Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

this is one thing that really just annoys me about fans when they do this it really isnt nessecary. i mean if she was to do a taker move fair enough like when brie does bryans move i can live with it but to straight away chant taker and same with nikki

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/957818477623967745

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

sky88 wrote: »
    this is one thing that really just annoys me about fans when they do this it really isnt nessecary. i mean if she was to do a taker move fair enough like when brie does bryans move i can live with it but to straight away chant taker and same with nikki

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/957818477623967745

Yeah I don't get what they achieves in any way. And Michelle held her own Andy looked great in her own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It's one of those things. I think fans do it thinking it comes across as a sign of respect when it does the opposite. To be honest though, as great as the women's rumble was last night they really can't have that as the main event going forward. The fact that a woman does a move and the whole crowd start chanting their husbands names isn't necessarily sexist or anything, it just means their husbands mean more to them personally and that is who they connect with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The fans chanting for women's partners was a bit crappy of the crowd, there seemed to be a lot of them there towards the end with big WWE partners

But so long as we don't have to hear "you suck Cena" then I don't mind too much because that was just scummy of the crowd when that happened

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

I posted this earlier on the Rumble Thread, realise now it wasn’t the place for it & didn’t get any traffic so if mods could delete it please, I’ll try it here if I can, if that’s allowed.

Hadn’t watched WWE in 17/18 years until this morning. (Working night shift tonight & my son has gotten into wwe last few months).

Although it never looked as staged as it did to me this morning, (due to being shown in HD I imagine) I can easily see myself starting to get interested in it again.

I was struggling with all the new titles though, I know they’ve branded Raw & Smackdown as 2 different brands, I assume the championships in Raw are held in higher regard?

What about the WWE World Heavyweigjt Championship, I imagine surely the main Champion across the company is Brock?

I used to love the Tag-Team Championships but just flicking through the website, there isn’t a good gimmicky team name? Like the days of The Rock & Sock connection, Dudley Boyz, New Age Outlaws etc. It’s just there 2 names? Also, are there any stables anymore, like D-Generation-X, The Radicals, Mean Street Posse etc, or a link to a thread to help me catch up :)

I just need something to get me a little up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

JoshRosen wrote: »
    I posted this earlier on the Rumble Thread, realise now it wasn’t the place for it & didn’t get any traffic so if mods could delete it please, I’ll try it here if I can, if that’s allowed.

Hadn’t watched WWE in 17/18 years until this morning. (Working night shift tonight & my son has gotten into wwe last few months).

Although it never looked as staged as it did to me this morning, (due to being shown in HD I imagine) I can easily see myself starting to get interested in it again.

I was struggling with all the new titles though, I know they’ve branded Raw & Smackdown as 2 different brands, I assume the championships in Raw are held in higher regard?

What about the WWE World Heavyweigjt Championship, I imagine surely the main Champion across the company is Brock?

I used to love the Tag-Team Championships but just flicking through the website, there isn’t a good gimmicky team name? Like the days of The Rock & Sock connection, Dudley Boyz, New Age Outlaws etc. It’s just there 2 names? Also, are there any stables anymore, like D-Generation-X, The Radicals, Mean Street Posse etc, or a link to a thread to help me catch up :)

I just need something to get me a little up to speed.

The WHC has been retired. Now Raw has the Universal title which is about 2 years old.

Smackdown has the WWE title. Both are supposed to the same level.

Not many stables. Balor Club (Finn, Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows) is a new one.

Women have two. Riott Squad and Absolution, also both pretty new.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

JoshRosen wrote: »

Just to add to J. Marston's info, there are a few teams with names. The Bar (Sheamus and Cesaro), The Revival, The Miztourage, Breezango, The Ascension, The Bludgeon Brothers.

The New Day is the only stable I can think of off-hand at the moment (Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods, Big E Langston) but The Shield are the crew most worth checking out from the last few years (Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose). They'd still be working together a bit now if Ambrose wasn't out injured.

NXT is where the best stuff happens consistently. There are some great teams and factions there (Sanity, the Undisputed Era, the Authors of Pain, and soon you'll be seeing War Machine there too).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I've just watched the latest 'Being The Elite'. Anyone who's a fan of wrestling needs to watch this. In fact anyone who is a fan of good story telling in any medium needs to give it a view. This is a few wrestlers recording on iPhones, telling a more moving story than WWE can with its legion of professional writers.

https://youtu.be/q08Ik2tiE2k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just had a properly random thought there.

With the WWE Performance Centre taking in athletes and the likes who’ve never wrestled a day in their lives and then developing them in their own mould to solely wrestle the WWE style, how would these guys fare in the indies if any of them ever ended up there? Is the WWE approach so different that it’d be a shock to their systems or would they have sufficient wrestling experience to adapt? The PC is far from your standard wrestling school after all, the teachers are world class but I just wonder how different the methods are and how it affects the growth of rookies into actual pro-wrestlers.

Has anyone developed by the PC left yet and given it a go or made any decent impact in the indy scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

martyos121 wrote: »

With the WWE Performance Centre taking in athletes and the likes who’ve never wrestled a day in their lives and then developing them in their own mould to solely wrestle the WWE style, how would these guys fare in the indies if any of them ever ended up there? Is the WWE approach so different that it’d be a shock to their systems or would they have sufficient wrestling experience to adapt? The PC is far from your standard wrestling school after all, the teachers are world class but I just wonder how different the methods are and how it affects the growth of rookies into actual pro-wrestlers.

Has anyone developed by the PC left yet and given it a go or made any decent impact in the indy scene?

Not a reply to your question but a random thought of my own as I read the bolded part I got distracted by my brain taking over and shouting "Adam Cole BAYBAY!" in my head :)

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »

was juice Robinson fully developed in the PC im not sure but the only one i could think of whos gone on the indies and developed

I think any of the guys there training from scratch could work well if they have the drive for the indies.

cody while not a PC guy is a wwe trained wrestler pretty much and look how successful hes become granted his name and jumping on the bullet club helped majorly with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

one thing I can't see Reigns doing is following The Rock and Cena into the Hollywood

Reigns just doesn't have that about him

PTH2009 wrote: »
    one thing I can't see Reigns doing is following The Rock and Cena into the Hollywood

Reigns just doesn't have that about him

angry looking henchman i could see so kinda like his role in the shield

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Would have said the same about Batista but he's done very well for himself.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Would have said the same about Batista but he's done very well for himself.

Little Dave Batista(look it up, its funny/unpleasant) showed some bit of personality and charisma though. Roman reigns has none of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Clegg wrote: »
    I've just watched the latest 'Being The Elite'. Anyone who's a fan of wrestling needs to watch this. In fact anyone who is a fan of good story telling in any medium needs to give it a view. This is a few wrestlers recording on iPhones, telling a more moving story than WWE can with its legion of professional writers.

Far as I can recall, they keep New Japan & Ring Of Honor in the loop respectively in regards to story-lines, Marty joining Bullet Club was a NJPW decision I do believe.

Makes me wonder how they'll mark the 100th episode when they get to it.

Clegg wrote: »

Did you notice "Dublin?" on the whiteboard for possible locations for the All In show :D

No way it's outside the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is TNA secretly taking over WWE from the inside instead of competing against them so many of there top stars and now key to the WWE product.

Will we get the be reveal in a year or two that it's Dixie along saying....

It's Me Vince! it was me all along Austin! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Random question:

Scurll or Ospreay?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Random question:

Scurll or Ospreay?

My heart would say Scrull but my head would say Ospreay. Have seen both now countless times in OTT. Love Marty and all he does but I don’t think there has been a local or visiting talent that has blown me away like Ospreay. Some of the stuff he does is literally jaw dropping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Scurll for charisma, Ospreay for athleticism. I'd buy a ticket to see either though.

My random thoughts;

1) Scott Hall has never been in a Royal Rumble match but Razor Ramon has.

2) Sean Waltman's first match for WWE took place in 1993 on the day after WrestleMania 9. It took him until Wrestlemania 15 to get a match on the grandest stage of them all. That's a long wait.

Who would be considered the biggest wrestling promotion in Europe? In terms of who sells the most tickets, most popular etc.

As stated I love Scrull but I have often questioned does he really have “it” or is his appearance and shtick a bit too gimmicky.

I know there is nothing worse than for a talent to be classed as vanilla but It is wrong to say nobody really cared about Marty until he put in a big fur coat and started carrying an umbrella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Who would be considered the biggest wrestling promotion in Europe? In terms of who sells the most tickets, most popular etc.

ICW has sold 5000+ a couple of times so in that sense they would be the biggest but their product is very niche IMO. PROGRESS is probably the most well known indie in Europe and they are running Wembley Arena (with WWE backing) this September. OTT doing over 1700 three times in 2017 is huge for an indie too.

Think Pete Dunne said, and I’d tend to agree, being Progress champion means you are viewed as the best independent wrestler in the world. Progress has to be there.

I suppose WXW for their history must be classed high. Some of ICWs shows have been moooooohasive.

Reason I ask. There's a channel on sky you can tune in called "Freesports" which is FTA in the UK that I'm watching at the moment.

They're showing 5star wrestling live from the Echo Arena in Liverpool. It holds around 10,000 and it honestly sounds like there's around 200 people there.

Shame they didn't go with a better company by the sounds of it.

Rey on the card. Just got interviewed. RVD and John Morrison mentioned as well.

Random question:

Scurll or Ospreay?

Ospreay by a mile. Will is one of the best wrestlers in the world. Some of the things he is capable of are absolutely mind blowing and in 2017 he scaled back just being a high flier and really is one of the most well rounded wrestlers in the world.

Scurll is by no means bad but over the 6-9 months he has come to rely far too heavily on schtick and his matches seem to blend into each other. Also he is a walking Bullet Club ad board these days which is not to my personal liking either

Reason I ask. There's a channel on sky you can tune in called "Freesports" which is FTA in the UK that I'm watching at the moment.

They're showing 5star wrestling live from the Echo Arena in Liverpool. It holds around 10,000 and it honestly sounds like there's around 200 people there.

Shame they didn't go with a better company by the sounds of it.

Rey on the card. Just got interviewed. RVD and John Morrison mentioned as well.

5* are an absolute sham and have no business being linked in alongside PROGRESS, ICW, OTT, REV PRO or any other legit promotion that have worked their arses off to build the British and Irish wrestling scene into what it is right now.

They are attempting to cash in on the boom by bringing in ex WWE & TNA guys and charging £150 for a ringside seat. Meanwhile they have previously cancelled shows, booked talent and never paid them and just this week were looking for students to film the show you are watching now for free once they brought their own equipment. An absolute disgrace is what they are

They just said they'll be live again next Thursday on Freesports.

Could have been great for one of the proper promotions having a weekly/monthly show on FTA TV.

• Advertisement

Ministry of Darkness undertaker was my favourite version of the undertaker.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement