Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the vince mcmahon millon doller giveaway ending

brillent moment which they tried to make as legit as possible with both heels and faces running to help vince ('paul i can feel my legs')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P12bQTK3cg

That was fcuking terrible!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So much of the backstage stuff back in the attitude era wouldn't be done now.

Also as the 123 kid match vs razor Ramon on raw where the kid won looked like the last Sean waltman didn't look like utter ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Omackeral wrote: »
    That was fcuking terrible!!!!!

yeah it was so bad it's good

what was the point of it all ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    yeah it was so bad it's good

what was the point of it all ??

No it wasn't so bad it was good. It was terrible. The stage clearly wasn't near him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

bret and 123 kid was an amazing match as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sky88 wrote: »
    bret and 123 kid was an amazing match as well

The mark in me didn't know what to think with two goodies against each other, much like Bulldog vs Bret 2 years prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm a big AJ Styles fan (admit since he joined wwe) and I'm wondering if he is retiring at 42 (approx 2 years from now) what can they do with him to put him in wwe legendary status ???. vs Nakamura at mania 34 is one with Styles going over, id love to see him go up against Balor in a rivilary, against Alaister Black, another heel run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

AJ could break Punk's record for holding the title if they thought about it, seems like something they would do and it would cement legendary status.

Will brock get close to punks record by the time mania hits

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

That's the Universal Title....no one gives a shat about that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote:
    Will brock get close to punks record by the time mania hits

Will have it a year by then. It doesn't feel like it, I mean that in a bad way not a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

They should keep the title on Brock forever, or as long as he's willing to stay. There's no-one who could believably take it off him. Even Braun Strowman, if you look at Bob Sapp's competitive fighting record it tells you that even a big man will go down to a fighter who knows what they're doing. Strowman might be big, but everyone knows that Brock is a legitimate guy, and WWE have always pushed that as well, so even with Braun it's not that believable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

There is no way Styles retires at 42 unless its injury related. He is making more money now than at any other point of his career. He will get another bumper contract and Id expect another 5-7 years of AJ before we see him retire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ERG89 wrote: »
    Will have it a year by then. It doesn't feel like it, I mean that in a bad way not a good one.

If he defends at the Rumble only and takes it to Mania that will make it 4 defenses in a year, while most champions who held the title a year will have made at least 10 if not more defenses as well as being on tv a heck of a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

LeeJM wrote: »
    There is no way Styles retires at 42 unless its injury related. He is making more money now than at any other point of his career. He will get another bumper contract and Id expect another 5-7 years of AJ before we see him retire

I'd say he'll go with short-term contracts from here on, AJ is quite open with the fact that he doesn't mind retiring early as the second he feels he can't do what he normally does, he'll know it's time to call it a day. Having said that, he could easily still have another 5-7 in him, and he'll likely have a job for life as an agent or in PC.

leggo wrote: »
    I'd say he'll go with short-term contracts from here on, AJ is quite open with the fact that he doesn't mind retiring early as the second he feels he can't do what he normally does, he'll know it's time to call it a day. Having said that, he could easily still have another 5-7 in him, and he'll likely have a job for life as an agent or in PC.

Oh I know what he has said about retirement and as you say its likely he could do a 2 year contract at most. My point was though that he is more valuable now to WWE than he was when he signed 2 years ago therefore his next contract will be for even more money! Also the possibility of a return to NJ right as they are taking off in America will be a great bargaining chip for him in the negotiations. Finally, I don't believe a word out of any wrestlers mouth so I'll believe he is retired when he hasn't wrestled for 3 years and severs all ties with the business

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Did the match have ad breaks? That could of hindered it (I know of the match but cant remember it)

I actually don't know if there were ad breaks but I wouldn't have noticed. Lucky enough to have been in the crowd for that match (was in London IIRC). Was the first time I realised that kids are genuinely in love with Cena, I was sat beside a family with a 7 year old who looked genuinely hurt when I started booing him...

I stopped for his benefit and just enjoyed the match.

Hope to take my little fella to a live show at some point (he's starting to get interested now and I'm making the Rumble/Wrestlemania our thing from this year onwards), and I'd hate to have that look on his face with a couple of mid 20/older lads booing his heroes.

I'm just a softy at heart I think :o:o

Necrominus wrote: »
    I actually don't know if there were ad breaks but I wouldn't have noticed. Lucky enough to have been in the crowd for that match (was in London IIRC). Was the first time I realised that kids are genuinely in love with Cena, I was sat beside a family with a 7 year old who looked genuinely hurt when I started booing him...

I stopped for his benefit and just enjoyed the match.

Hope to take my little fella to a live show at some point (he's starting to get interested now and I'm making the Rumble/Wrestlemania our thing from this year onwards), and I'd hate to have that look on his face with a couple of mid 20/older lads booing his heroes.

My little fella just turned 5 and I bring him to every OTT Contenders show and Jordan Devlin is his hero. If anyone was to boo Jordan I'd hate to see how he would react.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Necrominus wrote: »

In that case, I hope you're working on turning him against Roman before going. :pac:

• Advertisement

I remember bringing my brother to hid 1st show when he was 6 and these 2 guys were booing jeff hardy and as it was favourite he didnt understand it at all and got so angry an upset

CastorTroy wrote: »
    In that case, I hope you're working on turning him against Roman before going. :pac:

Oh he doesn't even know about Roman yet :)

Cena, New Day.... the colourful characters so far. He's only 4 tbf

When you see it through different lenses you really notice what spoiled, entitled arseholes some fans can be. For me recently it was in Japan seeing American fans try heckle wrestlers (which is NOT a thing there at all), start dumb chants and loudly making fun of Japanese fans. Total lack of respect from a pampered portion of the audience who think their opinions and contributions matter way more than it does. I hate, hate, HATE fans who try ruin stuff for everyone else watching so they can try get their not that creative or funny anyway chants over.

Another recent time (watching on TV this time) was fans being apoplectic when WWE gave a disclaimer on-screen after fans started chanting “**** you Roman.” As parents of young kids, I’m sure you can see how offensive that is. At the end of the day, if you’re watching WWE, we’re watching a programme largely aimed at children that we just never grew out of. Fine, boo the guys you don’t like, whatever. But fans cursing around kids and then getting mad when WWE has to react to that is just the epitome of obnoxiousness.

Yeah I agree with pretty much all of that tbh. Like it's fine being upset with the product WWE churns out, no issue with that at all.

It's as leggo said above, fans at events continuously going into business for themselves rather than watching what they themselves paid tickets for. That story about the Japan event is horrifying tbh, I'll certainly be waiting till my lad is at least 8 or 9 before taking him to a live event because I wouldn't subject him to the sort of stuff others come out with.

Same at other sporting events though, wrestling certainly isn't alone in so called fans being idiots. (cautious of not going OT here so I'll leave it at that)

Yeah tbh I think if you were to distill it it’d be more a geographical/cultural thing, we just notice it through wrestling I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's no worse than football or any sport really. would you expect a bunch of football fans to mind their language at a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree with leggo's thoughts above too and this is part of what I was trying to get across in our back-and-forth discussion a few weeks ago. In fact, I did a bit of a double take because that first paragraph could have been written by me. When you have fans who are now conditioned to believe nothing should be treated with seriousness or respect - e.g. obviously choreographed phony spots, invisible hand grenades etc - this leads to a mindset where they are taught nothing matters. Where fans just sit there not investing in anything they see and only fixate on trying to get themselves over.

I particularly agree with the part, "Total lack of respect from a pampered portion of the audience who think their opinions and contributions matter way more than it does." The best wrestling is when it's left to the wrestlers to be the stars, not the mouthy fans who want to take the spotlight for themselves. Everything works far better and matters far more when the presentation and bouts are treated seriously and respectfully. Unless I'm misinterpreting things it sounds like leggo's trip to Japan has helped him rediscover the fine art of the old school and away from the goofball antics.

Haha I dunno if I’d go that far now, the Young Bucks still opened the show with some serious antics and I was pretty entertained! But we can agree on rebel fan chants at least.

The rebel chants is something that's really annoyed me right now those random chants like cm punk when it breaks out fair enough when hes mentioned or something its been 4 years.

I think a lot of fans in america just want to hijack the show instead of of trying to enjoy the show there at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

WWE actively encourage it though, they were begging for it last year for Raw after wrestlemania.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement