few Eddie Guerrero matches from 2004 and 2005 recently on the Network.

He looks so bloated in his physique and cumbersome in his ringwork. The saddest thing is the very noticeable acne on his back, a tell tale sign of steroid abuse.

Guerrero was one greatest workers of all time and it was sad to see him all blown up and not able to flow like he once did.

He looked utterly miserable in his match with Benoit at One Night Stand in 2005. Not in a heels gonna heel way but just looked tired and wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Remember his feud with Mysterio shortly afterwards though? It got ridiculous when they brought Dominic into it, but the feud happened just by the two of them going out every week on SmackDown and having classic matches. Even the Dominic ladder match was a classic that got you way more excited than the stipulation should have.

If I remember correctly, I heard he was quite depressed after his title run didn't spike business and took it way hard on himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Bret Hart's 20 year WWF contract, if honoured, would soon be expiring. It was signed in 1996.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I really hope they give the new woman's title on smackdown if there is one to Eva Marie. Shes such heat magnet and would make Becky eventually win better if eva just keeps cheating and pulling out of matches like on smackdown it could be great.

sky88 wrote: »
    I really hope they give the new woman's title on smackdown if there is one to Eva Marie. Shes such heat magnet and would make Becky eventually win better if eva just keeps cheating and pulling out of matches like on smackdown it could be great.

I'm kind've done with heels holding the women's championship now. For nearly two years, a heel has held the Diva's Championship. First with Paige(Heel) who lost to the title to AJ Lee(Face), then Nikki(Heel) won title and held it for almost a year, then Charlotte woman(Face/Heel) who has held it for a long time too. I know Sasha holds the title now, but I'm just not interested in seeing the same old routine, with the heel champion constantly cheating to win and robbing Becky of winning the title.

Besides, Becky has worked hard enough to warrant a title win, and to become the new women's champion on Smackdown. She's gotten herself over with the fans and is popular. She can at least make the women's division on Smackdown credible,can't really do it with Eva.

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm kind've done with heels holding the women's championship now. For nearly two years, a heel has held the Diva's Championship. First with Paige(Heel) who lost to the title to AJ Lee(Face), then Nikki(Heel) won title and held it for almost a year, then Charlotte woman(Face/Heel) who has held it for a long time too. I know Sasha holds the title now, but I'm just not interested in seeing the same old routine, with the heel champion constantly cheating to win and robbing Becky of winning the title.

Besides, Becky has worked hard enough to warrant a title win, and to become the new women's champion on Smackdown. She's gotten herself over with the fans and is popular. She can at least make the women's division on Smackdown credible,can't really do it with Eva.
    All of that is true, problem is, the Becky title win won't be half as exciting/memorable if there's no chase. If they just go have her become the first Smackdown women's champion, they've done her a disservice and deprived her of the sort of decent story she deserves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement