Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The Great Khali is the 7th highest paid full time superstar earning $974,000 a year. F U Bryan.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-10-wrestlers-salaries-wont-believe.php/5

Warning the website has can have two video ads per page that un-mute themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Those lists are very rarely legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

At what point did Xavier Woods become the F'N man?!

Edit:I'm post 666. I'm obviously the devils favourite demon now!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The New Age Outlaws have only wrestled at WrestleMania once. That's a shocker to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think more heels should point at the Mania sign rather than faces. Its been done to death so many times now I feel it could be a nice heat drawing device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Edit:I'm post 666. I'm obviously the devils favourite demon now!

you are #665 - you are the neighbour of the beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

you are #665 - you are the neighbour of the beast!

Damn! Showed up as 666 on the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Damn! Showed up as 666 on the phone!

If you were looking at the thread from the forum page it is 666 posts but 665 replies or something like that.

Or someone deleted a post from the thread to make you look silly, but noone around here would ever do that cos abusing mod tools for sh!ts and giggles is bold. Spoilsports.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

I'm watching some old "Saturday Night's Main Event" episodes. Every promo and conversation seems to begin with "dya know somethin'......" or "let me tellya somethin' "

Also they had one strange angle where a wrestler (Hercules) was sold into slavery and had to wrestle for his freedom. :eek: I don't think you'd see that in todays WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Hematocyte wrote: »
    Also they had one strange angle where a wrestler (Hercules) was sold into slavery and had to wrestle for his freedom. :eek: I don't think you'd see that in todays WWE.

Is that not pretty much what happened with Michaels and JBL a few years back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is that not pretty much what happened with Michaels and JBL a few years back?

"I own you, do as I say" happened again recently... Can't remember who. Although with Hercules they'd actually use "traded like a slave" in commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Y
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    IMO JR is the best play by play guy of all time but I'm suspicious about how he really is. Like he's portrayed as the loveable yokel that gets embarrassed on TV but he was head of talent relations for many years. You don't get that kind of power being a docile easy-going guy. He hired and fired talent. Completely separate from his amazing commentary skills I think we only see the public image of JR but he must be a hardnosed shark to have made it so far in wrestling.

He's very diplomatic onluke in his blogs, interviews and on podcasts. He still acts as a mark for WWE and Vince McMahon despite how terrible he was supposed to have been treated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You often hear people saying they would worry about the WWE giving an Irish wrestler an overly Oirish gimmick but I'd honestly love to see the Irish Wrestlers paired together in a faction if Devitt ever did sign.

Devitt the technician / Leader (perhaps future leader at first)
    Sheamus the Brawler / Muscle
    Finlay the Mentor
    Rebecca Quin (Becky Lynch) as the female member, she does have links to Devitt anyway iirc

just keep Hornswaggle the hell away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

You often hear people saying they would worry about the WWE giving an Irish wrestler an overly Oirish gimmick but I'd honestly love to see the Irish Wrestlers paired together in a faction if Devitt ever did sign.

Finlay the Mentor
    Rebecca Quin (Becky Lynch) as the female member, she does have links to Devitt anyway iirc

It would be more logical to make Sheamus the leader, since he's a former WWE and World Heavyweight Champion.

That being said of course, they could do things like the Real Americans and have Dave Finlay as the manager/mentor and Sheamsu and Devitt tag team with each other, but also pursue singles titles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

The less nationalism in wrestling/WWE the better, especially of the Irish variety.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Finlay the Mentor

Nope you as often hear people putting Irish people in factions just as much. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Jester252 wrote: »
    The Great Khali is the 7th highest paid full time superstar earning $974,000 a year. F U Bryan.

http://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-10-wrestlers-salaries-wont-believe.php/5

Warning the website has can have two video ads per page that un-mute themselves

Would that be because he sells a lot of merchandise, etc in India? He probably gets a percantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Would that be because he sells a lot of merchandise, etc in India? He probably gets a percantage.

All those salary figures are genuine bull****.

Drew McIntyre's single leg drop kick is the greatest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think its time WWE changed the set designs for Raw and Smack down. The current designs were introduced in January 2008 to coincide with their first HD broadcasts.

Is this the longest a set design has been used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think its time WWE changed the set designs for Raw and Smack down. The current designs were introduced in January 2008 to coincide with their first HD broadcasts.

Is this the longest a set design has been used?

the current Raw set is different to the 2008 one though isnt it? or slightly anyway, same basic layout with different bits and bobs on it. I do think they should totally overhaul it though, keep it fresh every 2-3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They put their word title on Punk for over a year, the longest reign in 25 years, they put him against Taker's streak at a WM (the biggest match on the card these days), top guy with a tour bus and a big salary when you factor in his 2011 contract. All the PPV's defences.

I really hope that this is some sort of play because how could you really defend the guy if it's not? Handsomely rewarded for doing his dream job, and he hasn't exactly brought back the widespread mainstream attention wrestling got with Hogan or Austin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't think WWE fully got behind Punk for most of his title reign - he spent more than the first half as a heel working mid-PPV whilst Cena worked the main event, then as face, repeatedly wrestling Ryback and Del Rio. He does deserve all of those perks for working v hard and being talented, but saying that, he has become extremely successful (and so has 'less of a gripe' than say Kofi or other perennial mid-carders). I quite respect a guy willing to give up his spot and big payday before Mania because 'how it is' isn't good enough. Especially since he could coast til July instead of giving up his royalties.

As an aside, nobody can bring Hogan/Austin levels of attention as WWE are extremely safe and in general put out an embarrassing child-friendly product. (But still make ~$45million/year) Besides WrestleMania as a brand, sure only celebrities can bring widespread mainstream attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

To me Punk was given a Chris Jericho type reign. Someone who held the top championship in the company and should have been King of the World. Yet WWE never got behind him entirely. I read in his book, that at one point Vince complained about Chris and was talking about taking the belt off him earlier then happened, but Chris got angry and yelled at Vince. Either way, the spotlight was never truly on Chris either, it was still on the Rock, Stone Cold, NWO and Triple H more then him.

But at least CM Punk got a much longer title reign, and didn't drop back down to being an upper mid-carder like Jericho did. He was still treated like a top star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Best theme ever yeah?

Random Fact: Yoshi Tatsu's last Televised victory was in February...... 2012! It's been over two years since he won on TV.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Random Fact: Yoshi Tatsu's last Televised victory was in February...... 2012! It's been over two years since he won on TV.

I dare you to try to do the same for JTG.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I dare you to try to do the same for JTG.

May 2012. Ironically, against Yoshi Tatsu :pac:

Well I think we have our WrestleMania conundrum sorted if Taker ever does lose. Tatsu vs JTG for the streak...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I think the product these days looks too "clean", I liked how messy certain aspects of it were years ago, the crowd sitting much closer to the ring, the railings, the lighting etc. It's kinda hard to describe but I much prefered the attitude era look to the HD one where everything is super shiny and all the sets look alike etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement