Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Saw some lad who works in my local supervalue wearing and austin aries t-shirt . Got excited and tried to acknowledge him with the thumbs up whilst he was talking to another worker . I looked like abit of duffus lol.

Got a get me an Aries T-shirt.

I remember being in a small shop in Dublin when I was wearing a Bullet Club t-shirt, and when I went up to pay the guy behind the counter "too sweeted" me, which I thought was really cool. I like meeting other wrestling fans out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Angron wrote: »
    I remember being in a small shop in Dublin when I was wearing a Bullet Club t-shirt, and when I went up to pay the guy behind the counter "too sweeted" me, which I thought was really cool. I like meeting other wrestling fans out and about.

I was walking through town in a Balor hoodie with headphones on. A dude walked up to me and I could see him saying "Balor! Finn Balor!" So I went to too sweet him. He just looked at me confused, so I kept walking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

leggo wrote: »
    I was walking through town in a Balor hoodie with headphones on. A dude walked up to me and I could see him saying "Balor! Finn Balor!" So I went to too sweet him. He just looked at me confused, so I kept walking.

Feels a bit odd that they wouldn't know that, but then I guess it's not really his "thing" in WWE, so if they didn't know any New Japan or anything it's understandable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This is a random thought but also a public service announcement to fans who may decide to try and watch the great khali wrestle.

Please don't. I thought it was bad when I saw it live at the time, but ten years later it's worse. I decided to watch the Punjabi prison match he had with Batista. I hope Batista got an extra bit of money for having to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

When I was in Detroit last year I saw a dude walking a pram in an old bullet club tee, I gave him the Prince Devitt gun pointing rocknrolla finger from across the street. Hindsight says that wasn't a good idea on the streets of the motor city, the guy proper legged it and people around me were not impressed!

• Advertisement

John cena made his debut on tv today in 2002. So it's his fifteenth anniversary of being on WWE tv. I don't remember if I saw it when it first aired but I did see it around that time.

I mean for those here who did see it, did anyone think he'd be a sixteen time world champion 15 years later ? I certainly didn't because ric flairs 16 world titles(yes I know there is a dispute of the actual number) was seen as the record that would be never equaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    John cena made his debut on tv today in 2002. So it's his fifteenth anniversary of being on WWE tv. I don't remember if I saw it when it first aired but I did see it around that time.

I mean for those here who did see it, did anyone think he'd be a sixteen time world champion 15 years later ? I certainly didn't because ric flairs 16 world titles(yes I know there is a dispute of the actual number) was seen as the record that would be never equaled.

I don't think anyone saw him hitting those heights as he was almost let go by WWE before he did the rap gimmick that initially started as a comic bit but which turned around his whole life.

I personally didn't see much in him until he did the heel rapper gimmick. It became clear pretty quickly once he started doing that gimmick that he would go on to become a WWE Champion one day. I probably wouldn't have expected him to be the face of the company for the next 15 years as there were still others around in 2003 that could have conceivably filled that role: Batista, Brock, Goldberg, Angle, Eddie, HBK, Benoit.

The repackaging was a huge moment for him and for the industry. He basically went from a vanilla guy to Vanilla Ice and has never looked back. Fair play to him for what he has achieved. I remember seeing him at a show in the Point in 2004 or 2005 where he did an angle that would set up Stone Cold coming to Ireland a few months later. During the angle Cena juiced after a chair shot. I remember thinking, 'Wow the guy bladed on a house show in Ireland.' I was impressed by that dedication. He probably didn't need to do that to sell the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Cianan2 wrote: »
    When I was in Detroit last year I saw a dude walking a pram in an old bullet club tee, I gave him the Prince Devitt gun pointing rocknrolla finger from across the street. Hindsight says that wasn't a good idea on the streets of the motor city, the guy proper legged it and people around me were not impressed!

That's brilliant. In Detroit of all places.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Are wwe bringing out 'the Kevin Owens story a little early or is it the right time ???

Going well the man has a good few years left in the company and will do some amazing stuff.

Hope he doesn't have a full out with the compamy like a certain CM Punk. They have similar temperaments and not afraid too speak out ??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071FGM3R7/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1498733891&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=kevin+owens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Are wwe bringing out 'the Kevin Owens story a little early or is it the right time ???

Going well the man has a good few years left in the company and will do some amazing stuff.

Hope he doesn't have a full out with the compamy like a certain CM Punk. They have similar temperaments and not afraid too speak out ??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071FGM3R7/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1498733891&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=kevin+owens

If there's plenty of ROH stuff on there, i'd be happy. Some back story with el Generico (what ever happened to that guy?) would be great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Unless I've missed something, I'd be stunned if KO went the same way as Punk. He can play a similar disgruntled character as Punk did (which essentially seems to be Punk's personality formatted for consumption), but in any interviews or anything I've seen of him he seems a guy who's happy with his lot, motivated by providing for his family and understanding WWE is the best way to do that. And I'd actually say that attitude is what could have him succeed where Punk didn't: right now I'd say his character is the closest we've had to heel Austin in 96/97 (totally believing his shtick but also ridiculously entertaining in doing so that a big face run seems almost inevitable) and it wouldn't shock me to see him main event Manias and be 'the guy' in the future. He's still relatively young, too, isn't he?

leggo wrote: »
    Unless I've missed something, I'd be stunned if KO went the same way as Punk. He can play a similar disgruntled character as Punk did (which essentially seems to be Punk's personality formatted for consumption), but in any interviews or anything I've seen of him he seems a guy who's happy with his lot, motivated by providing for his family and understanding WWE is the best way to do that. And I'd actually say that attitude is what could have him succeed where Punk didn't: right now I'd say his character is the closest we've had to heel Austin in 96/97 (totally believing his shtick but also ridiculously entertaining in doing so that a big face run seems almost inevitable) and it wouldn't shock me to see him main event Manias and be 'the guy' in the future. He's still relatively young, too, isn't he?

Yeah he's only 33. Sure AJ Styles is 40 and Y2J is mid 40's and there as good as ever

Looking forward to watching the doc, never watched him in the indies but I have really enjoyed him since he joined WWE. He has a great in ring personality, very talented in the ring and has a very bright future.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He could just pack it in once he builds up a nest egg. He reportedly hates time away from family.

Wouldn't be surprised to hear his push was held back a little to stop him achieving all his goals too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Not many enjoy time away from family, these are his prime years for making money as a wrestler, if he stays in a similar position on the main roster for the next 10 years thats them set for life

It's a real pity there's no off season for WWE though, or that talent aren't given 6-8 weeks off each at different off peak times, like this week AJ and Nakamura were only used in backstage segments that could easily have been filmed the week before allowing them to be at home should they wish

Not many enjoy time away from family, these are his prime years for making money as a wrestler, if he stays in a similar position on the main roster for the next 10 years thats them set for life

It's a real pity there's no off season for WWE though, or that talent aren't given 6-8 weeks off each at different off peak times, like this week AJ and Nakamura were only used in backstage segments that could easily have been filmed the week before allowing them to be at home should they wish

could be wrong but is his son slightly autistic ???

maybe thats a reason why hes doesnt like being away from his family and you cant blame him as its prob very difficult in his situation

could be wrong but is his son slightly autistic ???

maybe thats a reason why hes doesnt like being away from his family and you cant blame him as its prob very difficult in his situation

Remember hearing that, it shows the sacrifices of what these guys do travelling 300 days a year and what they miss out on and the fact their career choice affects the lives of all their family, hope in 15/20 years time that most of these guys don't regret their choices

Seen that Meltzer said Reigns v Lesnar for Mania next year may not be the plans, it probably is but they could also do Reigns v Cena with Reigns as champion and Cena going to break the record

I wonder if that would be received well or if it would be shat on like Lesnar v Reigns probably would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I wouldn't have a problem with Cena v Reigns with those stakes. In itself it's something new. I don't think it'd be shat on.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a problem with Cena v Reigns with those stakes. In itself it's something new. I don't think it'd be shat on.

would it ok and sort of original (they have fought a few times) but needs to be a heel vs face either way. Prob be heel/cocky champ Reigns vs face Cena

Nakamura vs Styles for the WWE title is also touted

I wonder what they will do with Lesner ??? maybe KO vs Lesner, another Joe vs Lesner ???

lovely got a copy of the KO doc, the main feature is only 1 hour long

Friday night viewing sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if it was Nak vs AJ and cena vs reigns for the two titles id be a happy man come mania season

The Kevin Owens was one of the best WWE documentarys I've ever seen, it was so emotional

I'm just watching bragging rights 2009 on the network and undertakers entrance whether it's 1991,2009, or 2017 that entrance is as unique in pro wrestling as you will ever see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Where can you watch Roh? Being a big Cody Rhodes mark Id like to see him as champ but have never watched Roh so why not give it a go I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They put their weekly show on their website for free

http://www.rohwrestling.com/tv/current

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Haven't paid attention to TNA in years but saw on Reddit that DeAngelo Williams had a match at Slammiversary. Initially rolled my eyes thinking it was a typical celeb/sportsperson in ring thing but apparently Meltzer was waxing lyrical about him...
    Dave: "This guy probably has the potential to be one of the greatest wrestlers I've ever seen."

Bryan: "That is absolutely true."

Dave: "Or maybe not quite, that's probably too much."

Bryan: "I don't know if that's too much based on what I saw tonight."

Dave: "I was just amazed at how well he'd float. Even, like, Matt Riddle, as great as he was right away, or Akiyama, or somebody like that, he was as smooth as they were, but he can do all kinds of athletic stuff that, at a level that even those guys couldn't do. Even like, Kurt a year in? Yeah, you know, was probably close to this. But I saw Kurt in Memphis, and he wasn't as good as this guy. And it's Kurt Angle. Maybe Owen Hart? Maybe Owen Hart, I can say that. But, that's almost an unfair comparison because Owen Hart was practicing this stuff from the age of twelve probably, because he had a ring. This guy, it's unbelievable how good he was."

Didn't watch the full match but he looks comfortable from watching these 30 seconds...

Surprised WWE didn't pick him up. They regularly try NFL guys and Williams is pretty high-profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I know nothing about the guy and I genuinely thought he was just a regular pro. He showed a lot of skill, smooth and purposeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,617 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looked very slick and like a seasoned pro right there.

A pure natural athlete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

JR in 2017 is not good. Infact a lot of the time he's actively bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I pointed it out during the last UK championship special I think. He needed help from Nigel a few times on that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement