Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Here's a fresh one for ya Omack.

I'm sick to death of people telling me that old chestnut you guys have all heard before "you know its fake,right?".

I'm always going back at em with the same line. " and EastEnders/Game of thrones/harry potter which you love is what? As factual as the nine o clock news?"

People don't get what I mean then when I say it's about suspending my disbelief.
    That all I want is a good storyline feud with a proper ending. Plenty of good promos and a match/matches where both men or women work well together. I don't watch wrestling as a must watch I watch it by choice. The same people who choose to watch soaps and TV series that are fictional but post on social media how they can't wait for the next episode to come out coz they need their fix don't get that I enjoy wrestling for that very reason. I like it,end of.

I don't judge people by the music they listen to or the team they support so I'm not gonna judge them for watching a certain type of TV programming either. So how very dare they judge me for watching pro wrestling(and they do judge you!)

My late wife never watched it with me but never discouraged me either. But some of my family and hers were so obtuse about it. I have close relatives who get embarrassed if I discuss,along with her father who called me a big child :-).

To these people I say fook off. If you don't like it, fine don't watch it or partake in a discussion about it. But what gives you the right to judge me for how I spend my spare time.

Rant Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I think Jinder Mahal is better at character than Finn Balor.

Runs......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Finn bores me something terrible. His run as NXT champion was the pits for me. Bland. Prob not his fault, they've given him nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

With Finn you've got an elite wrestler who has no real direction atm and a feud that's just an artificial face/heel schtick with a bit of paint and Wyatt ranting thrown in

There's so many of these cases across WWE now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

With Finn you've got an elite wrestler who has no real direction atm and a feud that's just an artificial face/heel schtick with a bit of paint and Wyatt ranting thrown in

There's so many of these cases across WWE now

I haven't been watching the show at all for a while, but if Bálor is still as wooden on the mic as he was when I stopped, then he's probably never going to be that big. Pushed, maybe, but not to a point where he's really over.

briany wrote: »
    I haven't been watching the show at all for a while, but if Bálor is still as wooden on the mic as he was when I stopped, then he's probably never going to be that big. Pushed, maybe, but not to a point where he's really over.

Who gets over as your atypical face these days anyway? He needs the club or something to give him a bit of bite, focus or direction because all he has atm is "i'm the best wrestler and i'll beat you, or maybe ill get painted up and dance to the beat"

For me Balor just hasn’t got the personality to be a top wrestling character. He can go in the ring and Ive no doubt he is a genuine nice guy, but hes missing a big part of what makes you a top wrestler. He looks so nervous in backstage promos and even more so when speaking in-ring. He just doesn’t have it.

You can give him a big entrance, a stable and any other bells and whistles, but hes lacking a skills to truly connect with the crowd from a character POV.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    but hes lacking a skills to truly connect with the crowd from a character POV.

AJ Styles was the very same from his debut up until his heel turn last year

Look at the AJ Styles that did the "Y2 Jackass" thing and the cocky jock he turned into as the face that runs the place, they're like 2 different people. Now that he's a face again, he's mostly back to the plain old im the best wrestler and ima prove it guy"

Balor is sinking as a face but it's the WWE style for faces it's not just a Balor thing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mic skills seem to be more of a bonus than a requirement right now. Jinder and Reigns would put you to sleep and they're top of their brands.

Finn is good in the ring, the internet fans still like him and he probably has a big female following. He's fine for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finn is just bland bland bland he needs that heel turn and bring the Club back together he can hide his lack of mic skills behind Gallows & Anderson who can talk.

The Shield vs The MizBar vs The Balor Club in a three way war for 6 to 8 months finishing in the WWE's first ever War Games.

AJ Styles was the very same from his debut up until his heel turn last year

Look at the AJ Styles that did the "Y2 Jackass" thing and the cocky jock he turned into as the face that runs the place, they're like 2 different people. Now that he's a face again, he's mostly back to the plain old im the best wrestler and ima prove it guy"

Balor is sinking as a face but it's the WWE style for faces it's not just a Balor thing

Perhaps your right, and I hope your right for Finns sake. I just havent seen 1 decent promo with him ever. With AJ I always felt he was comfortable with speaking, whether it be his hick boofoon in TNA, to his Y2Jackass promos, to his promos with Cena, where as Finn comes off as a man who is nervous, unsure of himself as he rattles off a scripted promo.

He doesnt look confident.

Now before someone wants to play the Irish begrudgery card, im rooting for Finn. Hes a down to earth guy who is very talented as an in ring competitor. I want him to succeed.

I just cant see him as a top guy. He hasnt got the over the top, larger than life persona to launch himself into a deserving main event spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

tbh it seems like with the over scripting these days its just highlighting guys like finn, roman, rollins the list goes on that dont seem comfortable on the mic

these days there are very few wrestlers who are cutting great promos consistently

beakerjoe wrote: »
    unsure of himself as he rattles off a scripted promo

This boils down to WWE never having long term plans. Does Finn have a notion what he's supposed to be doing at Mania? Does he know that he's booked to win the feud with Bray and if he performs there he'll get a title match in the December PPV

It's hard to be sure of yourself when you're handed a script out of thin air 20 mins before you go out, some can make it work but Finn can't and it's a WWE failing in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Add me to the list of people who find FB boring, whether its leather jacket guy or demon. The Summerslam match with Seth I enjoyed a lot, and massive props considering his injury. But I just find him bland most of the time. I know the obvious thing to say is... turn him with Anderson and Gallows, but sometimes the obvious choice is the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Totally disagree with others here. I find Finn good on the mic. He has that something that makes me want to listen. He was woeful originally but now he seems very confident doing it. It shows and they give him more segments.It is noticeable that the crowd doesn't "what" him so they are listening at least.

The problem he is having is that there is not much to do or respond to. Brays rambling incoherent promos leave Finn having to say what he is saying. That Bray is all about mind games.What else can he say back, in a pg era.

It is very hard to do a face promo now as they cant make fun of the other guy.It will always be easier to be a heel.

I can't stand Reigns but he is another that has really improved on the mic. It shows if you do it often enough that you can relax and roll with errors. He makes a few flubs but rolls with it.He forgot his lines totally with Cena a while back and Cena said it out! But then he got back on track and was fine.Its his limited wrestling that I don't like. He has got better but still has a very limited moveset.

My other thoughts are.....

I had zero interest in the cruiserweights and fast forward through them until Enzo was there.

No interest in the new day or the usos. I buzz through them too.

Not interested in Dolph Ziggler or Sami Zayn either. More guys I buzz through! 2 of them need a total makeover.

This shows that everyone sees things differently as people will now say they love them!

I have no interest in any of these "classics" They seem like standalone events that mean nothing. Didn't watch the cruiserweight one or the women one.If the winner showed up on Raw or Smackdown and made a statement by flattening someone I might go back and watch. But they don't and it doesn't mean much.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I would say interrupting one of those breast cancer title ceremony things and doing a promo would prob be a extreme heel stunt and would get people talking but it would never happen and whoever done it would get the door straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Well if they did it, it'd be because they were told to so they wouldn't get fired for it?

leggo wrote: »
    Well if they did it, it'd be because they were told to so they wouldn't get fired for it?

True but imagine doing it without been told

PTH2009 wrote: »
    True but imagine doing it without been told

What would be the point? What would motivate someone to do that. I cant see where your coming from at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

sky88 wrote: »
    tbh it seems like with the over scripting these days its just highlighting guys like finn, roman, rollins the list goes on that dont seem comfortable on the mic

these days there are very few wrestlers who are cutting great promos consistently

The slide in promo quality is very evident here. CM Punk's one of the best talkers of his generation, but Steve Austin just wrecks him, and it doesn't even look like Steve is trying all that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Finn is just bland bland bland he needs that heel turn and bring the Club back together he can hide his lack of mic skills behind Gallows & Anderson who can talk.

The Shield vs The MizBar vs The Balor Club in a three way war for 6 to 8 months finishing in the WWE's first ever War Games.

NXT from this week's news
    testing the waters for bringing it up to the main show?

NXT from this week's news
    testing the waters for bringing it up to the main show?
    Perhaps, no sign of The Balor Club being formed just yet. Id say its at least 6 months away from the main roster, thats if it ever makes it.

Im surprised it wasnt done sooner to be honest. I wonder whats Vince's hang ups on it? Purely because its a WCW invention? More costs with 2 rings and a reduced live audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Rollins' new finisher is terrible.

I think he's lost a little something on the whole ever since they took away the Curb Stomp.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Rollins' new finisher is terrible.

I think he's lost a little something on the whole ever since they took away the Curb Stomp.

I miss the little blonde bit in his hair

I've a friend who watches the big events from time to time and can't warm to Rollins because he's got the same wet black hair look like Reigns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I love all stories like this. I love people chasing their dreams and love it when they are successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Nakamura has been a huge let down since he moved up.

jrkb wrote: »
    Nakamura has been a huge let down since he moved up.

He's over with the crowd but sadly there's something lacking. Looking like his out of the WWE title picture now and will go into a possible tag team programme with Orton or feud with Rusev

Looking forward too see him in Dublin though and he will sure get a great reaction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Both he and Finn just have not been given much to do in terms of what was written for them since they were brought up (excluding Finn's first few pre injury weeks). Throw Nakamura into a program with AJ styles with a slow burn to Mania and give Finn a storyline with the club and everyone would be loving it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement