Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"We are awesome" would be the one that bugs me the most. I didn't mind it so much the first time I heard it on one of the post-Mania Raws but when it came back the following year...just no.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

sky88 wrote: »
    The rebel chants is something that's really annoyed me right now those random chants like cm punk when it breaks out fair enough when hes mentioned or something its been 4 years.

I think a lot of fans in america just want to hijack the show instead of of trying to enjoy the show there at.

I guess it kind of started with the Cena booing, fans getting a reaction by being mentioned on TV. Really took off with the D Bryan stuff I guess and ever since the 'Fandangoing' craze hit everyone wants to out do each other now at the expense of the product.

I'm not a huge fan of the direction WWE takes these days but I hate these guys crapping on absolutely everything nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

leggo wrote: »
    When you see it through different lenses you really notice what spoiled, entitled arseholes some fans can be. For me recently it was in Japan seeing American fans try heckle wrestlers (which is NOT a thing there at all), start dumb chants and loudly making fun of Japanese fans. Total lack of respect from a pampered portion of the audience who think their opinions and contributions matter way more than it does. I hate, hate, HATE fans who try ruin stuff for everyone else watching so they can try get their not that creative or funny anyway chants over.

Another recent time (watching on TV this time) was fans being apoplectic when WWE gave a disclaimer on-screen after fans started chanting “**** you Roman.” As parents of young kids, I’m sure you can see how offensive that is. At the end of the day, if you’re watching WWE, we’re watching a programme largely aimed at children that we just never grew out of. Fine, boo the guys you don’t like, whatever. But fans cursing around kids and then getting mad when WWE has to react to that is just the epitome of obnoxiousness.

You have to hate people being obnoxious for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Why I get great enjoyment from The Miz

As he is ripping on Sam you can see both of them trying to not laugh, he can just keep going too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've always looked at the fan chants as a double edged sword. (chants in general are good however) A lot of the fans chanting the things being mentioned are d!cks but it should be treated as a challenge to the performers, grab their attention with your actions and they will not be focusing on getting themselves over instead on you.

The show should not be all things like this but nobody chants any of those things when Braun is running amok in segments. He has their attention. Performers need to raise their game and not only garner the fans attention but direct that so that they follow them and chant along with them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you know, with most chants I'd view it as a challenge to the performer to rise above and manipulate. Cena for example can play crowds full of obnoxious smarks like a fiddle and it's brilliant.

Reigns also did a beautiful job the night after beating Taker, letting them tire themselves out before hitting them with an absolute beauty. While chanting **** you Roman is not something young kids should be hearing, I'd actually put that responsibility back on the parent. They should be aware of what can happen at these shows before bringing their child to one and should be prepared. In most cases however I don't believe the crowd ever steps over the line like that in fairness to them. In most cases it'd be an achievement to illicit any kind of reaction out of the average US audience now.

My issue would be the blatantly disrespectful chants that a) don't add anything to the show and b) just shows how much of a **** someone is. Chants like chanting CM Punk at AJ Lee when she's trying to perform in her own right or chanting vulgar sh1t at women trying to put a good match on.

I find the obnoxious chants more prevalent at the big shows.

Mania, the Raw after.
    The Rumble.
    3 examples, I'm sure there are more.
    The bigger stages draw the bigger idiots not really interested in the show but in getting 5 mins/secs of fame.

Agreed on the above though. Cena is brilliant at working the crowds.
    Strowman doesn't have to via talking, his actions are attention grabbing.

Reigns.... sometimes like after WM he can be great but the next week he's back to flubbing his lines....although the Cena feud showed he can work the shtick if they let him loose a little.

Scripted promos are the big problem, it's why all the babyfaces are failing miserably at the moment.

Balor shows attitude finally and is kinda turning heel.... just proves the drum I've been banging about this for a while now. Let the babyfaces show the same attitude instead off

Cool music
    *Flicks collar*
    "I. Can. Beat. You. Because. I'm. Better. Than. You."
    Cool music
    *Flicks collar again*

Ok I'm rambling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think it depends on the show you go to, read the room like. If you go to an OTT/PROGRESS/ICW show, chant away with whatever you like (within reason obviously). The performers look for and expect that, they vibe off the randomness and it makes it a great night.

If you're going to a WWE show, you're going to a show aimed 50% at kids. There are going to be kids in the audience. So just have a bit of cop on. I remember interviewing Justy last year, for example, when OTT ran the Stadium for the first time, it was all ages and some people were giving out about not being able to chant curses and he made a great point: "I mean sure, you can curse all you like, but you'll be changing a small child's life. Is it really worth it?"

I'd be inclined to agree that rebel chants are an obstacle wrestlers need to overcome most of the time (except in Japan where it's just not a thing and you should respect house rules), but those chants don't need to include curses on under-18's shows and should fit in with the atmosphere of the crowd. In other words: if you're the only person who thinks something, maybe just leave it alone. If you're in the crowd, not one single person has paid money or travelled there to hear your 'creativity'. Nobody cares what you think about 'the business'. Nobody cares that once this wrestler blew you off for an autograph and your revenge is to boo him, which he actually can't hear but it ruins the match for everyone else around you. You're a spectator. Be a spectator. Contribute to the vibe of the room or sit there and watch the show: you have no right to impinge on the experience of anyone else around you who's paid the same amount to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Cringe chants are the absolute worst. Mostly from the creepy neckbeards at Full Sail for NXT. "This is Awesome" for some bad womens match. The worst is if someone wins a title, "You deserve it". Of course they deserve it, they just beat someone in a title match!

Fans DO have a right do it though, they are the ones who bought a ticket after all. If they can't have a bit of a laugh on a night out at wrestling, they'll stop going and the business is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Cringe chants are the absolute worst. Mostly from the creepy neckbeards at Full Sail for NXT. "This is Awesome" for some bad womens match. The worst is if someone wins a title, "You deserve it". Of course they deserve it, they just beat someone in a title match!

Fans DO have a right do it though, they are the ones who bought a ticket after all. If they can't have a bit of a laugh on a night out at wrestling, they'll stop going and the business is dead.

Maybe its just me but I don't consider cursing and screaming abuse at someone who is a hero of a young child nearby a bit of a laugh. There is over 18s shows for that kind of thing and even they have limits on what is acceptable.

• Advertisement

Don't ever bring your kids to a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭BurnUp78

apart from the lack of interesting characters the biggest turn off for me in modern WWE is the god awful commentary and the annoying as **** fans. Chanting this is awesome is the most cringey thing ever you're a grown man what are you doing? It seems like they are desperate to chant something any and every chance they get. Is it because the product is so bad they feel the need to do it? I don't know but i find it more annoying than i probably should. The crowds have gone from shouting asshole at McMahon to shouting "10" every time there's a count out its really sad how nerdy and geeky wrestling fans have become :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Don't ever bring your kids to a football match.

So just because obscene chants are tolerated at one event that means they should be tolerated at everything? In that case I'll add Smack My B*tch Up and F*ck the Police to the playlist for any kids birthday parties I go to

Go right ahead. Fans chanting stuff at big events is never going to stop, whether it's appropriate or not. So either don't bring your kids because you know better, or accept it. People are assholes, more so in large groups.

Go right ahead. Fans chanting stuff at big events is never going to stop, whether it's appropriate or not. So either don't bring your kids because you know better, or accept it. People are assholes, more so in large groups.

It can easily be cracked down on. Comedians have found ways to make fans give up their phones into stadium gigs, stopping the maybe 1% there from being dicks is easy. Put it in your T&C’s then make an example of one obnoxious fool in each section, the rest will shut up fairly quickly and word will spread. They cracked down on obscene signs a while back, you don’t see many of them anymore.

Sidebar: I do remember the first mania I went to in the Woolshed where some god awful idiot would not shut up. Ended up provoking the a shut the fcuk up chant. Good times.

Adult events are self-policing for the most part: we had the same at Jericho in Vicar St, we just told him to shut up first and, when that failed, got security. If you’re around adults you’re not too concerned about them learning and repeating curse words like, it’s just a case of being inconvenienced by dicks and having the backbone to say/do something about it (even to staff/security).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was assholes like that, that stopped me going to the Evenings with .. there was the same group at each event being pr1cks and ruining it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I agree that some fans take the piss at the events, but what bugs me more is the rubbish that goes on at the HOF. You have some speakers who are not wrestlers and are clearly nervous and you have these idiots shouting out things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some HOF audiences are awful.

"WE LOVE YOU SHERRI"

Well if you love her you'll let her have her fcuking moment and then applaud her afterwards. You absolute thick.

• Advertisement

I must try and get to one of these WM parties some year.... or start my own :pac: Not sure I can justify to the missus travelling to Dublin to watch Mania... but I can try I suppose!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Some HOF audiences are awful.

"WE LOVE YOU SHERRI"

Well if you love her you'll let her have her fcuking moment and then applaud her afterwards. You absolute thick.

I'm on the fence on that kind of thing. For so long the WWF traded on the emotion they could illicit from the crowd so I've no doubt if someone was shouting that at Queen Sherri, it came from genuine thanks and gratitude.

I think as well when these veterans come out to accept their induction, it's heartening to hear such hysteria in the audience. Guys like Hall and Jake who must have been nervous as hell.

There is a limit though of course, a fine line between giving thanks and being disruptive.

Necrominus wrote: »
    I must try and get to one of these WM parties some year.... or start my own :pac: Not sure I can justify to the missus travelling to Dublin to watch Mania... but I can try I suppose!

It’s probably too short notice to do this one but if you’re giving us a shot, the Rumble party is by far the best one to go to as an introduction.

leggo wrote: »
    It’s probably too short notice to do this one but if you’re giving us a shot, the Rumble party is by far the best one to go to as an introduction.

Sadly it is. I'm introducing the young lad to the Rumble this year but will certainly give it some thought for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There was an episode of raw from 2003 I think where ric flair was outside the ring and this kid had a sign or glasses and ric grabbed it and broke it and the kid started crying and triple h had to get ric back on board. It's not a classic raw moment but it clearly wasn't planned and ric lost the rag.

The video quality of this is poor but the description says that Shawn Michaels stole a pair of Bret Hart sunglass from a fan.

I was listening to Punk's shoot for the umpteenth time there and just realised, Vince owes him. Owes him twice!! Vince doesn't renege on his assurances if he can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I miss pyro

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Chair head shots were understandably banned but their alternatives, the stomach poke and back slap, are shíte replacements.

Wouldn't mind if they just stopped using chairs altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,079 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder what kind of reaction Goldust got from people he knows when he told them he was joining the cruiserweights

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Chair head shots were understandably banned but their alternatives, the stomach poke and back slap, are shíte replacements.

Wouldn't mind if they just stopped using chairs altogether.

Steel post shots look much more effective compared to the steel chair back rubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement