Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Isn't a hardcore match falls count anywhere? Also, ladder matches and TLC matches are very similar but when they started the only weapon I remember being used in a ladder match was the ladder, so it did make the TLC match seem different when they started

I'm not sure if hardcore follows the same rules as falls count anywhere, it's possible. I know when the hardcore title was around falls counted anywhere, but I dunno if that was just how the matches were, or if that was because of the 24/7 rule.

I suppose the only real difference between ladder and TLC is technically one lets you use chairs and stuff because nobody can actually stop you, while the other one actively encourages you to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I did not realize that Aj Styles is so small (5ft 11) but he is an amazing worker

Not sure would a Styles vs Undertaker programme work because of the height differences between the 2 men but if Rey Mysterio faced taker before than its possible

Im only 5ft 7 so i cant be talking about height lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Isn't a hardcore match falls count anywhere? Also, ladder matches and TLC matches are very similar but when they started the only weapon I remember being used in a ladder match was the ladder, so it did make the TLC match seem different when they started

Off the top of my head, tables were heavily featured in the Hardys vs Dudleys vs Edge and Christian Triangle Ladder match from WM2000 and chairs were heavily used in the Jericho vs Benoit ladder match from Royal Rumble 2001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Random thought, WCWs US title belt was gorgeous

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

LeeJM wrote: »
    Myself and one of my friends were discussing belts that we loved the look of, and both of us still think that the Big Gold Belt is one of the best looking belts there's ever been, though both of us also have a soft spot for the Undisputed/WWE belt that came before the WWE spinner belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I did not realize that Aj Styles is so small (5ft 11) but he is an amazing worker

Not sure would a Styles vs Undertaker programme work because of the height differences between the 2 men but if Rey Mysterio faced taker before than its possible

Im only 5ft 7 so i cant be talking about height lol

I actually quite like big man/small man matches with the smaller guy as the heel! They have to get creative with cheating to stay on top and I think WWE will give AJ a fair shake at a competitive match against Taker, even if he doesn't go over.

Only thing is it doesn't make sense now, storyline-wise, with Taker's threat a few weeks ago. He should be mad at Ambrose, not Styles, after Survivor Series and SmackDown won anyway. So his promo counts for nothing essentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Angron wrote: »
    LeeJM wrote: »
    Myself and one of my friends were discussing belts that we loved the look of, and both of us still think that the Big Gold Belt is one of the best looking belts there's ever been, though both of us also have a soft spot for the Undisputed/WWE belt that came before the WWE spinner belt.
    Big Gold just looks so prestigious. Its what every World Title should aspire to look like. Yea the Undisputed Title was a beauty too. I think the World Tag Team Titles from the initial brand split were great too, they were the Raw Brand titles so think Regal & Storm, Jericho & Christian, Goldust & Booker T.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I always find it funny how most falls count anywhere matches finish in the ring.
    Was Crush/Randy the only time they had a match where the opponent was pinned outside the ring and had a certain amount of time to make it back to the ring? Think Randy won by tying Crush in a chain

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I agree about the big cold belt looking like a world title. It's just a beautiful belt.

WCW_Heavyweight.png

WWF world title. I loved this belt design.
    WWF_Championship_201998_20-_202002.jpg

WCW us title
    f8c1c7b31a1fe30bc7c321e0f6fdfa2c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The classic WWF Championship design was beautiful, compared to the gaudy looking WWE Universal Championship, which looks like it was designed by a child.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The classic WWF Championship design was beautiful, compared to the gaudy looking WWE Universal Championship, which looks like it was designed by a child.

Well was the one I've posted basically an updated version of the winged eagle belt that Bret and Shawn had ? They kind of filled in the wings of the eagle into a round circle.

Well the universal title is basically the WWE championship just in red though so I take you aren't a fan of the current WWE title belt.

That's another thing, the WCW us champion was called a heavyweight wrestling champion just like the IC belt is but WWE won't say what's on the belt.

The NWA worlds title belt known as the globed dome belt.its a nice belt and has the lineage of the NWA whereas the big gold belt is more or less a WCW thing(or at least most closely associated with WCW)

latest?cb=20160406005620

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well was the one I've posted basically an updated version of the winged eagle belt that Bret and Shawn had ? They kind of filled in the wings of the eagle into a round circle.

Well the universal title is basically the WWE championship just in red though so I take you aren't a fan of the current WWE title belt.

That's another thing, the WCW us champion was called a heavyweight wrestling champion just like the IC belt is but WWE won't say what's on the belt.

Hell no, pre-spinner belt for me, the current one is an eyesore, there should be a bit of class in being Champion. Back when titles meant something instead of being passed around like a hot potatoe.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Hell no, pre-spinner belt for me, the current one is an eyesore, there should be a bit of class in being Champion. Back when titles meant something instead of being passed around like a hot potatoe.

Well in the old days a wrestler not only was the world champion but acted like a world champ. I mean ric flair, nick bockwinkle, Harley race. They looked the part.

Why does the US title say "WOW"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why does the US title say "WOW"?

I believe that says WCW, just whatever way the font is makes it look like WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I was delighted when the intercontinental title got the white leather again. A great design

I was delighted when the intercontinental title got the white leather again. A great design

latest?cb=20150224114906

Yep this isn't a toy like the spinner belt this is a pro wrestling belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    latest?cb=20150224114906

Yep this isn't a toy like the spinner belt this is a pro wrestling belt.

That's the one. Whoever held that was the real deal

Honestly I prefer the previous design of the IC title. Maybe because it's the one I most remember and associate with the belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,626 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm pleasantly surprised with Vince for not cutting AJ's run short and having him job to HHH or the likes over and over again till brand AJ was worthless.

I would never have guessed when he arrived that he would turn into the Face that Runs the Place or be heading to what looks like a Mania match with Taker.

As much as most of us bitch at Vince and his booking team they have done a phenomenal job booking AJ.

I'm pleasantly surprised with Vince for not cutting AJ's run short and having him job to HHH or the likes over and over again till brand AJ was worthless.

I would never have guessed when he arrived that he would turn into the Face that Runs the Place or be heading to what looks like a Mania match with Taker.

As much as most of us bitch at Vince and his booking team they have done a phenomenal job booking AJ.
    It's odd, I think (generally) Smackdown's booking has been good, it's just on Raw things go to hell or just flat out make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I would love to know the exact booking teams and if there different. I'm sure Vincent and hhh are main men on both sides but smackdown has been so much better since the draft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

sky88 wrote: »
    I would love to know the exact booking teams and if there different. I'm sure Vincent and hhh are main men on both sides but smackdown has been so much better since the draft

Doesn't the guy who used to be head writer for NXT work on SmackDown now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sirsok1/status/803736349853499392

Bad photo, but done quickly....if I could get Jericho to do this bit from Fr.Ted....well gosh darnit I would be soooooo happy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just finished the Macho Man doc on the Network and while it was a good length for a beyond the ring doc, I was still craving more at the end. I found it was great to hear his backstory before he entered the world of wrestling. I couldn’t help but think did his wrestling career cause the injury which forced him out of baseball.

I found his work ethic and devotion to perfecting his interviews fascinating, and he came across as a very easy guy to work with from that perspective.

His relationship with Elizabeth was very interesting, especially the conflicting opinions of his naturally protective brother and other WWF personalities, which was very fresh for a WWE doc and gave the film a sense of honesty and it felt like these opinions were genuine. (unlike those in, lets say, a Triple H doc, where I question the validity of some of the wrestler statements due to Hunters position in the company). Lanny’s takes on his brother came across very raw and passionate, yet there is part of me thinking he was just trying to protect his brothers image.

I loved Brets line about how jealous he was at savage about his ability to bring his real life partner on the road as he was homesick and missing his wife and kids. I couldn’t blame Savage if he was protective about Liz, but he did seem overly paranoid if what the likes of Jimmy Hart and Hogan say are true (though I don’t trust anything out of Hogans mouth).

The potential Savage v Shawn program after Wrestlemania ten sounded like money in hindsight, I wonder if Shawn nixed the idea, or was it Vince not believing in Savage or a combination of both.

On the whole Steph/Savage rumour, it was always a rumour that never believed. I always felt it was too far-fetched to be true (and I still think its untrue). Vince’s kind words after Savage left suggest that while it may have been an hard break up (due to Savage going to work for Vince’s competition and Vince’s lack of faith in Savage), Vince’s words on air tells the story of a man who still respected Savage, something he never would do if Savage had been with Steph.

That being said I found it odd that WWE seemed to hint at some untold story when Savage shooted on WWE and Hunter after WCW got purchased. Seemed very odd and seemed to subtlety suggest something happened. I can’t see why this was part of the doc.

The never mentioned Sherri which seemed odd too or anything to do with Warrior or his Macho King phase. The never mentioned his feud with Flair either which again seemed like something they could of mentioned.

Overall I could of watched another 3 hours’ worth of story and I feel they could of elaborated on a lot more of the content and added more details about his career feuds. A very good watch even if it did leave me wanting more in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,373 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So superstars has been cancelled

Main Event will now be taped prior to WWE Raw on Mondays. So will ME feature Raw branded stars now ???

The new Crusierweight show 205 live will be taped with WWE Smackdown on Tuesdays

Still dont understand why they didnt just draft the crusierweights to Smackdown as it would be easier for them to travel than some of them being on Raw on Mondays and then have to travel to the SD tapings ???

remember when i was in Glasgow a few weeks ago we got Main Event taped in 2 segments. Chad Gable faced Viktor before the SD tapings started and then after SD ended we got another ME match (Usos vs Hype Bros)

Wasn't Superstars done to to fill contrAct obligations for various international markets.
    And was it that or another one that an american network committed to under the impression it would feature big names like Cena?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

beakerjoe wrote: »

The potential Savage v Shawn program after Wrestlemania ten sounded like money in hindsight, I wonder if Shawn nixed the idea, or was it Vince not believing in Savage or a combination of both.

On the whole Steph/Savage rumour, it was always a rumour that never believed. I always felt it was too far-fetched to be true (and I still think its untrue). Vince’s kind words after Savage left suggest that while it may have been an hard break up (due to Savage going to work for Vince’s competition and Vince’s lack of faith in Savage), Vince’s words on air tells the story of a man who still respected Savage, something he never would do if Savage had been with Steph.

That being said I found it odd that WWE seemed to hint at some untold story when Savage shooted on WWE and Hunter after WCW got purchased. Seemed very odd and seemed to subtlety suggest something happened. I can’t see why this was part of the doc.

i think it was vince who put the nix on the hbk feud, ive always seen and heard talk about how much he liked and admired macho. vince saw macho worth as a commentator but macho wanted to wrestle.

Never believed the steph rumour. vince is not your average persona and i just cant see him ever just letting that go without doing something insane to randy. i would love to know what happened between the two but i dont think we will ever know the full story.

• Advertisement

I'm dreading the day that Ric flair dies as a wrestling fan. I mean hopefully it's not for decades to come but when the day does come the pro wrestling business will have lost its greatest of all time(I know that term is subjective in pro wrestling)

That's why the WWE network to me is a godsend. It's worth the money alone to be able to watch so much Ric flair stuff in perfect quality at the touch of a button. I know that people say he had the same match every night but he was perfect at it and just made whoever he was in the ring with look like a star.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement