Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Strikes me as about as old school as they come. He'd never do the interview people would be looking for, talking about who's good to work with, who's not etc. But I'd say he'll have the chats with Austin about hunting, MMA etc one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sure didn't the undertaker do an interview for trips documentary a few years back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

leggo wrote: »
    Strikes me as about as old school as they come. He'd never do the interview people would be looking for, talking about who's good to work with, who's not etc. But I'd say he'll have the chats with Austin about hunting, MMA etc one day.

I don't think it's so much the old-school thing, which is definitely plays a part, so much as he lives a life very separate to wrestling, when he's not doing it. He's not the sort who, when he retires, needs to keep on talking about wrestling in order to maintain a connection to it. That's where he differs from the Austins and Flairs of the world.

briany wrote: »
    I don't think it's so much the old-school thing, which is definitely plays a part, so much as he lives a life very separate to wrestling, when he's not doing it. He's not the sort who, when he retires, needs to keep on talking about wrestling in order to maintain a connection to it. That's where he differs from the Austins and Flairs of the world.

Well it's been a problem for wrestlers for years about them not being able to adapt when the lights aren't on them. I agree that it appears that the man behind the undertaker has found that balance.

I don't think Austin needs to talk about wrestling. He seems very happy post wrestling career and talks about it because he wasn't to now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it's been a problem for wrestlers for years about them not being able to adapt when the lights aren't on them. I agree that it appears that the man behind the undertaker has found that balance.

I don't think Austin needs to talk about wrestling. He seems very happy post wrestling career and talks about it because he wasn't to now.

Austin's definitely adjusted, but even though he had about as successful a career as you could wish for, I get the feeling that the injuries that cut his career short left him with a sense of unfinished business, too. I wonder if that's what continues to make him, I don't want to say live vicariously through the wrestlers of today, but certainly keep an eye on what's going on and talk about his feelings on the product.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Austin's definitely adjusted, but even though he had about as successful a career as you could wish for, I get the feeling that the injuries that cut his career short left him with a sense of unfinished business, too. I wonder if that's what continues to make him, I don't want to say live vicariously through the wrestlers of today, but certainly keep an eye on what's going on and talk about his feelings on the product.
    Well I'm sure he'd have liked to have gone out on his terms but once he was injured at summerslam and he had the surgery, just like edge his time was limited.

It's why I think Shawn Michaels seems so content to stay retired now. He got to come back and go out on his terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Club have such a natural comedic sense

This clip of Gallows doing his Fink impression gets me every time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And yet they fell flat on their faces against the New Day. :o

And yet they fell flat on their faces against the New Day. :o

In WWE, it seems easier to get over as a comedy act. At the same time, there's a glass ceiling for comedy guys. New Day's great and all, but you wonder if someone like Big E feels like he could have a top run. Only 'comedy' guy who's made to the top in the modern era was Kurt Angle, back when he was acting like the white version of Carlton Banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder who will get released from the WWE if they do the post mania releases ???
    I think

R Truth (had a few good years but past it now)
    Fandango
    Summer Rae
    The Ancesion
    Shining Stars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder who will get released from the WWE if they do the post mania releases ???
    I think

R Truth (had a few good years but past it now)
    Fandango
    Summer Rae
    The Ancesion
    Shining Stars

Chett Chetterfield is going nowhere. I like Summer so hope she doesn't but she's probably one of the favourites to be let go.

Darren Young is probably another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In WWE, it seems easier to get over as a comedy act. At the same time, there's a glass ceiling for comedy guys. New Day's great and all, but you wonder if someone like Big E feels like he could have a top run. Only 'comedy' guy who's made to the top in the modern era was Kurt Angle, back when he was acting like the white version of Carlton Banks.

Now that I think of it, how would the New Day members be booked if they were split up? I don't think any member could get over with a serious gimmick.

Now that I think of it, how would the New Day members be booked if they were split up? I don't think any member could get over with a serious gimmick.

I hope they don't go with a tough guy persona for Big E similar to Mark Henry's run a few years ago, Kofi be fine going to back too pre new date. I'd worry for Xavier as I don't think he would be good as a singles star

Can see Xavier and Enzo being demoted to commentators as that would suite them more when there stable days are over

Darren young be paired with Bob Backland didn't really work and could spell the end of Darren's WWE days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Summer rae needs to stay.

I demand it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Now I want to see Kurt dancing to Tom Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,620 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Summer Rae teasing she's not in the Superstar Shake up poster.

https://twitter.com/RealSummerWWE/status/849493051160625152

I can't see Summer Rae being Future Endeavored.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Watching a random Saturday Nights Main Event from 1985 i think it is. Anyways watching a horrible match with Volkoff and Corporal Kirchner and to my surprise as the match ends I realise the referree appears to be a very young Deano Malenko!

First thing is a feud between the three of them to see who rocks more. Does Big....E rock? Does Ko...fi rock? Woods doesn't have a two syllable first or second name, but he could could blast the other two with his trombone. He could also talk about his trombone in euphemistic terms, with a wink and a nod to the audience. Smark crowds might eat it up.

looks like were getting a Kevin Owens documentary and DVD/Blu Ray release in early July

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seen it mentioned on Reddit, anyone think Daniel Cormier could do a WWE run? Seems to be a massive WWE fan and although not as much of a monster as Brock, still has that legit-ness that WWE would probably love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

I was watching some old Torrie Wilson videos on YouTube and she was involved in some amazing plots and promos.
    1. When Stone Cold called her out to question her allegiance to the Alliance before Tajiri and Kurt Angle tried to stop him. Stone Cold ended up doing a piledriver to Angle on the exposed floor.
    2. When Big Show chokeslammed Angle off the balcony.
    3. Ric Flair and Santino promos and plot.

She was entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Didn't Dawn Marie marry her father and give him a heart attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

And incredibly gorgeous. She's one of my all time favourites. When it comes to wrestling, she sure had a nice body

James fcuking Ellsworth has merchandise for sale on shop WWE but Braun Strowman doesn't have anything not even one t-shirt nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

James fcuking Ellsworth has merchandise for sale on shop WWE but Braun Strowman doesn't have anything not even one t-shirt nothing at all.

Thats WWE :) To be fair James probably needs the merch sales more and from what i read the talent gets very little income from WWE merch anyway

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Thats WWE :) To be fair James probably needs the merch sales more and from what i read the talent gets very little income from WWE merch anyway

I'm delighted for Ellsworth and hope he makes a ton of money.

It's more Strowman might just be to most over guy in the company yet has no merchandise.

Someone posted here recently that they were at a show and most of the merchandise on show at the stalls were for Regins and you had to ask for others.

As you say it may not be about income but I wonder is it another way for Vince to push Regins maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It's more Strowman might just be to most over guy in the company yet has no merchandise.

Someone posted here recently that they were at a show and most of the merchandise on show at the stalls were for Regins and you had to ask for others.

As you say it may not be about income but I wonder is it another way for Vince to push Regins maybe.

Its always been the case that who ever is considered the top guy has the most merch at stands.

Back in 2006 Cena had about 4 or 5 shirts available when I went to the point and it was heavily featured. 2 for HBK and HHH and the odd one for Angle, Benoit etc. Cena was plastered everywhere and Id say it's similar now with Cena replaced by Reigns.

Id say there may be truth to that, if a kid is hell bent on buying a shirt and they only have Reigns in his size then the kid my be forced to buy one as not to be without a shirt at all. Back in 2006, I bought a HBK one as it was the only one in my size that i liked rather than being a Y2J one I really wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I vaguely recall not being able to get a CM Punk shirt when they were in Dublin during his heel run against Ryback. Whether it was just my size or they weren't on display at all I cant remember but I ended up getting a YES YES YES Daniel Bryan one instead. Even then Cena mercy dominated the stand.

Two ways to get merch in WWE - be the top guy and/or have a gimmick that people latch onto. Strowman's not ticked either of those boxes yet, as big and physically impressive as he is. Shallow as it sounds, he needs a catchphrase. Very hard to think of a top guy in WWE in the last 30 years who hasn't either had a catchphrase that people wanted to wear on a t-shirt or a striking piece of apparel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Strowman deserves the extra income he would get from merch, but I like the fact he doesn't come to the ring wearing his own shirts like the others do. Adds to the character

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement