Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,616 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can see them selling out a 10k venue with the right card.

Would they have the balls to do it WM week in New Orleans with the best of Japan coming over to face the best of the world's non WWE contracted wrestlers they know the crowds would be there that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If they could get Bryan on the card, then very likely, doubtful without him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

Is Bryan still a draw though? I am not fussed if I never see him wrestle again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I have it on good authority that he's nothing but a B+ player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Not sure if news or random I'll go with random but Macaulay Culkin got involved in an indie show and helped pin Hornswoggle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Not sure if news or random I'll go with random but Macaulay Culkin got involved in an indie show and helped pin Hornswoggle

Trust me that’s random!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Never knew Kevin McAllister could wrestle :pac:

Should Sheamus start to *campaign behind the scenes to get the Intercontinental Championship it really is the only title he is missing from a HoF career.

*(Maybe he is already)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

You’d expect he’ll get it at some stage. He’s doing great stuff with Cesaro at the moment so you wouldn’t want to break them up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If he wins the IC, he'd be a grand slam champion and a KOTR, RR and MITB winner.

Huge achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Should Sheamus start to *campaign behind the scenes to get the Intercontinental Championship it really is the only title he is missing from a HoF career.

*(Maybe he is already)

Doubtful he is or ever would, it's unprofessional and being a mark for wrestlers to care about those kind of things. If you happen to achieve them anyway, throw up a tweet sure to celebrate your accomplishment, but that's about the extent of it. Belts are props, wrestlers should care about getting paid with money first and foremost.

leggo wrote: »
    Doubtful he is or ever would, it's unprofessional and being a mark for wrestlers to care about those kind of things. If you happen to achieve them anyway, throw up a tweet sure to celebrate your accomplishment, but that's about the extent of it. Belts are props, wrestlers should care about getting paid with money first and foremost.

So you don't think Cena will be saying Vince I want 17th world title or HHH will be trying to stop that happening or maybe still trying to get it himself?

Or those guys that get released don't use titles they had in the WWE to advertise themselves is that not parting of the marketing as well to get better paydays?

So you don't think Cena will be saying Vince I want 17th world title or HHH will be trying to stop that happening or maybe still trying to get it himself?

Or those guys that get released don't use titles they had in the WWE to advertise themselves is that not parting of the marketing as well to get better paydays?

Cena would want that because it'd be a storyline and match that'd earn him a lot of money (and could be creatively fulfilling to perform). Sheamus just carrying around the IC belt wouldn't necessarily earn him more than carrying around the tag belt that he does currently, nor would it necessarily be more creatively satisfying than being in a tag-team that's clicking as he is right now. And he wouldn't earn more on the indies (in the unlikely event he ever sees them again; I reckon he's got a job for life in WWE) based on holding it, once he got to call himself a former WWE Champion he had that box ticked for life.

Now there's nothing wrong with him thinking it'd be a cool achievement to have in the bag, but as far as pitching ideas to creative, you pick your battles and wouldn't go to them with something solely based on vanity. It'd be a rookie move on his part and get him a bad reputation (remember that you pitching to win a title is also pitching that one of your co-workers loses it too).

Cena would want that because it'd be a storyline and match that'd earn him a lot of money (and could be creatively fulfilling to perform). Sheamus just carrying around the IC belt wouldn't necessarily earn him more than carrying around the tag belt that he does currently, nor would it necessarily be more creatively satisfying than being in a tag-team that's clicking as he is right now. And he wouldn't earn more on the indies (in the unlikely event he ever sees them again; I reckon he's got a job for life in WWE) based on holding it, once he got to call himself a former WWE Champion he had that box ticked for life.

Now there's nothing wrong with him thinking it'd be a cool achievement to have in the bag, but as far as pitching ideas to creative, you pick your battles and wouldn't go to them with something solely based on vanity. It'd be a rookie move on his part and get him a bad reputation (remember that you pitching to win a title is also pitching that one of your co-workers loses it too).

And everything we hear and have been told about wrestling is it is a dog eat dog world look after yourself and fcuk everyone else and do what you have to do to be number one and make the most money now I know the days of the Champion being paid the most money is probably over compared to the days when it did mean more money.

You don't think these guys don't want titles and to look back when they get old and say I held that and that and that?

I don't know Sheamus but a guy with the determination to get where he has gotten too I would think would like to be known as a grand slam holder before he finishes his days with the WWE.

I'm not talking about him getting the IC belt tomorrow more down the line before he does finish up.

I'm not arguing that he might think it's kinda cool, I mean...he might? Maybe? It's just as likely he wouldn't care but that's much of a muchness. What I'm discussing is your point that he's probably pitching it, and I'm telling you with 100% certainty that he's not. Pitching something for a record only some fans even really care about would make him a laughing stock. Pros tend to not really care about that stuff so wouldn't use valuable opportunities to bend creative's ear for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Watching this week's SmackDown now...so that's where Colin Delaney's been all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm not arguing that he might think it's kinda cool, I mean...he might? Maybe? It's just as likely he wouldn't care but that's much of a muchness. What I'm discussing is your point that he's probably pitching it, and I'm telling you with 100% certainty that he's not. Pitching something for a record only some fans even really care about would make him a laughing stock. Pros tend to not really care about that stuff so wouldn't use valuable opportunities to bend creative's ear for it.

AJ Lee got the date she won the WWE Divas Title tattooed on her neck. Dirty rotten mark.

I would see that as a bit markish tbh. But, even then, that's different to petitioning to win a belt for the sake of getting some meaningless record that's not really spoken about anymore and only some fans still care about. There's a degree of honour to being given the most prestigious belt you qualify for for the first time, so I kinda get it, but then if you're on the other side you also realise how empty and meaningless the conversations around these things are. It's not like, "Wow we value this person's work so much let's reward them!" It's more like "Ehhh we need a heel champion for the big show next month, who's good right now?" Professional bookers are constantly booking ahead towards something else (ideally bigger) in the future, not using wins and losses and belts to reward or punish people. If you actually rate someone highly, you pay them as such, and the life they live with that money is the reward for the work. Same as any job. Employee of the month awards aren't great if you're still one of the lowest paid in your job.

So I would see people rating belt-wins and meaningless records a lot as slightly tragic. It's like getting the date you got a promotion in work tattooed onto you. If someone did that in a regular job, you'd be like, "That's...cool man. Have you ever thought about having kids or doing something away from the office??"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

leggo wrote:
    So I would see people rating belt-wins and meaningless records a lot as slightly tragic.

:confused:
    WWE did it only a few weeks ago when Reigns beat Mix so it's not a fan only thing

What? That was a storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

leggo wrote:
    What? That was a storyline.

They mentioned Roman was now a grand slam winner (granted the world's reaction was overall apathetic). They gave him the belt just so they could claim that as it doesn't really make sense in him winning a mid card title even when Raw's world champ doesn't show up every week the IC title hasnt been allowed to mean anything in a long time. Probably was before they scrapped it temporarily in 2002.
    Then they did a story on their website on previous grand slam winners which didn't list JBL who took time to mention it on twitter. It's not a fan only thing tbh; companies are as petty for records as fans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Daniel Cormier shítting on the Young Bucks...

https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/942420416185978880

The sequence in question...

https://twitter.com/briantheguppie/status/942054673451835392

Well said, Cormier. Different styles are cool and all but that was some trash.

2007 levels of Divas "Are you ready?" spots.

The Bucks will sell a few more tshirts on the back of that tweet and have a good laugh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It is awful ****e

BUT

It is what a lot of the people there at that event are happy to see in that match. It is almost house show stuff, you know fun. It was a 6 man tag, at ROH in 2017, not a last man standing match at Wrestlemania or the main event of Wrestlekingdom.

This is not the ROH era of Joe v Punk or Danielson v McGuinness. Not with talent shares from NOAH, AJ styles making a name for himself. Dalton Castle v Cody Rhodes was for the ROH title on same show, it is a very differant ROH idea these days and they should cater to what their fans want today.

Even if some of it looks awful, worse when presented in a gif, with no context.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I hate crappy spots like that. Embarrassing for the business. It may play well with a certain niche demographic but the mainstream looks at that with disdain and I don't blame them. Cormier wasn't the only UFC guy to rip on it.

https://twitter.com/ChaseShermanUFC/status/942485757037563906

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I dont like those kind of spots as i just dont think it makes sense but crowds seem to enjoy it and i guess thats why its happening so much now

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

It breaks the illusion of the match for me somewhat. Chain wrestling can be a lot of fun when it makes sense with the counters, doing needless spots just for the cheap pops kills the rhythm of the match. That dropkick flippy spot sucked,and did nothing to make me want to watch a Bucks match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It only dawned on me last night as I was watching the PPV that the Ray Rougeau on the French commentary team is the same Raymond Rougeau from the Fabulous Rougeaus. I guess I usually just zone out while they run through the teams, but last night when it got to the French team I just sort of went "...hang on a sec."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Hes been doing the French commentary since the mid to late 90s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

LeeJM wrote: »
    Hes been doing the French commentary since the mid to late 90s

Not in WWE for a long time. I looked it up, he only returned to WWE to do commentary in May of this year, having left in 2002.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement