Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

LeeJM wrote: »
    The original Undertaker vs Kane feud in the build up to WrestleMania 14 doesnt get half of the praise it should. 'Taker refusing to hit his brother made great tv. And Kane was made to look like an absolute monster who nobody could stop. It was just a brilliantly simple story to understand.

Yes! Completely agree! I was on the fence about getting back into wrestling at this stage (at the ripe old age of 10, see, my tastes had matured) and only checked it out every now and then. I remember being very underwhelmed by this Stone Cold guy everyone in school was talking about. Nothing wrong with him, just a kid from Blanchardstown too young to work can't really relate to a beer-swilling redneck telling his boss to f-off. Then I remember a guy I played football with explaining the Kane back story to me in a car on the way to an away game and I was all-in. For whatever reason that whole thing just grabbed me completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

leggo wrote: »
    Yes! Completely agree! I was on the fence about getting back into wrestling at this stage (at the ripe old age of 10, see, my tastes had matured) and only checked it out every now and then. I remember being very underwhelmed by this Stone Cold guy everyone in school was talking about. Nothing wrong with him, just a kid from Blanchardstown too young to work can't really relate to a beer-swilling redneck telling his boss to f-off. Then I remember a guy I played football with explaining the Kane back story to me in a car on the way to an away game and I was all-in. For whatever reason that whole thing just grabbed me completely.

Ha! This reminds me of the arguments we would have on the way to away games. Kane back then was a fascinating character. Even the mask and bodysuit was just so different to anything we had ever seen on WWF tv.

Also Leggo who did you play for? Hope it wasnt Mochtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I wasn't totally convinced of her when she debuted but I really think Lana is probably the hottest woman in wrestling history. She's beautiful, natural and "sexy hot" all in the one package.

Going by the photo thread we all have our poison.

I wont get a chance in the next few weeks but over Christmas I plan to do a tournament "PW boards favourite divas/female".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, Kane was a big reason I got into wrestling. A load of people were into DX (school was filled with people crotch chopping for the longest time), the Rock, and Stone Cold. It wasn't until I saw Kane, with my cousins showing me a tape of him ripping the door off of the cell during Shawn Michaels vs. Taker that I really "got" it, and that's a huge part of why Kane is still my favourite wrestler of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ha! This reminds me of the arguments we would have on the way to away games. Kane back then was a fascinating character. Even the mask and bodysuit was just so different to anything we had ever seen on WWF tv.

Also Leggo who did you play for? Hope it wasnt Mochtas.

Mochtas wanted me but Verona snagged me up last minute in the under-9 pre-season. Very controversial stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

With regard to Kane I mean his debut was perfect. Vince shouting"that's got to be Kane" and him ripping the door off the cell was such a cool visual and no one had ever dominated taker like that. It was brilliant until they had him talk and by the time he demasked the Kane character has lost its appeal to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was a huge Kane fan back then.

I'll always remember the chills watching that live, seeing this absolute monster coming down to the ring, and ripping the cell door off. The creepy music, the diabolical Paul Bearer behind him, the pyro and THAT MASK!

What a build that whole story line was. For months, Kane was teased and Taker was blatantly warned he was coming.

Remember when he used to wrestle in that red light too? I think his first match was against Vader, and he caved his face in with a wrench. Good times

They should never have taken his mask off.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I was a huge Kane fan back then.

I'll always remember the chills watching that live, seeing this absolute monster coming down to the ring, and ripping the cell door off. The creepy music, the diabolical Paul Bearer behind him, the pyro and THAT MASK!

What a build that whole story line was. For months, Kane was teased and Taker was blatantly warned he was coming.

Remember when he used to wrestle in that red light too? I think his first match was against Vader, and he caved his face in with a wrench. Good times

They should never have taken his mask off.

Yeah the building up before bad blood about this monster younger brother and taker trying to ignore it and then bad blood happened and then the build to wm14 with taker trying his best not to fight Kane was done so well.

The settting the crew member on fire and the "bolt of lightning" hitting the tower next to the tron and the setting the casket on fire. You really has a sense that it was two forces of darkness battling to get the upper hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Didn't Cornette say he was more or less handed the introduction and booking of Kane? You can tell by listening to him talk about Kane how much pride he has in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's a pity they haven't done many angles akin to the Kane/Undertaker one. It had sooo many dimensions. Glenn Jacobs should take a lot of credit for it. He was massive and oozed credible threat to Taker.

Always heard the rumour of Gallows being brought in to be a third brother when he was the Freakin' Decon. Not sure how that would have played out but I think it would have been boss. On the same note, it's a pity Abyss didn't jump TNA at the right time could have fit perfectly with Taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Didn't Cornette say he was more or less handed the introduction and booking of Kane? You can tell by listening to him talk about Kane how much pride he has in him.

Im not sure, but Cornette worked with Kane pre WWF/WWE in Smokey Mountain Wrestling, he gave Kane is first really shot in wrestling and helped him get a job in WWF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Speaking of gallows it still amazes me he was only 24 when he was festus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,804 ✭✭✭✭briany

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    With regard to Kane I mean his debut was perfect. Vince shouting"that's got to be Kane" and him ripping the door off the cell was such a cool visual and no one had ever dominated taker like that. It was brilliant until they had him talk and by the time he demasked the Kane character has lost its appeal to me at least.

He talked with that electronic voice box for a little while, and I found that to be a really creepy touch to the original form of the gimmick, but I agree that the thing lost a little bit of its lustre when he started talking with his normal voice. In fact, as the character gained in humanity, it lost its fearsome aspect, but there weren't too many places to go with the original Kane character. Taker started from a similar position in that he was a pretty one-dimensional (albeit very cool) monster when he began, but he became more 'normal' as time went on. It got to the stage where he was coming out on a Harley and wearing biker gear. A far, far cry from the zombie that debuted in 1991.

However, most iterations of the Undertaker were well-received, and I thought the Kane gimmick got a new lease on life when he was unmasked and became more sadistic than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Speaking of Kane, Abyss etc. What were people's thoughts on Mordecai?

Mordecai_crop_north.jpg?w=543&h=361&q=75

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Omackeral wrote: »
    Speaking of Kane, Abyss etc. What were people's thoughts on Mordecai?

Mordecai_crop_north.jpg?w=543&h=361&q=75

I liked him, and Kevin Thorn as well. A shame his career in WWE was cut short though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Interesting enough character that was cut short. Hated the acutal wrestler tho and kevin thorn was awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I liked the idea of the Mordecai character much more than the execution or the man playing him.

Speaking of the Kane undertaker feud up until WM14. It was even better than I remembered. IMO why they won't do it again is because I don't think they could do it without making a balls of it. That's a sad state of affairs. Bray wyatt was the lastest character that they could have gone that way but from everything I've seen and read it just appears they have messed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd just love to see AJ Styles vs Undertaker for the title at the Rumble, for 2 simple reasons

It's a proper 50-50 match, it really could go either way

It's a match between 2 guys I equally like, there's no way I wouldn't be happy with the match if there's a clean finish

sky88 wrote: »
    Speaking of gallows it still amazes me he was only 24 when he was festus.
    Missed this earlier, jeez I had no idea he was that young. He looked older, probably due to being bald on top.

• Advertisement

Who was the lad in white with the Chinese writing on his front again ? Late 90s I'd say.

Hakushi?

Angron wrote: »
    Hakushi?
    That's the lad. Jesus I thought he was brilliant with the writing all over him and he looked like he'd belt the head off ya. Mad lad altogether.

Actually looking at the some of the trish and lita collection(thank god lita seems better on the mic now) and trish just looks unreal and it's the two ladies against Gail Kim and molly holly.

So random thought is you'd forget how good Gail Kim was in the ring. It all looked good. Also did molly get upgrades so to speak or was it not noticeable when she was mighty mollly ?

Actually looking at the some of the trish and lita collection(thank god lita seems better on the mic now) and trish just looks unreal and it's the two ladies against Gail Kim and molly holly.

So random thought is you'd forget how good Gail Kim was in the ring. It all looked good. Also did molly get upgrades so to speak or was it not noticeable when she was mighty mollly ?

Gail Kim was always good in ring just incredibly bland as a character in WWE. And from what I remember Molly was all natural. She was a proper stunner when in WCW in 99 and looked pretty much the same when debuted as Molly Holly the geeky cousin of Hardcore and Crash

Gail Kim was always good in ring just incredibly bland as a character in WWE. And from what I remember Molly was all natural. She was a proper stunner when in WCW in 99 and looked pretty much the same when debuted as Molly Holly the geeky cousin of Hardcore and Crash

Yeah to be honest I couldn't tell you what Gail's character was meant to be. I think she had a kind of bayley thing going with her with hardcore and crash and them seem to have covered her up. Also molly holly hugely underrated in ring wise.

Yeah to be honest I couldn't tell you what Gail's character was meant to be. I think she had a kind of bayley thing going with her with hardcore and crash and them seem to have covered her up. Also molly holly hugely underrated in ring wise.

Molly was the glue in that divison for a long time.

Random thought, after WM id love to see the Universal Champion have a mini tv feud with a midcarder similar to The Hurricane vs Rock or the Stone Cold vs Spike Dudley feuds

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What is Hurricane Helms doing these days? I reckon he'd get a decent pop for a return.

An File wrote: »
    What is Hurricane Helms doing these days? I reckon he'd get a decent pop for a return.

Wasn't he in a bad accident a few years ago ? I don't know if he is still wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Wasn't he in a bad accident a few years ago ? I don't know if he is still wrestling.

He's still wrestling in TNA, as for the accident, that was 5 years ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement