Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Calamari Catch King(s) is an awesome nickname and I thought that before I even knew the meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I am convinced that Eugene had a heel turn because Vince was seated close to a loud mentally disabled kid either on a plane or in a restaurant once.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I am convinced that Eugene had a heel turn because Vince was seated close to a loud mentally disabled kid either on a plane or in a restaurant once.

:D Vince doesn't fly on planes with the great unwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm sure I remember it being said that Eugene was based on a fan who was always at events.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

I really liked the Eugene gimmick. I was surprised to learn that a good number of fans didn't care for it. For me, it was a strong comedy gimmick that was also sympathetic.

................................................................................

Stone Cold has said that if you have no ambition to be in the main event, you probably shouldn't be in the business. With that thought in mind, I wonder how wrestlers feel about being stuck in the cruiserweight division - a bunch of wrestlers who have a glass ceiling placed firmly above their heads. It's essentially the curtain jerkers/mid card division. That might be alright for some of its roster but guys like Neville and Kendrick are worth a shot at the main belt or at least a second tier title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I wasn't watching at the time. looking back on clips . The gimmick comes across as crass.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm sure I remember it being said that Eugene was based on a fan who was always at events.

Probably Brock Lesnar Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

briany wrote: »
    Stone Cold has said that if you have no ambition to be in the main event, you probably shouldn't be in the business. With that thought in mind, I wonder how wrestlers feel about being stuck in the cruiserweight division - a bunch of wrestlers who have a glass ceiling placed firmly above their heads. It's essentially the curtain jerkers/mid card division. That might be alright for some of its roster but guys like Neville and Kendrick are worth a shot at the main belt or at least a second tier title.

Austin's phrase is a ridiculous, and somewhat damaging, notion. Apply that logic to any career: should you only ever want to be the manager of a company or else you're wasting your time? Some people aren't suited to top level positions, some just view their career as a means to pay bills and are fine at that. Cabana did a bit on his podcast before about that notion saying similar to what I am and it destroyed Austin's point. Plus there can only be X-amount of main eventers. So everyone who never made it that far has wasted their career? The Rock N Roll Express, two of Austin's favourite wrestlers, were nobodies because they weren't world heavyweight champions? Stupid notion. Sometimes wrestlers build the narrative to suit themselves after the fact. It's easy to say 'you should want to be the biggest star ever' when you were the biggest star ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think Curt Hawkins is a perfect example where he is happy enough to have a job in WWE. The only issue that lower carders face is that they could end up not getting booked on live events/tv tapings and getting paid to sit at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think Curt Hawkins is a perfect example where he is happy enough to have a job in WWE. The only issue that lower carders face is that they could end up not getting booked on live events/tv tapings and getting paid to sit at home.

Exactly, and look at the likes of Sheamus now for an even better example. Well respected by his peers, has shown he can do a lot in every role he's been given, he's achieved a lot already and got to do cool projects like movies too so he's probably earned a ****load of cash and given himself security for life. Barring any major scandal he'll likely have a job for life as an agent, NXT trainer etc when his in-ring career winds down because he's respected by the right people. He's got it made and just needs to keep doing his job to a relatively high standard and he's won the game of life! He doesn't need to have been in the last match of WrestleMania or have a 3-year run as 'the guy' to prove to himself he was a success, he's already done what he set out to do as a kid with interest, he is a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Melty notes that the Glorious Theme song was not originally intended for Booby Roode, but actually for Nakamura. Nak turned it down as it didnt fit his character and Roode was happy to use it.

I find that really cool, Naks theme suits him to a tee and Glorious wouldn't have suited him at all, yet the theme has really given Roodes career a shot in the arm.

It worked out for everybody.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I guess its realistic goal versus dream. I imagine TJP would love to get to the point where he is facing Brock. But its unlikely to ever happen so its a dream.

A realsitic goal would be to help push on his own division so they can tanscend the traditional placement/teeatment of it. One day, could Neville v TJP headline RAW or a PPV like the womens division?

I think it can and WWE need to examine the use of divisions to keep people strong. Much like we see in UFC or Boxing, limits can make stars. Nobody would expect Floyd Mayweather to beat Lennox Lewis but they paid a lot to see him face Dela Hoya.

Random Wrestling Thought. I love when beakerjoe calls him Melty. Gives me a little smile each time. Other things I enjoy were Moneymaker calling jobbers 'geeks' and gerrybbadd christening wrestlers with various names a la Y2J e.g. Ron Mysterious. Keep the gimmicks coming lads.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Random Wrestling Thought. I love when beakerjoe calls him Melty. Gives me a little smile each time. Other things I enjoy were Moneymaker calling jobbers 'geeks' and gerrybbadd christening wrestlers with various names a la Y2J e.g. Ron Mysterious. Keep the gimmicks coming lads.

I too like JerryBGoods gimmick (see what I did there)

I caught the Melty business from twitter, just a bad habit really.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I too like JerryBGoods gimmick (see what I did there)

I caught the Melty business from twitter, just a bad habit really.

No, it gives me life. It's not a bad habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I need to come up with some new names for WWE talent, the roster has changed so much.

In other news, once you hear it! Listen to Bayley's song, and the first line of the song is definitely "There's ain't no stoppin' us now, i'd rather piss on the floor"

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I need to come up with some new names for WWE talent, the roster has changed so much.

Well Kirk Angel is back, so theres one, Randell Orton is still around too.

Other suggestions could be

Barry Corbain (Baron Corbin)

Suzuki Nakatocki (Nakamura)

Ralph Zinger (Dolph Ziggler)

Scoot Dawkins (Scott Dawson)

Dish Wander (Dash Wilder)

Monkey Tennis anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well Kirk Angel is back, so theres one, Randell Orton is still around too.

Other suggestions could be

Barry Corbain (Baron Corbin)

Suzuki Nakatocki (Nakamura)

Ralph Zinger (Dolph Ziggler)

Scoot Dawkins (Scott Dawson)

Dish Wander (Dash Wilder)

Monkey Tennis anyone?

.....and how could we forget Kirk Angel :D

Well I have:

JohnJo (Jo Jo)
    Brock will always be Bork Laser to me :)
    Jeff Harvey (thanks Mike Adamle)
    Little Mamma Hot Petrol (Kevin Nash)
    Hunter is Haitch
    Doug Ambrose

I usually think up some on the spot that I can't remember. Had something good for Nia - Omack, do you remember what it was?

I usually think up some on the spot that I can't remember. Had something good for Nia - Omack, do you remember what it was?

Nia Jax - Need the Jacks?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

leggo wrote: »
    Austin's phrase is a ridiculous, and somewhat damaging, notion. Apply that logic to any career: should you only ever want to be the manager of a company or else you're wasting your time? Some people aren't suited to top level positions, some just view their career as a means to pay bills and are fine at that. Cabana did a bit on his podcast before about that notion saying similar to what I am and it destroyed Austin's point. Plus there can only be X-amount of main eventers. So everyone who never made it that far has wasted their career? The Rock N Roll Express, two of Austin's favourite wrestlers, were nobodies because they weren't world heavyweight champions? Stupid notion. Sometimes wrestlers build the narrative to suit themselves after the fact. It's easy to say 'you should want to be the biggest star ever' when you were the biggest star ever.

As I said, it might be OK for certain wrestlers on the cruiserweight roster, but wrestlers like Kendrick and Neville are worth more than to be trapped in a division that fills out a couple of spots in the midcard. Neville, in particular, was very much on a trajectory toward being a main guy with winning the NXT championship and being very impressive in mixing it up with larger opponents in his first few months on the main roster, before his injury.

No, the Rock n Roll were not nobodies - they were the hottest tag team in that area of the country, in a time and place where tag team wrestling was hotly promoted, and certainly held enough tag team championships. In wrestling, holding the belt has, historically, been synonymous with being the marquee guy and therefore being at the top. Sometimes guys don't need the WHC belt to be in that spot, though. Either way, if you're stuck in the cruiserweight division of the WWE, there's little to no chance of any of its performers attaining either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nia Jax - Need the Jacks?!
    She's not like most jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well I have:

JohnJo (Jo Jo)
    Brock will always be Bork Laser to me :)
    Jeff Harvey (thanks Mike Adamle)
    Little Mamma Hot Petrol (Kevin Nash)
    Hunter is Haitch
    Doug Ambrose

Read recently that he has been diagnosed with dementia.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Read recently that he has been diagnosed with dementia.

Everybody sing together now (to the theme of Simple Minds hit)
    Don't you, forget Adamle. Don't don't don't don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Fatt Lardy always made me chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bran Strongman (Braun Strowman)
    Tit O'Nelly (Titus O'Neil)
    Jack Stryder (Zack Ryder)

Also

The Mortician (Undertaker)
    Wam Bam Bigelot (Bam Bam Bigelow)
    The Artist Formerly Known As Bullion (Goldust)
    Randy Roddy Peeper (Roddy Piper)
    Jack "The Snack" Roberts (Jake Roberts)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I never realised that Jim Johnston wrote the Time to play the Game, King of Kings and Evolution theme songs.

I had always assumed that Motorhead had wrote them as well as performed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

He's a talented guy. Wonder does he make royalties on the themes he wrote? (writes? Is he still doing them or do CFO$ do all of the ones worth talking about?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pentecost wrote: »
    He's a talented guy. Wonder does he make royalties on the themes he wrote? (writes? Is he still doing them or do CFO$ do all of the ones worth talking about?)

JJ does, and it's a sweet deal from back in their music label days. WWE are sick of having to pay him royalties (:confused:) which is why they have CFO$ make the themes today, it's way more cost efficient. The Uncaged releases seem to be pulling teeth with WWE Music Group because of said royalties.

• Advertisement

For a guy that's meant to be pretty green, Brawn Strowman is pretty class. He's good on the mic, and has improved greatly in ring.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement