Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Dean Ambrose is now 1 day away from tying the longest US title reign since WWE brought the title back (MVP, 343 days). I really can't remember when he last actually defended the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

But the Four Horsemen were brilliant individually as well as a stable, that's why they were so damn good.
    :confused:

Yeah, and so are The Shield. But you can't say that, as great as he was, Arn Anderson would've been better off without the Horsemen, the fact he was added so much more weight to whatever he was doing. Similarly, The Shield can all star as singles wrestlers while being a part of The Shield (or going off and doing their own thing for a while then reuniting when need be...but not having a big, permanent split).

I'm not really sure why that's framed as disagreeing with me, it's pretty much the same point I made with a confused smiley at the end. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Angron wrote: »
    Dean Ambrose is now 1 day away from tying the longest US title reign since WWE brought the title back (MVP, 343 days). I really can't remember when he last actually defended the thing.

I checked out the website Cage Match. It seems he actually does defend it regularly. His last title defenses was against Mark Henry twice in Feb and Mar this year.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=62&page=4&year=2013&noHouseShows=true

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I checked out the website Cage Match. It seems he actually does defend it regularly. His last title defenses was against Mark Henry twice in Feb and Mar this year.

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=62&page=4&year=2013&noHouseShows=true

Looking at that though, there was a period from the end of October to his match against Henry in February where he didn't have a match for it. It just mostly feels like a shiny thing he has than a title he defends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Bray Wyatts theme song is the best theme song ive heard in WWE for years and years. Suits him so well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Tinie wrote: »
    Bray Wyatts theme song is the best theme song ive heard in WWE for years and years. Suits him so well.

Then NXT Creative member Rob Naylor and Bray Wyatt sat down to pick out a song via the song database NXT has access to. Just "googling" essentially. After a while they decided to type in "Pink Floyd" and that song came up.

Bray Wyatt did a couple of dark matches at TV tapings and WWE in their infinite wisdom decided to use a theme close to this:

Upon hearing that Rob got Bray to pull every string he could so Bray could use the music the Wyatt would eventual use.

A similar story is that WWE wanted The Shield to carry riot shields with The Shield emblazoned on them. WWE doesn't do subtlety. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

AHHH, those riot shields would've been awesome on a PPV!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In regards Ambrose, without checking, can you remember who he beat for the title?
    Kofi Kingston

I couldnt for the life of me remember, which shows exactly how little the US title means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You can say the exact same about the IC title though.

The last time I cared about that title was when Cody had it...in 2011/2012.

There was a time when the IC title was put on a guy who was being groomed to be the future(Bret, Warrior, HHH, the Rock etc). Now its just an after thought and the champion does nothing but get jobbed out or not defend the title at all.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    You can say the exact same about the IC title though.

The last time I cared about that title was when Cody had it...in 2011/2012.

There was a time when the IC title was put on a guy who was being groomed to be the future(Bret, Warrior, HHH, the Rock etc). Now its just an after thought and the champion does nothing but get jobbed out or not defend the title at all.

Difference is it's easy enough to remember the last few IC champs because it is defended every now and then. Big E, Axle, Barrett, the Miz?

The US meanwhile is Ambrose, .....ehhh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone else think it was a mistake to break up the Prime Time Players? They have done little with Titus and I don't even know if Young had a match the past few weeks.

I thought they had potential to get over as a babyface team (to some extent) if they had been given some wins and some mic time.

The way it's looking now I wouldn't be surprised to see Titus wind up back on NXT a la Brodus; as for Darren Young I think he may soon be wished well in his future endeavours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Young tore his ACL and is out for the foreseeable. WWE wouldn't pull a TNA and sack someone who's out on injury.

Young tore his ACL and is out for the foreseeable. WWE wouldn't pull a TNA and sack someone who's out on injury.

Never stopped them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Volk54

CSF wrote: »
    Brock should eventually come looking for Bryan's title, and that should probably be the end of Bryan's reign unless WWE can come up with a good screwy finish that doesn't undermine either men. What is important is that Bryan gets a good reign until that time. Kane isn't a good start to that.

Would you not think if that gets built up during the authority storyline have another screwjob

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

300_54235.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭CSF

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Have you been watching WWE TV over the last few months? He's clearly the most popular and breakout babyface!

Not sure about that, he's just the one WWE keep telling us is the best. Ambrose and to a lesser extent Rollins are far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CSF wrote: »
    Not sure about that, he's just the one WWE keep telling us is the best. Ambrose and to a lesser extent Rollins are far superior.

That's why I said "most popular" and "breakout babyface", not most talented. He gets the loudest reaction of the three.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    That's why I said "most popular" and "breakout babyface", not most talented. He gets the loudest reaction of the three.

Does he? I can't say I've noticed that myself. You may well be right but for him to be a Wrestlemania champion I think he has to be able to catch the ball and run with it better than the other guys would. Not convinced he would do that. Cesaro on the other hand...

By putting Heyman beside Cesaro you immediately make him the full package, I'm not sure you could say that about Reigns. Reigns needs the Shield where he only needs to be one part of the full package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Reigns has a presence that most people on the whole roster don't have. He's not all there in the ring yet but he doesn't really need to be at the moment (he should be working more long singles matches on house shows to help him along with that). The Rumble crowd would've found Reigns winning much more acceptable (though obviously not their ideal result).

Reigns has a presence that most people on the whole roster don't have. He's not all there in the ring yet but he doesn't really need to be at the moment (he should be working more long singles matches on house shows to help him along with that). The Rumble crowd would've found Reigns winning much more acceptable (though obviously not their ideal result).

So he's not all there in the ring (I actually do enjoy his input to the 6 mans) and terrible at promos, but we are hyping him as the man to teach Brock Lesnar a lesson...

We as internet wrestling fans have a tendency to do that, the list of people that people were saying should have got the streak instead of Lesnar was scary

Step 1: Begin the early water testing stage of a push
    Step 2: Steal underpants
    Step 3: ??????
    Step 4: Profit

• Advertisement

Reigns has a lot to do to prove he's top guy material imo. He's delivered in the ring and he's improving all the time. He is very convincing as a dominant ass kicker.

We still don't have a clue what he's like on the mic though really. And that will make or break someone in WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah yeah he's miles off conquering Brock. Shield, such a cool set-up. (IMO) Best talker Ambrose, best wrestler Rollins, breakout star Reigns. I appreciate they've been slow-building Shield (keeping them as a unit) so they can swim when they're broken up. As opposed to bringing up Drew Mac and proclaiming him the Chosen One and future WWE champion. Poor guy, never recovered.

They need to do it the way they did it during probably the best period of WWE history (Rock and HHH is the feud that springs to mind most). We need to start seeing the likes of Reigns, Cesaro, Ambrose, Rollins, Wyatt (if they absolutely have to), Langston (if they still value him) feuding with each other. Not just any feuds, big feuds that get treated like important parts of the card, important parts of Raw and ones that get people watching.

For example, Reigns v Cesaro over the next few PPVs, let them trade a few wins, neither one looks weak. The Shield able to add an extra dynamic while having feuds of their own (maybe Ambrose v Wyatt). Give the guys a real chance to make stars of themselves. For all the hype about Reigns, I don't think he has had one singles match at a PPV. Cesaro hasn't had a significant one either.

Instead of The Shield having their 6-man tags at every PPVs they should be the Raw matches. The Shield v Collection of heels that they're feuding with at present, that is how it used to be done and still is to some extent.

WWE need to improve at paving the way to becoming the next Rock, HHH, Stone Cold Steve Austin. Bryan got there by accident really. Not something you could say about the aforementioned 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

There won't be another Rock/Austin as their popularity was bolstered by the hottest period of national wrestling.

And they did kinda get there by accident inasmuch as they weren't booked into them roles and were shot there by the fans - booing Rock when he was face and cheering Austin when he was heel.

There won't be another Rock/Austin as their popularity was bolstered by the hottest period of national wrestling.

And they did kinda get there by accident inasmuch as they weren't booked into them roles and were shot there by the fans - booing Rock when he was face and cheering Austin when he was heel.
    The Rock had a super solid upper midcard run before being let near the bigtime.

Stone Cold Steve Austin went from King of the Ring (where WWE announced who they had big plans for) to Yokozuna, to Triple H, to a bunch of near misses against Bret Hart, before Rumble and feuds with Undertaker and Owen Hart (yes I had to check up some of the finer details). About as good a program as you can get before being unleashed at the WWE title.

No accidents there, solid booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno if I'd go that far, their characters are what drove the popularity ultimately rather than the other way around. There's nothing to say that another extraordinarily talented, charismatic guy can't hit those heights again (if not the business as a whole for reasons already discussed here).

Wrestling's nature has a way of ensuring the cream rises. Your Hogans, Rocks and Austins are just cases of the right guys being in the right place at the right time. Once WWE's new business model settles it's just a case of who's there to take the ball and run with it. I think we're approaching 'right time' territory, things seem to be clicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

An injured man, maybe they would.

An injured man who also happens to be black and gay? Not a frigging hope, it would be an absolute PR nightmare.

Young has a job for life in WWE tbh.

As courageous as it was for him to come out, from a business pov it was very smart.

No way will WWE want the bad press they'd get if they ever fire him.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭robvondoom

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No way will WWE want the bad press they'd get if they ever fire him.

The thing about equality is that you're treated the same as everyone else, not better! Prejudice is prejudice whether it's for or against.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

robvondoom wrote: »
    The thing about equality is that you're treated the same as everyone else, not better! Prejudice is prejudice whether it's for or against.

The mistake you're making here is trying to apply an ethical, humanitarian standpoint to a multinational, publically traded entertainment company. WWE have one responsibility, and that's to their shareholders, all other ethical questions are on the list underneath that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement