Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's ten years ago this weekend that Chris Benoit murdered his family and then took his own life. It's one of those "I know where I was" moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,176 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think they completely missed a trick on Seth Rollins. Could have been the ultimate heel if they'd made him a priority.

I dunno if other people feel this way, but when I look at him compared to say other heel indie darlings like Kevin Owens or Samoa Joe, he was so much better at temporarily making you forget that you think he is fantastic. Kind of like how The Rock did when he was a Corporation heel. Like Kevin Owens is great on the mic and he isn't bad at playing a bad guy, he is good, but for me at least you're still always rooting for him.

Rollins winning the title at Mania was probably the best WWE moment of this decade given how sure and disappointed the fans were that Reigns was walking out there as champ. But it felt like they were never willing to invest in him as the heel that could elevate loads of other faces and it all revolved around Reigns at the end.

But I think Rollins being the man would have elevated so many people and avoided the situation they have now where there's about 10 guys at roughly the same top status, but the gap between Cena, the parttimers and the rest has now widened greatly. Even when Rollins came back they could have invested him as the face to Reigns' heel and it would have been huge, but nah.

On that Rollins Mania topic, WWE commentary has a tendency to ruin big moments. Throwing in a 'who can capitalise' from Cole right before Rollins' music hits is just the worst sh*t ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's ten years ago this weekend that Chris Benoit murdered his family and then took his own life. It's one of those "I know where I was" moments.

Read it at the desk of my first Summer office job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember staying up and watching that weird Raw tribute show when staying over at my parents while back from college. I had just caught up with the news pre show and could also see the updates on line as the show went on. It was surreal.

My random thought is about the Draft as it does not seem like an annual thing. The original one was in July and I doubt they will have another one next month. I'd actually imagine that they have the rosters set till after next mania now after the "shake up" and maybe post mania the shakeup could become the date of the next draft. All the big feuds are played out and you need a fresh start and to seperate certain superstars. It's also the perfect time to start long term planning for the next mania and who needs to be on what brand with who.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Yeah I agree Bounty, I think they have the rosters more or less how they want them in terms of build to WM. Only big trade I can see on the cuff bar the Cena lark is Big Cass to SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I would say 2007 was worst year of Ruthless Aggression era. Besides Chris Benoit incident, you had The Great Khali as World Heavyweight champion and Cena/Orton every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

CSF wrote: »
    On that Rollins Mania topic, WWE commentary has a tendency to ruin big moments. Throwing in a 'who can capitalise' from Cole right before Rollins' music hits is just the worst sh*t ever.

In the moment after ~15 hard hitting minutes of that match it didn't feel out of place, Brock had just hit an F5 after taking the Super Roman surge, with hindsight it might seem out place but in the match and in the moment it made sense

With such a genuine holy sh1t moment like the cash in that line isn't the worst, Michael Cole has ruined many a moment or match but that isn't one imo

His extended "oh myyy" when Lesnar returns is one that always comes to mind, Edges return at RR 2010 he's the same

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

In the moment after ~15 hard hitting minutes of that match it didn't feel out of place, Brock had just hit an F5 after taking the Super Roman surge, with hindsight it might seem out place but in the match and in the moment it made sense

With such a genuine holy sh1t moment like the cash in that line isn't the worst, Michael Cole has ruined many a moment or match but that isn't one imo

His extended "oh myyy" when Lesnar returns is one that always comes to mind, Edges return at RR 2010 he's the same

His "for the love of mankind" line at Mania, when Shane jumped of Hell In A Cell, he should've stayed silent, but then again with Vince in his ear....

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    His "for the love of mankind" line at Mania, when Shane jumped of Hell In A Cell, he should've stayed silent, but then again with Vince in his ear....

It times like that I wish I was deaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

^^I swear Vince's line of reasoning must have been, "This'll give the marks some fan service!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That for the love of Mankind was the single cringiest line I've ever heard

CSF wrote: »

It just felt so unnatural. Pretty much every time WWE go to lengths to plan to try to do something with commentary to add to a moment, it ends up sounding so fake and scripted and actually takes away from the moment. The 'I've got goosebumps' line could take the excitement out of everything.

When they had JR he was able to make big moments huge with his commentary, but throwing out cheesy lines like 'who can capitalise' seconds before the biggest MITB cashin in history definitely goes and puts the thought in your head, particularly when there wasn't an internet message board out there where you didn't have people speculating about the remote possibility of Rollins cashing in.

You need seriously gifted commentators to make scripted commentary for big moments work at all. Michael Cole is not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I mean, hindsight is 20/20 and everything, but I remember watching that moment live in Woolshed and not one person saw it coming. What's funnier is that I'd spent weeks giving out that WWE had made the cash-in too obvious on TV beforehand, then by the time they actually did it, I'd forgotten about that and it was a complete surprise to me. So if commentary gave it away, well then it went right over the head of the few hundred people I was around, because we even have the video and that was a total surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Pentecost wrote: »
    Was a bit shocked to click onto our Intranet homepage today and see one of the main stories was "Meet WWE Superstar Sheamus". Not the location I'm in alas but he was in visiting today as a fundraiser on behalf of Temple Street Hospital.

I saw Sheamus eating in a restaurant in town during the week. His haircut stood out beside the Japanese dr!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If (and This is a huge huge if) wwe strike a deal too have Mayweather and McGregor appear on wwe Tv too talk up there aug matxg how do you see it playing out ??? Will Vince send out guys to get involved or will they let the 2 guys do there trash talking stuff. It's a win win for all parties but don't think it will ever happen

I imagine the Mayweather/McGregor promo will get interrupted by Big show (will warn McGregor how dangerous Mayweather is) and then someone will come out and speak up for McGregor ???. Can see someone like Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel coming out and getting attacked by both men

leggo wrote: »
    I mean, hindsight is 20/20 and everything, but I remember watching that moment live in Woolshed and not one person saw it coming. What's funnier is that I'd spent weeks giving out that WWE had made the cash-in too obvious on TV beforehand, then by the time they actually did it, I'd forgotten about that and it was a complete surprise to me. So if commentary gave it away, well then it went right over the head of the few hundred people I was around, because we even have the video and that was a total surprise.

Same it completely shocked me at that time because I was completely into the match, so kudos to Lesnar and Reigns for that because it's not often it happens its hard to turn off the smarky brain

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If (and This is a huge huge if) wwe strike a deal too have Mayweather and McGregor appear on wwe Tv too talk up there aug matxg how do you see it playing out ??? Will Vince send out guys to get involved or will they let the 2 guys do there trash talking stuff. It's a win win for all parties but don't think it will ever happen

I imagine the Mayweather/McGregor promo will get interrupted by Big show (will warn McGregor how dangerous Mayweather is) and then someone will come out and speak up for McGregor ???. Can see someone like Bo Dallas and Curtis Axel coming out and getting attacked by both men

Reigns comes out and knocks both down to make him look strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Drugs are bad.

WWE desperate for publicity if they've invited both Conor & Floyd..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

McGregor and may weather don't need to promote their fight on wwe.

It wouldn't make sense to either for them.

McGregor and may weather don't need to promote their fight on wwe.

It wouldn't make sense to either for them.

Don't know about anyone else, but it says something about the company if they feel the need to latch on to another huge sporting event to garner mainstream media attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Don't know about anyone else, but it says something about the company if they feel the need to latch on to another huge sporting event to garner mainstream media attention.

They are always using Celebs, Sports Stars etc to get eyes on the E.

DM_7 wrote: »
    They are always using Celebs, Sports Stars etc to get eyes on the E.

Well maybe if they'd manage to write somewhat logical stories/build rivalries from week to week, book their talent properly. Then they wouldn't need to get eyes on their product.

But that's just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Rewatched the jericho/hbk feud of 2008 recently but started with Batista/hbk feud and man that's an underrated feud some really good matchs and promos and was a great kick off to the greatness that was jericho and Shawn feud

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Well maybe if they'd manage to write somewhat logical stories/build rivalries from week to week, book their talent properly. Then they wouldn't need to get eyes on their product.

What about when they did it with Tyson in '98?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Positive mainstream attention is always desirable. They'd be doing this regardless of how well the booking is going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

sky88 wrote: »
    Rewatched the jericho/hbk feud of 2008 recently but started with Batista/hbk feud and man that's an underrated feud some really good matchs and promos and was a great kick off to the greatness that was jericho and Shawn feud

It is one of the last WWE feuds/storylines that was perfectly excuted from the start to end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Saw some lad who works in my local supervalue wearing and austin aries t-shirt . Got excited and tried to acknowledge him with the thumbs up whilst he was talking to another worker . I looked like abit of duffus lol.

Got a get me an Aries T-shirt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement