Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    19 is held in very high regard on the list of wrstlemanias.

The Taker match, Mysterio/Hardy match, finish to the Triple H/Booker match and the time given to the sh1t I mentioned earlier made the first 90-120 mins or so quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

WrestleMania 19 was my first ever WM that I watched. I still have VHS tape that was recorded from Sky Sports that I got from a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

WrestleMania 19 was my first ever WM that I watched. I still have VHS tape that was recorded from Sky Sports that I got from a friend.

Wrestlemania 17 was my first WM PPV. I started watching wrestling in mid 2000 around Summerslam when The Rock, Triple H and Kurt Angle were going at it, along with the Hardy Boyz, Dudley Boyz and Edge & Christian. But WM 17 was my first Wrestlemania. Remember I asked my cousin to record the PPV on VHS because he had Sky Sports and I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Wrestlemania 18 was the first PPV I ever saw in full, the only reason I even remember that is because of Mighty Molly turning on Hurricane to become Hardcore Champion. I was 10 at the time so I couldn't figure out why the crowd were cheering for Hulk Hogan either. Nobody else in my family would watch wrestling so I can remember begging my dad to let me watch the repeat of it a few days after the event. Does anyone know if any of the PPV repeats on Box Office were free or if he actually bought it for me? I can remember watching the following SummerSlam & WM 19 repeats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Wrestlemania 18 was the first PPV I ever saw in full, the only reason I even remember that is because of Mighty Molly turning on Hurricane to become Hardcore Champion. I was 10 at the time so I couldn't figure out why the crowd were cheering for Hulk Hogan either. Nobody else in my family would watch wrestling so I can remember begging my dad to let me watch the repeat of it a few days after the event. Does anyone know if any of the PPV repeats on Box Office were free or if he actually bought it for me? I can remember watching the following SummerSlam & WM 19 repeats too.

I'm sure the replays were full whack as well! They definitely were not free!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, when I started getting in to wrestling, Hogan was in the midst of the NWO stuff, so I never understood why fans seemed to love him.

Still don't get it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    The Taker match, Mysterio/Hardy match, finish to the Triple H/Booker match and the time given to the sh1t I mentioned earlier made the first 90-120 mins or so quite difficult.

Im sorry, that Hardy v Mysterio match was extremely enjoyable. How was that difficult?

gerrybbadd wrote: »

It was the full price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    It was the full price

Haha so almost 15 years later I find out he bought me a few wrestling PPVs, that's pretty awesome. He actually watched it a little bit in recent years but if it didn't involve Lana he thought it was stupid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,933 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Wrestlemania wasn't on sky box office then.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was around 2005 I think that the PPVs moved to box office. The ones that Channel 4 dropped went to box office a bit earlier though.

WM 21 was the first Mania I remember on Box office anyway.

Channel 4 dropped ppvs in 2002 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Yeah it was around 2005 I think that the PPVs moved to box office. The ones that Channel 4 dropped went to box office a bit earlier though.

WM 21 was the first Mania I remember on Box office anyway.

Survivor Series 2004 was definitely on Sky Box Office, used to watch the ads all day leading up to the event

I was 9 but the auld fella wouldn't get it for me even as a birthday present, his excuse was since our telly didn't work at night we couldn't get it and stay up or tape it either since the telly doesn't work at night

I was a thick young wan, the amount of missed events and early mornings spending a half hour on wwe.com finding out results because it took that long to see them all with dial up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Survivor Series 2004 was definitely on Sky Box Office, used to watch the ads all day leading up to the event

I was 9 but the auld fella wouldn't get it for me even as a birthday present, his excuse was since our telly didn't work at night we couldn't get it and stay up or tape it either since the telly doesn't work at night

I was a thick young wan, the amount of missed events and early mornings spending a half hour on wwe.com finding out results because it took that long to see them all with dial up

Real fans watch the scrambled lines.

leggo wrote: »

Cablelinks mini boxes ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Looking so hard that I would swear I could see what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

LeeJM wrote: »
    Looking so hard that I would swear I could see what was happening.

I swear to god I could pick a scrambled Stone Cold Steve Austin out of a scrambled line-up. (Though I may need JR to say "Business is picking up" as an aid)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I still remember going nuts listening to the scrambled tv when ddp was revealed as the stalker

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i use to order the big events off Sky Box Office but never ordered the UK PPVs as they were so predictable

last event i ordered was Survivor Series 2013 before the Network arrived in 2014

I remember i ordered one PPV event a few years ago and the guy with UPC who i rang to order the event must of been starting his first day as he didnt process the PPV order so it went off after the 10 min preview :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: but i found an illegal stream after :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I used to ring sky and order the ppvs until one day my dad rang sky and started snapping and told them that under no circumstances was there ever to be wrestling ordered from him, I found a way around that think it went automated. He then startes taking the fuses out of the plug if he knew wrestling was coming on.

Before that we used to pass around tapes in school, I would rerecord them into another vhs then. I was first for like royal rumble 2000 in school and broke the tape. We counted there was 17 people after waiting in the tape. Got in a massive fight after school over it.

Wrestlemania 8 was the first wrestlemania I ever seen. Survivor series and great american bash 90 were the first two tapes I owed.

My dad hated wrestling so I went to my nans every friday to watch nitro and thunder.

My dad didnt get wrestling so.it was a struggle to feed my addiction and made me want to watch it more. Funny enough he introduced me to it as it was the new in ireland at the time.

My mam used to buy me all the hasbros, I still collect figures everynow and again. When I met my fiancee, she found out I collected figures, I was expecting a little chuckle, until she told me she used to collect.them to, got some awesome hasbros off her! She had a fcuking Akeem!!!! She gets some laugh when buying.figures for.me and telling the store assistant its for her 27 year old financial advisor fiancee. We go to wrestling events., watch documentries all the time, currently engrained in the monday night wars, and she is loving it wrestling has snd will slways be a big part of.my life.

Used to wrestle for IWW at one stage in college went drinking with Vito and Basham, smoked fahs with Balls Mahoney! Went back training in 2015, was loving it, life got in the way, split my head open playing football, when I eventually returned to wrestling I tore my bicep tendon, and realised ag the age of 27 my wrestling dream has died and made me appreciate the sport more. It really is.amazing, that millions.of people around the wprld can get fully engrossed in these storylines and how they are performed. Its unlike any other entertainment in the wprld. Ive gotten other friends, who thought it was.weird, really interested in it as I talk about it with such passion.

I love the way literally anything can.happen in.wrestling and it can.just be described by two.simple words "fcukin wrestling"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im sorry, that Hardy v Mysterio match was extremely enjoyable. How was that difficult?

At the time it felt like it only lasted 5 minutes. I checked it there and I wasn't far off, 5:37! I'm not sure how you can build any kind of rhythm for a title match in that space of time and indeed, it felt rushed and done before it began.

Also, I got the same feeling watching the tag match so wasn't surprised to see it only went on 9 minutes. Perhaps that's par for the course but for a title match containing 3 good teams, I would have thought 15 mins would have been better.

As always with these shows you can see where the waste is. Limp Bizkit getting at least as much airtime as the CW title match and the Tori/Stacey escapade being the two offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,372 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Kurt Angles WWE return is both a very happy occasion but a little sad one too

IMO he is one of the last WOW factors to happen to the WWE and the list of potential shock returns/debuts is shortening. Rey Mysterio,Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley (returning) /potentially Kenny Omega/young bucks arriving in WWE would be big deals but not as major as when the likes of Sting/Aj Styles/Joe/Bobby Roode/Finn Balor/Shinshuke etc

I would consider the returns of The Hardyz/CM Punk major if they were to happen someday

A Hogan return would be meh but big enough but there's no way he would actually be an in ring talent in his 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When was the last shocking return/debut? Seems everything gets leaked these days. Think Shane was the last surprise return and before that, I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    When was the last shocking return/debut? Seems everything gets leaked these days. Think Shane was the last surprise return and before that, I don't know

Braun Strowman springs to mind - everyone just went "oh sh**, who is that?!" completely bypassed NXT/developmental. Cool moment and a genuine surprise :)

fast forward to 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I remeber Sky Sports was unscrambled for New Year's Revolution 2005 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Kurt Angles WWE return is both a very happy occasion but a little sad one too

IMO he is one of the last WOW factors to happen to the WWE and the list of potential shock returns/debuts is shortening. Rey Mysterio,Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley (returning) /potentially Kenny Omega/young bucks arriving in WWEwould be big deals but not as major as when the likes of Sting/Aj Styles/Joe/Bobby Roode/Finn Balor/Shinshuke etc

I would consider the returns of The Hardyz/CM Punk major if they were to happen someday

A Hogan return would be meh but big enough but there's no way he would actually be an in ring talent in his 60's

You can definitely, definitely forget about that, The Young Bucks re-signed with New Japan/Ring Of Honor until 2019, Kenny Omega's just on hiatus, Matt's contract with TNA is almost up, and The Young Bucks accepted his challenge, so he'll more than likely re-sign with TNA, I mean it's the obvious thing, why would he go back to the WWE and surrender creative control of arguably THE best thing in wrestling that doesn't have WWE's sticky fingers all over it.

TL;DR WWE isn't the be all and end all of pro wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    WWE isn't the be all and end all of pro wrestling.

9eLwQ.gif

I jest :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im surprised at anyone resigning with ROH seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding it and never seems to be any buzz about it anymore.

i dont think we will ever see new bucks in wwe and omega i think we will but not till at least 2018

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

You can definitely, definitely forget about that, The Young Bucks re-signed with New Japan/Ring Of Honor until 2019, Kenny Omega's just on hiatus, Matt's contract with TNA is almost up, and The Young Bucks accepted his challenge, so he'll more than likely re-sign with TNA, I mean it's the obvious thing, why would he go back to the WWE and surrender creative control of arguably THE best thing in wrestling that doesn't have WWE's sticky fingers all over it.

To be honest, I haven't watched much of the Broken Matt Hardy stuff beyond a few videos on youtube, but it looks awful. I've assumed that a lot of the people raving on about have been doing it ironically, as if they were talking about how great The Room or Troll 2 are.

Why would he go back to WWE? Money and fame. No other company in wrestling can pay as much as WWE, or provide the same recognition as the company. Matt Hardy is 42 now, there are less and less big pay cheques in his future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

TL;DR WWE isn't the be all and end all of pro wrestling.
    Off topic, but I hate it when people phrase it that way. It should be "end all, be all". Not the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement