Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Ospreay, but he won't be wrestling by the time he's 30 if he keeps going the way he is. He wrestles every match at 100% so it's no wonder he's already in awful shape injury wise. He needs to learn to slow down and take it easy for the smaller events and cards.

Agreed. Now that he's a worldwide known name he needs to start seeing his health as his business or he risks being retired by the time he can make any real money. He has a lot of stuff in his repertoire that's athletically phenomenal yet relatively low impact/risk (think of his finisher spinning kick for example, something would have to go majorly wrong for him to get hurt on that but it takes your breath away) that he should use, then pick his spots for the really risky stuff. WWE no doubt already want him for NXT and will sign him the first available opportunity, but he'd still need to be a couple of years there before he can start earning game-changing money (all things going well). The way his injuries are sounding already, that 4-5 years away seems a long, long time. I'd hate to see him go out early like Daniel Bryan because of unwillingness to ration out his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Ospreay, but he won't be wrestling by the time he's 30 if he keeps going the way he is. He wrestles every match at 100% so it's no wonder he's already in awful shape injury wise. He needs to learn to slow down and take it easy for the smaller events and cards.

2016 Dynamite Kid.

Kid needs to slow the fuuck down.

He's unbelievable and his talent deserves a big stage, I just hope he makes it that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Moneymaker wrote: »
    2016 Dynamite Kid.

Kid needs to slow the fuuck down.

He's unbelievable and his talent deserves a big stage, I just hope he makes it that far.

Feel the same way about sasha they both need to slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ospreay posted this statement on his instagram. So he's definitely injured to some degree and will be taking time off. Hopefully he's serious about toning things down. For the big matches go nuts, but nobody needs to see him landing on his feet after a Spanish Fly from the top rope in an opening round tournament match. Just begging to get hurt.
    "Right so time to play the honesty game with you all.

I absolutely love professional wrestling but most of all I love British wrestling. Mainly because it reminds me of how we are not meant to be in the position we are right now but everyone has scratched and clawed to make British Wrestling so popular. Weather your a fan, wrestler, camera guy, promoter, merch girl, or the guy that takes the jackets backstage. You've all helped in making British Wrestling so god damn cool. And you know it's worked because last night out of 24 participants 6 British lads & 1 guy from Amsterdam (pretty much adopted BRIT) performed in PWG's BOLA. For that I'm very proud of all of them and our wonderful little country.

Now to address a matter that's been the rumours of how messed up I am when it concerns my body. I'm not going to make the extent or my injuries public and being honest it's nothing to be scared about or fear for my life. But if I carry on doing the style of matches I do at the rate I do them at my body has no time to recover and that's when I'm gonna get hurt.
    Having said this I would like to make it public that the things I wanted to do I need to like the British Triangle Championship I'm gonna need to put a hold on until my body is ready again. So saying this I'm going to honour some of my commitments as a champion in other places, and filling out my duties in touring with NJPW but once I'm in my home country I need to rest.

So here are the dates you'll see me Wrestling in the UK:
    • Southside - October 1st
    • WCPW - November 9th
    • RPW/NJPW - November 10th/11th
    • ROH - 18th/20th Nov
    • RCWA - 19th Nov

There are other dates im not announced for yet that will be talked about and there are dates promoters have booked me in for that I need to talk to you about.

Please do not panic or worry about me as I'm walking & healthy. But it comes a point where your body can only take so much and I'm making the adult decision to give my body time to heal.

Hope you can all understand where I'm coming from.

Love you all lots"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Weird thing happening tonight and this weekend in the WWE world

The Raw crew are currently in London at the o2 for a live event and then travel to Manila in the Philippines and China for shows over the weekend and then back to Baltimore for raw on Monday. Unreal amount of travelling and it must take a toll on there bodies

SD crew are of course still in the US and have a house show On Saturday before backlash on Sunday

Why on earth did they put a show on in London when they are touring the UK in November ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Weird thing happening tonight and this weekend in the WWE world

The Raw crew are currently in London at the o2 for a live event and then travel to Manila in the Philippines and China for shows over the weekend and then back to Baltimore for raw on Monday. Unreal amount of travelling and it must take a toll on there bodies

SD crew are of course still in the US and have a house show On Saturday before backlash on Sunday

Why on earth did they put a show on in London when they are touring the UK in November ???

Yeah Seth Rollins was saying 4 countries in 3 continents in 5 days. And that's going from US Midwest to London, Manila, Shanghai, and the back to the us east coast.

That's a far old trek.i presume they will go west to east around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Probably a lot of hearsay but wasn't the London event placed to take the shine off a big independent show? I might be thinking of Raw in Glasgow later on in the year with ICW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

With the UK Indie wrestling booming scene right now with companies like Rev Pro, PCW, Progress and ICW regularly doing 1,000+ crowds. Even our own OTT regularly doing 400-500 crowds and numerous smaller indies doing in the 250-500 area every weekend in the UK its crazy that no tv executive has taken notice of this yet.

Apart from the ICW documentaries on BBC, the BritWres boom which is taking over the wrestling world has barely been noticed on British tv. With the abundance of tv stations now like BBC 1, 2, 3 & 4, ITV 1, 2, 3, & 4, Channel 4, Channel 5, all the Sky branded channels, even BT Sports and Eurosport and RTE and TV3 over here, none have shown an interest in BritWres.

Stations are always looking for cheap content. Showing an hour of Britwres that has already been recorded by the wrestling company in a late night slot isnt gonna cost a bomb. Surely some TV exec should be looking at the amount of fans that attend wrestling shows on a weekly basis and can see there is an untapped market there.

Or am I so wrapped up in the wrestling bubble that I think I know better than the guys that run all these tv stations when wrestling just isnt a tv draw any longer.

No i think you've a point alright but TBH the cheap as chips analogy is probably a bit off the mark.

I have just commented on the WCPW thread. I like their product somewhat but the lack of top notch production really doesn't make me warm to it as much as I should. Same for most indie promotions. I personally think this a big thing for fans and casuals. Is this a common hang up for you guys??

I was aware of Kevin Steen and El Generico killing it in ROH for years but I didn't really buy in until they made it to NXT.

There's no denying that the Europe-wide boom has come from the live indie experience. You really just can't beat being there. OTT is my church and religion now but if I miss it I'm not terribly mad to rush and get the VOD.

It's like League of Ireland VS Premiership debate. RTE can't compete with Sky Sports with all their flash and flair but seeing the games live do bring a certain enjoyment.

Yeah TV would be a bit messy for the BritWres revolution. Here's what you have to remember: WWE are a corporation comparable in size to the NFL/NBA/EPL and still struggle regularly on a PR level with world class lawyers and business behemoths running things behind the scenes, nevermind Jimmy the village alco who's obsessed with wrestling pulling the strings. You don't necessarily want your favourite local promotion to get bigger, for the same reason you may not like your favourite local band to get bigger, the increased spotlight only serves to highlight what is lacking rather than accentuate what you love. Whereas as a small, cult thing it's 'your' little secret. Plus raising the stakes for a company also means things can go downhill quicker too and risks everyone being left with nothing.

Lastly, and possibly most crucially, don't think WWE aren't paying attention to what's going on. As soon as something gets big enough in wrestling, Vince comes in with his hoover and just decimates the whole scene to cherry pick the best bits of the idea for his own use, and usually what's left in its wake is devastation. I won't get into it but I've had WWE attempt to strong-arm little old me personally! They see themselves as 'owning' wrestling and nobody else is entitled to do anything that they don't control and gain from, and they have the financial firepower to achieve as much if they wish.

I said it on my show and I'll say it again here: enjoy this flurry as long as it lasts, because these things come in waves before WWE crush them, and it's usually years before it builds back up again. British/Irish indie wrestling was huge in the 80's, again in the early/mid 00's, and again now, but the transitional periods tend to last longer than the high points. Again I won't get into it too much, but I was working with a big production company a while back and they were interested in doing content on local wrestling, and I simply couldn't find a show to bring the bloke in charge to at the time, things were that bad.

The likes of ZSJ, Marty Scurll, Ospreay and Pete Dunne are all nailed on to be signed within a few years and there won't be ready-made stars to take their place. With the revolution happening both here with OTT, and just an hour plane journey away in the UK, if you're into indie wrestling you should pack as much in now while you can because who knows how long it'll last and how long it'll be before we get another flourish.

• Advertisement

"leggo wrote: »
    WWE are a corporation comparable in size to the NFL/NBA/EPL
    Well, it's 1/7th the size of the smallest of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Am I recalling this correctly? Were WCW steel cages' tops covered?

764dak wrote: »
    Am I recalling this correctly? Were WCW steel cages' tops covered?

Yes and no. They had open top cages for sure. I distantly remember Macho Man jumping off the top of one and Crow Sting zip lining into one to interfere.

That said nine times out of ten if you're thinking WCW cage match you're thinking Wargames. That had the big selling point was the unique roofed cage.

Well, it's 1/7th the size of the smallest of those.

Sigh...come on...that has literally nothing to do with the point I made and doesn't change my main point one bit. I meant in terms of being a giant, global corporation based around sports and televised entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 stacybeauchamp

Regis is still going strong, at 85.

I miss him on letterman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Regis is still going strong, at 85.

I miss him on letterman

I miss Letterman!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just on the back of the Vince injury news. The day Vince goes is going to be a sad day. Normally when I hear of a wrestler's death I don't give it much thought and move on, even with stuff like Owen the tribute show connected with me more so than the actual death. I think with Vince it would be the first time I'd actually feel a loss.

The man might be a petty, grade A bastard on the business side of things but he has been responsible for some of my fondest wrestling memories both directly as Mr. McMahon, and from behind the curtain. Always seems to be willing to do anything he asks the wrestlers to do, and some of the backstage stories are unreal.

Even thinking of never seeing that strut, or hearing his snarling voice live again is a sad thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I read something there that i never knew about until now, as to how tag partners subtly communicate the right time for the "hot tag" to each other.

What's done is, when reaching for the tag, if it is not the right time, the guy waiting to tag in will hold his hand out, palm down.

When the time is right, and the crowd build to the max for the hot tag, he will reach for the tax with his palm towards the roof - the guy looking to get out then knows it's time to tag out.

Pretty cool huh? Is this generally known of - i never heard of it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just on the back of the Vince injury news. The day Vince goes is going to be a sad day. Normally when I hear of a wrestler's death I don't give it much thought and move on, even with stuff like Owen the tribute show connected with me more so than the actual death. I think with Vince it would be the first time I'd actually feel a loss.

The man might be a petty, grade A bastard on the business side of things but he has been responsible for some of my fondest wrestling memories both directly as Mr. McMahon, and from behind the curtain. Always seems to be willing to do anything he asks the wrestlers to do, and some of the backstage stories are unreal.

Even thinking of never seeing that strut, or hearing his snarling voice live again is a sad thought.

A lot of people love Vince and a lot of people hate him, but at the end of the day no promoter has managed to do what he did for as long as he did, and is still doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anyone know if Conor's cure is replacing Susan Kolman ? If so I'd like that as it is a much better fit for WWE and will come across as less forced. Nothing against the charity (although I did hear others saying negatives before) but I always found it didn't fit as well to have segments with middle aged women during a PW show while obviously kids and a kids charity born out of a young WWE fan who was even the first recipient of the WWE's HOF Warrior award obviously makes a lot more sense imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Anyone know if Conor's cure is replacing Susan Kolman ? If so I'd like that as it is a much better fit for WWE and will come across as less forced. Nothing against the charity (although I did hear others saying negatives before) but I always found it didn't fit as well to have segments with middle aged women during a PW show while obviously kids and a kids charity born out of a young WWE fan who was even the first recipient of the WWE's HOF Warrior award obviously makes a lot more sense imo.
    I hope so, given what's been said about Koman "charity". Stuff like trying stop charities of a similar nature, all while pocketing donation money for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pretty sure the NFL has a partnership with Komen too and I think October is the breast cancer awareness month where you see all the pink stuff. We'll probably see it in WWE too as I don't think they've ended their partnership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I hope so, given what's been said about Koman "charity". Stuff like trying stop charities of a similar nature, all while pocketing donation money for themselves.

Yeah that was kinda what I was eluding to about the negatives heard from other sources and even though I don't know about that personally (so didn't delve into it) I would also like if they just replaced it with the better fit Conor's cure.

but I guess as above they will just have both with the Pink in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I loved Vince the commentator long before I knew he was the man running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I loved Vince the commentator long before I knew he was the man running the show.

UN-BE-LEIVABLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So did I. I always thought him, JR and King together were the dream team in commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

What a manoeuvre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So did I. I always thought him, JR and King together were the dream team in commentary.

They were excellent.

I fear gorilla and bobby heenan are forgotten about because the product was shïte at the time. They were such a good pairing also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've been watching some of the OSW Review vids, it was quite funny to hear the lads giving out about Vince pretending not to know anything back in the days when he was "just" a commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I absolutely hate the new grey mats and barriers at ring side. Did they find some wcw thunder mats or ring aprons in the warehouse or what ? What was wrong with black mats and black barriers ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement