Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And before he turned up on tv, I only knew him as a Rosebud

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

For a guy who last year if he got this push I'd be complaining he has totally changed my mind.

He's my favourite wrestler behind aj right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

jaykhunter wrote: »
    WWE are sick of having to pay him royalties (:confused:) which is why they have CFO$ make the themes today, it's way more cost efficient. The Uncaged releases seem to be pulling teeth with WWE Music Group because of said royalties.

The way I'm reading that, it sounds like CFO$ don't get royalties?

In any case, sounds like typical WWE (or typical big business, rather) in being annoyed about having to pay someone a fair dividend on what their work earns.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I hate and admire John Cena in equal measure after seeing this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

jaykhunter wrote: »
    JJ does, and it's a sweet deal from back in their music label days. WWE are sick of having to pay him royalties (:confused:) which is why they have CFO$ make the themes today, it's way more cost efficient. The Uncaged releases seem to be pulling teeth with WWE Music Group because of said royalties.

They took care of him big time when they floated the company. He's probably up there with Beever tooth in wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I never realised that Jim Johnston wrote the Time to play the Game, King of Kings and Evolution theme songs.

I had always assumed that Motorhead had wrote them as well as performed them.

I didn't know Jim wrote them, but I figured it wasn't Motorhead. Lemmy never knew the words to Time to Play the Game when he did Trips entrances at Wrestlemania :pac:

Angron wrote: »
    I didn't know Jim wrote them, but I figured it wasn't Motorhead. Lemmy never knew the words to Time to Play the Game when he did Trips entrances at Wrestlemania :pac:

That's what actually first sparked my curiosity.

I watched Mania 17 for the first since I originally viewed it when I was 11, the other day on the Network.

I observed that Lemmy was getting the lyrics wrong. I then researched the origins of the tune and found that Johnston had wrote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

briany wrote: »
    The way I'm reading that, it sounds like CFO$ don't get royalties?

I think WWEMG just buy their songs outright. I'll go poke for confirmation and I'll post my findings.
    I never realised that Jim Johnston wrote the Time to play the Game, King of Kings and Evolution theme songs. I had always assumed that Motorhead had wrote them as well as performed them.

Yeah! Jim Johnston's a beast!

About 55 seconds in you can hear Jim talk about it (with a instrumental demo track in the background)

Not the biggest Triple H fan or Randy Orton fan but I do have to say that the concept and execution behind Evolution was fantastic, IMO, now that I look back at it. They looked great standing together with that Moterhead theme blasting. Classic faction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I actually think WWE is missing having an actual top faction in the mould of a 4 Horsemen or Evolution with an undisputed top guy, a midcard champ and a tag team. All these loose alliances like Rollins with Kane and Big Show or Owens and Samoa Joe as HHHs chosen ones are ok but not great. Even The Club of AJ, Gallows & Anderson only lasted a short while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I do think the next classic type faction is just around the corner. Whether its WWE's version of the Bullet Club or a Trips spearheaded faction, it is imminent. There's a reason why a complacent ambrose is back on Raw now alongside his shield buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Probably the only way they can stop the Roman boos to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So listening to Something to Wrestle this week on Cornette when he ran Smokey Mountain and one of the money men behind it helping Jim out was none other than Rick Rubin.

So my random thought is Rick Rubin just with his beard alone would have made a great on air wrestling character.

So listening to Something to Wrestle this week on Cornette when he ran Smokey Mountain and one of the money men behind it helping Jim out was none other than Rick Rubin.

So my random thought is Rick Rubin just with his beard alone would have made a great on air wrestling character.

I like the idea of Rubin as a manager who's not there half the time. Like, he doesn't accompany his charge to the ring, but will stroll out and watch three minutes of the match, make a suggestion to do more dropkicks and then return to the back to meditate. He could claim in his interviews that he takes a hands-off holistic approach to wrestling management.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Factions can be annoying. They ruin so many matches through outside interference then everyone gets annoyed when one person takes them down, like Cena and Nexus.
    They can be grand for a while, but when they do interfere repeatedly or have surprise new members at every turn, it gets annoying

At least in NXT we have Sanity but they have a group opposing them with even numbers.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Factions can be annoying. They ruin so many matches through outside interference then everyone gets annoyed when one person takes them down, like Cena and Nexus.
    They can be grand for a while, but when they do interfere repeatedly or have surprise new members at every turn, it gets annoying

At least in NXT we have Sanity but they have a group opposing them with even numbers.

Factions when done correctly can be brilliant. I mean the horsemen(I'm talking flair, AA, Tully, windham, JJ dillon era) were a superb faction. But they had dusty Rhodes to bounce off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I have watched CM Punk vs. John Cena from Money in the Bank 2011 today and I don't think it has aged well over time.

I have watched CM Punk vs. John Cena from Money in the Bank 2011 today and I don't think it has aged well over time.

Take the atmosphere away and it's an average match similar to hogan and rock at wm18.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Factions when done correctly can be brilliant.

I genuinely think nothing in the last few years contributed to the ratings slump as much as the dragged out use of The Authority on Raw. A perfect recipe to get nobody over after they credited themselves getting Bryan over. :rolleyes:
    I never got why people pine for Factions. It just leads to dumb turns & run in laden matches. Hard enough to watch WWE now when nothing really matters
    sky88 wrote:
    Take the atmosphere away and it's an average match similar to hogan and rock at wm18.

It was poor & sloppy alright. Didn't enjoy Punk/Cena even at the time whereas just the visual of Rock vs Hogan was basically the only moment they looked like they could have booked the invasion properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

sky88 wrote: »

Yeah I watched recently and agree but, in fairness to the lads, it's a match based around the atmosphere so that tends to be the end result (like you said, like Hogan/Rock). Like instead of focusing on telling a story or doing memorable spots, they're building a match based around the fact that the crowd are going to be hopping and they just need to take them on a journey they've all already signed up to go on. So I wouldn't view it as a slight on the lads as we all remember watching that match and going on that journey, even if it doesn't age as well as we'd like. It's art and on that night the picture they were painting was based around whether you wanted Punk to win, having zero idea how it'd play out and a desperate longing most of us had for wrestling to be great again. Take those elements away and there's nothing left really but it's still an absolute masterpiece within its time.

• Advertisement

Not a slight on the guys as they've had much better matches than that.

Watching a bit of Wrestlemania 9 - J.R.'s first mania, and he does a big cheesey grin toward camera as he introduces 'Finkus Maximus'. Not a facial expression I associate with JR at all.

Also, Wrestlemania 9 has to be the oddest Wrestlemania.

Watching a bit of Wrestlemania 9 - J.R.'s first mania, and he does a big cheesey grin toward camera as he introduces 'Finkus Maximus'. Not a facial expression I associate with JR at all.

Possibly the worst in terms of match quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

It hasn't aged well at all, Jay and OSW review do a good job of critiquing it. Its not what Id show to a non fan interested in what wrestling is all about.

But it does have THE NARCISSIST!

Certainly some bad booking going on. Outside of Gonzalez, pretty much every wrestler on the card could go, so it wasn't so much the workrate that was the issue.

But there have been other underwhelming WMs in terms of match quality. What makes 9 stand out in particular is the corny presentation, the relatively small crowd and the complete lack of atmosphere due to it being outside with the sun beating down.

Undertaker did look pretty cool in his entrance, though. He was shot from a low angle so he cut a very cool silhouette against the daylight. Also, Heenan was funny coming in on the camels back...backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Certainly some bad booking going on. Outside of Gonzalez, pretty much every wrestler on the card could go, so it wasn't so much the workrate that was the issue.

But there have been other underwhelming WMs in terms of match quality. What makes 9 stand out in particular is the corny presentation, the relatively small crowd and the complete lack of atmosphere due to it being outside with the sun beating down.

Undertaker did look pretty cool in his entrance, though. He was shot from a low angle so he cut a very cool silhouette against the daylight. Also, Heenan was funny coming in on the camels back...backwards.

Remember it well. Was it Jim Ross making his debut? The venue seemed tiny though and it was bright right until the end. Hulk winning the belt was a shocker. But then I was huge hitman fan.

It's up there definitely. Ive no idea what possessed them to go to Las Vegas. It didn't work and it took them years to go outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Happy bday John Cena hard too believe he's 40 now

Is there really a defined age in pro wrestling for in ring retirement as matches can be produced in a way too protect older guys ?? Really down to personal choice and physical ability

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Remember it well. Was it Jim Ross making his debut? The venue seemed tiny though and it was bright right until the end. Hulk winning the belt was a shocker. But then I was huge hitman fan.

According to J.R.'s Wikipedia page it was his on-screen debut, and if that's correct then either McMahon had an incredible amount of confidence in J.R.'s ability to hit the ground running or else none of the other play-by-play men were available.

Having Jimmy Hart out there with Hogan was annoying. I know they're friends, but it made no sense for them to be paired up on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

According to J.R.'s Wikipedia page it was his on-screen debut, and if that's correct then either McMahon had an incredible amount of confidence in J.R.'s ability to hit the ground running or else none of the other play-by-play men were available.

Having Jimmy Hart out there with Hogan was annoying. I know they're friends, but it made no sense for them to be paired up on screen.

But wasn't Jimmy Hart the manager for beefcake and hogan v money Inc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement