Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Just watched the 96 rumble match last night, it's amazing to think that the ringmaster, Isaac Yankem and blue blood Hensley would go on to be the huge superstars they are in like a year...

By the way what a terrible rumble match filled with silly entrants , Samoan squat team, omari, dory funk, Doug Gilbert just didn't make sense....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

WWF was on its arse financially and creatively back then,makes perfect sense.Horrible Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ivan Cruimh Walton

Apparently they're gonna give Ultimate Warrior a live mic at his induction into the hall of fame.

I'd love to see him shooting on Vince, Hogan and the current muck in the WWE roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

He'd get cut instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm sure he has lots of homophobic webcam rants you could see. He might delete them soon as Warrior, WWE (and Hogan if inducts) will all pretend to like each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Watching a few of the more recent returns, nothing cuts the legs out from underneath a pop than Justin ****ing Roberts announcing it before the music hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Ivan Cruimh Walton

He'd get cut instantly

Yeah some dirt sheet writer would be there covering what he said anyway.

It'd be classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

D.Q wrote: »
    Watching a few of the more recent returns, nothing cuts the legs out from underneath a pop than Justin ****ing Roberts announcing it before the music hits.

Brock returning in 2012 is still the biggest one I remember of the last few years.

14 years ago today Royal Rumble 2000 took place :eek:

I remember being so pissed off that it was on channel 4 instead of Sky :P Great for people without Sky though.

If I remember correctly as well it was on tape delay (nearly positive the Channel 4 shows would come on at 1.50 AM).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

14 years ago today Royal Rumble 2000 took place :eek:

I remember being so pissed off that it was on channel 4 instead of Sky :P Great for people without Sky though.

If I remember correctly as well it was on tape delay (nearly positive the Channel 4 shows would come on at 1.50 AM).

It was the first PPV on C4 iirc, was great for me beacuse i hadnt got sky but the ad breaks ruined it. Would have rathered watch it the next day on VHS borrowed from a lad from school.

Mae Young was censored on the PPV as well. Thank God

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

NXT's Big Cass had a good line on Aiden English. "You've taken cheap shot after cheap shot after cheap shot, I'm surprised you didn't go home with the ugly girl from the party."

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

I'm watching a bit of TNA on a US stream right now and they have adverts for WWE Royal rumble ppv going on through the ads. Does this not seem to be the kind of thing that would be a big no-no for TNA? I guess not.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Hematocyte wrote: »
    I'm watching a bit of TNA on a US stream right now and they have adverts for WWE Royal rumble ppv going on through the ads. Does this not seem to be the kind of thing that would be a big no-no for TNA? I guess not.

They don't control the ad content during their show. WWE and WCW used to do this to eachother during the Monday Night War

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hematocyte wrote: »

It's been happening for a while. In fairness, if you know about TNA, you know about WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Would it nor be counter productive for the networks to run advertisements for another wrestling company? Maybe not in today's market as TNA and WWE don't broadcast shows head to head but during the Monday Night War it would have made no sense. WCW an Turner want the highest rating and thus the most valuable advertising slots yet allow WWF ads, potentially losing viewers......

Whosthis wrote: »
    Would it nor be counter productive for the networks to run advertisements for another wrestling company? Maybe not in today's market as TNA and WWE don't broadcast shows head to head but during the Monday Night War it would have made no sense. WCW an Turner want the highest rating and thus the most valuable advertising slots yet allow WWF ads, potentially losing viewers......

WCW couldnt really complain and vice versa. They needed the network in order to compete. If they complained, then suddenly they could be kicked off or moved to another time slot.

My point is that it would also have been harmful to the network. It would be in each networks best interest to have the highest rated show. Assuming the network controls the advertising then running advertising for a rival promotion on a rival network when the shows were going head to head seems a bit absurd.

Whosthis wrote: »
    My point is that it would also have been harmful to the network. It would be in each networks best interest to have the highest rated show. Assuming the network controls the advertising then running advertising for a rival promotion on a rival network when the shows were going head to head seems a bit absurd.

They would have gotten a nice pay cheque for running those adverts. The price was likely inflated too given the time they wanted it airing.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    They would have gotten a nice pay cheque for running those adverts. The price was likely inflated too given the time they wanted it airing.

True, there was no doubt some super premium charge. Even given the short term financial gain it still seems to me a little like shooting yourself in the foot with the potential long term loss of viewers.

Just to continue on from that, does anybody know the timeframe of when these ads ran? Was at the height of the Monday Night War or when WCW was obviously in decline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I have come to the perfectly reasonable conclusion that biebers arrest is a work and he is a surprise entrant in the rumble. You know Vince will do anything to swerve us.

Lol. Vince couldn't snare Britney when she was a trainwreck & past it! If he has a gf that's on hard times, maybe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

When he's not playing some character and constantly shilling something Michael Cole is actually a hell of an announcer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

When he's not playing some character and constantly shilling something Michael Cole is actually a hell of an announcer.

when you consider that 90% of what he hears through his headset is probably "promote the AP / Network" "use the word Twerking" "tell the fans whats trending" etc I'd say he is probably far better than he ever gets credit for being

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I've just imagined a cool situation. Cena, heel or not, preferably heel, cuts a promo about how he's the best nobody can stop him etc. Asks for a challenege from the back. None comes. And out of nowhere comes Kurt Angle. Almost the same way Cena debuted, with the roles reversed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Came across this on Twitter, an uncanny resemblance to D.Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

After watching the quite frankly god awful TNA first episode I have say Mike Tenay has barely aged a day since. Borash was at his PJ & Duncan phase to his current Ant & Dec look though.

RE:Michael Cole, he's a very smooth play by play guy and a clear presenter but he has absolutely no credibility. Any aul shíte with Khali he's laughing his arse off and everything's the greatest match of all time, combine that with hocking the App and #WhatHashtagIsThisSegment, I automatically disregard everything he has to say. It's Vince's fault, but I think he's an empty shell, a mindless shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I miss when the commentators used to actually call the match, and the moves, in the ring. Rather than"telling stories" like they are told to do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I miss when the commentators used to actually call the match, and the moves, in the ring. Rather than"telling stories" like they are told to do now.

And actually use the names of the moves, not just call them "moves". I was watching some classic ppvs and matches during the week and god Heenan was on fire back in his day, and so was Jerry Lawler when he rooted for heels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement