Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I know Batista's ring name is very close to his real name (Bautista), and both Hardys use their real names.

One name that stands out as a great ring name is Richard Blood, aka Ricky Steamboat. Probably wouldn't have worked with the character he had though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ric Flair's real name is close to his ring name.

Jake Hager is Jack Thwagger.

Michael Cole, he's Michael Coulthard.

Eddie Fatu sounds pretty cool, Umanga

Jay Reso, Chrstian

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Umanga

Commissioner Regal, is that you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

An File wrote: »
    Commissioner Regal, is that you? :D

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Speaking of names, why do they often shorten the names of wrestlers by either dropping their first or last name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just watching the WWF title match from royal rumble 1999. This is one of the moments in WWE that I find uncomfortable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Speaking of names, why do they often shorten the names of wrestlers by either dropping their first or last name?

Copyright I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fun thing on r/squaredcircle where someone is doing a forgotten wrestlers thing every day for a month. Remember Jackson Andrews or Bam Neely?

Two of the most CAW looking wrestlers WWE ever had.

https://instagram.com/p/BRMUu9cDeUX/

Look at Becky there being funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just watching the WWF title match from royal rumble 1999. This is one of the moments in WWE that I find uncomfortable to watch.

Listened to the Bruce Pritchard podcast on Beyond the Mat and was reminded of it. Haven't seen it in years but it is a tough watch indeed. Bruce points out that Mick kept feeding to Rock which I guess led him to think it was OK to continue hitting beyond the agreed five shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,620 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is Beyond the Mat the thing that changed the wrestling business more than anything else it opened up kayfabe to the general audience more than anything before it.

Actually I'd add Wrestling with Shadows to it as well as the two doc's that changed wrestling.

Is Beyond the Mat the thing that changed the wrestling business more than anything else it opened up kayfabe to the general audience more than anything before it.

Actually I'd add Wrestling with Shadows to it as well as the two doc's that changed wrestling.
    I think beyond the Mat showed the less then rosey side of pro wrestling. Wrestling with shadows showed the inner workings of the business.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://instagram.com/p/BRMUu9cDeUX/

Look at Becky there being funny.

I like Becky, but just looking at that clip (in a mildly inebriated state granted) it's hard to see who the actual person is behind all the make up and hair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Don't know what it changed but it sure opened the eyes of a certain generation of fan during the hottest period of wrestling. Louis Theroux did a documentary around the same time as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

That Louie Theroux Weird Weekends is one of my favourite wrestling-related things. His ordeal at the Powerplant is hysterical.

The late 90s also saw another documentary on wrestling, with that Secrets of Pro Wrestling Exposed thing,

Additionally, there had been a similar thing made in 1987. Much more surprising as Kayfabe was much stronger, then. OK, the fakery of wrestling had been an open secret for decades, but not openly talked about much in the 80s.

And the 80s one sounds more knowledgeable about wrestling terminology than the 90s one, using terms like 'bump' and 'being light'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Watching a fan-made Prince Devitt tron on YouTube (because I bloody loved his Real Rock N' Rolla theme) anyone else miss how so achingly cool he was then? Just made me think about how hot he was when it was announced he was on his way to WWE and how he cooled off a fair amount since. In hindsight, maybe the Demon thing was not the right way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Cooled off ?? Really ? World Champion , Got injured ....hasn't come back since said injury hardly cooled off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He was pushed as hard as he could be. He beat reigns clean on his first night on raw no one is doing that. First ever universal champion.

The guy is as hot as he could be when he comes back.

On another note is anyone generally looking forward to taker/reigns. Taker doesn't look in great shape and Roman is not the man to pull a good match out of taker. Feel it's a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

sky88 wrote: »
    He was pushed as hard as he could be. He beat reigns clean on his first night on raw no one is doing that. First ever universal champion.

On another note is anyone generally looking forward to taker/reigns. Taker doesn't look in great shape and Roman is not the man to pull a good match out of taker. Feel it's a waste.

To be fair to AIG he did get a little bit stale in NXT after his initial impact. They probably kept him down there a bit too long. The main roster push was welcome hopefully they still have big plans for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,876 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

sky88 wrote: »

Unless Reigns turns full blown heel and retires Taker then I gotta agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The Demon is a major reason why they pushed Finn on the main roster and in NXT. He was engaging the audience in a face role.

He tweaked his persona near the end to try and give it more edge and hint back to what he was doing in Japan only because he was in NXT so long.

His real shooter and further expansion to Bullet Club wouldn't be as special in WWE and wouldn't get him to the top of the card the way the Demon persona did. The demon connected better with what WWE needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Where has Summer Rae gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,082 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Raw and Smackdown are like the episode of Friends where Joey/Chandler and Rachel/Monica are having 2 separate parties with everyone sneaking out of one to get to the other. I'd say guys on Raw are probably looking to get on to Smackdown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is there anyone in the WWE right now that if they were give the freedom to create could kick start a new boom that could match the last great era of the late 90's early 00's

How many of today's wrestlers really have the kind of charisma and talent of Rock, Foley, Austin, Angle, Edge & Christian, The Hardy's or a Lita and Trish.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns - It's just screaming for a Reigns heel turn, I mean no-one in the stadium is gonna boo The Undertaker. Lesnar ended The Streak, why not have Roman be the guy to put Taker down forever..

They really are missing a trick here with Roman and turning him heel, but alas they're so stubborn on keeping him face..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/840407093349888000

Actually awesome to see him back. Not sure how he'd fit into Wrestlemania with Rollins tied up in a storyline and the part timers fighting for the belt but I hope he gets in there somehow (except the battle royal, that's a waste of time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Finn clearly been scoffing the pies whilst he was off...

• Advertisement

The dad was great in the second video take that New Day headband off you for the picture with Finn :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement