Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

WWF just sounds better. **** those pandas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I miss wrestlers being referred to as the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Made it seem more prestigious than just WWE Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION... FOR OVER 50 YEARS, A REVOLUTIONARY FORCE IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm off an age where I grew up watching the WWF and still call it the WWF but say on here I do type WWE.

I never really got the "F" out when it comes to calling it the WWF.

Anybody else still call it the WWF ?

I remember the wwf days well. It took me awhile as far as I recall to get used to the change of name but did kind of buy into the whole WWE unlike yourself AC . But with the network and the word WWF not being blurred or censored I have started referring to the time when the WWF was the WWF as such.

The legal name of the company is world wrestling entertainment inc, despite them trying to not acknowledge it. I still feel the lawsuit in the first place was a ridiculous thing for the world wildlife fund to file. I mean who the hell is going to confuse the rock and the undertaker for a panda or other such wildlife ?

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I miss wrestlers being referred to as the World Wrestling Federation Champion. Made it seem more prestigious than just WWE Champion.

I miss the fink announcing a new world champion. "And NEEEEWWWWW world wrestling federation champion..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Yeah I always liked how Stone Cold said the full title: "I will be the World Wrestling Federation Champion."

You never hear anything like that nowadays as it would be too corny: "I will be the World Wrestling Entertainment Champion."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

going to the tapings in glasgow in 2 weeks and have a few questions

Would the Camara man being in way be much of a distraction or would u hardly notice them ???

Shows starts at 7pm
    7-7.30- Superstars (monday) and ME tapings (tuesday)
    7.30-9.30-10- Raw and SD tapings
    15 min dark match after the tapings

is that the right order ??

Will there be ad breaks (as the show is recorded and not broadcast live)

hopefully the plane gets from Dublin to Glasgow and back safely :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I remember waking up as a kid one Saturday morning to watch wrestling and was greeted by "WWFE SmackDown" on sky's guide. I thought to myself "why the f*** did they rename?! This is terrible."

Think it was WWE the Next Week and I gradually got used to it.

I remember waking up as a kid one Saturday morning to watch wrestling and was greeted by "WWFE SmackDown" on sky's guide. I thought to myself "why the f*** did they rename?! This is terrible."

Think it was WWE the Next Week and I gradually got used to it.

WWF around 2000 ish changed the company name from world wrestling federation inc to world wrestling federation entertainment inc. I'm guessing it had something to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Watching NXT and as I've been doing for a while I was trying to think for a while who Johnny Gargano reminds me of. I think it's actually former League of Ireland player now pundit Stuey Byrne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Trying to remember what was Cena's finisher before the FU? If I remember correctly he only started using the FU when he fought Lesnar as a variation of the F5. The STFU didn't some into play until he fought Angle in a Submission match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

It would have been much better if Goldberg's return was kept quiet. I miss the days where you honestly had no clue who was going to show up on Raw or Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Yeah I always liked how Stone Cold said the full title: "I will be the World Wrestling Federation Champion."

You never hear anything like that nowadays as it would be too corny: "I will be the World Wrestling Entertainment Champion."

The registered, legal name is World Wrestling Entertainment. WWE is the trade name. It's a orphaned initialism. It is no longer a shortening. WWE is the name since 2011. Another example, SPSS used to stand for Statistical Package for the Social Sciences but it doesn't anymore. It's just SPSS and can be used in any field.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003555.html

WWE is actually mentioned here: http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/orphan-initialism.2347945/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

764dak wrote: »
    The registered, legal name is World Wrestling Entertainment. WWE is the trade name. It's a orphaned initialism. It is no longer a shortening. WWE is the name since 2011. Another example, SPSS used to stand for Statistical Package for the Social Sciences but it doesn't anymore. It's just SPSS and can be used in any field.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003555.html

WWE is actually mentioned here: http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/orphan-initialism.2347945/

Same for KFC these days too.

Source: Am a fat c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Trying to remember what was Cena's finisher before the FU? If I remember correctly he only started using the FU when he fought Lesnar as a variation of the F5. The STFU didn't some into play until he fought Angle in a Submission match

The move he uses to set us the 5 knuckle shuffle. He used to spin it into a slam instead of dropping them straight away. I wanna say it was called the killswitch....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

This always bothered me, for it to sound right you need a term for group in the name -- World Wrestling Federation, National Wrestling Alliance; as opposed to World Championship Wrestling (which sounds like a TV show name, and was!). WCW had to change it to "world heavyweight champion" because "world championship wrestling champion" sounds funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or Universal champion.

One of these days, an alien race will show up to challenge for titles like that and Mr Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Or Universal champion.

One of these days, an alien race will show up to challenge for titles like that and Mr Universe

Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://twitter.com/AustinAries/status/791722851459936256

The King of Strong Style maybe got a little too physical with AA during a NXT house show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

"Cut me open, Mick!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Hell in a Cell is just a rich man's steel cage match.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Aries channeling his inner Glenn.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Chris Jericho is one of the greatest of all time.

For a few years there he pissed me off with his comebacks which always seemed to be around WM for the payday and he seemed to be phoning it in.

This Jericho is as good as he has every been and for a guy who has been in the business for 26 years to be as fresh and as over and still able to do it in the ring he deserves to be considered one of the greatest of all time I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

For a few years there he pissed me off with his comebacks which always seemed to be around WM for the payday and he seemed to be phoning it in.

This Jericho is as good as he has every been and for a guy who has been in the business for 26 years to be as fresh and as over and still able to do it in the ring he deserves to be considered one of the greatest of all time I believe.

Oh yeah, he solidified himself as one of the best for me around his 2008-09 run, the body of work is and achievements is up there with anyone. Not only because he's entertaining, but he's achieved and entertained on every level and every spot on the card no matter what's been asked of him. Could Hogan have been given a spot as a midcard sidekick to the World Champ and still made himself the most must-see part of the show on a weekly basis? I doubt it. Jericho did.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,374 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

All I want is to see the man in person but th baxtard is never at any shows I go too

He is one of the greatest of all time and is a great guy backstage

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

On Chris Jericho, no one else on the roster (and that's not a put down either), could get the 2 phrases "Stupid Idiot" & "You Just Made The List" over with the crowd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

I just dont get the love for sasha for someone her size she is just so slow and almost cumbersome anything good in her matches is usually done or set up by her opponent..not a big fan of the womens scene but charlotte is far and away the best out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

johnruns wrote: »
    I just dont get the love for sasha for someone her size she is just so slow and almost cumbersome anything good in her matches is usually done or set up by her opponent..not a big fan of the womens scene but charlotte is far and away the best out there.

She has her negatives for sure but between her NXT run with Bayley and her main roster run with Charlotte she has had some better WWE womens matches than almost anyone already.

I feel kinda weird about one point re:Sasha - Obviously it's bad that I almost always feel like she could get injured in her matches but it does mean that they are often edge of your seat / more of a suspension of disbelief than other matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

She's really sloppy and at times a danger to herself. She's been in good matches for sure, but she will have a career plagued with injury if she keeps it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

She's really sloppy and at times a danger to herself. She's been in good matches for sure, but she will have a career plagued with injury if she keeps it up.

Vince was right about her. He ain't that out of touch dammit! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement