Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Was thinking about this, but given that we know they work for the WWE, why do the talent have to have a reference to the WWE in their usernames on Social media, twitter for example, just off the top of my head, Seth Rollins - @WWERollins, Daniel Bryan @WWEDanielBryan, Bayley @itsBayleyWWE

Are they contractually obligated to include a WWE reference in all their social media pages, or can they do as they please?

That's my really random wrasslin thought for the day.

Its all branding. And while you may now what their @ is a new fan or somebody new to twitter can just put in Bayley WWE into the search function and get Bayleys @ instead of going through 5,000 creepy roleplay accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm struggling to think of guys who, in the last 20 years, have come into WWE while being completely unknown to a WWE audience, but were a big hit right out of the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

briany wrote: »
    I'm struggling to think of guys who, in the last 20 years, have come into WWE while being completely unknown to a WWE audience, but were a big hit right out of the gate.

Would Randy Orton fit that criteria? I think so myself, there are definitely others too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Braun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Could be argued that Sheamus was one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Brock?

How do we define unknown to WWE fans?

Cena, Batista, Orton etc all came through WWE without a place like TNA, ROH or before WCW and ECW.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

leggo wrote: »
    Braun.

Braun was not a big hit right away. Lumped into the Wyatt family just made him another guy. Once he broke away he was pushed better

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Kurt Angle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Braun was not a big hit right away. Lumped into the Wyatt family just made him another guy. Once he broke away he was pushed better

What do we mean by hit here? Do we mean “they had an impactful debut and have lasted the test of time” or “they were instantly massively over”? I’d say the latter is next to impossible given the question because familiarity is a part of being over. So even if fans react to someone’s debut after vignettes aired, they’re reacting to the vignettes so they know them already. Braun arrived cold and completely unknown, was instantly accepted as a main event level threat after beating up The Shield by himself, now he’s one of the biggest stars in the company. If you’re gonna disqualify him based on the fact that he had a bit of a lull in the middle, that’s true of pretty much everyone except for maybe Brock (who left within 2 years of his TV debut).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Officer999 wrote: »
    Kurt Angle

He'd won a Gold Medal for the USA in the Olympic Games just gone. He'd have been known to plenty of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Omackeral wrote: »
    He'd won a Gold Medal for the USA in the Olympic Games just gone. He'd have been known to plenty of them.

In wrestling though - Olympic wrestlers aren't really well known to be fair, even to pro-wrestling fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Used to love it when I'd watch ROH TV and in the middle of an Adam Cole match you'd hear some country guy break a silence by shouting, 'Adam Cole Baybay!'.

x43r0 wrote: »
    In wrestling though - Olympic wrestlers aren't really well known to be fair, even to pro-wrestling fans

Gold Medal winners usuually are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Officer999

Gold Medal winners usuually are though.

Do you know who won the gold medal in wrestling in the last Olympics then?

Officer999 wrote: »
    Do you know who won the gold medal in wrestling in the last Olympics then?

No but If an American did you can bet they got enough publicity to be known to an American audince.

Same way I know zip about Boxing or Swimming but I can tell you who Katie Taylor, Michael Curruth and Michelle Smith are.

No but If an American did you can bet they got enough publicity to be known to an American audince.

Same way I know zip about Boxing or Swimming but I can tell you who Katie Taylor, Michael Curruth and Michelle Smith are.

In USA they have a lot of gold winners though.

How many can pick out Jeremy Wariner and LaShawn Merritt in a line up?

DM_7 wrote: »
    In USA they have a lot of gold winners though.

How many can pick out Jeremy Wariner and LaShawn Merritt in a line up?

It was a huge story at the time that someone won a gold medal with a broken neck. Angle got more publicity than most.

It was a huge story at the time that someone won a gold medal with a broken neck. Angle got more publicity than most.

Tbh I wouldn't know. Just wondering out loud so to speak. I always assumed the videos that informed people about his history were for the majority as he would be unknown??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭The White Feather

:confused: He didn't win it with a broken neck

It was WITH A BROKEN FREAKIN NECK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember the days when one of the best parts of buying a Smackdown game was being able to watch the titantrons and listen to the themes

Showing your age (as well as mine) there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Had a wrestling morning. A new TNA channel on Twitch. Shows random stuff. Saw the 6 men tag match between Joe, Christan & Kevin Nash Vs. Angle, Tomko & AJ. Great match, the crowd were hot. The glory days of TNA. Show some more of the new impact stuff. What a comedown.

Then NXT, noting major but fun show. Then some of breaking Kayfabe with Vince Russo. A fan of the Kayfabe commentary shows. Think Shawn is a good host.

Now onto House of Hardcore which is also free on Twitch. Tommy Dreamer Promotion. It starts with a heartfelt message from Tommy. It's a mix of ECW guys, Ex-WWE guys (Carlito, MVP & more make an appearance) plus random indie guys. Arik Cannon pops up. Haven't seen him in ten years and he looks different, less fat but blander. It's the type of show you can have on in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

*Looks around and whispers*

I have no idea what Twitch is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Pentecost wrote: »
    *Looks around and whispers*

I have no idea what Twitch is.

Fo Shizzle, That's Wack dude, totes Dench! Twitch is Da Bomb! Brap Brap Brap

*Whispers* don't let on but i've no idea either, im guessing a mix of streaming and gaming and interwebz...maybe were getting old man

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

There an app on PS4 to download, what I'm working off, I am also old.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Fo Shizzle, That's Wack dude, totes Dench! Twitch is Da Bomb! Brap Brap Brap

*Whispers* don't let on but i've no idea either, im guessing a mix of streaming and gaming and interwebz...maybe were getting old man

What is "totes Dench"? Something to do with Dame Judi?
    And as someone who is old and plays games on occasion, yeah Twitch is just that. It's mainly for people to watch other people play games. It does broadcast other stuff of interest but mostly just people streaming themselves. So I don't view it too often.
    Just like saw a facebook friend saying she saw a news story about Kylie Jenner having a baby and she has no idea who she was.

I'm the same with regard modern music. I see news stories about some singer or reality tv star being refused entry to a niteclub as if they were famous, and I'm just thinking I have no idea who they are.

Okay done with the ramble

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder will ronda rowsey do house shows aka overseas tours too in wwe or will see just be a speical attraction type and do the same as Lesner/y2j etc ??

Sum laugh if she turned out to be awful

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I remember when Twitch was the great Justin.tv I shed a tear the day Justin.tv closed down to make way for Twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I remember when Twitch was the great Justin.tv I shed a tear the day Justin.tv closed down to make way for Twitch.

Was pretty good.
    You would always find a stream for Raw or PPV with ease. Then it got to popular so after about the first 15 minutes of a ppv all the streams would be taken down :p

Guess they had to repackage as twitch. Be getting sued too much.

Had a wrestling morning. A new TNA channel on Twitch. Shows random stuff. Saw the 6 men tag match between Joe, Christan & Kevin Nash Vs. Angle, Tomko & AJ. Great match, the crowd were hot. The glory days of TNA. Show some more of the new impact stuff. What a comedown.

Then NXT, noting major but fun show. Then some of breaking Kayfabe with Vince Russo. A fan of the Kayfabe commentary shows. Think Shawn is a good host.

Now onto House of Hardcore which is also free on Twitch. Tommy Dreamer Promotion. It starts with a heartfelt message from Tommy. It's a mix of ECW guys, Ex-WWE guys (Carlito, MVP & more make an appearance) plus random indie guys. Arik Cannon pops up. Haven't seen him in ten years and he looks different, less fat but blander. It's the type of show you can have on in the background.

I find HOH to be pretty bad anytime I've watched it.

Too many former WWE wrestlers I was never a fan of (Spirit Squad, Carlito, Hornswoggle etc) and then you have Dreamer in one of the main events doing his old ECW style match which I got bored of 15 years ago.

You might get the odd good match. Austin Aries Vs Matt Riddle was good at the last special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm watching the January 6th 2000 episode of smackdown and the back and forth on the mic between Kurt angle and the rock is glorious stuff. The rock has the crowd eating out of his hand, it's like a conductor and an orchestra. Fierce bang of nostalgia I have to say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement