Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZZwHCNHqhu/

Holy **** that's not wrestling it's brutality

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MINUS 5 STARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It was pretty sound of him to give that numbing injection in fairness, he looked like he was in a lot of pain.

martyos121 wrote: »
    It was pretty sound of him to give that numbing injection in fairness, he looked like he was in a lot of pain.

A lot was ****ed up in that video esp the spot when the guys head was being cut by the knife

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Ah Thumbtack Jack! He's the guy taking the syringe through the cheek. You'll be surprised/glad to know that he works for WWE Germany now. He also had a particularly brutal match based off the saw movies in Germany a few years back with Drake Younger who is now a ref for NXT :)

I'm certainly in the minority, but I love the deathmatch stuff and am pretty good friends with Matt Tremont from CZW, meeting him in Japan soon :D

• Advertisement

Ah Thumbtack Jack! He's the guy taking the syringe through the cheek. You'll be surprised/glad to know that he works for WWE Germany now. He also had a particularly brutal match based off the saw movies in Germany a few years back with Drake Younger who is now a ref for NXT :)

I'm certainly in the minority, but I love the deathmatch stuff and am pretty good friends with Matt Tremont from CZW, meeting him in Japan soon :D

How are they sanctioned??? It's brutality and one thing gone wrong could be fatal. are they trained in a certain way to hit with weapons etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How are they sanctioned??? It's brutality and one thing gone wrong could be fatal. are they trained in a certain way to hit with weapons etc

Not entirely sure on how they're sanctioned but they mostly operate out of New Jersey and Delaware for Tournament of Death. Most other States don't seem to allow or host them. The ones in Japan are honestly far more gruesome.

Now from speaking to a lot of the deathmatch guys, a lot of them are into body modification etc. so are well used to the needles/cuts from that kind of stuff. In fact, some of them get a little adrenaline buzz from the pain and kind of enjoy it as messed up as that sounds. The argument from a lot of them is that it's easier to take a few cuts that will heal no problem rather than continuous bumps that can be life changing.

Obviously there are some drink/drugs involved too and I'd imagine quite a few suffer from some sort of depression. Another aspect is the pay and notoriety I guess, they get paid a little more to do deathmatches and it's perhaps a little easier to make a name for yourself doing it.

I'll be attending a couple of events in Japan in a few weeks which are sure to be insane and I generally go to CZW's Cage of Death every year too but not sure I can make it this year. Will do some write ups on them if people are interested.

Not entirely sure on how they're sanctioned but they mostly operate out of New Jersey and Delaware for Tournament of Death. Most other States don't seem to allow or host them. The ones in Japan are honestly far more gruesome.

Now from speaking to a lot of the deathmatch guys, a lot of them are into body modification etc. so are well used to the needles/cuts from that kind of stuff. In fact, some of them get a little adrenaline buzz from the pain and kind of enjoy it as messed up as that sounds. The argument from a lot of them is that it's easier to take a few cuts that will heal no problem rather than continuous bumps that can be life changing.

Obviously there are some drink/drugs involved too and I'd imagine quite a few suffer from some sort of depression. Another aspect is the pay and notoriety I guess, they get paid a little more to do deathmatches and it's perhaps a little easier to make a name for yourself doing it.

I'll be attending a couple of events in Japan in a few weeks which are sure to be insane and I generally go to CZW's Cage of Death every year too but not sure I can make it this year. Will do some write ups on them if people are interested.

Would these organisations host shows every week or is it every few weeks etc ???. Can imagine if you has to go through that a number of times a week you would suffer very badly in later life

Would these organisations host shows every week or is it every few weeks etc ???. Can imagine if you has to go through that a number of times a week you would suffer very badly in later life

Oh the schedule for these is pretty light, CZW do one show a month for example but there are a few promotions that do deathmatches and generally you'll see the same names doing them. On average I guess most would have maybe two deathmatches a month.

There are also deathmatch tournaments however which can be brutal, usually with the wrestler competing in 2-3 matches in a day. Matt Tremont who is arguably the biggest deathmatch wrestler in the US has now stopped doing tournaments altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What kind of salary would Michael Cole, Renne Young, Charly and the other non wrestling presenters be on?

• Advertisement

What kind of salary would Michael Cole, Renne Young, Charly and the other non wrestling presenters be on?

A good bit I'd say, Cole is supposably very high up in WWE

I have an assumption that presenters on only 2 times a week max and have the rest of the week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

id say cole is easily into 6 figures as hes supposedly one of trips right hand men

no idea about the other guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sky88 wrote: »
    id say cole is easily into 6 figures as hes supposedly one of trips right hand men

He's the lead WWE announcer and has a production role, and has been with the company since....1997? I'd be shocked if he wasn't into 7 figures by now. I'll ask Mookie he's good with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Didn't Cornette say that they were paying Todd Pettengill over 300,000 a year in the mid 90s. Supposedly because he was a real media guy with no phony wrasslin background.

Around the time Pettengill left he recommended Cole as his replacement.

I believe Cole has duties aside from announcing in the company these days so it's not inconceivable that he's earning high 6 figures to 1 mil.

Mookie got back to me, I grossly over-estimated. He does business analysis for WON/VOW (as well as unearthing wrestling lawsuit stuff) so I trust his opinion/stats.

https://twitter.com/mookieghana/status/912344689566732294

https://twitter.com/mookieghana/status/912345787258085376

I was thinking $500k myself but If Cole is getting in and round that much then I'm then guessing Renee and the rest of the girls are on €30 to €50k give or take so not great money but good exposure and they make a good bit of scratch with the Instagram, Twitter etc product placement.

WWE need some more tag teams as right now that's the best division they have on both brands before the teams that are killing it right now get same old same old.

Bring in or make a few more teams and have the teams you already have start to jump brands before they become stale.

Cole has to be on 500k+. Wages are a lot higher in the US and considering his position in the company nevermind the onscreen stuff I can't see him being on less than half a million.

Some of those guys would only work 2/3 Days a week and then off for the rest of it but id say some backstage on air staff have other wwe related duties??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Must be a slow day in Titan Towers that someone produced this video package:

There is little chance that Hawkins will ever get over though. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

WWE need some more tag teams as right now that's the best division they have on both brands before the teams that are killing it right now get same old same old.

Bring in or make a few more teams and have the teams you already have start to jump brands before they become stale.

The tag matches have been amazing this year. I'm very excited for New Day vs Usos at Hell in a Cell. And you're dead on with your suggestions, as those are the things the WWE has done to make the tag divisions so good. Putting Sheamus and Cesaro together has been great for both of them. Cesaro is such a good tag team wrestler. Reuniting Ambrose and Rollins as a team has rejuvenated both of them and made them interesting again. The New Day were becoming stale on Raw and the move to SmackDown has revitalised them, and given the Usos a great rival. Hopefully the Gable/Benjamin partnership will work well, though I still wish they hadn't broken up American Alpha.

They've been unlucky as well with the injuries to the Revival, and now to Jeff Hardy. Though when the Revival return there's a new set of fresh matches there. Then there's the Authors of Pain to come up to the main roster. I hope they don't break up Cesaro and Sheamus anytime soon, as they work so well together.

• Advertisement

Imagine if they trailed a WWE 400 where it's all guys near 7ft and over 400 pounds ???

I'd love it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I was thinking $500k myself but If Cole is getting in and round that much then I'm then guessing Renee and the rest of the girls are on €30 to €50k give or take so not great money but good exposure and they make a good bit of scratch with the Instagram, Twitter etc product placement.

With Renee particularly, keep in mind both that she does Total Divas (so would likely get a premium for that considering the amount of invasion of her personal life and the exposure it brings) and her experience beforehand as a TV host. I'd say she's earning low six figures, or at least 80-90k. The amount they use her as well suggests they're looking to get their money's worth on an investment. She was a really good get for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Imagine if they trailed a WWE 400 where it's all guys near 7ft and over 400 pounds ???

I'd love it

Just watch WWF pre Shawn and Bret at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Saw this on my Twitter timeline and the more I think of this would be awesome and now I need to see it

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/913923283736768512

Along with Paul Ellering give him one last main event run.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

With no Brock and Reigns seemingly going back to the Shield it would be a good way to regain momentum for Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Just remembered Trent Barretta's awesome bump from WrestleKingdom 11 this January gone.
    https://twitter.com/trentylocks/status/816829974342533120

While I was looking for that I stumbled upon another sick bump from Trenty. As someone who didn't really watch at that time, what went wrong with him in the WWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Colt Cobana recently said that Dr Amann's lawsuit against CM Punk and Colt are still ongoing and it's costing him a lot of money. It all goes back to that podcast where Punk ranted about WWE and claimed Dr Amann misdiagnosed him and basically defamed him.

I'd say Colt is starting to regret doing that podcast now. Especially if what I hear is true about Punk and Cobana not even being friends anymore. I'm kind've sympathetic towards Colt because it was Punk who said it, but Dr Amann blames him as well for giving Punk a platform to views his thoughts on Colt's podcast.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Colt Cobana recently said that Dr Amann's lawsuit against CM Punk and Colt are still ongoing and it's costing him a lot of money.

Seems like WWE just trying to hurt Punk/Cabana the only way they can, by frivolous expenses. I can imagine maybe half a million in court expenses really puts a strain on your friendship. Especially if Colt didn't actually say anything (which is ludicrous that he should be in WWE's lawyers crosshairs). That's like suing YouTube because you didn't like a video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know it's early days but was wondering if anyone has any good ranting posts from any users here from this year if they could link me via PM. I've already got a couple in my lockbox for the end of year awards but if anyone has any off hand they can think I'd appreciate it :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement