Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

What I want to know is how the likes of Lesnar Fanboy can afford such lark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don't understand that whole buzz approaching celebrities at inappropriate times. Only time I'd feel comfortable doing it is when they're getting paid to greet fans. The weird thing about it is that you'd have to be really obsessed to know the flight they're due in on, what hotel they're staying at, etc...

Thought Sasha had zero tolerance for it any way so I'm surprised she'd even angrily indulge an idiot in the situation. :pac:

That's clearly before she said she has that policy. The People who try to find where WWE superstars are staying and what airport they are flying in to is sad. I mean WWE superstars perform in the ring and at other scheduled events. If you want a picture get it then. The fans who get thick with them for not dropping what they are doing are even worse. These people are entitled to privacy just like anyone.

That brock lesnar has some high opinion of himself. He used to have a thing on his twitter bio about "trying to find/figure out my place in this industry" he thinks he's a big shot in this business. Nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Don't understand that whole buzz approaching celebrities at inappropriate times. Only time I'd feel comfortable doing it is when they're getting paid to greet fans. The weird thing about it is that you'd have to be really obsessed to know the flight they're due in on, what hotel they're staying at, etc...

Yep! It's more of an American thing where they're absolutely batshiit for celebs. I'm sure other niches have it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yep! It's more of an American thing where they're absolutely batshiit for celebs. I'm sure other niches have it bad.

To be fair, every time WWE are over here there's usually a slew of tweets asking about where they're staying etc. Though thankfully those will quickly be met with a barrage of counter tweets from people being like "Don't be weird dude." I find the debates that follow fascinating because the people who do it are always so oblivious that it's not a normal thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Omackeral wrote: »
    Son of Mom. Always there with his mother, always front row, always opposite the hard cam. His dad probably works for WWE or something.

Oil money from his late father.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mania 35 on in the Metlife stadium 7th Apr 2019

might try and make the trip. Dont think id afford the full package (HOF, NXT, Mania, Raw and SD along with others) but i could just do the mania event itself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

PTH2009 wrote: »

might try and make the trip. Dont think id afford the full package (HOF, NXT, Mania, Raw and SD along with others) but i could just do the mania event itself

i was thinking the exact same thing just mania and maybe a few of the indie shows as well

sky88 wrote: »
    i was thinking the exact same thing just mania and maybe a few of the indie shows as well

the offical packages at pretty expensive

If i just wanted NXT and mania id prob buy ticekts from TM and fly over the Thurs or Friday and back to Ireland on the monday. Id love to do all the shows but too costly tbh. Dublin to JFK been the flights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ya, found Mania full-on (leaving the house at 4pm for a show that won't be over until around midnight) but the smaller events were more relaxed and enjoyable. Wouldn't be against watching Mania in a bar/house instead. Anyone go to Axxess before, how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

jaykhunter wrote: »

I always thought Sasha herself was one of the people who would wait to meet the wrestlers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I always thought Sasha herself was one of the people who would wait to meet the wrestlers?

Wait in line at a convention or after a show I think not outside a hotel or baggage claim.

That's the thing, you may hear about Cena etc speeding past fans but he is also the guy who was known for giving more time than most to fans in an official capacity. Folks like them deserve their off time too

Wait in line at a convention or after a show I think not outside a hotel or baggage claim.

That's the thing, you may hear about Cena etc speeding past fans but he is also the guy who was known for giving more time than most to fans in an official capacity. Folks like them deserve their off time too

a simple head knod to a kid would only take a few seconds if coming out of a hotel or something

could really be hard on a small kid if there hero bacisally fobbed them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There’s the other side though that the more you give people, the more they want. The reality is that people want to be friends with wrestlers, be respected by them as equals and have this perfect ‘moment’ they’ve built up in their head, which is an unachievable goal. So anything the guys do will ultimately fall short of that. A head nod becomes ‘only’ a head nod, a picture becomes ‘not an autograph’ or ‘he wouldn’t stay and talk to me for 30 seconds’, having a quick chat becomes ‘he wouldn’t read my screenplay’ and so on.

The reality is they don’t owe anyone anything outside of official work. If they do decide to give time or acknowledgement to someone, that’s sound, but if they don’t it’s still okay too. That kid you describe being disappointed should have had their parents temper their expectations, they’re their parents’ responsibility, not John Cena’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

PTH2009 wrote: »

I think this will hopefully be my first Mania. Me and my friend have been threatening for years. New York is probably the handiest trip bar possibly London:o.

We were looking at the packages this year for SS there is serious bang for your buck. Especially considering your accommodation is included. I would be tentative about the whole shebang (HOF, NXT, Mania, Raw, Smackdown) being a bit of a slog but I suppose we'd buy in big style. We've only been waiting 30 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Sorry for the double post.

Just wanted to add that I f'n hate WWEs push towards excluding the number from the logo and all the rest.

It was reported that Vince thought the number makes it look old. I completely disagree. The number adds to the epic feel of it all. It's pretty much carrying the wonderful history of Wrestlemania and how special it is.

WrestleMania-35-logo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Someone on Reddit pointed out that the logo isn't symmetrical and I hate it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would love to see some good old fashioned 60 minute Iron Man matches again.

Seth, Finn, A.J, Joe, Owens it would be great to see them go for 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Paddy Power (@paddypower) Tweeted:
    Lovely turn from Mo Salah. The best turn since Hulk Hogan joined the NWO. https://t.co/dQpTOS9pdP https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/975066912148348928?s=17

LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah here Paddy, stop trying to be likeable when your customers are in a zero-sum game with you!

Here's a spicy hot take I had bouncing around in my head for the last couple of days - the Fabulous Moolah is the female Harvey Weinstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've started my now annual Wrestlemania rewatch(well annual since the network) and 21 wasn't a bad show. That angle vs HBK was magic. Also Wrestlemania 19 wasn't an underrated show in the rasslin community but certainly an overlooked one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also Wrestlemania 19 wasn't an underrated show in the rasslin community but certainly an overlooked one.

WM 19 is only slightly behind WM X7 in my eyes. You've got 5 main event calibre matches. Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho with a superb and believable storyline, awesome in-ring action and a convincing fake out emotional hug ending. Triple H against Booker T, which admittedly, had the wrong winner and a bit of a burial. Hulk Hogan and Mr. McMahon was just a wild and bloody Street Fight that Vince is an expert in and I'd say drew big numbers. Then ya have the finale of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin trilogy. If Brock Lesnar didn't botch his SSP on Kurt Angle, I'd say that would've been one of the most touted WrestleMania Moments going. I reckon with Booker T going over and Brock nailing the shooting star press, Mania 19 would get a lot more love.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Here's a spicy hot take I had bouncing around in my head for the last couple of days - the Fabulous Moolah is the female Harvey Weinstein.

This, this is actually a valid point, read a thread on Reddit's squared circle, and it was quiet the read, will try to find the link to it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Omackeral wrote: »
    WM 19 is only slightly behind WM X7 in my eyes. You've got 5 main event calibre matches. Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho with a superb and believable storyline, awesome in-ring action and a convincing fake out emotional hug ending. Triple H against Booker T, which admittedly, had the wrong winner and a bit of a burial. Hulk Hogan and Mr. McMahon was just a wild and bloody Street Fight that Vince is an expert in and I'd say drew big numbers. Then ya have the finale of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin trilogy. If Brock Lesnar didn't botch his SSP on Kurt Angle, I'd say that would've been one of the most touted WrestleMania Moments going. I reckon with Booker T going over and Brock nailing the shooting star press, Mania 19 would get a lot more love.

Booker T not going over HHH was shocking booking, it was obvious to anyone not on the WWE booking committee that he should have won that night

Wrestlemania 22 is very underrated as well some solid and fun matches what hurts it i think is it doesnt have a great straight wrestling match but has some very good one 3 way world title and mickie trish

Of two very good hardcore matchs too with mick/edge and hbk/vince

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with the first ever women's Money in the Bank, Rumble, Chamber, etc., when will we get the Queen of the Ring tournament?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sky88 wrote: »
    Wrestlemania 22 is very underrated as well some solid and fun matches what hurts it i think is it doesnt have a great straight wrestling match but has some very good one 3 way world title and mickie trish

Of two very good hardcore matchs too with mick/edge and hbk/vince

I love WM 22, it's up there with WM 24 for me. Good choice of opener in the Tag title match with the old guard Kane and Big Show going against the upstarts Carlito and Chris Masters. MITB had a good eclectic mix across two brands. The HBK vs Vince match was a barnburner when it had no right to be, including the genesis of a DX reboot and Spirit Squad shenanigans. The Taker vs Henry casket match was decent enough fare and as you said the Foley vs Edge hardcore bout was pretty iconic. Loved the Women's match and it's pretty much the last time they gave the ladies a proper outing at Mania for a long time. John Cena vs HHH was boosted by a white hot Chicago crowd and was the first time I recall Cena getting booed heavily. The triple threat of Orton, Angle and Mysterio was very short at 9 minutes but was still a fast paced and enjoyable affair.

I think Mania 22 was the last one held in an Arena before they moved to stadiums, that's kinda notable. Also remember reading that Jeff Hardy got homesick from WWE seeing the various Superstars photos (see below) hanging up around the arena, including his brother Matt's, and it prompted his return.

032315_undertaker-henry_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I don't think there was ever bad WrestleMania during ruthless aggression era ('02-'08). I think WM 22 was missing a big markee match like HBK vs. Guerrero, but still good WM.

I think the only bad mania in recent times was were 27 and 32 but even they had some redeeming qualities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think Braun Strowman will be the next Hulk Hogan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Your Face wrote: »
    I think Braun Strowman will be the next Hulk Hogan

I would absolutely love if he picked a random kid from the audience as his tag team partner. While he demolishes 2 lads have the kid go mad in the corner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement