Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Old PPVs used to be shown on The Super Channel (NBC Super Chanel/NBC Europe) back in the late 80's and early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

What do you guys think the best set of all time is? I genuinely don't think I can come up with an answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Of all time I don't know but I loved the Royal Rumble 2000 one in MSG. The aisle was done up like a back alley, which looked great for the HHH vs Cactus Jack Street Fight because it literally looked like a street! Add to that the NYC Taxi Cab over the entrance and you've a good gritty set.

vlcsnap-2082125_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

I dunno whether this was just because this was the first wrestlemania I watched live but Wrestlemania 24 will always have a special place in my heart dying to see what they do to the citrus bowl this year

• Registered Users Posts: 39,923 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The backlash set with the swinging blades always looked class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Omackeral wrote: »
    Of all time I don't know but I loved the Royal Rumble 2000 one in MSG. The aisle was done up like a back alley, which looked great for the HHH vs Cactus Jack Street Fight because it literally looked like a street! Add to that the NYC Taxi Cab over the entrance and you've a good gritty set.

vlcsnap-2082125_thumb%25255B1%25255D.png?imgmax=800

That's my favourite too by a mile.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Is 2000 the one where Kaientai kept coming out during the Rumble, only to get thrown out again really quickly, until Taka took a bad bump and knocked himself silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Omackeral wrote: »

It's a pity they don't use MSG for ppv's anymore, Summerslam 98 was a good simple set with the gates and lights behind. It's a pity NXT don't use it for a Takerover special.

The year alone had some great wrasslin with Austin vs HBK, Austin vs Undertaker, that Hell in a Cell, DX vs Nation of Domination and the Rock selling out to Vince at Deadly Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

It's a pity they don't use MSG for ppv's anymore, Summerslam 98 was a good simple set with the gates and lights behind. It's a pity NXT don't use it for a Takerover special.

The year alone had some great wrasslin with Austin vs HBK, Austin vs Undertaker, that Hell in a Cell, DX vs Nation of Domination and the Rock selling out to Vince at Deadly Games.
    It was a goddamn shame that it wasn't used for 'Mania XXX. I mean, their 30th show, and they didn't have it play at the arena that started it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

It was a goddamn shame that it wasn't used for 'Mania XXX. I mean, their 30th show, and they didn't have it play at the arena that started it all.

Garden only holds between 15,000 to 20,000 right? Wouldn't be nowhere big enough anymore for show like Wrestlemania. Summerslam definitely as the Barclay Center is smaller than MSG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Yeah they held it in a building that got like 4 times the crowd. What were they thinking?
    Mania is a stadium show & if anything they were too slow making that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

was just thinking when i was seeing the paige movie stuff with aj lee. i know she was a big star but when i think back she really was never that special yes she had a different look then all the divas but she wasnt that good in the ring epecally compared to the women now and even on the indies.

i really think she got lucky to come around now as i dont think she would be anywere near the top level of women now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Women's wrestling was an afterthought during that time. WWE was still more about Divas than female wrestlers. Just look who they had on the roster at the time. The Bella's (when Nikki was awful), Kelly Kelly, Eve Torres etc. All terrible wrestlers.

AJ Lee was competent which was a big step up on her contemporaries. Although they had Gail Kim at the time and did SFA with her which is an absolute crime. I absolutely agree that AJ was more of a star due to her character work and association with Bryan, Ziggler, Punk etc though. Being women's champ at the time wasn't worth a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,621 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AJ was probably more of an anti Diva than Paige ever was.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The backlash set with the swinging blades always looked class.

Good call

giKdSy3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Possible unpopular opinion here but I would prefer watch AJ Lee than any of the women on the main roster now; give me great character work with decent wrestling ability over good-great wrestling ability and an average character (this is why I love The Miz). But in saying that, I would of course much prefer her be in the women's division now as opposed to a few years ago - outside of AJ there wasn't one interesting 'diva' and in-ring they were pretty rubbish too. I mean look at who AJ actually defended her title against: Kaitlyn, Brie Bella, funkadactyls Naomi & Cameron, Natalya and the Mania match involving the entire division which included illustrious names like Rosa Mendes & Aksana. Paige was the first decent attempt at something on the main roster (she had a good match with Bayley on NXT) but was hampered by AJ leaving for months and then the CM Punk stuff. But even after all of that AJ was still over.

As a division the women are much better now; Becky, Charlotte, Bayley & Sasha obviously but Nikki has improved loads, Naomi has a much better gimmick, Mickie James is back and Alexa Bliss has imo done a great job since being called up and along with Becky would be my favourite on the roster. So while I do like the division and the matches are much much better I still miss AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Had to jump on here and defend Eve Torres who someone besmirched on the last page. She was grand in the ring. A lot better than she had any right to be considering she was a Diva Search winner and absolutely nothing was expected of her. She was pretty much the first woman in the last few years to be featured in the main event with the John Cena / Zack Ryder / Kane storyline and heel turn. I think that was a few months before AJ Lee started getting big storylines.

There was plenty of useless Divas from that time period (Rosa) but Eve wasn't one of them

Angron wrote: »
    Is 2000 the one where Kaientai kept coming out during the Rumble, only to get thrown out again really quickly, until Taka took a bad bump and knocked himself silly?
    Yes taka the poor Chinese chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,364 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder will CM Punk eventually be do a slow WWE return. Start off with being a headline character for a WWE 2k game, maybe a new DVD (his last WWE doc was pretty good) and finally a Wrestlemania match ???

Money talks and if himself, triple h and Vince can put there differences aside than its possible. We thought we would never see Bret Hart return and he did

Imagine punk vs guys like Shinsuke, Styles, Owens and Finn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i dont think hes ever going to return as a wrestler. i think hell eventually return for a hall of fame in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Punk seems to be the most stubborn wrestler I've seen, but if Bret can make amends, he can too. I don't think he'll ever get over being fired on his wedding day - that was incredibly petty and vindictive. Vince & H can never take that back. I suppose if he gets divorced, he'll hold it in much less regard and be open to a return (like Lawler coming back to WWF in 2001, after initially leaving over Kat being fired, he reconsidered his stance when they divorced)

He won his (initial) lawsuit, got paid everything he was owed and then some, what's described as "f**k you money" to never have to go back. He's handled his money really well and lives pretty cheaply.

Perhaps if AJ Lee returned, he'd soften on the idea (as he'd be backstage with her, might get to talking). This kind of book deal is one of the best chances for it, if it were for Punk's impending court hearing with WWE in 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just watching the RAW where Triple H returns from his first quad injury. Has there ever been a reception like that since? It is just an amazing reaction

Necrominus wrote: »
    Just watching the RAW where Triple H returns from his first quad injury. Has there ever been a reception like that since? It is just an amazing reaction
    The pop he got you mean ? No not many have got that reaction to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The Rock in 2011 definitely came close but I still think Triple H had it beat.

I think only CM Punk returning unexpectedly could ever top it, and even then it's no certainty.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The Rock in 2011 definitely came close but I still think Triple H had it beat.

I think only CM Punk returning unexpectedly could ever top it, and even then it's no certainty.
    Yeah when punk held the actual title up the crowd pop was very noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

CM Punk's entrance at Money in the Bank 2011 got a huge pop too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I must have a look at the three mentioned above. Every time I see that clip the pop for Triple H gives me goosebumps.

Funny to think that Hogan Hall and Nash came back about six weeks later after much longer away (I know it's different and HHH's injury was pretty bad) and didn't receive a similar reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Lesnar's return in 2012 had the best pop imo, it was a sustained one like HHH but when his music hits you can hear the roar

Daniel Bryan's reception the night after Mania 30 is my favourite crowd reaction tough, just such a happy time

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I just don't like the modern day women's wrestling in the WWE.

They lack elite athleticism, work at a slow pace and frequently botch.

Tbh I change the channel as soon as Flair or that heavily Dub accented woman appear. I find the way that WWE push it on the viewers to be totally cringeworthy.

Like seriously, headling a PPV with such crap.

When I want to experience proper womens wrestling, I'll watch Japan from the 90s.

• Advertisement

Cool, just don't spill your craft beer when you're watching it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement