Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭LOTD

I'm on the same wavelength as you Omackeral, Japanese wrestling is so refreshing and great to watch, I like how it's looks like a fight and not a series of nicely rehearsed moves. I watched the Ishii vs Shibata that Rovert posted on the best matches of 2013, it was great stuff. Never really watched Japanese wrestling, bar the stuff I saw on the wrestling channel on sky (anyone remember that!). Just on a side note the Japanese crowds are great, they are not as silent as they are made out to be, they really get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When they gasp and cheer etc, it really adds to the atmosphere I think. The ring looks cool also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Think Rockstar Spud has been great in his role in Tna as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

GTR63 wrote: »
    Think Rockstar Spud has been great in his role in Tna as of late.

Wasnt sure about it at first, but he has given it everything and it's paid off. Delighted for him considering he was pretty much never used before hand.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wasnt sure about it at first, but he has given it everything and it's paid off. Delighted for him considering he was pretty much never used before hand.

When he celebrated with Dixie last week did he motorboat her or was that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When he celebrated with Dixie last week did he motorboat her or was that just me?

Wait a minute.... you motorboated Dixie?!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Omackeral wrote: »

Sure who hasn't?

I went to look for the video of them celebrating but couldn't find anything like that.

Omackeral wrote: »

Ah great one.
    But Spud did it, wonder if they'll get in a guy to team with him now & call him Spudgun or Dave Hedgehog.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I dont get all the love for Roman Reigns. Hes green as grass, and not that great on the mike. He's got a great look no doubt, but is he really that good? I dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

He reminds me of Batista when he was in Evoultion. Hes average at the minute, not great but hes not looking too sloppy or green either. WWE are doing a great job of making him look strong and hiding his flaws.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I dont get all the love for Roman Reigns. Hes green as grass, and not that great on the mike. He's got a great look no doubt, but is he really that good? I dont think so.

I get where your coming from , I've seen people go on about his charisma, all he does is let out a big roar before or after a spear, plus he hardly speaks. Putting him with Rollins was a great move, as Joe said they are making him look strong without doing a whole lot by himself.

As far as the green comment, what do you want, he doesn't make loads of apparent mistakes, he is crisp and concise with his moves, a lot like his cousin The Rock. He isn't out there to be a ring technician he is a big physical guy.

The WWE are doing a great job of positioning Reigns as the guy particularly with the match at Survivor Series. For me though Rollins is the stand out member of The Shield.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For me it's Ambrose, then Rollins, with Reigns last.

Angron wrote: »
    For me it's Ambrose, then Rollins, with Reigns last.

Same here, but everyone has a different opinion it seems.

Ambrose has a lot of quailities i like. He reminds me of Brian Pillman, Roddy Piper, Regal and even Steve Austin is some of his promos and ring work. (I do realise hes not at there level yet).

Rollins has potential too, hes not far off Ambrose but still seems a little green in his mic work. Great performer in ring though, a great all rounder.

Reigns has the look and is a grand big fella which WWE likes. Dont see him as a main eventer yet but maybe in a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Reigns is head and shoulders above the other two for me.Solid in the ring and will get better the more singles stuff he does,great look and has that Batista like prescence and big time aura that you don't see too often anymore.If WWE continue to handle him like they have done so far I can't not see him being a main event level player in a years time.

Rollins has done well for himself too,best of the three in ring and he has surprised me with how well he's performed on the mic when given the opportunity.

Ambrose does nothing for me.Don't get the hype at all.Sloppy to just about average in ring and a complete hammy over-actor on the mic,and not in a good way.Can't see him straying too far from the midcard when the Shield finally split.

Reigns is head and shoulders above the other two for me.Solid in the ring and will get better the more singles stuff he does,great look and has that Batista like prescence and big time aura that you don't see too often anymore.If WWE continue to handle him like they have done so far I can't not see him being a main event level player in a years time.

Rollins has done well for himself too,best of the three in ring and he has surprised me with how well he's performed on the mic when given the opportunity.

Ambrose does nothing for me.Don't get the hype at all.Sloppy to just about average in ring and a complete hammy over-actor on the mic,and not in a good way.Can't see him straying too far from the midcard when the Shield finally split.

Reigns is not head and shoulders above the rest of the Shield, in fact he isn't at the same level at the two other guys at the moment, but he is getting there a lot faster than I taught he would be. The WWE are handling him right, not too often in recent memory you can say that.

For me Rollins is the best in ring performer as well.

I'm not a huge Ambrose fan, but he is the best on the mic and he isn't a sloppy in ring performer people like Ryback are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Watched the 1992 Rumble again today, 22 years old can you believe it.

Ah i was watching 1995 the other day. Seeing Davey Boy and HBK go at it made me feel old.

I was 11 at the time. Man where have the years gone

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah i was watching 1995 the other day. Seeing Davey Boy and HBK go at it made me feel old.

I was 11 at the time. Man where have the years gone

Your not old, but your getting there :D

I was listening to MLW yesterday with Konnan and co. A listeners question mentioned how CM Punk seemed so un athletic and sloppy in ring and Konnan made the point he picked Punk as being sloppy when there was Khali in the same promotion, and saying Punk is a great in ring performer. MSL brought the point that he probably had to change his style when going to the WWE, i.e not being as stiff, like many other guys do when in the WWE. They also brought up the banned move list and how it can limit guys in the ring.

I guess my taught/question is do wrestling fans like ourselves pick apart in ring work too much or do we set incredibly high standards at times. I mean when Khali wrestles we know what to expect, but when Punk doesn't lay the elbow down hard enough the quality of pro wrestler he is, is questioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's relative, like we respect Punk's work, and expect a high standard, and don't Khali's. I bet Punk would be upset if we didn't expect such a high standard from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

As Jay said, different standards that they themselves have set. Punk has set an incredibly high standard for himself but in recent months has been falling way short of it, hence the criticism. Khali meanwhile set a low standard from the get go. He has rarely strayed from that standard. They are complete opposites in that regard. The criticism for Punk is well justified too. It's not just the elbow drop that has been off.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    As Jay said, different standards that they themselves have set. Punk has set an incredibly high standard for himself but in recent months has been falling way short of it, hence the criticism. Khali meanwhile set a low standard from the get go. He has rarely strayed from that standard. They are complete opposites in that regard. The criticism for Punk is well justified too. It's not just the elbow drop that has been off.

That's true for Khali :p. For me Punk looks like 35 year old man who needs a long break from wrestling. My question is more general I was only using Punk and Khali as the example from the MLW discussion. Do we dissect in ring too meticulously from a fans point of view?

Don't be trippin on Reigns.
    I'd be unpopular and put Ambrose last. He's good on the mic but a lot of his single matches have been nothing special tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whoever the best/favourite is, they're an ideal team!

Don't be trippin on Reigns.
    I'd be unpopular and put Ambrose last. He's good on the mic but a lot of his single matches have been nothing special tbh.

Who's trippin on Reigns bro :confused:

LOTD wrote: »
    Who's trippin on Reigns bro :confused:

HATTERS thats who, a page back saying he's green. Don't get the size thing either, when he stands next to Rollins there ain't a huge difference tbh. He's nowhere near "bigger" than Batista was in Evolution

HATTERS thats who, a page back saying he's green. Don't get the size thing either, when he stands next to Rollins there ain't a huge difference tbh. He's nowhere near "bigger" than Batista was in Evolution

I agree the green comment doesn't apply to Reigns, my question to them is, when does somebody stop being green, he has great movement in the ring. Reigns isn't even the biggest guy in The Shield, he doesn't have the charisma or presence people says he has yet. I agree with your previous Ambrose comment he hasn't been outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

LOTD wrote: »
    Do we dissect in ring too meticulously from a fans point of view?

In short, yes. We love wrestling so much we want to talk about every aspect. We're not casual fans though. We're the 1%. In the down times (which is basically 2002 onwards, outside of Mania season) we keep wrestling going. The problem is that wrestling is not constructed well enough to stand up to even basic scrutiny (I present to you Big Show's booking for the last 3 months) and so this leads to mostly giving out. The giving out allows us to 'cleanse' ourselves of the sub-standard show we've watched and continue on hoping for something better. There's nothing wrong it - complaining means you love wrestling but what they're producing isn't good enough.

The answer really is to "care less". If you weren't on the net and just watched it as a TV show, and didn't really pay attention, you'd be far more accommodating to terrible writing/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ive never designed nor wore a Hat in my life...

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ive never designed nor wore a Hat in my life...
    Oh bollocks!

tumblr_lgmxntsQqy1qaaef3.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement