Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I watched Maria's YouShoot interview from 2010, it is crazy how divas were poorly treated back then in regards to match length, WM payday, merchandise sales, etc compared to now where they are well respected.

Interesting Youshoot, sadly her music career, her run in The Apprentice and her film career didn't come to much for her. Maria is one of those I feel got better when she left WWE, she's got hotter imo and she's a far better heel then the silly ditzy face WWE always had her as. Her Hubby Mike Bennett, isn't a bad wrestler either, I think a run in NXT and maybe on the main roster wouldn't be a bad idea if WWE want them.

To be fair, the women in NXT at the time did twist the arm of Vince and Co with all the great press they were getting, but i'm sure HHH did a lot of work trying to get them to be treated more serious. I think a lot of women during Maria's time were lucky to have jobs aside from the odd one here or there.

Her section on CM Punk, is very good and shows you why a load of women fall for the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the guys in the UK tournament have actually signed full time deals with the WWE ???

Is Nigel Mcguiness actually going to be on WWE TV weekly as an announcer. Loved his words on his wwe debut at the UK announcement ' joining WWE is the realisation of a childhood dream'

If I got a job with WWE I'd be emotional too lol

Meltzer said they are all signed, as most can't work with any British company that do PPV's and such, that's why most can't work with What Culture and such. I say whoever impresses the most will get signed and put on NXT for a full time run in the future.

At the moment it looks like he's only signed for the British one, but I'm sure they see him as a big part of the Announcement team going forward. I'm happy for Mcguiness, the documentary he made is one of the best I've seen and is depressing as hell if you haven't seen it. But he's deserving of it, still think Bryan's greatest feud is with this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wonder how many of the guys in the UK tournament have actually signed full time deals with the WWE ???

Is Nigel Mcguiness actually going to be on WWE TV weekly as an announcer. Loved his words on his wwe debut at the UK announcement ' joining WWE is the realisation of a childhood dream'

None have signed full-time deals. They're all on 10-date contracts (for varying figures) for one year getting paid per date. They have a no-compete in the contract but so far that only covers WOS and WCPW, though WWE have the power to nix any companies if they wish over the course of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How's that funny?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looper007 wrote: »
    Interesting Youshoot, sadly her music career, her run in The Apprentice and her film career didn't come to much for her.

I quite liked her revealing performance in the one movie I saw with her. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I quite liked her revealing performance in the one movie I saw with her. :pac:

and what movie would that be? :pac:

Can't be promoting stuff like that here and talking about her scene in the 2014 movie The Opposite Sex so I'll say nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Speaking of Youshoots, I was just browsing Cornette's greatest hits and came across his rant about Lucha Underground and Sexy Star winning the title. That was the first time I had heard about it. All I can say is....LOL.

Wouldn't have been so bad had they not made her drop it to "Johnny Mundo" so quickly. Happy anyway for Sexy Star that it's in the record books at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Was Joel Gertner a big thing in ECW? I find him far more cringe inducing than anything Russo ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Quintessential Studmuffin was super over with the ECW crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ya, the crassness takes a bit of getting used to watching him retrospectively, but I can only imagine he was SUPER OVER in the mid to late 90s. Gertner's quite good at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I always felt Gertner was a bit underrated as a colour commentator in the late ECW era, he toned down the smuttiness a bit. Was always surprised he wasn't picked up by WWE in some capacity afterwards he would have fit right in at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,933 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A random thought for me is that steel cage matches shouldn't have pin falls or submissions. It should be out the door or over the top.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Speaking of Youshoots, I was just browsing Cornette's greatest hits and came across his rant about Lucha Underground and Sexy Star winning the title. That was the first time I had heard about it. All I can say is....LOL.

Wouldn't have been so bad had they not made her drop it to "Johnny Mundo" so quickly. Happy anyway for Sexy Star that it's in the record books at least.
    Did you listen to his rant against Vince Russo ? It's about 45 minutes long. It's ****ing utter gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The fact he was super over is the bit that really gets to me. He's undoubtedly good at it and clearly is playing heel, but goddamn the whole thing isn't half pathetic. Can only imagine how much I'd hate ECW if I ever checked it out, most of the storylines sound wretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    A random thought for me is that steel cage matches shouldn't have pin falls or submissions. It should be out the door or over the top.

They should definitely be more clear about the rules and why they're making a match one way or the other. These days you barely even have commentary explain what the rules are and don't know fully until the match is over. The psychology can be awful too, it's like something that got lost between the cracks. I love Balor but I'll never forget the match he had with Joe that was supposed to be a grudge match to settle things once and for all, then a couple minutes in the babyface is scrambling to climb out quickly. It makes him look scared or trying to get a shortcut, especially if that aspect of the match hasn't been sold to us beforehand.

leggo wrote: »

They should definitely be more clear about the rules and why they're making a match one way or the other. These days you barely even have commentary explain what the rules are and don't know fully until the match is over. The psychology can be awful too, it's like something that got lost between the cracks. I love Balor but I'll never forget the match he had with Joe that was supposed to be a grudge match to settle things once and for all, then a couple minutes in the babyface is scrambling to climb out quickly. It makes him look scared or trying to get a shortcut, especially if that aspect of the match hasn't been sold to us beforehand.
    Well the reason I made the post was I was watching judgement day 2008 and randy Orton vs triple H and Orton made the ropes and the ref called for a break. Jerry lawyer the king asked a great question "why did he have to break the hold?"

I think that's just the refs acting instinctively like they do with counting during no DQ matches. First steel cage match I saw was a blue bar cage with Hogan and Bossman and I'm sure the only way to win was by escaping the cage.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think that's just the refs acting instinctively like they do with counting during no DQ matches. First steel cage match I saw was a blue bar cage with Hogan and Bossman and I'm sure the only way to win was by escaping the cage.

I know that and that's a fair point. It's just that the king asked a logical question. I don't know whether he thought of it himself or he was feed the line but he said it and it made perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Vaudevillains need to be teamed with Jack Gallagher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

The Vaudevillains need to be teamed with Jack Gallagher.

Yep. They should do what WCW did with Regal and Eaton where Regal thought Eaton how to become an English Nobleman except Jack teaches The Vaudevillains how to be "Extraordinary Gentlemen" like himself. And down the line a feud between a heel New Day and that group could actually be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Speaking of the Vaudevillons I didnt know that Aiden English is married to Eddie Guerreros daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Did you listen to his rant against Vince Russo ? It's about 45 minutes long. It's ****ing utter gold.

It is amazing how he will never end his beef with Russo.

I think people would pay money to see them have a sit down interview with each other.

Was watching a bit of Steve Austin's Skull Buster and was wondering has there ever been a WWE special of something like this? I don't mean Weakest Link or Fear Factor but a show that is all about strength and stamina?
    I guess they would be reluctant and would send the likes of Darren Young instead of Roman Reigns unless they warned everyone to let Roman win and make him look strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Just watching Wrestlemania 19 on the Network. Trish, Victoria and Jazz doing themselves justice but that other women's segment.....not enough cringes in the world to do the cringe justice.

As a sidenote, I did get a laugh at myself and my young fandom of Limpsfield Bizkit. Jaysus that crowd was rightfully dead. :our

Not a great Wrestlemania truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just watching Wrestlemania 19 on the Network. Trish, Victoria and Jazz doing themselves justice but that other women's segment.....not enough cringes in the world to do the cringe justice.

As a sidenote, I did get a laugh at myself and my young fandom of Limpsfield Bizkit. Jaysus that crowd was rightfully dead. :our

Angle v brock and shawn v jericho.... those two alone are brilliant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Was that the one where there was some catfight girls?

Shawn vs. Jericho was great, main thing I remember of Brock vs. Angle though was the effed up Shooting Star Press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Angron wrote: »
    Was that the one where there was some catfight girls?

Shawn vs. Jericho was great, main thing I remember of Brock vs. Angle though was the effed up Shooting Star Press.

Yea I believe it was the Miller Lite Catfight Girls. Think against Torrie and Stacy, but that may be wrong.

Shame thats the main thing you remember about Brock vs Kurt because it was a really good match up to that point. Its actually a real good Mania IMO. Shawn vs Jericho, Hardy vs Mysterio, Hogan vs Vince and Rock vs Austin are all really good or fun matches. Even HHH vs Booker is good until the awful finish

19 is held in very high regard on the list of wrstlemanias.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah it was quite a good Mania, I think it just got sort of overshadowed by the ones before and after it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement