Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

J. Marston wrote: »
    Steph's dress was half a step up from a bin liner.

Trash Bag Ho

Ho Ho
    Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What about Joey Ryan?

Don't mention the war!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Omackeral wrote: »
    Don't mention the war!!!!!!!!!!

A can of coke to you for referencing Fawlty Towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

leggo wrote: »
    Right your argument is all over the place now: if Cena/Rock was that great, why not use that as an example instead of 'My Way'. Why bring up WWE from 2000/01 at all if modern wrestling achieves the same end that you're going for? Or do you know that that weakens your argument so you point elsewhere because the truth of it all doesn't matter and you're just arguing with any point I make now?

Then you're using Omega/Jericho as an example of a great angle. I know you don't know a lot about wrestling outside of WWE (I can be passive-aggressive too) but you also know that Omega and the Young Bucks form The Elite? And that Omega does all of this stuff with them? So on one hand you're going, "The Young Bucks are ruining wrestling!" Then saying "Look at this for a classic wrestling angle!" I hate to disappoint you...but the Young Bucks are probably going to be at ringside for that match. They've been a part of this great wrestling angle all along.

Your bar for 'niche' is non-existent. You just continually move it to mean 'not WWE'. You're a WWE mark, which you're allowed to be, but your Vince blinkers are totally skewing anyone being able to take you seriously. It doesn't matter if a show sells 30,000, if it's not sold out it's 'niche'. WrestleMania 7 (in fact many of the earlier WrestleManias), headlined by Hulk Hogan, didn't sell that many tickets, was that a niche event? Like define what niche is specifically, set parameters or stop using it. At this stage when you say it I just translate it in my brain as you saying, "Stuff I don't understand and that scares me!"

Also your example of WWE in 2000/01 as a model for wrestling being taken seriously is hilarious, considering you cite the likes of Cornette, Dutch Mantell and Rip Rodgers as sources. Do you even know that that's not their era and they actively HATED the product around then? Like then more than now was the period where old-timers spoke out about how wrestling had gone to the dogs. Sammartino and Billy Graham disowned it entirely.

Lastly, you don't understand meta and that's fine. But that's how audiences suspend their disbelief these days. In a world post-'pipe bomb' promo, you even had Triple H come out and call it the 'Reality Era' on Raw, meaning that the fourth wall would be broken regularly. None of this is niche btw. And the idea of breaking the fourth wall, artistically, is to acknowledge what fans know to be an act and therefore can't get into, then to work them again with that in mind. That's how you suspend disbelief in 2017. The toothpaste is out of the tube on wrestling being fake unfortunately, and people like Omega, Young Bucks etc are actively working to bring you back in by not insulting your intelligence. I find it way more intelligence-insulting, personally, getting punched repeatedly in the face, not bleeding and telling me this is 'real' than by treating it as an athletic performance used to tell stories and entertain (which is what wrestling actually is). The way they're doing it, it is real, because they're open and candid about it. You can't get your head around that and, again, that's fine.

All this embittered post shows is once again an inability to grasp a view of wrestling that your myopic mindset just cannot see. If you had the capacity to reflect on some of your wild assertions these past several pages you would discover that it is in fact your argument all over the place, given you went from asserting what the Young Bucks do is what the majority of wrestling fans want (false) to saying Rock vs Cena is not what fans want (despite it doing the best numbers of any Mania main event). Serious feuds do serious business.

The second paragraph contains more insults from you where you claim to have more knowledge of wrestling than me (I doubt it) but I'll take it in my festive stride because it is designed to mask the point which you don't address: Jericho vs Omega is a SERIOUS angle hyping what they describe as a SERIOUS fight. It must be really hurting you to watch this get over as the hottest angle of the show (outside Japan anyway) and without any imaginary grenades, dance-offs or any such wonderful "meta" shenanigans.

More insults in your next paragraph as you rage at the notion that what you like is not niche, despite offering no explanation as to why Japan is not doing its best ever business if this is "what the majority of wrestling fans want", nor offering any explanation as to why Cody Rhodes is making a bet to see if he can get 10,000 people into a show. If this isn't niche, why do they have to make such a bet? Any reasonable metric tells you that is.

You then go and dig yourself another hole making reference to the CM Punk pipe bomb promo which was an angle 100 per cent serious! The people who became emotionally invested in the storyline represent the very antithesis of what you want - they treated it as serious. What's going to happen if Punk wins the title? Will he take it outside WWE? People were emotionally invested because the performers took their craft seriously. The fans during their match were desperate to see Punk win, they let him be the star, they didn't go into business for themselves and try to get themselves over like on the shows you love where nothing matters. Punk made everything matter in that promo. He actually says in the promo after talking about Vince's imaginary brass rings that, quote: "the only thing that's real is me." He doesn't run down and flip Cena with his genitals, or throw imaginary pipe bombs down on Cena. It was a SERIOUS angle. I realise this is a difficult concept for you to grasp.

What you like isn't wrestling. What you like is sports spots entertainment. Just like that choreographed trash that started this debate, or when Joey Ryan takes down his pants, or when the imaginary hadoukens and grenades come out. "That's your cue, fans!" Get up and clap and chant this is awesome at the glorified rhythmic gymnastic display. To hell about treating this as a CONTEST. It's just a bunch of spots, see!

And that's the crux of the whole issue: you've moved away from wanting to allow yourself be invested in a contest; you want something akin to gymnastics, or ice-skating where you cheer when the pirouettes come along. It's Strictly for guys in neckbeards basically.

The hilarious thing is that this meta which you think is new and edgy and the future is anything but. I would think someone of your vast wrestling knowledge - much greater than mine so you tell me - would be aware that when wrestlers wanted to "kill the town" they were leaving, they would do a bunch of goofy, trashy stuff to turn fans off from going. Because back then you couldn't swindle people into buying intelligence-insulting garbage by saying "it's okay, it's meta"; you actually drove people away. What you want is the wrestling equivalent of that masked magician in the 90s that exposed the secrets of his profession, not caring about the harm he was doing to hs fellows in the profession. But hey, I bet he was paid a LOT of money for that. And that's all that matters right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Can we please,please,please have a one-off exhibition match of around the horn with MNG versus Leggo?

• Advertisement

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Can we please,please,please have a one-off exhibition match of around the horn with MNG versus Leggo?

They are both the El Generico & Kevin Steen of the PW Forum, in that they are destined to fight forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For those of us browsing on mobile

c79c3af2b6089357c8947a8f8a03c5acc8bdb3cb9eb97b5a4774687842cc3b74.jpg

Talk about working yourself into a shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Uh, Nice Guy, did you miss the part where I said I wasn't a big fan of Young Bucks myself but I got why people liked them?

I'll just give you a moment to redo your post which is 99% you telling me what I like. Please don't do that, it's weird.

Oh and that serious Jericho/Omega match that I hate, I'm flying over to Tokyo Dome next week to see it live. You can just re-write, that post went a bit tits up for you, it's fine. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Flying over to Tokyo are we? Well look at who's the Billy big balls. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Random wrestling thoughts suddenly became a load of drawn out garbage. I don't have to think too hard when I wonder why so many just don't use boards.ie anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I'll just give you a moment to redo your post which is 99% you telling me what I like. Please don't do that, it's weird.

Ah Leggo you posted the below on this topic.

Then you're using Omega/Jericho as an example of a great angle. I know you don't know a lot about wrestling outside of WWE (I can be passive-aggressive too) but you also know that Omega and the Young Bucks form The Elite? And that Omega does all of this stuff with them? So on one hand you're going, "The Young Bucks are ruining wrestling!" Then saying "Look at this for a classic wrestling angle!" I hate to disappoint you...but the Young Bucks are probably going to be at ringside for that match. They've been a part of this great wrestling angle all along.

Your bar for 'niche' is non-existent. You just continually move it to mean 'not WWE'. You're a WWE mark, which you're allowed to be, but your Vince blinkers are totally skewing anyone being able to take you seriously. It doesn't matter if a show sells 30,000, if it's not sold out it's 'niche'. WrestleMania 7 (in fact many of the earlier WrestleManias), headlined by Hulk Hogan, didn't sell that many tickets, was that a niche event? Like define what niche is specifically, set parameters or stop using it. At this stage when you say it I just translate it in my brain as you saying, "Stuff I don't understand and that scares me!"

Weird alright.

Alright this debate is now becoming a meme I think we should call time on it... :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Nobody asked a poster to meet for a fight outside Easons so no moderation needed here.

*reference checks how long posters have been on boards PW :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Nobody asked a poster to meet for a fight outside Easons

Is that a thing that happens?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Why don't ya meet me outside Easons and find out (jk)

I'll fight someone outside Eason if they do a traveller call out video. Ya junkies junkies b*astard ya.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'll fight someone outside Eason if they do a traveller call out video. Ya junkies junkies b*astard ya.

You're the King ah nothin

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You're the King ah nothin

You're the king of dog sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lads should we book the mid South coliseum in Memphis Christmas night to settle this score.

• Advertisement

As long as it's something-on-a-pole match I'm in bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm going to binge on the network over the Christmas period. I watched spring stampede 1998 ppv last night and macho man could still go in 1998. Also has kevin Nash's jacknife powerbomb always looked that crap, or did I leave nostalgia make it better than it was ?

He does it to sting in the main event and I know it's not a classic powerbomb as Nash let's the person go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Easons?!!! What a bunch of marks!!!

Chapters in Parnell street is the only bookshop in Dublin City worth talking about.

.....aaaaand discuss ;)

Honestly, great to see good hearty civilised debate here. Makes boards and places like it what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Easons?!!! What a bunch of marks!!!

fk ya! i almost spat out my coffee on my new monitor! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

We are still waiting in the Liverpool thread for a lad to go starkers outside Easons from 3/4 years ago.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Many moons ago a boards.ie/PW poster by the name of Ger.C was running down and Irish wrestler when said wrestler, Conor Hurley (Below), started posting on boards in response and asked Ger to meet him halfway between where they were outside an Easons to settle things.
    001ptw-conor-hurley-title.jpg

Taken from the hotlinks thread:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,080 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ah, well that's just weird.
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Why don't ya meet me outside Easons and find out (jk)
    Be there in 5 minutes

Many moons ago a boards.ie/PW poster by the name of Ger.C was running down and Irish wrestler when said wrestler, Conor Hurley (Below), started posting on boards in response and asked Ger to meet him halfway between where they were outside an Easons to settle things.
    001ptw-conor-hurley-title.jpg

Taken from the hotlinks thread:

That's epic, I had completely forgotten about that. I knew Conor, he was a nice guy who got harsh treatment. I wouldn't have known him at that time but anytime I worked with him he was full of questions and fully aware of his inexperience and weaknesses (if anything too harsh on himself because everyone sucks when they're new to anything). It's tough because you don't really get prepped for the feedback that can come with it (well maybe they do today but not back then) and it can really suck once you're reading stuff that hits a nerve but is also really unfair too. The line between fair criticism and harassment also gets dangerously blurred quite quickly.

To be fair, it works both ways and everyone who has wrestled long enough (and I don't even mean 10-15 years, a couple of years in will do) has their share of stories about intense fans, both liking and disliking you. Another story for another day but I once had my Bebo hacked :pac:. But ultimately the wrestlers are the ones putting themselves out there and getting paid so it falls to them to have to take it on the chin, unless it gets to ridiculous levels.

That's epic, I had completely forgotten about that. I knew Conor, he was a nice guy who got harsh treatment. I wouldn't have known him at that time but anytime I worked with him he was full of questions and fully aware of his inexperience and weaknesses (if anything too harsh on himself because everyone sucks when they're new to anything). It's tough because you don't really get prepped for the feedback that can come with it (well maybe they do today but not back then) and it can really suck once you're reading stuff that hits a nerve but is also really unfair too. The line between fair criticism and harassment also gets dangerously blurred quite quickly.

To be fair, it works both ways and everyone who has wrestled long enough (and I don't even mean 10-15 years, a couple of years in will do) has their share of stories about intense fans, both liking and disliking you. Another story for another day but I once had my Bebo hacked :pac:. But ultimately the wrestlers are the ones putting themselves out there and getting paid so it falls to them to have to take it on the chin, unless it gets to ridiculous levels.

I think Conor was actually drafted in the boardsPW yearly draft game the year after this off the back of it. Don't think anyone on boards every meant anything bad when posting on here about the lads back then but I guess people just hadn't become as net savvy back then too. I think now nobody would give enough attention to someones post about them online for them to even consider the Easons malarky these days.

• Advertisement

Was just thinking, those going to watch Wrestle Kingdom 12 @ Buskers in Dublin, will the place even be open at 8 in the morning to show the show?

I'm assuming time difference between Japan & Ireland was taken into account when planning it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement