Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

in 2017 Ive no interest in Nash as Nash, as Diesel, as Kane, as Vinnie Vegas or any other moniker. Same goes for the Kane character which has been done to absolute death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

beakerjoe wrote: »
    in 2017 Ive no interest in Nash as Nash, as Diesel, as Kane, as Vinnie Vegas or any other moniker. Same goes for the Kane character which has been done to absolute death.
    But...but...

Oz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Could ROH become a major player if someone Sinclair decided to do a Ted Turner on it and throw money at wrestling?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Meant to say, wonder if the fact that they let Roderick Strong talk about ROH in a very positive light on nxt implies something?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just thinking about the old four horsewoman and how they are supposed to be friends. I mean it's clear Charlotte and Becky are best best friends and Sasha and bayley are good friends but I don't think Sasha is close with the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Everybody knows that image of The Rock looking confused as he and Roman gets booed after he wins the Rumble

I wonder if Rocky had any notion of the response that Roman would receive or was he told Roman is the next guy and took it as a sign he'll get some cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

When Ted Turner bought what became WCW, he was not only buying a promotion but buying into a particular subset of wrestling fandom - the southern "rasslin'" fans. And this was a large group that had put bread on the table of a number of wrestling promotions down throughout the years, not the relatively small contingent of IWC fans who complain about WWE and pine for a true competitor. Point being that Ted Turner was looking at a different landscape in 1988. Would a Ted Turner be tempted to do the same today? With ROH? Or TNA? Well.....

Well, actually a big company did back TNA for several years and they barely made a dent on WWE, so I think we have our answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

briany wrote: »
    When Ted Turner bought what became WCW, he was not only buying a promotion but buying into a particular subset of wrestling fandom - the southern "rasslin'" fans. And this was a large group that had put bread on the table of a number of wrestling promotions down throughout the years, not the relatively small contingent of IWC fans who complain about WWE and pine for a true competitor. Point being that Ted Turner was looking at a different landscape in 1988. Would a Ted Turner be tempted to do the same today? With ROH? Or TNA? Well.....

Well, actually a big company did back TNA for several years and they barely made a dent on WWE, so I think we have our answer.
    It didn't help that said company was responsible for a lot of the bad creative decisions that stifled TNA, starting around 2007 when they rehired Vince Russo. Once Dixie herself started to get more involved in the show both on screen and off, I just tuned out entirely. Before that though, it seemed like a promising alternative to the Fed.

That being said, I'm shocked that they're actually being involved in the World of Sport revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't think it's big money that wrestling is missing. It's an idea that'll capture the imaginations of a large number of fans at the same time. Look at the rapid success of the likes of ICW and OTT for examples of how something can grow beyond people's wildest dreams when it's the right idea. If an idea isn't growing that quickly then adding a lot of money to it is just pouring it down a drain. ROH wouldn't capture a mainstream audience because it is, by definition, a niche product. WWE is where it is because of all the stuff about it that annoy us, like crappy celeb cameos etc, that grab eyes and media coverage.

Another problem is talent largely wanting to work in WWE and seeing that as their ultimate destination. Money would help there because you can buy loyalty, and ROH/NJPW are doing well by contracting lads up, but people still want their WrestleMania moment, to work with Vince and Triple H etc, all the reasons most of us would like to be wrestlers, so ultimately you're just buying a stopgap and thus can't invest too much into them, and talent is what moves the needle quicker than anything. Companies themselves also want to work with WWE, for now at least.

In short there'll never be a like-for-like competitor for WWE UNLESS something really bad happens them. Even then Vince has withstood the steroid scandal, the death of kayfabe, the Benoit murders etc, and when you look at how the NFL continues to succeed despite us learning about why it really shouldn't still be a thing, when companies get to the monopoly stage with tenure behind them they're damn near bullet proof. BUT there are now loads of good alternatives out there and it's never been easier to enjoy them all, so best bet is to just appreciate that while we can and show support with your pocket whenever possible. It doesn't need to be as big as WWE, in fact it's kind of cooler when it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just thinking about the old four horsewoman and how they are supposed to be friends. I mean it's clear Charlotte and Becky are best best friends and Sasha and bayley are good friends but I don't think Sasha is close with the other two.

The four of them broke through at the same time and are all credited with turning the Women's division into something more than filler. They aren't best friends. They are colleagues.

Charlotte and Becky are very close and used to travel together before the brand extension.

Sasha and Bayley are also very close and I assume travel together now.

I don't think Sasha and Becky have ever been that tight with each other but there isn't any heat between them but just aren't close. Sasha and Charlotte is interesting.
    Their on screen relationship is similar to their off screen. Both have mutual respect for one another but both believe they are the best. Sasha has given shoot interviews (Sam Roberts I think) and alluded to Charlotte's real life sense of entitlement. And anyone who follows Sasha on Twitter knows how shady she can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

The four of them broke through at the same time and are all credited with turning the Women's division into something more than filler. They aren't best friends. They are colleagues.

Charlotte and Becky are very close and used to travel together before the brand extension.

Sasha and Bayley are also very close and I assume travel together now.

I don't think Sasha and Becky have ever been that tight with each other but there isn't any heat between them but just aren't close. Sasha and Charlotte is interesting.
    Their on screen relationship is similar to their off screen. Both have mutual respect for one another but both believe they are the best. Sasha has given shoot interviews (Sam Roberts I think) and alluded to Charlotte's real life sense of entitlement. And anyone who follows Sasha on Twitter knows how shady she can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'm pretty sure Becky and Sasha are good friends too. Could have sworn i've seen pictures of them hanging out together. Becky and Bayley are friends as well. I remember Becky and Sasha appearing in the audience of an NXT show to watch Bayley's match, and the three of them hugging each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Meant to say, wonder if the fact that they let Roderick Strong talk about ROH in a very positive light on nxt implies something?

WWE have had a great relationship with ROH the past few years, and used ROH footage in documentaries, such as CM Punk's one.

ROH isnt the company it once was. The company has regressed in the last few years. Their relationship with NJPW isnt as strong as it once was, talent that was on their show like AJ Styles, Nakamura left NJPW and talent like Omega, Okada, Liger, Tanahashi etc come over less frequently. Couple that with their own talent leaving (Cedric Alexander, Ciampa, Mike Bennett, Roddy Strong, Moose, ACH, Lio Rush, plus potentially Adam Cole and Kyle O'Reilly now), ROH has lost a lot of top talent and hasnt really replaced it.

Looking at their last card, their top draws were Adam Cole, The Bucks, Marty Scull, Cody Rhodes, Daniels, The Briscoes, The Hardys and Bully Ray. With at least 3 of thoses names now gone, the have a talent shortage.

With NXT hoovering up talent and drawing more fans, the emergence of other great indy companies in recent years, coupled with the talent shortage as well as reports of backstage turmoil with Delerious as head booker, ROH is not in great shape going forward and looks like it may fade into the background unless something changes.

Its really sad as it was a great platform for emerging talent to grow and nurture for more than 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is Chikara still considered one of the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Becky and Sasha are good friends too. Could have sworn i've seen pictures of them hanging out together. Becky and Bayley are friends as well. I remember Becky and Sasha appearing in the audience of an NXT show to watch Bayley's match, and the three of them hugging each other.

So really everyone loves Becky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

So really everyone loves Becky

And rightly so. Yeah I think Becky and Sasha get on well enough from any interviews I've read. They were probably closer when they were together every day in NXT, Sasha helped Becky out a lot when she first got to NXT seemingly. Becky and Charlotte are also a few years older than the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,362 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

were there any instances in the wwe/wwf were fans were hit by mistake ???

I remember Ric Flair hit a fan when the undertaker moved out of the way, im not sure if it was work or ??

I image the choreography is down to a tee to prevent a mistake like that happening. The company could be in deep **** if a fan was punched

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

PTH2009 wrote: »
    were there any instances in the wwe/wwf were fans were hit by mistake ???

I remember Ric Flair hit a fan when the undertaker moved out of the way, im not sure if it was work or ??

I image the choreography is down to a tee to prevent a mistake like that happening. The company could be in deep **** if a fan was punched

Didn't Punk hit a fan a few years ago....though I think that was deliberate.

That time Lesnar broke off the door of J&J securitys car, didnt he hit someone in the crowd with it?

Same with Lesnar and a monitor one time, can't remember when but he was taking out the monitors to put someone through a table and sent it flying into the crowd the far side of the ring

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    And rightly so. Yeah I think Becky and Sasha get on well enough from any interviews I've read. They were probably closer when they were together every day in NXT, Sasha helped Becky out a lot when she first got to NXT seemingly. Becky and Charlotte are also a few years older than the other two.

Exactly who could dislike Becky ? I read the other responses and I agree with them, but the one person I think Sasha doesn't get on with is alexa bliss. There's apparently Heat there since nxt when Alexa got a bloody nose in a match and maybe a broken nose.

And just watching their interactions on raw since the goddess arrived it's not acting. And being someone who has cooled on Sasha in a big way since nxt, I think it's funny. Alexa is far better on the mic than Sasha and has the potential to be better in the ring than Sasha is. Alexa knows her character whereas Sasha is the boss and I've no idea what the hell that even is now.

Kolido wrote: »
    Didn't Punk hit a fan a few years ago....though I think that was deliberate.

Yeah punk did hit a fan, but that fan was asking for it. I'm not saying punk should have hit him but the fan was hitting punk first.

Yeah punk did hit a fan, but that fan was asking for it. I'm not saying punk should have hit him but the fan was hitting punk first.

Actually IIRC the fan he hit wasn't the one grabbing him, he just turned and reacted and got the wrong fan. All while Vince is in the ring watching too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,787 ✭✭✭✭briany

For all the time Randy Orton has been on WWE TV, he's always felt like background noise to me. Kind of like the Brooklyn Brawler, in that regard....except if Brawler had been a multi-time WWE champ.

But if you built as a sports entertainer from the ground up he'd look like Randy, how can you not love him :confused:

In reality the only thing keeping him near the top of the roster is the RKO imo and it's popularity, and if that "RKO outta nowhere" memes didn't start a few years ago he could have faded away

• Registered Users Posts: 38,362 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pity Bray Wyatt is on raw and won't be in the MITB match as I believe he would be a cool guy to hold the case. His entrance would make his cashing in cool. He could really tease the champion

But if you built as a sports entertainer from the ground up he'd look like Randy, how can you not love him :confused:

In reality the only thing keeping him near the top of the roster is the RKO imo and it's popularity, and if that "RKO outta nowhere" memes didn't start a few years ago he could have faded away

To be fair, memes etc come as a result of the wrestler being over to begin with (hence someone thinking of it to begin with), not the other way around. Like the reason they happened is because Orton did the RKO outta nowhere to give plenty of commentary clips for people to use. I agree with what people are saying about him, I never felt a particular kinship to him aside from when he was doing the Legend Killer or punting gimmicks, but still credit where it's due.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I miss the Legend Killer gimmick, that was a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Trump took lessons from Vince it seems, in dismissing the FBI Director - he literally future endeavoured him! Letter:

"Dear Director Comey:

"I have received the attached letters from the Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General of the United States recommending your dismissal as the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I have accepted their recommendation and you are hereby terminated and removed from office, effective immediately.

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice
    that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau.
    "It is essential that we find new leadership for the FBI that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission

"I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors."

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    To be fair, memes etc come as a result of the wrestler being over to begin with (hence someone thinking of it to begin with), not the other way around. Like the reason they happened is because Orton did the RKO outta nowhere to give plenty of commentary clips for people to use. I agree with what people are saying about him, I never felt a particular kinship to him aside from when he was doing the Legend Killer or punting gimmicks, but still credit where it's due.

One thing Ive noticed about Randy Orton through the years is that he seems to be very highly regarded for his in ring talent by his peers. Many a wrestler seem to say they have had their best matches with him or hes their favourite guy to work with, such as Christian and Seth Rollins to name a few.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement