Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I think that now that James Storm has left TNA he would be a good fit for the new NWA as someone to give legitimacy to the NWA title. Although Storm v Storm would be weird to read a report on.

Completely disagree. The last thing the NWA needs is an ex-TNA talent as World Champion right now. Bring him in as a challenger and hopefully pop a decent number on youtube (I hear last nights match with Tim Storm vs Magnus already has 33k views) but the next NWA World Champion needs to be a young, vicious heel who absolutely destroys Tim Storm and can hold the belt while Billy and Dave Lagana build up their new babyface face of the NWA going forward.

I have no idea who the heel could be or who they will choose as their long term face of the company but I do like what they are doing right now. The NWA Title is more relevant right now than it has been since the early days of TNA and they just need to keep building with Tim Storm right now so that when he loses its a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

LeeJM wrote: »
    Completely disagree. The last thing the NWA needs is an ex-TNA talent as World Champion right now. Bring him in as a challenger and hopefully pop a decent number on youtube (I hear last nights match with Tim Storm vs Magnus already has 33k views) but the next NWA World Champion needs to be a young, vicious heel who absolutely destroys Tim Storm and can hold the belt while Billy and Dave Lagana build up their new babyface face of the NWA going forward.

I have no idea who the heel could be or who they will choose as their long term face of the company but I do like what they are doing right now. The NWA Title is more relevant right now than it has been since the early days of TNA and they just need to keep building with Tim Storm right now so that when he loses its a big deal.

That's a good way of doing it. I was reading on some site about how they thought Storm should keep the title and lose it to the next face of NWA, but your way would establish both a top heel and face rather than just moving from one face to another without much direction (still think James Storm is a good fit for NWA though :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

That's a good way of doing it. I was reading on some site about how they thought Storm should keep the title and lose it to the next face of NWA, but your way would establish both a top heel and face rather than just moving from one face to another without much direction (still think James Storm is a good fit for NWA though :D)

James Storm is a well established name and he would be a good get for NWA but not to be World Champ IMO. He would perfect as the secondary title holder if they have one. Personally I can see WWE picking him up and throwing him on NXT and working the Florida loop as an experienced guy for the PC guys to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With Finn possibly facing Brock at Mania, does that mean we have to rely on the Rumble match to have Finn, Joe, AJ and Nakamura face off?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

LeeJM wrote: »
    James Storm is a well established name and he would be a good get for NWA but not to be World Champ IMO. He would perfect as the secondary title holder if they have one. Personally I can see WWE picking him up and throwing him on NXT and working the Florida loop as an experienced guy for the PC guys to work with.

There was the NWA north american championship which Jeff Jarrett held in WWE in the late 1990's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There was the NWA north american championship which Jeff Jarrett held in WWE in the late 1990's.

Still going with the same lineage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWA_North_American_Heavyweight_Championship

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

CastorTroy wrote:
    With Finn possibly facing Brock at Mania, does that mean we have to rely on the Rumble match to have Finn, Joe, AJ and Nakamura face off?

??? I would have thought Brock vs Finn at the Rumble myself.

Figured they'll stick with Brock vs the Big Dog for Mania

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With Finn possibly facing Brock at Mania...

Is this a rumoured possibility? I must have missed it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Should just have the three Shield lads as the main event. Three people we will see the next Monday after Msnia weekend is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

DM_7 wrote: »
    Should just have the three Shield lads as the main event. Three people we will see the next Monday after Msnia weekend is over.

Why does that matter though? That's just something CM Punk said was important (because it suited him wanting more money) and fans took as gospel. WWE book regular guy vs part-time guy all the time and, unless they have bigger picture plans for the part-timer, usually put over the regular guy. So they get a bump off beating (or at least being seen as on par with) a 'legend'. Wrestling has always worked this way, it's only since Punk's interview that it was seen as a problem. And that interview was entirely self-serving drivel based around the premise that the entire wrestling world should revolve around Punk.

• Advertisement

x43r0 wrote: »
    Is this a rumoured possibility? I must have missed it

Rumoured and then the way Heyman named him in his promo on Monday and Finn mentioning it previously as well seems to imply there'll be something happening there at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone remember Bushido, a program they used to show on Bravo in the late 90s? It featured wrestling from the UWF, a Japanese 'Shoot style' promotion where wrestlers used a style employing leg strikes, catch wrestling and a lot of suplexes. It was worked, but it looked really real to me at the time. The American wrestler Gary Albright used to feature on it quite a bit and used an absolutely devestating-looking full nelson suplex as his finisher of choice. Looked like it would just about break the neck of his opponent whenever he pulled it off.

leggo wrote: »
    Why does that matter though? That's just something CM Punk said was important (because it suited him wanting more money) and fans took as gospel. WWE book regular guy vs part-time guy all the time and, unless they have bigger picture plans for the part-timer, usually put over the regular guy. So they get a bump off beating (or at least being seen as on par with) a 'legend'. Wrestling has always worked this way, it's only since Punk's interview that it was seen as a problem. And that interview was entirely self-serving drivel based around the premise that the entire wrestling world should revolve around Punk.

Nothing to do with Punk. You can see by my inability to spell Mania at the time that it was a quick post rather than a long post explaining why.

I have thought for a long time that the Rocks, Triple H's, Goldbergs should not always be on Mania to be the main event, sometimes they need to be there to get eyes on the other guys that are there all the time (well apart from injuries, suspensions and illness!)

The Shield reunion should lead somewhere and in my opinion now is a really good time to put them all against each other again but on the Mania stage.

We already had Brock v Reigns in that spot, with Brock as Champion.

Reigns could win the title at the Rumble and go in as Champion for a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

briany wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Bushido, a program they used to show on Bravo in the late 90s? It featured wrestling from the UWF, a Japanese 'Shoot style' promotion where wrestlers used a style employing leg strikes, catch wrestling and a lot of suplexes. It was worked, but it looked really real to me at the time. The American wrestler Gary Albright used to feature on it quite a bit and used an absolutely devestating-looking full nelson suplex as his finisher of choice. Looked like it would just about break the neck of his opponent whenever he pulled it off.

I saw that on eurosport (I think) about 10 years ago or more (whenever the wrestling channel was around) I was in my late teens/early 20s and couldnt understand what I was watching. My main memory was of feeling uneasy watching it because I kept expecting someone to break their neck. And this was back when I used to enjoy CZW and didnt find that too violent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How does Zack Ryder still have a job?

He can't work and sells poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I wonder is Jamie Dundee 's WM13 story true. He claims that himself and wolfie only got a 100 dollar payoff.

Just watching Survivor Series back and I can't begin to describe how much I despise Randy Orton.

For a guy who's considered one of the top draws on Smackdown he is absolutely irrelevant, and has been for many years.

Last time I was interested in him was when he committed domestic violence and RKOed Stacy Kiebler.

If you look back over the past few years any storyline he has been involved in has flopped terribly, and his many title reigns are bookends to an overall story.

Some people will defend him and say he's a great worker, but again I can't remember a match of his in the last 5 years that had any modicum of interest attached to it.

So, in essence - f*ck off Randy, you boring waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah! He needs to get back to what he's good at...beating women! Then I'll be back on board! ;) :pac:

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah! He needs to get back to what he's good at...beating women! Then I'll be back on board! ;) :pac:

At this stage he just needs to go away. Him and Wyatt both. Their angle last year was a horrible time in PW for me:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Usos are one of WWE's biggest successes over the last few years.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

They are great these days, even their trash talk on the way to the ring at Survivor Series is so natural. The way they can be presented as an equal to a guy like Sheamus, with all his accomplishments, is a credit to them.

Orton could do with chatting to Sting to see how he came about a reinvention when his gimmick was up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I was really tired of them for a long time, but then when they had the heel turn they really seemed to shift gear and have been pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Think Randy may have been put out to pasture if the RKO outta memes didn't take over the internet for a good while. Could be wrong, but it had to work with in his favour.

I'm thinking Kurt gets booted as Raw GM tonight, and will eventually jump ship to join the Smackdown roster. Some cool possible matches if he does. Jason Jordan could say his Dad just left him all over again adding more fuel to that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think for wrestlers, Orton is probably the benchmark career-wise. Millions of dollars for fúck all effort comparatively. Amble around the ring for 10 minutes, RKO for the crowd pop, go home.

But I'm not a wrestler so I have no issues hating him on my screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ya, Orton's the posterchild of 'coasting on incredible talent'.

It's such a shame his character has been the same/bland for the best part of a decade now, and on twitter/bts he seems like a cheeky c**t! (his back and forth with KO is hilarious)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Unintentional hilarious Randy is best Randy
    2543288_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Randy hasn't looked like he has enjoyed himself for years now he is just going the numbers every night to collect his paycheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

A lot of WWE wrestlers went to WCW on lucrative contracts, but how many were able to take that money and achieve financial security with it?

Surprised when the likes of the Usos do superkicks that some of the crowd don't shout "Superkick!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Rare example of how good a brand split can be if used correctly to elevate talent or let them go back to the drawing board.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement