Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    One thing I'll say about the Joey Ryan 'dick' spot from Wrestlerama is that it was a remarkable sell job by Foley. From what I've heard, he had a medic wrap his hand up the next night in Belfast and only shook hands lightly at the meet and greet as it was causing him too much pain. It's great to see that Foley is showing these youngsters how to sell effectively and keeping kayfabe alive.

I think on this occasion fans would be okay passing on the handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Coincidentally, I'm finally getting through GLOW on netflix and Joey made an appearance with Alex Riley.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was watching a Perry Saturn interview recently where he spoke about his match with Goldberg at Spring Stampede 98. This was the first long form match Goldberg had at 12 minutes.

Bischoff asked Terry Taylor who would be the best lower card worker to drag a long match out of Bill. He suggested Saturn.

I watched it myself recently, it was actually a very good match, Saturn lead him from start to finish.

He says in the interview that when he walked back through the curtain Eric walked up to him shook his hand and informed him that he was going to give him his yearly contract bump 8 months early.

His income went up by $100,000 for that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I showed it to a friend who is more of an MMA fan but a lapsed fan in the sense of having watched during the Attitude era. His response was to ask me why I still watch that stuff (meaning wrestling). I had to explain that this sort of thing embarrasses me as a fan and told him to instead look up what Brock did on Raw as he is aware of who Lesnar is.

You are right that it's all subjective. That's what makes the whole discussion largely pointless. I won't convince those in the camp that thinks it's hilarious that it's trash that has no place in the business, and likewise they won't convince me that this sort of thing is a positive.

You just come across like you care WAY too much what other people think though. Being a wrestling fan is cool again, own it. It'd be such a shame to live through an era when being nerdy was actually the 'in' option and to still act like you're in the closet and ashamed of your fandom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I was watching a Perry Saturn interview recently where he spoke about his match with Goldberg at Spring Stampede 98. This was the first long form match Goldberg had at 12 minutes.

Bischoff asked Terry Taylor who would be the best lower card worker to drag a long match out of Bill. He suggested Saturn.

I watched it myself recently, it was actually a very good match, Saturn lead him from start to finish.

He says in the interview that when he walked back through the curtain Eric walked up to him shook his hand and informed him that he was going to give him his yearly contract bump 8 months early.

His income went up by $100,000 for that match.

I always rated Saturn, he was my favourite out of the Radicalz. His stuff in ECW with the Eliminators was epic, springboard moonsaults, stratosphere elbow and the devastating Total Elimination. When he went to WCW he added more bulk and became a bit of a suplex machine. By the time he got to WWE he was prob a little too muscular but all in all I enjoyed his body of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

So ryans dick flip was wrong?

what about OTT womens champ martina doing her vagina flip or her mandible claw with a condom on her hand?

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Im not saying more on that topic but.... I did find Cody talking about it interesting

23m start point:

"There is a wrestle thought process and a promoter thought process...The Wrestling Joey does is offensive to me....I've enjoyed the matches I've had with him"

There's a fella on reddit on r/squaredcircle at the minute running a series of disturbing stuff that's happening in wrestling rings. I'm not gonna link any here as they're truly vile. Some of them involve meat clearers, stabbing each other in the head with skeweres and bumps onto nails. If anything deserves outrage , it's that type of ultraviolent gick.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Presumably those who stab each other and use slams into nails would make a defence along the lines of, it gets a pop from fans, it "puts smiles on people's faces" to use Mick Foley's line, and that people are paying to see them thus allowing them to make a living.

This is why this whole debate really when we get down to it all boils down to where a person's personal line in the sand is. If someone says to me, focus on that stuff and not dick spots, what they are basicially saying is, "the dick spot doesn't offend me but that other stuff does, so your line in the sand is too strict." Where it becomes an emotive issue is that for some of us, certainly speaking for myself, I find all of the above stuff objectionable, trashy, and offensive, and I fear to say that if we normalise some aspects of this stuff and give it credibility, e.g. when respected wrestlers involve themselves in it, then it further opens the door for a whole bunch of other stuff.

Ultimately it all comes down to an individual's taste and what they believe goes beyond the pale when it comes to their perception of wrestling. I remember on Cornette's podcast once, Brian Last mentioned a spot from an I Quit match on the indy scene where one guy pulled a gun on his opponent and pointed it to his opponent's head and this was what led to him saying "I Quit". I personally find that objectionable and a lowering of the bar, but maybe there's people out there who would see that as reasonable and nothing to get bothered about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

People are allowed like what they like, if someone makes a statement like "X wasn't to my taste", then you'll rarely see much hoopla about it, on here, Twitter, Facebook, whatever. Most people respect personal taste.

It's when people start overrating the importance of their opinion or getting hysterical and saying stuff like "(The thing I don't like) is why wrestling is dying" without any actual evidence of such. Once you cross into that zone you're actually weakening your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's a fella on reddit on r/squaredcircle at the minute running a series of disturbing stuff that's happening in wrestling rings. I'm not gonna link any here as they're truly vile. Some of them involve meat clearers, stabbing each other in the head with skeweres and bumps onto nails. If anything deserves outrage , it's that type of ultraviolent gick.

Every day I say I'm not looking at the next one but I always do.

The one with light tubes that took a chunk out of the guy's back almost made me look away for good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kurt Angle is turning/morphing into Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Kurt Angle is turning/morphing into Eugene.

How?
    The speech thing is very likely health related.

ERG89 wrote: »
    How?
    The speech thing is very likely health related.

Goofy smile the hand gestures and when they went backstage after the Sasha Nia match he was acting like Eugene for me while looking at the screen cheering for Sasha as that was the result he wanted for summerslam.

He also seems to have the same attention span as Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

If a guy comes out as part of the locker room to stop a fight that guy belongs outside the uppercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

764dak wrote: »
    If a guy comes out as part of the locker room to stop a fight that guy belongs outside the uppercard.

Plus one, it makes them look like geeks. Esp heels, I dont see why a heel would care enough to break up a fight.

How long before Vince brings in an Aryan Brotherhood stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gallows & Anderson and erm....Titus and Apollo get out there with those guys dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

When he brings out Trump again, this time with his family?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

What will he do when they're getting more over than the faces they're against

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I wonder if Dolph Ziggler is on his way out of the company. He has been "jobber to the stars" with NXT callups for the past year or so. I can tell from Smackdown thread that nobody cares about him anymore.

He was always considered as one of the best in-ring talents in WWE when the company never had that many top level indy names that you see on NXT or main roster today.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

I wonder if Dolph Ziggler is on his way out of the company. He has been "jobber to the stars" with NXT callups for the past year or so. I can tell from Smackdown thread that nobody cares about him anymore.

He was always considered as one of the best in-ring talents in WWE when the company never had that many top level indy names that you see on NXT or main roster today.

They blew it with his last IC title reign, made the feud a big deal and people bought in to him for the first time in so long. That ended up being such a huge let down that I can't see him ever getting that momentum again. He might just be happy to get a nice steady pay and sit it out as I dont see him being released without asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

They almost bought TNA!

hceJyWh.png

(Aroluxe employ the Harris brothers, both have SS tattoos.)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

Genuinely not related to the above posts....

I came to post that the 2 wXw lads signed by WWE this year are going to be megastars. They being Aleister Black and Axel Dieiter Jr currently going by his real name Marcel Barthel.

I'd rate them higher than any of the other recently signed European male wrestlers signed and im extrememly high on both Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate.

Their match against each other at 16 carat 2015 is one of my favourites ever. Really hoping for a WWE fued between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

How would Brock have been viewed if his Summerslam 2014 beating of Cena was instead his comeback against him at Extreme Rules 2012

I wonder will Wade Barrett return to NXT soon?

Crazy to think Heath Slater is the only member of the original Nexus still wrestling in the WWE.

Is Darren Young still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Curtis Axel and Bray Wyatt were both in Nexus, though under different names

I find it even crazier that (NXT Takeover spoilers)
    Out of the members of 3MB, Heath is the only one who isn't the brand champion, even though the other 2 were previously released.

They were brought in after Cena joined so I wouldn't consider them part of the original members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Crazy to think Heath Slater is the only member of the original Nexus still wrestling in the WWE.

Even more crazy is that at first he looked like a guy who wasn't going to amount to much. Just a jobber for the group who would probably be released eventually, and would have an insignificant career. But now I think Slater is one of the most underrated wrestlers in the company. He still is essentially a jobber, but he's embraced it and managed to turn it around in his favor. Loved his work with the returning legends a few years ago, and his work last year was really good too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement