Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

I find it strange that Vince has notably been ardently using the term 'sports-entertainment' for the last quarter century, yet continues to have 'Wrestling' smack dab in the name of his company.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Speaking of wwf, how were they allowed to use the initails for so long, must have been around 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

briany wrote: »
    I find it strange that Vince has notably been ardently using the term 'sports-entertainment' for the last quarter century, yet continues to have 'Wrestling' smack dab in the name of his company.

Its brand recognition. It's what gets fans through the doors now more than ever. He can ban random words like 'draft' or 'fans' but he ain't that dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've just watched the table for 3 with edge,Christian, and kurt angle. E&C look great even after all the years on the road and in the ring. It's good to see the two lads happy. I hope kurt is using the hulk hogan school of tanning, otherwise his blood pressure is through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If it makes you feel worse,World Wrestling Entertainment renamed themselves WWE back in 2011! So they trade under WWE now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Kolido wrote: »
    Speaking of wwf, how were they allowed to use the initails for so long, must have been around 20 years?

My memory is shady so I welcome a correction but I think there was an agreement in 1994 that WWF wouldn't use those initials outside the US - WWF in the UK/Europe had become huge in the early 1990s and SummerSlam 1992 and their deal with Sky helped that a lot. Prior to this the "world" Wrestling Federation wasn't very global so the wildlife crowd didn't pay much attention.

The 2002 case resulted in them being forced to cease using the initials WWF as Vince had breached the 1994 agreement - by the early 2000s they were huge again, doing two live PayPerViews a year, expanded their deal with Sky and made it to Channel 4 terrestrial TV.

jaykhunter wrote: »

If it makes you feel worse,World Wrestling Entertainment renamed themselves WWE back in 2011! So they trade under WWE now
    Well legally the company is still world wrestling entertainment. They just decided to start using the initials WWE and not referring to its full name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Kolido wrote: »
    The agreement with the World Wildlife Fund made in the early 80s before they became absolutely huge, I believe, was that they were allowed to have a logo that said WWF but they were to never refer to themselves as the WWF. I assume the logic was that their panda logo was so recognisable that they just didn't mind.

However, around the time the scratch logo came around, WWE just started calling themselves WWF the whole time and that's what caused the issues. I imagine they only had permission for the previous WWF logo too so the scratch one got dragged into the legal case regarding calling themselves the WWF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

There was also the issue of the wwf.com domain.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/8/22/3259376/wwe-and-world-wildlife-fund-reach-a-settlement

This article gives a good summery of the agreements made in 1994(including the actual document) and what happened in 2002.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Finally watching this week's RAW, and...is there any way I can get that jacket Sheamus and Cesaro were wearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Finally watching this week's RAW, and...is there any way I can get that jacket Sheamus and Cesaro were wearing?

Probably here

http://shop.wwe.com/

or here

http://euroshop.wwe.com/en_IE/Home?gclid=CKulwP2s3NMCFYO87QodlUICjw

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Question deleted

Apologies for bringing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Response to a deleted question. No longer relevant.

Pentecost wrote: »
    He may be "you know", or he may not. Not sure anyone on here can confirm it, and certainly they shouldn't if he has kept it private. He comes across as one seriously sound dude and that's what's most important.

Yeah I deleted the question and don't want to discuss it further

He seems like a sound fella and seems good with the fans and that's one of the reasons he's in high regard in the wwe

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Yeah I deleted the question and don't want to discuss it further

He seems like a sound fella and seems good with the fans and that's one of the reasons he's in high regard in the wwe

If more wrestlers had the personality of Finn balor, then wrestling would be in a far better place. Also, Finn, sheamus, and Becky are doing the county proud and that's all that matters to me.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If more wrestlers had the personality of Finn balor, then wrestling would be in a far better place. Also, Finn, sheamus, and Becky are doing the county proud and that's all that matters to me.

Yeah and hopefully a few more Irish wreatlers will make it big in the future. Jordon Devlin, Tucker and the guy in sanity in nxt are climbing the ranks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Wrestlers should be more annoyed when screwy finishes happen, especially now that we see them so often

Stone Cold after No Way Out 2002 is a great example of how someone should be after a screwy finish, why couldn't Rollins should real anger or frustration after Jericho cost him multiple times, or Balor for not automatically getting his title rematch

For some reason the UK tv tapings never get the LCD screens on the ringposts. Possibly it goes by the size of the arena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

With Glenn Jacobs out on the election trail, WWE should bring in Kevin Nash to play the Kane character

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Itssoeasy wrote: »

This. It gives me an immense sense of pride watching the success of Sheamo, Finn and Becky. All 3 have been WWE World Champions, and they're from Ireland. Considering the UK still are without a bonafide WWE Heavyweight Champion despite the talent that has come from the UK we should be thanking our stars for the talent of the 3. Long may it continue.

Necrominus wrote: »
    This. It gives me an immense sense of pride watching the success of Sheamo, Finn and Becky. All 3 have been WWE World Champions, and they're from Ireland. Considering the UK still are without a bonafide WWE Heavyweight Champion despite the talent that has come from the UK we should be thanking our stars for the talent of the 3. Long may it continue.

Yeah back in the 90's/00's we were all saying 'how cool would it be to have an Irish wrestler in the wwe/wwf' and now we have 3 very successful ones and hopefully a few more soon. We one of the top wrestling countries in the world atm.

Dont knw much about Fit Finleys wrestling career only the short wwe stint a few years ago (why did he decide to do it at that age ??) But he is a very respected guy backstage and a great trainer

Yeah back in the 90's/00's we were all saying 'how cool would it be to have an Irish wrestler in the wwe/wwf' and now we have 3 very successful ones and hopefully a few more soon. We one of the top wrestling countries in the world atm.

Dont knw much about Fit Finleys wrestling career only the short wwe stint a few years ago (why did he decide to do it at that age ??) But he is a very respected guy backstage and a great trainer

I think he was working with the Ladies off screen for a few years prior to coming back to wrestle. Might have been a lack of available talent at the time. I enjoyed Finlay's work during that run (with the exception of Hornswaggle)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Fit was a mainstay on the WCW undercard from the mid 90's onward. I was kinda suprised they brought him in as a performer in WWE in 2006 but he found a spot and it worked out great for him. The man is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    With Glenn Jacobs out on the election trail, WWE should bring in Kevin Nash to play the Kane character

Think it would be too obvious it's Nash when he tears his quad within the first few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Nash to play fake Kane like the time Glenn Jacobs played fake Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Way too many moves for Nash.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Nash to play fake Kane like the time Glenn Jacobs played fake Diesel.

Yup, that's what i'm getting at. The old switcheroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Kevin Nash LOL. Thought he was dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement