Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was just reading the HOF thread and I noticed that people were discussing whether or not Kurt Angle will be allowed to reference his TNA run in his acceptance speech.

Can anyone tell me how many times TNA have been mentioned on live wwe programming? I can recall two, The first being Low Ki dropping it into an off the cuff NXT promo. I'm sure he was scolded backstage for doing it.

The other was in 2011 during the Vince and Cena saga. Cena tells McMahon on the mic that if Vince fires him he'll have no trouble walking on to somebody else's TV show, Brother.

The brother bit obviously in reference to Hogan who was in TNA at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The "winning respect" post-match hand shake and everything of it's like has been done to death in wrestling at this stage(especially on the indie scene). Every. Single. Match.

Dunne and Smile did it at OTT on Saturday. It would have got me in the feels if I hadn't already seen the same one million times before.

Like so many spots (again, especially on the indie scene) it is bordering on complete cliche.

It is akin to your clinical as hell "Wrestlemania moment". Give us something genuine that doesn't feel utterly forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The "winning respect" post-match hand shake and everything of it's like has been done to death in wrestling at this stage(especially on the indie scene). Every. Single. Match.

Dunne and Smile did it at OTT on Saturday. It would have got me in the feels if I hadn't already seen the same one million times before.

Like so many spots (again, especially on the indie scene) it is bordering on complete cliche.

It is akin to your clinical as hell "Wrestlemania moment". Give us something genuine that doesn't feel utterly forced.

But to the people doing the spot it is 99% of the time genuine and emotional for them.

Smile and Dunne did it at OTT as it was likely Petes last match in OTT in front of fans that turned Pete from the biggest heel to our most beloved face. It was Ryan Smile FINALLY winning the big one in OTT and it was a rematch of the first ever match in OTT

I can maybe understand Dunne/Smile given the situation.

Mark Haskins and Mandrews did it earlier in the night too. Scrull fawned over Riddle after their match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can't remember, but do the cruiserweights still shake hands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Was thinking there lately about wrestlers that have worn gum shields. These are the few that I can think of, any others?

Bobby Fish,
    Pete Dunne,
    Shinsuke Nakamura,
    Kurt Angle,
    Ken Shamrock.
    Matt Riddle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Was thinking there lately about wrestlers that have worn gum shields. These are the few that I can think of, any others?

Bobby Fish,
    Pete Dunne,
    Shinsuke Nakamura,
    Kurt Angle,
    Ken Shamrock.
    Matt Riddle.
    I know Neville did, at least for a time down in NXT. Togi Makabe over in Japan wears one, I feel like Akira Tozawa wears one too. A fair few Japanese wrestlers seem to wear them, probably as a feature of "strong style" over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

How does Aj styles make everything look good. He's a smooth as silk in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How does Aj styles make everything look good. He's a smooth as silk in the ring.

The secret is his smooth as silk hair. The Samson Effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ShagNastii wrote: »

I loved HBK and Y2J doing thats pot at Mania 19 only for Jericho to go heel again. Great stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I loved HBK and Y2J doing thats pot at Mania 19 only for Jericho to go heel again. Great stuff

Such an underrated great moment. Jericho could have been a beloved face with Shawns respect, but nope a kick to the balls and Jericho is still a d*ckhead heel. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jericho was visible emotional. He wrestled the match of his career, on a huge stage against his boyhood hero. He was sobbing like a girl before turning and his face of disgust as Michaels fell to his knees was priceless. Great stuff all round

I was listening to a Renee Dupree interview recently and his stories about Bubba Ray Dudley are terrible.

He claims that Bubba gave him 6 concussions throughout his career, none of them accidental. He tells stories of how bubba would call a backdrop and then kick his opponent in the head instead.

He also claims that Chris Nowinski retired off the back of what Dudley did to him. (multiple concussions)

Himself and his partner Sylvain Grenier finally got their own back in 2005. Dudley legitimately punched Grenier in the face during a match, when they confronted him backstage he punched him again. Grenier was very close to Pat Patterson and went to him to complain. Patterson told him that management were aware of what was going on and that the Dudleys were going to be history once their contracts ended later that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I was listening to a Renee Dupree interview recently and his stories about Bubba Ray Dudley are terrible.

He claims that Bubba gave him 6 concussions throughout his career, none of them accidental. He tells stories of how bubba would call a backdrop and then kick his opponent in the head instead.

He also claims that Chris Nowinski retired off the back of what Dudley did to him. (multiple concussions)

Himself and his partner Sylvain Grenier finally got their own back in 2005. Dudley legitimately punched Grenier in the face during a match, when they confronted him backstage he punched him again. Grenier was very close to Pat Patterson and went to him to complain. Patterson told him that management were aware of what was going on and that the Dudleys were going to be history once their contracts ended later that year.

Should check out his documentary Head Games, one of the best documentaries I've seen lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Dupree talks a lot to be fair.

6 concussions?!!

*looks at Renee Dupree's tattoos*

Ahhhh now I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Whenever I watch fight scenes in movies, it's generally WAYYYYYY faker than wrestling. You'd think it'd be the other way around since they get to shoot & re-shoot and block out camera shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tranquilo Assen na yo is the best catchphrase in wrestling. Naito delivers it perfectly.

Was just listening to Bret Hart talk about the WWF road schedule in the 80s.

Holy crap it was unbelievable. They had an A tour, B tour and C tour, touring every day of the year. Guys would be expected to do 4-5 weeks straight and then be taken off the schedule and go home for 3-4 days. If you wanted to you could stay out indefinitely, Hart said his record during this period was 70 days straight on the road. It's no wonder so many got into drugs and alcohol abuse.

It got revised in the early 90s. 14 days on, 3 days off, 3days on, 3 days off and repeat.

These days it's still pretty brutal, averaging 4, 5 days per week on the road. When they tour overseas they can do 14 days straight. They get about five days off after these tours as no house shows are scheduled the week after an international tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Clegg wrote: »
    Tranquilo Assen na yo is the best catchphrase in wrestling. Naito delivers it perfectly.

Without doubt, the entire post match ramble where he names out each member of the group with that distinctive Naito delivery is pure gold. LIJ are the best faction in wrestling.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It got revised in the early 90s. 14 days on, 3 days off, 3days on, 3 days off and repeat.

These days it's still pretty brutal, averaging 4, 5 days per week on the road. When they tour overseas they can do 14 days straight. They get about five days off after these tours as no house shows are scheduled the week after an international tour.

That's unreal. The legacy of the circus/carnival tradition in the industry. Tough lifestyle!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's still crazy really even today.

You finish your rotation in say Portland Oregon at 10pm after a show and you have 3 days off but live in Orlando Florida you catch a late flight home arrive hone early morning if you can stay awake do what you need to do pay bills etc if you don't go straight to bed that's really one day of your 3 off lost.

Day two relax have a day off.

Day three do whatever needs to be done and pack for an early flight the next morning to San Diego to be at the arena for 3/4pm for the start of you next rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,368 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's still crazy really even today.

You finish your rotation in say Portland Oregon at 10pm after a show and you have 3 days off but live in Orlando Florida you catch a late flight home arrive hone early morning if you can stay awake do what you need to do pay bills etc if you don't go straight to bed that's really one day of your 3 off lost.

Day two relax have a day off.

Day three do whatever needs to be done and pack for an early flight the next morning to San Diego to be at the arena for 3/4pm for the start of you next rotation.

you could be only doing 15 mins max work in the ring per night but count training/gym work/rehersals etc into that too

I know this is often talked about but I would be in favour of an 'off season' in the WWE. Lets say the two months following Mania. Just to give the talent that light at the end of the tunnel, to let them heal up any niggling injuries and go sit on a beach for a couple of worry free weeks.

It will obviously never happen though as too much money is at stake, between the live tour circuits and the television contracts.

It would actually do the writers the world of good also, to get a prolonged break. I think there's a definite issue with burnout on the creative side.

They would come back refreshed and reinvigorated and the product would surely improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

The more they expand into divisions such as the cruisers and UK lads, the idea of an off season for the main roster surely becomes a bit more than a pipe dream?

A significant ease in schedule at least if rumours are to be believed about cruiserweight only house shows.

Basically the more they expand the brand the less it becomes all about 1 or 2 people pulling in the crowds when touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont think therell ever be an off season for wwe.

i think the closet they would come to one is by just having tv but no house shows and even though thats a huge long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I know this is often talked about but I would be in favour of an 'off season' in the WWE. Lets say the two months following Mania. Just to give the talent that light at the end of the tunnel, to let them heal up any niggling injuries and go sit on a beach for a couple of worry free weeks.

It will obviously never happen though as too much money is at stake, between the live tour circuits and the television contracts.

Don't know what YouTube channel I saw it on but they talked about an off season but suggested something like the roster could be divided into four(A,B,C,D) and you give roster A time off and that leaves you with the other three to use and when A comes back you give B time off etc etc and the only time all four rosters are together is for Wresltemania season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was listening to a Youtube video of all Kane's themes throughout the years. Imo his themes were all good up to the Slow Chemical one, but then after that I think they declined.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement