Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tssk wrote: »
    Has Rollins started using the sling blade as a nod to Devitt since the injury or is it just something I hadn't noticed before?

No he's been doing it for a long time and he even drew comparison to it and Devitt's in the buildup to their match at Summerslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I do hope that there will be a women's version of CWC, it would help to bring in new names for NXT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Not a thought, but I'm listening to Meltzer on the day WWE were buying WCW. Interesting listen, he's bang on about it all so far. Sounds like Spike Dudley and Justin Credible must've been getting fuuuuuuck all in their WWE runs from the hints he's giving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQwuIxeZX94

Kinda fascinating artefact those shows. Contrast with today and Meltzer is so more diplomatic and Alvarez lost interest long ago. It's funny when he says "yeah it was weird not watching thunder this week.

Try get a hold of the John Arezzi Pro Wrestling Spotlight radio shows from the early 90s. It covers the emergence of ECW and has some rather odd sounding kayfabe'd interviews with (I think) Gabe Sapolsky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

If it weren't for the commentary I might actually watch TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

If it weren't for the commentary I might actually watch TNA.

By far the worst ive ever heard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Josh Matthews in particular is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Angron wrote: »
    Josh Matthews in particular is horrific.

Dang, Josh Matthews deleted his tweet insulting TJ Perkins so I can't embed it! Comes off as such a bellend!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Doesn't surprise me, Mathews has a history of saying crappy things on twitter. I know before when Perkins was unhappy at still being made to play the Manik character, Josh told him to "go away bro".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mathews is just terrible he just gotten worse since he left WWE. he seems to have this high opinion of himself as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That time JBL mentioned Phil Bardsley On WWE. Very Random.

Sorry its balls.ie link

https://www.balls.ie/football/8979645-rooney-wwe/252394

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Dang, Josh Matthews deleted his tweet insulting TJ Perkins so I can't embed it! Comes off as such a bellend!

Got your back Jay, Thank you screen grab

https://twitter.com/jamieedington_/status/776332586591383552

CsX2DGZWAAADMyj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Is it just me or do both the universal and world titles seem less important than the world title was before the split? I really think WWE should have one undisputed champ, I could see that elevate the mid card titles and have less championship reigns that wouldn't/shouldn't have happened ala Khali, Ziggler, Henry and Big Show. I think it would also make it a way bigger deal when someone like Christian finally got to win the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha ha ha, yeah. From a kayfabe point of view, the Universal and WWE champions are champions of a TV show; as opposed to a company. "I'm the champion of Tuesdays"...:rolleyes::pac:

WWE are of the mindset of the more average content, the better. Which is why for the next few months we're gonna get reports of "lowest rated RAW since 97" and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is it just me or do both the universal and world titles seem less important than the world title was before the split? I really think WWE should have one undisputed champ, I could see that elevate the mid card titles and have less championship reigns that wouldn't/shouldn't have happened ala Khali, Ziggler, Henry and Big Show. I think it would also make it a way bigger deal when someone like Christian finally got to win the big one.

Surely Christian belongs with the other names.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Turtyturd wrote: »

Ah I think at his peak Christian should have been a serious main eventer, didn't he have some crazy win/loss record of something like only winning 7 matches in over a year and still seemed like a genuine upper/mid card heel before he went to TNA?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah I think at his peak Christian should have been a serious main eventer, didn't he have some crazy win/loss record of something like only winning 7 matches in over a year and still seemed like a genuine upper/mid card heel before he went to TNA?

I love Christian, Seriously talented in-ring worker and a great talker, but I he (and a lot of other champs) he fell short of being a top guy.

Similar to Jericho, he was over, talented and hard working, but he just lacked that aura of a top guy.

The world champion should be for those who are believably the top guy in the company. A Stone Cold, Rock, Hogan, Cena, Flair, Bret, all of these guys are in my opinion top tier guys. Christian only got a run due to the 2 championships, his being the lesser of the two at the time. Had he gotten a chance when there was only one title, he would end up in failed run ala Jericho 2001/02

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Turtyturd wrote: »

No never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Christian in 2005 was really over and was doing some really good promo work, it seemed like a good time to push him. Just look at the reaction he is getting in these videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes they should have strapped the rocket to Christian in '05. Unfortunately the mindset at the time was not what it is today and back then they didn't think a guy of his size could be a main eventer.

There was a UK show in that period where Batista took on Christian and they actually had to edit the crowd responses because Christian was so much more over than Batista (and this was after Batista had won the title).

They cut off Christian's momentum by drafting him to Smackdown and sticking him in a US Title feud with Booker T where he became just another guy. It was one of the dumbest uses of a talent of the era. When they later gave him the World Title he was nowhere near as over as he was in '05. The mindset had changed by that stage - although they were still never sold on the guy - but by then it was too late. The moment had gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Count me in this Christian love in.

Was always worth your time throughout his whole run in WWE and not forgetting his run in TNA when it was at it's peak. Really made a big deal of him arriving and rightfully so.

Will always be overshadowed by Edge and what he achieved. Edge was great and all considered, Christian was pound for pound not fair off him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You can have your Christian love but leave Edge out of it. Edge is way ahead of him as a talent and actual achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Liz where's Liz????

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

She's watching from the sidelines and appreciating all this Christian loving and defending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

the second tlc match between them, the hardys and the dudleys will always hold a special place for me! the at last you're on your own theme is still my ringtone actually now I mention it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭kksaints

Christian was defintiely an underated wrestler very good at promos and comedy skits, always had good matches. It was a real shame that his title runs on Smackdown in 2011 were treated so poorly by the WWE. He deserved at least one much longer title reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Didn't his first world title run last a day or something. Christian also seems like one of the good guys of wrestling. I was delighted when he won the title. He did have Orton and Sheamus in the smackdown main event scene at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought Christian was great, his friendship and feud with Jericho was one of the best, funniest stories on WWE at the time imo, 'one dollar, canadian' :D. He was a proper heel who still got over while being an actual rude, sleazy heel. Him hitting on Trish after they were put in an intergender match 'We'll just go out to the ring, I lay down and you just cover me, 1,2,3................... and since I lay down for you, maybe you can lay down for me' :pac:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dm5oz_christian-and-trish-stratus-backstage-segment_sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Tomko's role in the Christian/Tomko duo in WWE is underrated.

I don't think Christian ever could've been a top guy, but their unwillingness to run with the pretty f*cking obvious appeal of a veteran underdog face championship run for Christian following Edge's retirement was shockingly blinkered. Between goodwill towards Edge and Christian being a guy that would be able to garner a face pop pretty easily using an underappreciated veteran type gimmick.
    Especially as they were starting into a very dominant heel run for Mark Henry at the time too. Give him three or four months of pulling through with the title only to have Henry absolutely kill him when he finally got up to the title scene.

but instead Vince got into a panic over the idea of Christian being on top* and threw the belt onto Orton ASAP only to realise there wasn't really anyone set up for Orton to work with and Orton's face character wasn't at all figured out.

* Vince has always thought Christian was an astoundingly ugly guy, to the point that I believe he wanted to come up with an excuse to hide his face from television at one point. I don't really get this at all, Christian (post-haircut) would've been down as one of the better looking wrestlers to me tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Tomko's role in the Christian/Tomko duo in WWE is underrated.

Tomko, gimme a beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tomko, gimme a beat

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement