Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

eh i dunno wrote: »
    But wasn't Jimmy Hart the manager for beefcake and hogan v money Inc?

Yeah, he wasn't out with Hogan during the main event, but he did begin to accompany Hogan at some point before Hogan's departure from WWF.

Even in the case of managing Hogan/Beefcake I didn't see much point. For one thing, Hart is really a heel manager, because his whole schtick is being an annoying motormouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Happy bday John Cena hard too believe he's 40 now

Is there really a defined age in pro wrestling for in ring retirement as matches can be produced in a way too protect older guys ?? Really down to personal choice and physical ability

I suppose like you say it depends on each individual. Some guys have 30 year careers, others 10.

I could somebody like Cena continuing for a while yet, albeit on a reduced schedule.

Was looking back on 9 myself last night. Apparently the attendance was something like 16,000.

WM 7 with Slaughter and Hogan was the lowest ever attended Mania.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Was looking back on 9 myself last night. Apparently the attendance was something like 16,000.

And a changed location because of "bomb threats", and definitely nothing to do with awful ticket sales needing a smaller venue :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

That might have something to do with the fact that Wrestlemania 7 was held at Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena which has a capacity 14,000 - 16,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Did Shawn Michaels get the wonky wan fixed? Just watched Table for 3 with AJ and Nash. Shawn's eyes look totally straight again

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Angron wrote: »
    And a changed location because of "bomb threats", and definitely nothing to do with awful ticket sales needing a smaller venue :pac:

Well I do think there were security threats to sgt slaughter and his family. I do find it interesting that the venue was changed just around the time the number of tickets for the original venue matched the capacity of the la sports arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I still can't believe Sheiky Baby was OK with portraying an Iraqi in that angle.

I still can't believe Sheiky Baby was OK with portraying an Iraqi in that angle.

I doubt Sheik cared. For one thing, he was getting paid, and for another, I think that was a time when it was full-on Party Sheik. He may not even have known what the hell was going on, just relying on instinct.

Also, if you think about it, he was portraying the Iraqis in a negative light.

My random thought is that there used to be a spot where a wrestler would mock a rival by introducing a midget dressed as him. I think it would be funny if they flipped that one time - they could have done this with Hornswoggle - where they introduced Hornswoggle, and some normal, or larger, guy comes out dressed as him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We know Jinders push is about opening the marketplace in India but does it also give the guys backstage the nod that it's ok the juice again and hey if you do you too might get a push too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We know Jinders push is about opening the marketplace in India but does it also give the guys backstage the nod that it's ok the juice again and hey if you do you too might get a push too.

He may be huge, but its not a sure thing he's on the juice.

One thing I dont miss is the canned audience dubbed over Smackdown. Man it was so bad and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah and Jinder isn't so much bigger as more ripped, which is solely down to diet, carrying less water weight and hard work in the gym. For example, someone can make a huge transformation on par with what he's done if they used to go out drinking a lot and stopped completely. I'm not gonna outright say he's definitely not on some kind of performance enhancer, but he's not definitely using either (though I'd lean towards not just because he'd have to be flagged by wellness and get tested regularly if he's made such a clear transformation; WWE wouldn't have an option there).

People just seem to throw this stuff out there speculatively without fully understanding what they're saying. Like do people think he's using HGH or dianabol, for example, and if so why? And if you can't argue with that kind of knowledge and certainty, how can you put such serious allegations on paper and expect to be taken seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I think it is down to the fact that his veins are so overly visible and protruding that people are jumping to the "he must be juicing" allegation.

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah and Jinder isn't so much bigger as more ripped, which is solely down to diet, carrying less water weight and hard work in the gym. For example, someone can make a huge transformation on par with what he's done if they used to go out drinking a lot and stopped completely. I'm not gonna outright say he's definitely not on some kind of performance enhancer, but he's not definitely using either (though I'd lean towards not just because he'd have to be flagged by wellness and get tested regularly if he's made such a clear transformation; WWE wouldn't have an option there).

People just seem to throw this stuff out there speculatively without fully understanding what they're saying. Like do people think he's using HGH or dianabol, for example, and if so why? And if you can't argue with that kind of knowledge and certainty, how can you put such serious allegations on paper and expect to be taken seriously?

It be a huge risk in modern day WWE. He'd be giving up a somewhat well paid gig if he was caught doing anything. He just got his foot back in the door and it would be foolish to go on the gas in this day and age. Hes not even a big talent like Brock Lesnar who would have some protection if he was caught, he's a low card worker. Id doubt hes juicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hes not even a big talent like Brock Lesnar who would have some protection if he was caught, he's a low card worker. Id doubt hes juicing.

He's a main eventer dammit!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think it is down to the fact that his veins are so overly visible and protruding that people are jumping to the "he must be juicing" allegation.

Yeah but do people actually understand how that happens? It's through dehydration so body fat is reduced to the lowest amount possible by taking away water weight so he's essentially just muscle, skin and bone, hence the veins protruding because there's nothing in between. It's fairly simple and straightforward, bodybuilders do it all the time in competition, and it's not a sign of steroid use at all! The increase in mass (which isn't gigantic) can be done by simply bulking and increasing calorie intake while also changing around his workouts (so less cardio, heavier weights, lower reps) as opposed to training to get lean (lower calories, more cardio, lower weights, higher reps), which is likely how he trained beforehand, and maybe he trained like that because he might've enjoyed the nightlife of a TV star so he's concerned with being lean and keeping a beer belly off! So take the nightlife away, focus on your training and diet and his gains are perfectly achievable with enough dedication.

Where you'd say someone has 'obviously' been juicing is when they'd have been a skinny kid at 18 and then you see them a few years later and their entire body composition has changed so that they're all of a sudden a monster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Kane turns 50 today, and after all these years he's still my favourite wrestler of all time. Whenever he does officially hang up the boots, I'm going to be gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why is it one extreme to another?

Its possible to safely use what in actual sports would be viewed as performance enhancing.

Its not like it was years ago where lads used any stuff they could get there hands on. Stuck needles in with no care or attention. They are not on the alcohol or other drugs guys were on years ago either.

What guys use now, would be supervised and done as safe as it can be. They still work incredibly hard to achieve it in the gym and diet.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Why is it one extreme to another?

Its possible to safely use what in actual sports would be viewed as performance enhancing.

Its not like it was years ago where lads used any stuff they could get there hands on. Stuck needles in with no care or attention. They are not on the alcohol or other drugs guys were on years ago either.

What guys use now, would be supervised and done as safe as it can be. They still work incredibly hard to achieve it in the gym and diet.

Problem is that WWE are trying to promote a very family-friendly image nowadays, pushing their performers as role models to children. If you were to ask WWE where it stands on young people's fitness, I'd say you'd get a very straight, "Work hard. Achieve results. Be the best.", not "Work hard, and hey, the occasional shot of steroids never hurt anyone."

I certainly agree that WWE performers should not be held to the same standards as sports people, because they're not that, but WWE has constantly acknowledged the stigma that surrounds PED use by constantly ignoring the reality of its use in wrestling until absolutely pushed. It's really a problem with a lot of issues they willfully ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Angron wrote: »
    Kane turns 50 today, and after all these years he's still my favourite wrestler of all time. Whenever he does officially hang up the boots, I'm going to be gutted.

And 19 years ago tonight the undertaker and Kane had the first inferno match which involved that classic taker dive over the ropes with the flames around the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

So let's just say WWE decided to go back to Attitude Era/Ruthless Aggression times, how could it be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

KKkitty wrote: »
    So let's just say WWE decided to go back to Attitude Era/Ruthless Aggression times, how could it be done?

It couldn't. Both "eras" had very objectionable stuff eg. Katie Vick, Kurt Angle/Booker T/Sharmell; Basham Brothers S&M gimmick; ALL the wild over the top Attitude Era stuff from Undertaker as Lucifer to fake pregnancy angles, Mae Young etc.

Their sponsors and the like would go Apr sh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Is Ellsworth the first male valet? Probably forgetting someone obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Live sex shows. Miz/Maryse, Lana/Rusev or just Lana/Maryse.

Was watching Raw this week and thinking isn't Dana's finisher a bit dangerous for her? She seems too short to pull it off safely, especially on someone as tall as Alicia Fox. True, she managed it but it just seems risky.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Is Ellsworth the first male valet? Probably forgetting someone obvious.

Stevie Richards kinda accompanied Victoria. They were a short lived on screen couple. I wouldn't call Ellsworth a valet though

WWE has arguably got a very talent roster of capable wrestlers who can speak and wrestler great matches yet no one is over minus 1 or 2 guys. Very few characters these days connect to the crowd.

In contrast to the 80's, so many acts were over yet so few were capable of great matches.

Bushwackers, Honky Tonk man, Warrior, Dusty Rhodes, Brutus Beefacke and many more were really subpar wrestlers but their characters were so over it improved the viewing ten fold because they connected with the crowd.

WWE have forgotten how to build stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Or maybe those guys made up for their lack of in ring ability by being charismatic and todays guys lack charisma but make up for it with in ring ability?

I like Jinder. It's nice to see somebody unexpected get a push into the main event scene.

• Advertisement

correction wrote: »
    Or maybe those guys made up for their lack of in ring ability by being charismatic and todays guys lack charisma but make up for it with in ring ability?

Todays guys dont all lack charisma though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement