Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can they ffs stop putting Connor's Cure badges on the heels?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I agree it does ruin the character. Imagine if Strowman came out wearing one. And I think Bray wore one on Sunday. "We may be evil, but we know a good cause when we see it"
    Or maybe the charity is a cover for their evil deeds...

Is pulling the tights actually considered illegal under the ring rules? I mean, I know it's obviously a gimmick to give a heel a screwy finish, but if the ref sees it, does he stop the count?

Oh and one other 'random' thought I've been having lately - they really need to protect the superplex. It's just a dangerous spot for no reason these days. I'd love to see it directly lead to some pinfalls, or at the very least, book the matches so that whoever gets to hit the superplex is the one who goes on to win. Imagine the added suspense when they go up top, if you knew it had direct influence on the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Oh and one other 'random' thought I've been having lately - they really need to protect the superplex. It's just a dangerous spot for no reason these days. I'd love to see it directly lead to some pinfalls, or at the very least, book the matches so that whoever gets to hit the superplex is the one who goes on to win.

Agreed. I like Rollin's move where he does the Superplex into the Falcon Arrow, but damn, protect the Superplex. It should virtually kill both guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is pulling the tights actually considered illegal under the ring rules? I mean, I know it's obviously a gimmick to give a heel a screwy finish, but if the ref sees it, does he stop the count?
    I don't think you can get disqualified for it, however if the ref does see it I believe he is supposed to stop the count.

Angron wrote: »
    I don't think you can get disqualified for it, however if the ref does see it I believe he is supposed to stop the count.

Ha. That's gas.

Turn a man upside down and drive the crown of his head into the ground, likely killing or paralyising him - grand.

Tug on his tights - less of that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Someone can win a match blatantly cheating (tv clearly shows it) and nothing is said about it

Always laugh when the ref gets distracted and the face superstar is always attacked from behind and when the ref turns around both superstars are layed out on the ground (did the ref not realise the face guy was perfectly standing before he got distracted or even hear the commotion going on behind him lol ????). The wind must of caught the guy and he fell down lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I read something there that i never knew about until now, as to how tag partners subtly communicate the right time for the "hot tag" to each other.

What's done is, when reaching for the tag, if it is not the right time, the guy waiting to tag in will hold his hand out, palm down.

When the time is right, and the crowd build to the max for the hot tag, he will reach for the tax with his palm towards the roof - the guy looking to get out then knows it's time to tag out.

Pretty cool huh? Is this generally known of - i never heard of it before.

Isn't there also a rule that a tag team can break up a pin legally twice in a match or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Isn't there also a rule that a tag team can break up a pin legally twice in a match or something like that?

Ya, the refs have been told to treat matches like shoots, and will DQ on the 3rd break up attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Angron wrote: »
    I've been watching some of the OSW Review vids, it was quite funny to hear the lads giving out about Vince pretending not to know anything back in the days when he was "just" a commentator.

Cheers! What episode was this?

I didn't know Vince was the owner until he was outed in 97 - I wondered why wrestlers would start shouting and fighting with Vince! Like how's that going to help? :pac: Looking back on the heavy foreshadowing is great

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thoughts on Matt Riddle?

Only started watching some of his matches recently. I was impressed by what I'd seen, but was blown away when I read he has only been at it for like 18 months. He's a complete natural in the ring ala Kurt Angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Clegg wrote: »
    Thoughts on Matt Riddle?

Only started watching some of his matches recently. I was impressed by what I'd seen, but was blown away when I read he has only been at it for like 18 months. He's a complete natural in the ring ala Kurt Angle.

I think he could be the next big thing if wwe signs him. I think he's already on the way to being one of the biggest names on the indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are there any gimmicks that WWE or any promotion have not thinkerd with ???

I can't recall ever seeing an opera gimmick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

It's funny that Sasha Banks criticized the Butterfly belt even though she went after it and she likes the new belt that looks like 3 other belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are there any gimmicks that WWE or any promotion have not thinkerd with ???

I can't recall ever seeing an opera gimmick

Aiden English sang show tunes that's close enough :pac: when he started in NXT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

sky88 wrote: »
    Clegg wrote: »
    Thoughts on Matt Riddle?

I think he could be the next big thing if wwe signs him. I think he's already on the way to being one of the biggest names on the indies.

He kinda is a WWE guy already. He started training at the PC and WWE wanted him to get some experience outside the system first so sent him to Gabe. He will be back in WWE whenever HHH and Canyon Ceman decide that he is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Read an interview with him the other day where he suggested that his pro cannabis stance was an issue for WWE and was the reason he hadn't signed as yet.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Read an interview with him the other day where he suggested that his pro cannabis stance was an issue for WWE and was the reason he hadn't signed as yet.

To be fair smoking weed hasnt held back Randy Orton. If you are good enough WWE will overlook any issues you may have.

And yes Paul London and Brian Kendrick used to get **** from Vince for smoking but they were also idiots backstage. I would be surprised if 50% of the roster dont regularly smoke cannabis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah but he's made his views on legalisation known publicly which is more of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Not sure if I have put this here before but IMO Rusev surely has to be classed as one, if not, THE greatest "foreigner" gimmick ever.

He has been massive success since he arrived. Credibly-wise, booking-wise and matches wise he has been north of four stars in everything he has done (bar the Ziggler stuff I guess)

Sheiky is the only one that comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nikita Koloff in the 80's was a huge money maker not sure Rusev comes close to that as much as I like Rusev.

Nikita Koloff in the 80's was a huge money maker not sure Rusev comes close to that as much as I like Rusev.

Yep Nikita is still #1 IMO. Rusev is good but still has a way to go to displace Nikita.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A random thought.

What are people's opinions on the term "sports entertainment" after all these years ?

I don't dislike it or maybe I can't be arsed getting annoyed by it. I'm open to correction but i feel like the term has become more entrenched as the years have gone on. I think not much will actually change when Steph and trips are in charge BUT I do think that triple h will let up on the strictness of its use.

My big issue is when they try and present wwwf legends like buddy Rodgers, Bruno sammartino, billy graham, and bob backlund were sports entertainers. I mean Vince as an announcer at the time called it pro wrestling. So in that regard WWE can **** right off with that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

LeeJM wrote: »

Yep Nikita is still #1 IMO. Rusev is good but still has a way to go to displace Nikita.
    Nikita is the definition of living your gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yeah Nikita's story is gas when you think of it. Scratch that, any stories from the eras of kayfabe and how they upheld it are gas.

Wouldn't be totally against "Sport Entertainment" and the use of it but it really p*sses on my cornflakes when they purposely run a mile from "pro wrestling" and wrestling terms as if they something to be ashamed of. Vince really has to get over himself. "Wrestling/Wrestler" shouldn't be a dirty word. I really can't see what's the problem with my wrestlers wrestling for a strap, belt or title n all that jazz.

I remember when LOD got induced to the HOF. Animal was so overtly giving the sport entertainment spiel it was cringey.

"30 years ago when me and Hawk entered this wacky world of Sport Entertainment, we made a pact to be the most bad ass sport entertainers there ever were etc etc"

F right off!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Not a thought, but I'm listening to Meltzer on the day WWE were buying WCW. Interesting listen, he's bang on about it all so far. Sounds like Spike Dudley and Justin Credible must've been getting fuuuuuuck all in their WWE runs from the hints he's giving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwuIxeZX94

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Not a thought, but I'm listening to Meltzer on the day WWE were buying WCW. Interesting listen, he's bang on about it all so far. Sounds like Spike Dudley and Justin Credible must've been getting fuuuuuuck all in their WWE runs from the hints he's giving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwuIxeZX94

I can imagine, they don't strike me as the type of people Vince would have much interest in. Raven was also underused in WWE too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Yeah Nikita's story is gas when you think of it. Scratch that, any stories from the eras of kayfabe and how they upheld it are gas.

Wouldn't be totally against "Sport Entertainment" and the use of it but it really p*sses on my cornflakes when they purposely run a mile from "pro wrestling" and wrestling terms as if they something to be ashamed of. Vince really has to get over himself. "Wrestling/Wrestler" shouldn't be a dirty word. I really can't see what's the problem with my wrestlers wrestling for a strap, belt or title n all that jazz.

I remember when LOD got induced to the HOF. Animal was so overtly giving the sport entertainment spiel it was cringey.

"30 years ago when me and Hawk entered this wacky world of Sport Entertainment, we made a pact to be the most bad ass sport entertainers there ever were etc etc"

F right off!!!!!

They just want you to be sports entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

Has Rollins started using the sling blade as a nod to Devitt since the injury or is it just something I hadn't noticed before?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement