Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bayley's music and Bayley in general make me fast forward. Cringe.

There ain't no stoppin' us now, Id rather piss on the floor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I am the only one who hasn't been impressed with Balor since his return?

He seems to have lost that step of pace in the ring and his work has become sloppy. He's also gotten very lean looking, it's highlighted when he's in the ring with other wrestlers.

Listen I know he's 35 and is restricted in how he can work in WWE but still though I'm just not feeling him at the moment.

If only they'd signed him a decade ago.

He was great in the Finn v Seth v Miz match.

Yes, his persona is too much in the like me as I am likable and look great side but he can improve as he gets more comfortable. I dont think he is missing anything in the ring, just needs a feud and rivalry to get stuck into.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Watched the clip of Goldust turning on R-Truth and thought the commentators did a bad job during the segment. There wasn't any real emotion from them, that just looked like they were going through the motions and reading script. Just really bad and it kind've brought the segment down I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Omackeral wrote: »
    Bayley's music and Bayley in general make me fast forward. Cringe.

Lot of people seem to have turned against Bayley. Wasn't a regular watcher of NXT when she was there (only the Takeovers really) but the character was fine in that environment. Doesn't seem to have caught on to the same extent on the main roster.

She can't talk, at all. She might be the worst person on the mic in the company. So even if she's good in the ring, you can't help but roll your eyes when she gets so "Gee whizz, I'm a fan like you and it's great to be here" mic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lot of Corey Graves here hating on Bayley :pac:

But agreed, the "gee whiz/aw shucks" good wrestler, shtick needs changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think Bayley worked well in NXT because the relationship with the fans felt genuine. The wee girl dressed as her every week, the support she received while being presented as less important than Sasha, Charlotte & Becky and the stories of all her friends turning on her in order to get/stay ahead just worked and often made for compelling viewing. WWE Bayley lacks that crowd connection, has had no interesting stories and has been pushed just as strong (if not more-so) than Charlotte & Sasha. So she lacks character, connection & is absolutely awful on the mic. This is now made even more apparent when paired against Alexa Bliss who is the most assured character & best promo of the entire women's division imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think the big problem with Bayley is her run was rushed and then ruined when she first came up. They brought her up when Sasha got injured, but when it was revealed the injury wasn't as bad as they thought, Bayley got pushed to the side while Sasha had the long feud with Charlotte. And Bayley just hasn't recovered from that.
    But she also falls into the same problem a lot of faces do with people who are good on the mic. As a face she can only come back with how she loves the fans, etc. and can't act the dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

And to think Omack, I was gonna get you 2 Bayley buddies for xmas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lots of NXT personas dont work (on TV) outside full sail bubble.

Lots of them will connect at live/house shows but seeing them week in, week out on TV removes the appeal and brings apathy towards them from people watching them every week.

On NXT TV it was not unusual to see them in a TV scenario only a couple of times a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I can't stand Bayley cutting a promo. Alexa Bliss on the other hand is very very good.

Also, slight SDLive spoiler..ish
    Naomi's entrance for the contract signing last night on SDLive was way over the top. Especially when she got into the ring. So much cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Thing is that I think people forget is that TV crowds are usually drained to death and not responsive to many people, though it gets noticed if you're particularly looking out for one individual. Reigns is pretty much the only guy who gets reactions week-in, week-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Bayley was built so slowly on NXT that fans had a chance to sympathise with the character. She was given time to develop from the plucky underdog who was just happy to be there and in awe of actually being there, to gradually looking for respect and getting better and better. To me that sort of a character should actual play out way better on the main roster if done properly. I am a massive Bayley fan but was hoping to see her debut and barely win a match for the first 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the doc on Finn there and what I took from it is the WWE have a very talented bunch of guys/friends there that love the business and if they gave them a small bit of creative control and let them get involved in the booking of storylines they might just kick start a new era of popularity.

But I don't think the McMahons will sadly and we are going to be stuck with what we have now the same old boring boring boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I was a huge rvd fan when I was growing up but was watching some of his stuff lately and it's actually no were near as good as I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Is Naomi's name pronounced NIGH-omi or NAY-omi?

It's very irritating watching Talking Smack and you have Renee and Shane/Bryan both pronouncing it differently in the same conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

https://imgur.com/a/oRJUi

Some guy made a battle card trading game for himself and his friends. WCW & WWF cards. It really is amazing. I'd pay good money!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Angron wrote: »
    Main reason I'm surprised Tamina is still around is the fact that she's the daughter of a murderer, and I wouldn't think WWE would want to have ties to that. But she's never really had much of a purpose in the company, bar maybe that time she acted as AJ Lee's bodyguard for whatever reason.

She has always been awful, always assumed a key reason she is there is A, she costs peanuts and her firing might piss of the rock who is pretty close to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn't like the way the WCW rings sounded back in the day but watching 1999 WCW on the network it sounds so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Just watching an old 96 clip consisting of Taker, Michaels, Hart, Sid and Vader (with Stone Cold lurking in the background somewhere).

That's some wealth of talent. You wonder how Vince struggled so much with these guys at his disposal at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is Naomi's name pronounced NIGH-omi or NAY-omi?

It's very irritating watching Talking Smack and you have Renee and Shane/Bryan both pronouncing it differently in the same conversation

I'll go with Michael Cole's pronounciation of Nay-omi as if he got it wrong, he'd be shouted at in his earpiece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Ben Gadot wrote:
    That's some wealth of talent. You wonder how Vince struggled so much with these guys at his disposal at the time.

It's sort of like today to be honest. Like the WWE roster is absolutely stacked these days, easily the most talented in ring roster they've ever had. But similar to 96 the booking is all just a bit boring and kills the momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think the perceived problem with WWE is more down to overexposure than poor booking. I mean NJPW get a ton of credit for their booking, but they don't really do anything groundbreaking or that we haven't seen before (like their biggest angle of the past decade has been 'do the nWo...except in Japan!'), it's just that they run much less regularly and the vast majority of fans may only actually watch 3-4 shows in full per year tops, so it always seems fresh. WWE dug themselves into a corner with the amount of programming they've committed to producing, for example it's just next to impossible to produce a 3-hour weekly show that's compelling from end to end and has to stay fresh. It's definitely WWE's fault, don't get me wrong, I just don't know if it's poor booking that's responsible for many people feeling exhausted. The booking is fine, as good as anywhere else at its peak, in my opinion. It's just it can't all be on fire at the same time with so many different things to focus on so parts come off lacklustre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'll go with Michael Cole's pronounciation of Nay-omi as if he got it wrong, he'd be shouted at in his earpiece!

Dunno. How long did Regal get away with You-manga? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Was on the outskirts of Taipei today and saw a local lad wearing a Ryback feed me more shirt. Thinking about The Big Guy being popular here, and that guy proudly wearing his Ryback shirt gave me a chuckle and was a random wrestling thought

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I don't know what the point of Byron Saxton is. I'm watching backlash now and even as he's still talking I forget what he sounds like

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

are WWE Commentators full time or do they have the commentary jobs (Raw and PPVs) and then do desk work in WWE HQ ???

good gig too work 1/2 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jeremy Corbyn tweeting Zack Sabre Junior to thank him for all his support is my wrestling moment of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Clegg wrote: »
    Jeremy Corbyn tweeting Zack Sabre Junior to thank him for all his support is my wrestling moment of the year.

Such an unexpected thing

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,619 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Anyone know how well Finn's merch sales are going?

I seem to see more of his shirts on screen than anyone else's at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement