Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭CSF

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I was a fan of his Sky High, was a great "out of nowhere move". His frog splash (wityh or without the pro vest) was nice move that wasnt used by anyone on the roster.

Sadly if he was around this era Id imagine he would be in the R-Truth league of usefulness.
    Great move, basically what whey want the RKO to be in terms of quick impact.

I find it difficult to predict what WWE would do with anyone these days, but in terms of in-ring quality alone, he was definitely above the likes of R Truth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This is random. Sadly Phantom FM laid off most of it's staff this weekend. One of the DJ's posted this as inspiration:
    https://twitter.com/NadineORegan/status/434775853914791936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Anyone else hate the concept of "beat the champ and get a title shot"?
    It means for there to be a permanent title change the challenger has to win 3 times (including the rematch clause), which absolutely buries the original champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Whenever I see the New Age Outlaws now it always makes me think of things you thought were great when you were a kid but in hindsight were a bit shit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anyone else hate the concept of "beat the champ and get a title shot"?
    It means for there to be a permanent title change the challenger has to win 3 times (including the rematch clause), which absolutely buries the original champ.

You'd have a point if it were the only way to obtain a title match, but it's far from it. Royal Rumble, Money in the Bank, Beat the Clock, number one contenders match, flavour of the month, hold the company hostage because they said mean things about you etc.

The title also doesn't change hands every time. Look at AJ. Her next opponent is determined by who beats her in a tag match on Raw or whatever. Then she wins the title match. Hasn't done her any harm.

• Advertisement

Anyone else think there should be more MITB matches? With the lack of much really going on in WWE these days, could do with always having an up and coming guy carrying the briefcase. It did alot for both Ziggler and Sandow recently until WWE decided both guys weren't the ones for the job.

CSF wrote: »
    Anyone else think there should be more MITB matches? With the lack of much really going on in WWE these days, could do with always having an up and coming guy carrying the briefcase. It did alot for both Ziggler and Sandow recently until WWE decided both guys weren't the ones for the job.

Did it really? Both guys are arguable worse off now than they were before winning the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Honestly I'd be more in favour of scrapping MITB. It's become a crutch for WWE and they've used it to replace building up and pushing people properly.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Did it really? Both guys are arguable worse off now than they were before winning the cases.
    Yes. But during the time they had the case they were super hot stuff. Realistically, what needs to happen is the WWE needs to make better decisions in who they want to push when giving the case. It was the indecisiveness that ruined it.

If it was someone like Roman Reigns or dare I say it Bray Wyatt (the 2 young WWE darlings) carrying the case it would add something, because you would genuinely believe these guys could do something with the case (because they're visibly being pushed), which is a little bit more exciting than the weekly loves me/loves me not thing that is going on with Orton and HHH/Steph at the moment.

The days when you had number 1 contender matches regularly on Raw and even at PPVs made the whole thing alot more exciting and MITB is the best kind of number 1 contender match that WWE has to offer.

Honestly I'd be more in favour of scrapping MITB. It's become a crutch for WWE and they've used it to replace building up and pushing people properly.
    If they were doing a good job of the latter that would be great. But they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

MITB for a big boost by the unification of the world titles. Only one holder and likely to be a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

MITB has sort of replaced the Royal Rumble, the Royal Rumble used to go to up and comers, but since MITB the up and comers get MITB and more established stars win the Rumble

MITB has sort of replaced the Royal Rumble, the Royal Rumble used to go to up and comers, but since MITB the up and comers get MITB and more established stars win the Rumble

Dont agree with that at all.

Jim Duggan
    Big John Studd
    Hulk Hogan
    Hulk Hogan
    Ric Flair
    Yokozuna
    Bret Hart/Lex Luger
    Shawn Michaels - One
    Shawn Michaels
    Stone Cold - Two
    Stone Cold
    Mr. McMahon
    The Rock - Already a big name, but not massive so could maybe be counted
    Stone Cold
    Triple H
    Brock Lesnar - Again, already a big name but not massive
    Chris Benoit
    Batista - Three
    Rey Mysterio
    Undertaker
    John Cena
    Randy Orton
    Edge
    Alberto Del Rio - Maybe?
    Sheamus - Four
    John Cena
    Batista

So out of 27 (28 if you count Hart/Luger seperate) we've had four up and comers win it, as well as three that are 50/50 at best. Lesnar and Rock I'd go 70/30 in favour of them not being up and comers anymore. The Royal Rumble has always been about the big names with very few lesser names winning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Maybe up and comers is the wrong word, but it was the springboard for a lot of first time title wins, Austin, HBK, Benoit, Batista

I dislike the man, but I think JR or a man like him is horribly missed in today's product. He sold things very well, did a good job of making you hate the heel that bit more and generally made things seem that bit more epic.

Would be hard to say that King, Cole or JBL really add a huge amount to any superstar's character or any storyline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I dislike the man, but I think JR or a man like him is horribly missed in today's product. He sold things very well, did a good job of making you hate the heel that bit more and generally made things seem that bit more epic.

Would be hard to say that King, Cole or JBL really add a huge amount to any superstar's character or any storyline.

your not the first to say they dislike good o'ul JR on this forum care to tell us why ? i dont hate or love the guy but i have noticed over the past several years the split opinions on the man coming out across the web

ricero wrote: »
    your not the first to say they dislike good o'ul JR on this forum care to tell us why ? i dont hate or love the guy but i have noticed over the past several years the split opinions on the man coming out across the web
    Just from watching interviews of his over the years, he seems that bit more bitter and entitled than other people who have been discarded by WWE over the years, people who may have also had something left to offer too. Good at his job but not a man I would consider to have instantly likeable qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Just from watching interviews of his over the years, he seems that bit more bitter and entitled than other people who have been discarded by WWE over the years, people who may have also had something left to offer too. Good at his job but not a man I would consider to have instantly likeable qualities.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Sorry CSF, but he was a work horse who always bent over backwards for WWE and I never saw him as bitter. Loved the guy and thought his work during 96-2004 was great. TBH he got a bit sloppy and seem disinterested towards his end of his WWE tenure but overall a great worker.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with this more. Sorry CSF, but he was a work horse who always bent over backwards for WWE and I never saw him as bitter. Loved the guy and thought his work during 96-2004 was great. TBH he got a bit sloppy and seem disinterested towards his end of his WWE tenure but overall a great worker.
    I'm talking about post-WWE Jim Ross as being bitter.

Jim Ross was the best commentator in the business for a long ass time. Even now he would easily be top three at worst. He was rewarded by being humiliated and mocked on a regular basis. Easy to see why he wouldnt be too happy with them now that he has zero ties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

IMO JR is the best play by play guy of all time but I'm suspicious about how he really is. Like he's portrayed as the loveable yokel that gets embarrassed on TV but he was head of talent relations for many years. You don't get that kind of power being a docile easy-going guy. He hired and fired talent. Completely separate from his amazing commentary skills I think we only see the public image of JR but he must be a hardnosed shark to have made it so far in wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Everyone has their darkside even Jim Ross. I've heard he used to be a pr*ck when he was head of talent relations, believe he told Samoa Joe that he didn't have what it took or something. But i'd be surprised if there weren't any negative stories about JR in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There's no doubting JR's skills as a commentator, thats for sure. But there is a dark side there too, I'm sure I read about how he was backstage in someone's book (possibly Hardcore Hollys).

He does come across as very bitter sometimes, but then again, I think he is entitled to, after the way he was treated, time and again, both on screen & off screen, by Vince & the WWE

Always thought JR never seemed that pleasant an individual based on his blog and his Twitter.

Sting doesn't get enough credit for how great a promo he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Maybe because of the 12 months he was stuck above in the rafters?

I've always liked Sting on the Mic - he has good intensity in his promos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

My issue with Sting is he talks too fast. He doesnt give a chance for what he just said to sink in. He is quickly on to the next bit. Not sure if that is his doing, or if he is told to do it quickly for time reasons.

rovert wrote: »
    Pre TNA he was absolutely shocking. Rambling, losing his train of thought when he was younger. Understandably passionless during late period WCW.

TNA era he is/was pretty great.

Indeed. He's an interesting case. Early '90's his in ring work was great, late '90's he was a star attraction and 2006 on his promos were great but there was never really a time when he put it all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was thinking today after Viscera's passing. In terms of tag teams I love a duo made of differences. I think the dynamic between a small guy/big guy is great or even different styles like a brawler and a high-flyer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement