Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I see animals son has retired from the nfl I wonder if he'll try his hand at wrestling. I remember hhh saying he has an open invite to try out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

If a wrestler gets praised by fans, they'll almost always accept that, but if they get criticized, there's a handy inbuilt defense mechanism which is, "Oh, f*ckin' marks. What do they know?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

briany wrote: »
    If a wrestler gets praised by fans, they'll almost always accept that, but if they get criticized, there's a handy inbuilt defense mechanism which is, "Oh, f*ckin' marks. What do they know?"

To be fair it's often because fans will spout stuff out of thin air that doesn't work as valid criticism. If you say, for example, 'Roman Reigns isn't connecting with fans as a babyface like he's supposed to', he can't say a thing because it's clear to see. But fans will often look to validate their feelings by adding some sort of caveat like 'he's not a good wrestler', which makes it easy to deflect for talent because it palpably is crap. So because the comment isn't measured, the entire message doesn't get heard. Ultimately it comes down to people accepting what they do and don't know and measuring their feedback as such, some wrestling fans don't like admitting they don't know everything so they make their criticism invalid in doing so. The same is true of many sports too, though they'd be more quantifiable with stats etc to back up arguments whereas wrestling is half-sport, half-art and a lot of the techniques used are still kept from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That Corkscrew Moonsault Charlotte does looks pretty dangerous. Every time she does it, I keep expecting her to injure herself or botch it and hurt her opponent. At the very least she should save it for big matches, but she did it on Raw this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hope that being injury prone will not be Finn Balors downfall in the WWE ???

He could be out for a good bit of time with the concussion he sustained on raw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I hope that being injury prone will not be Finn Balors downfall in the WWE ???

He could be out for a good bit of time with the concussion he sustained on raw

He is not injury prone, just unlucky. If anyone gets blasted that hard in the skull they will be knocked loopy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He is not injury prone, just unlucky. If anyone gets blasted that hard in the skull they will be knocked loopy.

Yep seen people out themselves as idiots on Twitter calling Finn injury prone because Jinder was reckless with that forearm. Just a ridiculous opinion to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

didnt Jinder give roman a stiff kick that looked nasty when it was slowed down. seems like hes trying to get himself out of jobber status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

There's a nasty slow-mo video of that forearm Jinder gave Finn - Link

Damn, almost reminds me of that time Goldberg kicked Bret Hart.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Holy god his whole skull moved with that. That was tough to watch, even tougher was the way he fell face down after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Loughc wrote: »
    Holy god his whole skull moved with that. That was tough to watch, even tougher was the way he fell face down after it.
    That was my exact thought, to the best of my knowledge you're taught to land on your back and he just crumbled to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

How did he manage to get up and do the coup de grace afterwards with nobody spotting anything? He's a tough lad is Finn despite not being the biggest, as demonstrated at Summerslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I decided to watch New Years revolution 2005 on the network for the first time in ages. Time has not been good. Two matches in and two bad knee injuries in both matches.

My point is don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That petition to fire Strowman has been the worse thing that could happen. It now shows Vince that there are actually people who care about Reigns. That's all he needs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CastorTroy wrote: »
    That petition to fire Strowman has been the worse thing that could happen. It now shows Vince that there are actually people who care about Reigns. That's all he needs

Is there a petition for JBL yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I decided to watch New Years revolution 2005 on the network for the first time in ages. Time has not been good. Two matches in and two bad knee injuries in both matches.

My point is don't bother.

Ah yes the PPV whose sole purpose was to give Super Hunter another title reign. He had been World Champion and the title was vacated due to a double pin involving Edge and Benoit in a triple threat match. Then at New Year's Revolution Hunter he goes and wins the title again - another reign on the CV. His ego from 03 to 05 was really off the charts bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

CastorTroy wrote: »

What's funny about the petition is the part that says he should be fired or sent to Smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Why does AJ Styles always do the thing where he does the arms out pose before he'll fail to hit the Styles clash in some way, when I see it I know the guy will get out of it someway so why does he do it all the time

Why does AJ Styles always do the thing where he does the arms out pose before he'll fail to hit the Styles clash in some way, when I see it I know the guy will get out of it someway so why does he do it all the time

That always happens. It's like when Roman Reigns get's ready for the spear or when Shawn Michaels starts stomping on the ground before going for the superkick. Same with Randy Orton and the RKO. Every time they do their little thing where it looks like they're getting ready to hit their finisher it gets countered. Not sure why but I guess it's just the set up for the tables getting turned.

• Advertisement

I can think of a number of wrestlers over the years who have been successful, but perhaps did not have what has become, in wrestling, the ideal body. Mick Foley is a perfect example, here, but then there's guys like Rikishi, Yokozuna, Kevin Owens, King Kong Bundy, Adorable Adrian Adonis, Dusty Rhodes, Mabel, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Boss Man etc. etc. Guys who I am sure were very strong, but carrying extra weight all the same.

With the tendency towards smaller guys of late, and the commentary on this trend from guys like Ryback and Vince Russo, what is the future of big muscly guys in wrestling? Does it look good on camera, does it make them more believable as fighters, or in the reality era, the UFC era, should we be looking more at guys who can carry themselves a certain way in the ring, above whatever body type they have (so long as it doesn't prohibit them from working a match)?

I can think of a number of wrestlers over the years who have been successful, but perhaps did not have what has become, in wrestling, the ideal body. Mick Foley is a perfect example, here, but then there's guys like Rikishi, Yokozuna, Kevin Owens, King Kong Bundy, Adorable Adrian Adonis, Dusty Rhodes, Mabel, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Boss Man etc. etc. Guys who I am sure were very strong, but carrying extra weight all the same.

With the tendency towards smaller guys of late, and the commentary on this trend from guys like Ryback and Vince Russo, what is the future of big muscly guys in wrestling? Does it look good on camera, does it make them more believable as fighters, or in the reality era, the UFC era, should we be looking more at guys who can carry themselves a certain way in the ring, above whatever body type they have (so long as it doesn't prohibit them from working a match)?

Some of those names were big lads but by Christ could some of them move well. Adrian Adonis was an agile lad. Bam bam bigelow should have been much bigger than he was.

What's ryback being saying exactly ? Also if Vince Russo said the sky was blue I'd have to check.

Some of those names were big lads but by Christ could some of them move well. Adrian Adonis was an agile lad. Bam bam bigelow should have been much bigger than he was.

What's ryback being saying exactly ? Also if Vince Russo said the sky was blue I'd have to check.

Ryback was not naming names but having a go at certain wrestlers for eating junk food. Russo was lamenting that certain wrestlers were not hitting the gym, from looking at their bodies on TV. Don't agree with Russo on it, and a lot of people don't agree with anything Ryback says right now either. They're both getting a fair amount of ridicule, but their comments brought up the point in my mind anyway. It is something that has been a debate in wrestling since it became almost the norm to have a bodybuilder physique in wrestling.

Really enjoyed the new DDP documentary

Forgot about the gimmick he done in WWE where he was the positive guy with the perfect white teeth

Only discovered a doc on the WWE network from 2015 called 'Finn Balor the demon revealed' and it shows footage of his first WWE match in Ireland against Neville in April 2015. It's a really good doc and I imagine the upcoming WWE 24 special will be similar

Really enjoyed the new DDP documentary

Forgot about the gimmick he done in WWE where he was the positive guy with the perfect white teeth

Only discovered a doc on the WWE network from 2015 called 'Finn Balor the demon revealed' and it shows footage of his first WWE match in Ireland against Neville in April 2015. It's a really good doc and I imagine the upcoming WWE 24 special will be similar

Was that DDP gimmick the one where he used to say "that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing" and I seem to remember Christian being involved as well.

Was that DDP gimmick the one where he used to say "that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing" and I seem to remember Christian being involved as well.

Yeah it the positivity living gimmick, he had a match with Christian at mania 18

His WWE debut as the stalker of takers ex wife was a bit weird

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yup, Positively Page. Had a match at WM18 with Christian where he won, leading to one of many Christian tantrums in the ring.

Yeah it the positivity living gimmick, he had a match with Christian at mania 18

His WWE debut as the stalker of takers ex wife was a bit weird

Yeah that "match" at the KOTR in 2001 was never going to make him look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ryback was not naming names but having a go at certain wrestlers for eating junk food. Russo was lamenting that certain wrestlers were not hitting the gym, from looking at their bodies on TV. Don't agree with Russo on it, and a lot of people don't agree with anything Ryback says right now either. They're both getting a fair amount of ridicule, but their comments brought up the point in my mind anyway. It is something that has been a debate in wrestling since it became almost the norm to have a bodybuilder physique in wrestling.

Russo is just trolling. Anyone who's ever trained in any real kinda way knows how difficult it is to put on mass and definition, anyone who's on WWE TV (even bigger guys like KO and Wyatt who's body types are such that they need to work twice as hard to keep trim) is working a full-time gym schedule and needs to have their diet tip-top. It's a bit of a thing on the indie scene - and even then notsomuch nowadays with the world becoming more fitness orientated in general - it's absolutely not a thing once it gets to WWE.

• Advertisement

89cce506034e68088954081f2d271650.jpg

I remember Mick McManus from his latter WoS days when he was pushing 60, but in his heyday, he looked like an extremely tough customer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement