Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Did anyone watch the hidden gems match with Harley race vs Bob backlund on the network ? It's a great match and as the WWF champ was the lesser champion than the NWA champ they made a great job of making both look strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm really enjoying Smackdown moreo than Raw right now. I mean you've got a solid main event in AJ Styles, John Cena, Randy Orton, and Dean Ambrose, with guys like Bray Wyatt and Kane(I know he's old and kind've lame now) to play supporting roles to the main event.

Then you've got The Miz who is doing really well as the Intercontinental Champion, I mean he's been very solid since winning the title I think, and he's got Maryse as a valet which is a bonus. I'm actually enjoying Heath Slater, he's got a good thing going now with his character, and the tag division looks promising too.

Then of course you got the women's division on Smackdown, with our very own Becky Lynch as champion, but Alexa Bliss is a pretty good heel too. Overall I think the Smackdown's womens division is out performing Raw's womens division.

Oh, and as an added bonus they don't have Stephanie McMahon, Triple H or the Authority on Smackdown either. I mean I know they have Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan, but they don't take up as much attention as the authority, and are mainly there to provide a supporting role which is how it should be. So sick of the evil authority figure angles now, they do more harm to the wrestlers they work with than help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Riddle101 wrote: »

Oh, and as an added bonus they don't have Stephanie McMahon, Triple H or the Authority on Smackdown either. I mean I know they have Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan, but they don't take up as much attention as the authority, and are mainly there to provide a supporting role which is how it should be. So sick of the evil authority figure angles now, they do more harm to the wrestlers they work with than help them.

In fairness triple h has only made one appearance since WrestleMania and id say he wouldn't have been seen at all if balor hadn't gotten injured. Its really just Stephanie sucking the life out of everything. She needs to stay backstage and unseen for a long time.

I worry for sasha banks longevity in the ring as she's tiny is stature yet she takes some very hard bumps and has been injured a bit.

I don't know if sasha feels because she isn't as big the other women she needs to go all out and that's fine in moderation but long term it's not going to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I worry for sasha banks longevity in the ring as she's tiny is stature yet she takes some very hard bumps and has been injured a bit.

I don't know if sasha feels because she isn't as big the other women she needs to go all out and that's fine in moderation but long term it's not going to be good.

Sasha is an interesting one. She gets all this praise as being a member of the Four Horsewomen and being part of the women's revolution and all that jazz but when you look at her objectively.....I don't get it. Bad at talking/promos, unlikeable as a face and pretty average in the ring. I feel the reason she takes the bumps (badly at that) is to make up for the lack of everything else. The Boss character is great though and she plays that brilliantly. As a heel. To me it doesn't work as a face

That should probably have gone in the unpopular opinions thread too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sasha doesn't work as a face because she's a smug, arrogant, self-entitled crybaby. In other words, her character is a heel, but we're presented her against heels as if she's a face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

Somebody should the insult against Charlotte, "The Flair Witch".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sasha is unlike a lot of females WWE have had. When she delivers a move or a strike she is convincing and overall acts like she wants to win a fight. Thats what I like about her.

She doesn't need to take all those bumps and it doesn't help that so many are working with Charlotte who is differant to most female wrestlers and not accomplished in ring (yet). Stick her in with someone like Becky and she can safely bump.

I loved that WWE put the nature boys farewell Raw up and put the off the air stuff at the end. I'd never seen the whole off the air thing in full until now. It's was the perfect send off for one of the greats of the business known as pro wrestling. And who ever thought that his youngest daughter would be the women's champion eight years after that moment ? It's amazing how life goes isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sasha doesn't work as a face because she's a smug, arrogant, self-entitled crybaby. In other words, her character is a heel, but we're presented her against heels as if she's a face.
    Many people who are faces act like heels.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    764dak wrote: »
    Many people who are faces act like heels.

Yeah, it seems like WWE thinks that giving a babyface heelish tendencies, it makes them a badass or something, like Roman Reigns and his feud with Rusev which was seriously lopsided as Reigns kept getting the best of Rusev, and just came off heelish in the feud. Some wrestlers can pull it off like Eddie Guerrero when he did to lie, cheat, and steal gimmick, but other wrestlers just come off badly when trying to be a babyface doing heelish things, like Sasha. She just doesn't translate well as a face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Agree, Sasha in NXT as the bitchy, heel, Boss character was great. She's not a natural face at all unlike Becky for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't get WWE's portrayal of characters. Maybe they think they're fully-fleshed out "people" so they're shades of grey, but since the writing & acting is so poor, it just comes across badly. As you said, the Boss character is a bitchy heel, but directly opposes how WWE portray Sasha (as a grateful, crying, hugging babyface). Maybe the writers are just too close to the product to see it. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Was recently watching some Dean Malenko WCW matches on the Network. What a talent, the guy doesn't get enough respect.

I'd highly recommend the 30+ minute clinic he puts on with Benoit at the PPV Hogwild 96. Pure tech wrestling to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Was recently watching some Dean Malenko WCW matches on the Network. What a talent, the guy doesn't get enough.

He was very understated character wise, at a time when attitudes were becoming a massive part of wrestling. Here on boards.ie he gets lots of love, he even was voted best Cruiserweight of all time in our tournament which you can check out here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057301062

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cud be wrong but I have not seen Shane McMahon on TV in a few weeks. Is he on a long vacation ???

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think Reid Flair would have made something of himself, he was young in wrestling terms only 25. I remember Ric's encouraging comments when he made his debut in Charlotte at the tail end of 08.

I heard there was positive feedback to his work in Japan early this year, I feel very bad for the Nature Boy, he lost the son who was going to carry his mantle. The name 'Flair' will die with him now.

Just reading this from the very first page of this thread. Bitter sweet in that obviously Reid passed away tragically but Charlotte has surpassed all expectations. I'd imagine Naitch is incredibly proud of his daughter's achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I have seen somebody say they hope Heyman takes over TNA in the TNA thread. Its been nearly 16 years since ECW finished and at least 19 years since it was at its creative peak. If Paul Heyman had any aspirations of running a wrestling company he would have done it by now.

Asking for Paul Heyman to run a wrestling business to be successful and creative is now a kin to hiring Kenny Dalgleish because he won the Premier League with Blackburn!

Yes Heyman is a great promo. But if any one person has had their stock increased by basically doing nothing its Paul Heyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

LeeJM wrote: »
    I have seen somebody say they hope Heyman takes over TNA in the TNA thread. Its been nearly 16 years since ECW finished and at least 19 years since it was at its creative peak. If Paul Heyman had any aspirations of running a wrestling company he would have done it by now.

Asking for Paul Heyman to run a wrestling business to be successful and creative is now a kin to hiring Kenny Dalgleish because he won the Premier League with Blackburn!

Yes Heyman is a great promo. But if any one person has had their stock increased by basically doing nothing its Paul Heyman.

Think it's all down to what he done with Smackdown and the Smackdown 6. Isn't there meant to be rumours that he wants to get back into the wwe creative/writing team or apparently wwe are hoping to get him involved. Besides throwing out ideas or giving feedback on ideas I don't think he'll be running any promotions anytime soon like he did with ecw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

LeeJM wrote: »

Think it's all down to what he done with Smackdown and the Smackdown 6. Isn't there meant to be rumours that he wants to get back into the wwe creative/writing team or apparently wwe are hoping to get him involved. Besides throwing out ideas or giving feedback on ideas I don't think he'll be running any promotions anytime soon like he did with ecw.

So the Smackdown 6 era was only a mere 12-13 years ago. And we all know when Paul doesnt get his way he will find a way to sabotage himself and the storyline. If he is happy just offering ideas then great make him an agent. WWE rightly or wrongly arent getting rid of their writing teams anytime soon and Stephanie and Vince still have the final say so i dont see Heyman being happy on a creative team.

• Advertisement

Ct4Jod0WYAAw7kX.jpg

I'm going to assume this is something not permanent as if that's permanent then he is one bollocks of a young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

It looks feckin sore whatever it is. Some kind of a branding, don't think he's daft enough to do it permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

terrifying, awesome, I'm sure it's for a shoot (photo, not the promo)

I believe it's just special effects. It looks cool though, he should totally keep it for the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anderson & Gallows have become the tag team version of Bray Wyatt never win but always put over as dominant monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Out of curiousity does any here watch WCPW? I don't but I just want to see what those of you do who watch it think of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Anderson & Gallows have become the tag team version of Bray Wyatt never win but always put over as dominant monsters.

made a similar comment on the Raw thread when the show described them as "dominant" and "running roughshod over the tag division" before their match even though all I could remember was how they had lost tag title match after tag title match (and often non title matches) vs the new day for months now.

Hopefully that will change somewhat now that the New day will be facing other teams (Cesaro/Sheamus to begin with).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

made a similar comment on the Raw thread when the show described them as "dominant" and "running roughshod over the tag division" before their match even though all I could remember was how they had lost tag title match after tag title match (and often non title matches) vs the new day for months now.

Hopefully that will change somewhat now that the New day will be facing other teams (Cesaro/Sheamus to begin with).

I think its part of a bigger problem with wwe mainly raw is that they seem to only book one wrestler or team strongly at a time. New day and charlotte for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

made a similar comment on the Raw thread when the show described them as "dominant" and "running roughshod over the tag division" before their match

They dominated Japan sure. I'm not sure on what capacity but I was assured of this by Michael Cole and JBL. Maybe some sort of joint dictatorship?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Saw a rumour that the reason the New Day have held the titles so long is because WWE (read: Vince) wants them to overtake Demolition for the longest overall reign, due in part to Demolition being part of that concussion lawsuit. It's petty and childish of WWE if true, in the exact same manner as Nikki Bella's reign of terror over the women's division, just so she could overtake AJ for longest title reign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement