Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How fun would it be if the Bucks sent a cease and desist letter to the WWE for using Superkick Party in commentary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surprised when the likes of the Usos do superkicks that some of the crowd don't shout "Superkick!"

Why would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

What's it going to take for Ring of Honor to sell out a 10K seater outside of the Bullet Club?
    Bryan Danielson return match?
    A super duper card with NJPW?

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/932397327431667714

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

DM_7 wrote: »
    Why would they?

Think it was during NJPW or ROH that I was watching where Young Bucks did a number of superkicks and the crowd all shouted "superkick" each time. And since the WWE crowd have a bad habit now of shouting "Sweet", I assumed this would make its way over as well

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

What's it going to take for Ring of Honor to sell out a 10K seater outside of the Bullet Club?
    Bryan Danielson return match?
    A super duper card with NJPW?

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/932397327431667714

Might as well aim for 20k and go for Danielson vs. Punk. :D

I jest, but if either man wrestle again, it’s very likely to be in ROH in my opinion, for very different reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Unless bryan or punk appears they wouldnt have a chance at filling a 10k stadium yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cody vs Green Arrow of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's not that crazy of a notion that they could sell 10,000 tickets for one show when you consider much smaller markets dealing with reduced resources can still pull huge numbers (4,000-ICW, 2,000-OTT) for one-offs. OTT will have run three 1,500+ shows this year alone. Progress are running Wembley next year.

If they got Okada in a Champion vs Champion match that's a start. Omega in a big match that he'd sell the **** out of would probably get the job done on top of that. Is Jericho up for grabs? He's already working with ROH on the cruise...

Bryan coming back would seal the deal, if Punk could get out of his UFC contract (which I imagine is just a case of him asking since he doesn't have much currency left there) then it wouldn't 100% shock me if he came back on a match-by-match basis to help build a legitimate competitor to WWE (but NJPW are that competitor, all of ROH's increase in growth is down to them and they can pull the plug at a moment's notice if they decide to). If they got one or both of them it's a no-brainer.

What interests me is that, if this is a legitimate plan and not just posturing, it's an incredibly stupid move on Cody's part. He just risked spooking WWE into letting Bryan wrestle again and ruined the potential coup ROH could've gotten. WWE are reactive as hell these days, look at how quickly they nixed World of Sport when they got a TV deal. It wouldn't surprise me if I woke up tomorrow to an announcement that they're doing Bryan vs Shane at the next PPV now.

A supershow with guys like Punk making a cameo could certainly fill a stadium in the right city.

Would be good for wrestlers if some Supershows happened to raise their profiles and make them some money. I doubt anyone will be competing with WWE like WCW did but promoting one off shows could do very well.

Don't rule out NJPW. When wrestlers start taking them seriously as competition and they actually can make good money working NJPW and the indies, it starts to become real. WWE could crush them in theory, but they're not. And I don't ever see NJPW selling up, especially now, which is WWE's ultimate nuclear move with competitors. There is a HUGE market for adult wrestling fans, they just need to figure out how to connect better with English speaking markets and balance making their product accessible and mainstream enough without alienating current fans (the biggest challenge). Something big is happening though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

leggo wrote: »
    What interests me is that, if this is a legitimate plan and not just posturing, it's an incredibly stupid move on Cody's part. He just risked spooking WWE into letting Bryan wrestle again and ruined the potential coup ROH could've gotten. WWE are reactive as hell these days, look at how quickly they nixed World of Sport when they got a TV deal. It wouldn't surprise me if I woke up tomorrow to an announcement that they're doing Bryan vs Shane at the next PPV now.

Bryan not wrestling is a result of the medical diagnosis of Dr Maroon. If Maroon deems him fit to wrestle with WWE, then he will; if not, he won't. What happens on the independent scene will have nothing to do with it. They are not going to act against the wishes of their own top doctor.

Bryan not wrestling is a result of the medical diagnosis of Dr Maroon. If Maroon deems him fit to wrestle with WWE, then he will; if not, he won't. What happens on the independent scene will have nothing to do with it. They are not going to act against the wishes of their own top doctor.

I'd have believed that until they sped up Angle's in-ring clearance to save a PPV. That's what makes this story interesting: they either go against their doctor after years of responsible decisions on health or hand a big company making huge inroads in the US a top star who's closed out a WrestleMania. If you're not seeing that then you're missing the big picture.

I'd have believed that until they sped up Angle's in-ring clearance to save a PPV. That's what makes this story interesting: they either go against their doctor after years of responsible decisions on health or hand a big company making huge inroads in the US a top star who's closed out a WrestleMania. If you're not seeing that then you're missing the big picture.

Angle was cleared to compete while Bryan wasn't. There really is no conspiracy here. If the doctor thought Bryan was good to go he'd be in there wrestling already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Angle was cleared to compete while Bryan wasn't. There really is no conspiracy here. If the doctor thought Bryan was good to go he'd be in there wrestling already.

If Bryan has to pass a WWE approved brain screening with Dr. Maroon to be cleared and not a privately booked one (this type of pedantry is a staple of WWE), then there’s a good chance they haven’t even given him the opportunity to be cleared in a good while. Based on Bryan’s tone when discussing the matter, it doesn’t appear that Vince is actively trying to get Bryan cleared. If it was solely Dr. Maroon blocking his path back to a WWE ring, I don’t think he’d be threatening to jump ship to ROH or NJPW so often.

Last time he spoke about it (August) he mentioned that test results showed his brain was similar in condition to the average college American football player, so, a fit and healthy athlete in their late-teens, very early twenties. Considering his own age, it seems that his pro-wrestling career is much softer on the head than most would realise, considering a college player that makes it to the NFL can play for a steady number of years depending on position, but I digress. He also said that he was getting HBOT treatment and if he keeps going with that, his brain would look like it had never been involved in contact sports before. Quite frankly, it seems like he could easily return and have another few years in him without finishing that treatment, provided the rest of his body held up. By the time he finishes that treatment, his contract should be up anyway so it’ll be moot as he’ll be cleared without any issues by a smaller-scale promotion.

I really don’t know the specifics of the situation any further than Bryan told them and a top neurologist somewhere might be able to disprove him, but I find it hard to believe that he’s being treated fairly about this by his employer. Call it conspiracy if you like but it’s nowhere near the first instance of a popular pro-wrestler being shackled by Vince for his own personal reasons, whatever they may be.

The idea for Angle to come back was made on the Thursday of the week of TLC, he was given a medical on Friday and it was announced on Friday afternoon, he wrestled on the Sunday. There was no Plan B with that kind of timeframe. After months of being with the company holding him back from wrestling due to health concerns, they dropped all of that within 24 hours because they needed someone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The idea for Angle to come back was made on the Thursday of the week of TLC, he was given a medical on Friday and it was announced on Friday afternoon, he wrestled on the Sunday. There was no Plan B with that kind of timeframe. After months of being with the company holding him back from wrestling due to health concerns, they dropped all of that within 24 hours because they needed someone.

Wonder what they would have done if he hadn't been cleared to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Watched a bit of Raw a few nights ago for the first time in years just made me think how good the early 00's wrestling was.

Angron wrote: »
    Wonder what they would have done if he hadn't been cleared to compete.

That's what I'm saying: I think the doctor was told to clear him regardless, the timeline didn't allow for anything else. You can't do neck and brain scans and get conclusive results in a day like! He wasn't ready to wrestle that night, you can see that clearly (nearly braining himself on a ****can - which is a basic move even trainees can do handily), and they did the injury angle to protect him from having to bump. It's all kinds of dodgy and shows that there is flexibility within WWE's strict medical policy when need be. I'm not saying that's right or what I want, it's just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I think once the possibility of Bryan wrestling again suits McMahon then the possibility will become more real.

The reality is that right now, a Bryan on the active roster does not suit McMahon's long term plans at all, as it gives the fans further reason to rebel on a massive scale.

You could see this happening even in Bryan's final stint where he was kept at a certain level as to not interfere with Reigns' ascendency. He even had to pass the torch to him...lol.

The problem however is that by the time it suits McMahon Bryan will probably be elsewhere.

If I had to put money on it either way, I'd narrowly give the edge to him wrestling in WWE within a year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's what I'm saying: I think the doctor was told to clear him regardless, the timeline didn't allow for anything else. You can't do neck and brain scans and get conclusive results in a day like! He wasn't ready to wrestle that night, you can see that clearly (nearly braining himself on a ****can - which is a basic move even trainees can do handily), and they did the injury angle to protect him from having to bump. It's all kinds of dodgy and shows that there is flexibility within WWE's strict medical policy when need be. I'm not saying that's right or what I want, it's just the way it is.

Ah, sorry, didn't see what you were getting at. Yeah, it's pretty messed up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Of all the great match ups you'd imagine Bryan could put on with the roster now, my great fear is that they spunk his return match at WM on a drizzling pile of crap with Shane. As has been seen recently, they love to give the McMahons their big moments.

Lads, Dr Maroon is the guy who oversaw Bryan's neck surgery years ago. He is not part of a Vince McMahon-led conspiracy to keep Bryan out of action. The idea that Vince is ringing up a world renowned top doctor and "leaning" on him to keep Bryan from wrestling again is preposterous. Bryan has a lesion on his brain and has had seizures in the past. Also the idea that they rang up a doctor to pressure the doctor into clearing Angle for a TLC show (TLC of all shows!) is equally ridiculous. Think about it logically.

Meltzer is a horrible source for this story, he's not good on CTE and struggles to understand and report on the issue with it. If you're into learning about CTE, follow NFL discussions on it as they're much further along (the journalists that is, not the NFL themselves who are a disaster and covered it up for years).

I've no issue with Dave as a reporter but this is one area he's woefully undereducated in.

Don't or didn't we have a medical professional on here before? They'd be much better qualified to comment on whether you can test for brain and neck injuries within a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Meltzer has being bluffing for a number of years now would take most of what he says with a pinch of salt and anything he gets right is pretty much common knowledge anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

When did Shane McMahon become a supercena type? Am I remembering incorrectly or during the attitude era was his whole shtick that he was the obnoxious rich guy that needed his friends' help to hold on to his European title? He was never seen as a threat to the "real" wrestlers, but now, almost 20 years later, we are to believe he can take on the main eventers?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

When did Shane McMahon become a supercena type? Am I remembering incorrectly or during the attitude era was his whole shtick that he was the obnoxious rich guy that needed his friends' help to hold on to his European title? He was never seen as a threat to the "real" wrestlers, but now, almost 20 years later, we are to believe he can take on the main eventers?

He takes them on, but he never really wins does he? Taker, AJ, Owens, SS

Back in the day he was good for a storyline for a main eventer who was slumming it in the middle of the card in between title pushes like Big Show, DX or even Angle. Add that to his being from the Attitude era and the fact that he was away ages and got one of the bigger pops in so long on his return and that his name is McMahon and thats why he only fights big names now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Well he wrestled Kurt Angle all by himself at King of the Ring 2001 and was able to hang with Angle in this match so I would say Shane is more then capable of going toe to toe with other wrestlers.

My only real problem with his Survivor Series' performance was how he no sold Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn's beat down.

Meltzer is a horrible source for this story, he's not good on CTE and struggles to understand and report on the issue with it. If you're into learning about CTE, follow NFL discussions on it as they're much further along (the journalists that is, not the NFL themselves who are a disaster and covered it up for years).

I've no issue with Dave as a reporter but this is one area he's woefully undereducated in.

Don't or didn't we have a medical professional on here before? They'd be much better qualified to comment on whether you can test for brain and neck injuries within a day.

Where is the day thing coming from?

Perhaps he was cleared ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

DM_7 wrote: »
    Where is the day thing coming from?

Perhaps he was cleared ages ago.

Angle was cleared in a day is it ? Wouldn't he have to pass a medical before he signed ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement