Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

x43r0 wrote: »
    Did she go under the knife recently? I haven't been paying much attention to her lately

She inflated her chesticles about 12 months ago or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If it's her social media you can't stand, there's a very simple solution to that like...

leggo wrote: »
    If it's her social media you can't stand, there's a very simple solution to that like...

I don't follow her social media like...

But it's everywhere I follow. Reddit is filled with the likes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Too many times a turn feels forced. Like, why would a wrestler go from high fiving fans and playing fair one week, to slagging off their sports team and cheating to win the next? It lacks a certain internal logic to see that kind of sea change in personality, just because they had a dispute with their former tag partner or whatever. I like these transitions to have a bit more nuance, and, indeed, the best transitions should require very little behavioural modification at all. Kurt Angle's a fantastic example of someone who started as a face, quickly transitioned to heel, and then eventually became a face again, without ever really changing all that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Did Angle start as a face? I recall him being insufferable from the get go, but also recall it being intentional. Correct me if I'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Did Angle start as a face? I recall him being insufferable from the get go, but also recall it being intentional. Correct me if I'm wrong!

If I remember correctly he started off with the 'first real athlete in the WWF' moniker which they knew would piss people off so I would say he started as an arrogant heel who thought he was a face type character

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Angle's initial character was a guy who thought he was a babyface but is really a heel. The official story is that he couldn't get his head around this because he assumed everyone would love an Olympic gold medalist, so Vince just sent him out there with that in mind and let it happen, but that sounds a bit Hogan/Andre "I didn't know if he'd let me win until he didn't kick out brother".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

leggo wrote: »
    Angle's initial character was a guy who thought he was a babyface but is really a heel. The official story is that he couldn't get his head around this because he assumed everyone would love an Olympic gold medalist, so Vince just sent him out there with that in mind and let it happen, but that sounds a bit Hogan/Andre "I didn't know if he'd let me win until he didn't kick out brother".

I think that goes back to Kurt first meeting JR and Vince in 96 right after he won the gold medal and WWE offered him a mega Mark Henry like contract, which Kurt turned down to be a sports news reporter. Kurt was under the impression in 96 that the fans would love him as an olympic medal winner and that nobody on the roster would be able to hang with him. Im sure by 99 when he had debuted and spent time training with Dory Funk Jr he was well aware of how he would be perfect as a heel who thinks hes a face.

A funny story with Kurt was, when he met Vince he said he'd sign, but he couldn't lose. He didn't see how he could be able to lose, being an Olympic Gold medallist.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is one of my favourite Kurt stories. Patterson was talking to Hunter and they began mulling over the idea of putting the WWF title on Angle. HHH was saying nah man, he's too small, nobody will believe it, it's not realistic. To which Pat said, well what do you think would happen if you tried to take him down for real!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

How long before The Miz overtakes Chris Jericho's record 9 time Intercontinental Championship wins?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    How long before The Miz overtakes Chris Jericho's record 9 time Intercontinental Championship wins?

In the next few years I reckon. Miz has elevated the belt quite a lot, and always brags about its prestigousness, harkening back to the old days where the belt meant a lot. He does a phenomenal job when he is the champ talking about how much the belt is worth and being arrogant about holding it, which shows the old saying that the belt is just a prop, if you're the champion you have to use it, and Miz uses the prop so damn well. He elevates what was in the last few years seen as a lower mid card belt to get a guy a push to what it should be, a proper mid card title that creates storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The_Mac wrote: »
    In the next few years I reckon. Miz has elevated the belt quite a lot, and always brags about its prestigousness, harkening back to the old days where the belt meant a lot. He does a phenomenal job when he is the champ talking about how much the belt is worth and being arrogant about holding it, which shows the old saying that the belt is just a prop, if you're the champion you have to use it, and Miz uses the prop so damn well. He elevates what was in the last few years seen as a lower mid card belt to get a guy a push to what it should be, a proper mid card title that creates storylines.

As of right now, Intercontinental Championship > Universal Championship. Hell Cena (i think) said it best...
    It's not the title that makes the man, the man makes the title

And Miz is absolutely proving it right.

Guess he drops the belt May 2018, assuming all goes well for Maryse, he goes away for a bit cause 1st time dad and all that. I'd say he'll beat Jericho's record of 9 before or after Mania 35 in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Jericho vs miz at mania could be a great feud. can set it up nicely with miz claiming to be the greatest champion ever

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    Jericho vs miz at mania could be a great feud. can set it up nicely with miz claiming to be the greatest champion ever

The match wouldnt be pretty though. A past his prime Y2J vs a never been great Miz.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate listening to Becky Lynch's voice. It makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

You gotta like the thumbnail of this match for jobber celebration at the end.

It reminds when WWE had a lot of bad gimmick going on during this time like The Dicks, Kerwin White, Spirit Squad, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just thinking were the Cruiserweights told the plans for the division before the final of the CWC and that's why Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre jr didn't sign?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just thinking were the Cruiserweights told the plans for the division before the final of the CWC and that's why Kota Ibushi and Zack Sabre jr didn't sign?

I think neithier wanted to sign as they can get more money elsewere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »
    I think neither wanted to sign as they can get more money elsewere

Best move for both. Better off wrestling Tanahashi for the 2nd biggest title in NJPW than playing dress up on 205 live with left over, dated Halloween props

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone know what the average buyrate for an ECW PPV was back in the day? I remember Heyman stating that they were owed hundreds of thousands from their PPV supplier when the company folded in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Im watching some Smokey Mountain wrestling on the network, its glorious, truly glorious.

New Jack given props to OJ Simpson saying there is two less they have to worry about. What the hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sirsok wrote:
    Im watching some Smokey Mountain wrestling on the network, its glorious, truly glorious.

Is there any Cowabunga match on there?

ERG89 wrote: »
    Best move for both. Better off wrestling Tanahashi for the 2nd biggest title in NJPW than playing dress up on 205 live with left over, dated Halloween props

Honestly ive never gotten the big deal with sabre jr just does nothing for me anytime ive watched him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is triple h doing a better job as head of talent relations than JR was ???

JR came as very grumpy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is triple h doing a better job as head of talent relations than JR was ???

JR came as very grumpy to me

Better ? I don't know about better but he's probably going about it in a different way simply because he was an in ring competitor,which would give a different outlook on things. From what you see in the NXT videos is a different kind of respect for him than JR probably would have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

When I was younger I thought Triple H and Hogan were the same person

I thought the Triple H stood for Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Kids eh

I think Bryan will win his game of chicken with WWE once the contract is up and it will benefit all involved tremendously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I think Bryan will win his game of chicken with WWE once the contract is up and it will benefit all involved tremendously.

What game is that, I want to wrestle again?

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    What game is that, I want to wrestle again?

Yeah.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement